Forget the Past

What Time Changes

Seungri was scared. So scared that his pencil wouldn't stop trembling in class. Top seemed very angry and Seungri could sort of understand why. After all he rejected him to sleep over but just allowed Jiyong to stay over right afterwards. Of course Seungri didn't do it on purpose. He just didn't want Top to see the embarrassing things in his room.

Seungri anxiously waited for the class to be over so that he could finally tell Top what really happened. Finally the sound of the bell he was desperately waiting for finally rang and he got up to immediately go to Top who was still sitting at his desk.

Top looked up at him with angry eyes.

"Top, hyu- sunbae was just lying.. I never invited him he invited himself!" Seungri tried to convince him to forgive him.

"Invited himself? Either way you let him in didn't you? You could have easily refused." Top grumbled still pouting in jealousy. Jiyong got to go to Seungri's house before he did, and Jiyong didn't even like Seungri!

"W-well I had to let him in.. I was scared.. and I thought maybe if we became closer...I can save him..from being like me.." Seungri stuttered. Top finally looked up at him. Then he stood up and grabbed Seungri's wrist, gently this time.

"Where are we going?"

"Rooftop."

.................

Top leaned on the fence on the school rooftop and Seungri took a seat next to him with his knees up against his chest.

"What did you mean by 'save him'?" Top broke the silence while looking straight ahead. Seungri sighed.

"I haven't told this to anyone..not even Daesung..or Youngbae.." Seungri tried to avoid the question. Top dropped down and sat beside him and looked at him with piercing eyes. 

"Tell me. Or I won't forgive you."

Seungri hesitantly met Top's gaze only to look away quickly. He still wasn't used to Top's demanding eyes. Finally he decided he would tell him. Tell him why he wanted to save Jiyong. Tell him why he was no longer Lee Seunghyun.

"Okay I'll tell you but..you have to forgive me okay?" Top nodded in reply.

"10 years ago, I was just like Kwon Jiyong. I formed a little group and we would go bully kids, and hide our weakness by clumping together. At first it was just slight teasing but..." Seungri stopped and sighed. "It all happened when my stepfather began abusing me and mom. He would drink then beat us, drink more then beat us. I began using the kids I would bully as a relief from all the grudge and anger I got from my stepdad." Top listened quietly, a lump appeared in his throat.

"Then there was this one kid. Choi Seunghyun. He was 3 years older than our class and overweight. At first he was just one target but sooner or later he became our group's only target." Seungri coughed a bit, "and all just because he shared the same name as me. Just for that reason we targeted him and tortured him endlessly. Even now I can't believe I did those things to him *sniffle* we made him drink toilet water, cheat on tests for us, get our bags and shoes, beat him up for no reason...." Seungri laughed at his own stupid mistakes as tears began rolling down his cheeks.

"One day he decided to fight back. He cut me a bit in the shpulder right here," Seungri lifted his arm sleeve to reveal the 8 - year-old scar still present on his shoulder. Top just looked at it grimly.

"Went to the hospital and when I got home.. I saw a stepdad beating my mom. It was a normal sight but this time my mom was trying to fight back. While my father was kicking her, my mom was desperately trying to punch back.. that's when I saw it. Suddenly my stepdad began to look like me. My mom started to resemble Choi Seunghyun. And I realized. I was just like the man who I hated the most in the world. I was just like my stepdad. All of a sudden it was as if I was beating my own mother, then it would seem like my stepdad was kicking Choi Seunghyun. I remember I cried so much that day, I threw up 3 times." Top's fist tightened as he fought back his own tears while Seungri just let the tears stream down his face.

"What's worse was that my mom left me that same day. In the morning she was gone, fed up with my stepdad ' s abuse. I was so devastated that it was hard to breathe. I didn't want to even move but to escape my stepdad,I dragged myself to school anyway. Then I heard that Choi Seunghyun was leaving the school. Funny huh? How they would both leave me at the same time. He was leaving..just like my mom..both fed up from being constantly abused. And I was the cause of it. It broke me down so much that even hearing the name 'Seunghyun' would bring tears to my eyes. That's why I changed it. But even after all these years I try to forget, I'm reminded of it everytime I see Kwon Jiyong bullying others.." Seungri sobbed.

"I-If I ever had the chance to see Choi Seunghyun again. I-I-"

Top gulped. He never knew any of this had happened to Seungri. He never knew he went through that much. He never knew that Seungri felt sorry for what he had done. Top pulled Seungri into his arms. Seungri didn't protest and just let himself be embraced by warm arms. He sobbed into Top's chest and Top blink away his own tears. 

"Y-you know. Seungri...the truth is..." Top muttered. He needed to tell him right now. Tell him that he was Choi Seunghyun. Tell him that it's all okay now. Tell him that he doesn't have to think about the past anymore. But a tight wall stopped Top from saying anything. If he told Seungri the truth now, he would definitely misunderstand. Seungri would end up thinking that Top only approached him for revenge. Top couldn't afford to lose Seungri now that he almost had him.

Top closed his mouth again and simply held Seungri closer, his chin resting on top of Seungri's head. 

"I mean... I'm sure Choi Seunghyun forgave you by now. He probably forgot all about it..so please stop crying." 

Seungri shook his head against Top's chest, "No...Even if it were me, I would never forgive someone who treated me like that..not even after 100 years.." He continued to cry into Top's chest.

Top felt his heart breaking. He couldn't bare to see Seungri like this. He wanted to see Seungri's bright smiling face again, the smile that never failed to make him blush. He grabbed Seungri's chin and forced him to look up at him.

"Even if he didn't forgive you. It doesn't matter. You don't have to think about him. Just forget everything about Choi Seunghyun." (Yes that's right. I would rather have you forget my existence than have you suffering like this).

"B-but I can't! To do all those things to him and pretend like it never happened? H-how could I?" 

"Choi Seunghyun doesn't matter anymore. Just think of me all the time." Top smiled at Seungri. (We can erase our painful past together. We can get rid of Lee Seunghyun and Choi Seunghyun's existences. As if they had never happened. As if it were Top and Seungri that was from the start) 

Seungri straightened up and pulled away from Top's arms.

He rubbed his eyes to clean the tears, "B-but I'm always thinking of you anywa-" Seungri gasped and stopped. He could not believe what he just said aloud in front of Top. 

Top grinned "See? Now you can forget Choi Seunghyun, only look at me." He grabbed the back of Seungri's neck and pulled him in for a kiss. 

Seungri's eyes widened, then closed shut tightly. He clutched Top's chest and his hands trembled.

The school bell rang for next class and Seungri pushed Top away. Seungri gently brushed his lips with the back of his hand. He could feel his temperature rising and his face getting hot with red.

"T-the bell..  so ..I ..s -should..go.....um... bye!" Seungri stuttered wildly, his mind wasn't working straight. He stumbled up and sprinted out of the rooftop before Top could react.

Top chuckled a bit. "So cute...Lee Seunghyun."