Shin Really Needs to Get a Grip

A Hopeless Place

This took a while but it's school holidays right now and my manager at work knows this and has given me more shifts. I'm literally working five dyas in a row this week. So I'm not getting as much work done on this as I wanted to. This chapter is just a bit of a bridge between the last one and the one after the next. On a side note my laptop keeps trying to correct Shin to Shine so sorry if it's tripped you up in previous chapters. I don't think is in this one and I will go back and fix it at some point. So enjoy this chapter I hope.


Despite being somewhat necessary, the sneaking around at night had left Takuya rather tired. Takuya had fallen asleep halfway through breakfast and woken up to find Shin standing in the door to his room grinning. It was actually quite unsettling.

“How long have you been standing there?”

“Since the end of breakfast.”

Takuya nodded and stumbled out of bed and into Shin’s stomach.

“Are you going to move?”
“No.”

“Of course not, why would you.”

He pushed past Shin and continued down the hallway, passing Casper coming out of his own room.

 

The Chinese man stopped and waited for Shin to catch up to him and they watched Takuya half fall into the common room.

“He asked you about the clipboard right” Shin frowned. Casper nodded.

“He woke Yongseok and Seyoung up last night. The three of them disappeared into the nurses office. You think they’ll share.”

“He seemed pretty open about it when he spoke to me” Casper replied “you really need to get over that ping pong match by the way. Just talk to him dude, he’s not the bad guy.”

Shin pouted and pulled vaguely rude and definitely immature faces at Casper’s back.

 

It was Seyoung torturing Sangmin today, apparently he’d tried to take Seyoung’s crayons or something equally ridiculous that Takuya didn’t care about. Yongseok was seated quietly at one of the tables looking almost perfectly sane if you ignored that way his eyes flitted around the room, probably watching the little mice. When he noticed Takuya in the doorway he waved the other over.

“What are they up to” Takuya frowned in the direction of Sangmin and Seyoung.

“Don’t know, and I definitely haven’t had enough coffee to want to know” Yongseok replied.

“You sound like Shin” Takuya smirked. Yongseok picked up a nearby cup and took a few dramatic sips. Takuya laughed and tried not to think too hard about the fact that this was the most comfortable he had felt in a long time.

 

Shin stalked into the room after waiting till he could hear Casper’s irritating grunts and promptly grabbed Sangmin, dragging him straight out again by the back of his collar.

“You” Shin jabbed the younger in the middle of the chest for emphasis.

“Me” Sangmin parroted, mostly ignoring Shin.

“You’re on my side” the caffeine addict glared.

“Yup whatever you say” he paused and let his brain catch up to the conversation “what am I on your side for.”

Shin groaned and hit his head against the wall a few times.

“Whatever Takuya is up to. You. Are. On. My. Side.”

“I’m pretty sure you and him are on the same side.”

“Since when were you insightful, you do rain dances” Shin shouted gesticulating wildly “it doesn’t even matter, you’re on my side.”

 

Takuya watched as Sangmin all but skipped back into the room. After shin had dragged him off Seyoung had pulled the files out of the wall cupboard and passed them around. Yongseok had commandeered the files on the nursery, and Seyoung and immediately started pouring over the blue prints. Takuya had started reading through their files and Casper had come over and offered to help and had been given the old patient records.

“Anything I can help with” Sangmin asked approaching the table. Takuya handed him a few of the old employee records.

“Shin” the Japanese man asked as the said male re-entered the room “what about you.”

Everyone’s eyes jumped away from the papers and landed on Shin.

“Fine” he scowled, accepting the old building logs Takuya offered him and taking a seat.

Takuya glanced at Seyoung and Yongseok, Shin was definitely going to be talking to him later. Seyoung pulled a vaguely sympathetic face and Yongseok just shrugged.

“Helpful” Takuya muttered under his breath.

 

As predicted Shin did pull Takuya aside when they were taking a break while the snacks were laid out.

“You, what are you up to” Shin demanded.

“Why do you always start every conversation with you” Takuya pouted.

“What are you up to” Shin repeated.

“I’m just trying to figure out what is going on around here” Takuya snapped “don’t you want to know what’s happening in this place.”

“Of course I do” Shin glared “we all do. We’ve all been in here for years, watched groups of patients come and go. Of course I want to know what’s happening here.”

“So what’s the point of this” Takuya replied.

“I don’t know you.”

“Well you’ve hardly made an effort” Takuya was 136% done with the conversation.

“Ok. Fair point” Shin nodded “tell me what you know.”

“Right now nothing” Takuya muttered “only what Casper has told me about single therapy.”

“I think” Shine started, and Takuya wondered if there was any possible way of getting out of hearing what Shin thought.

“That you’re going about looking through those files the wrong way.”

Apparently not.

“So there’s a right way” Takuya replied.

“Go through them with everyone one at a time. That way if there’s any connections between them you’ll know.”

Takuya pouted, that was actually a fairly good point. He nodded and turned to go back into the common room as the food services trolley was pushed back out again.

“Well are you coming.”

 

Takuya and Shin were both ambushed by Seyoung the moment they stepped back into the brightly lit room.

“You won’t believe this” he grinned “and yes we were eaves dropping.”

Takuya rolled his eyes, of course they were. Sangmin, Casper and Yongseok were hunched over one of the blue prints that had been spread out over one of the round tables.

“What won’t we believe” Takuya sighed.

“The hospital, its layout is wrong” Casper explained only to be whacked upside the head by Seyoung.

“My blueprints.”

“Hurry up already” Yongseok complained.

“Look at the building labels” Seyoung instructed. Takuya did as he was told before looking at Seyoung and shrugging.

“These labels can’t be right” Shin interrupted “half the hospital is flipped around, the only things in the right place is the TB facility and our ward.”

“Is out ward really that big” Takuya frowned looking at the building marked psychiatric.

“Not anymore, but it used to be” Seyoung replied before launching into his explanation of exactly what he had found.

 

“The TB facility and psych ward has to be at the back to keep their patients away from the rest of the hospital and obviously normal society. The front of the hospital was supposed to be the maternity ward and the nursery, but see that building connected to the closed half of our ward, what does it say?”

“Nursery” Shin read “why is it so close to the back?”

“Look at the layout” Seyoung went on, ignoring the caffeine addict “if we were able to see out that window, we would be looking straight at the nursery.”

Everyone turned towards the large window.

“Well” Takuya breathed “it certainly explains why they don’t want us to see out.”


Yeah, so that happened. In case you couldn't tell the nursery is going to play a pretty big part eventually. I asked Yongseok's little mice and they agreed it was a good idea. Also nursery's creep me out so that makes it even better. At least it should, you know first hand experience and all that. Anyway that's it for this chapter, I'll try and get the next one up soon but like I said I'm working at lot so we'll see. :)