Welcome

A Hopeless Place

Takuya wasn’t quite sure why he was here, but he was definitely sure he didn’t want to be here. When he tried to make a break for it from the reception the guards had grabbed his arms and dragged him through the doors to the main section of the hospital? Asylum? Takuya decided to go with asylum. The corridors where dark and he had a hard time figuring out what color anything actually was, but he was pretty sure that they walls were covered in graffiti. He figured he should have been paying more attention to where the guards were dragging him, but between all the yelling and kicking and trying to break out of their hold he didn’t really think of that.

 

Eventually the guards brought him into a room that looked like some sort of attic. It was painted entirely white and was surprisingly light and airy. The room appeared to have been mildly peaceful before Takuya’s kicking and screaming entrance. There were at least seven of other patients? Prisoners? Prisoners, in the room, though Takuya only noticed five of them and they seemed to be the only ones exhibiting any strange bahaviour. The first was a blond wearing some kind of navy blue sweater over his standard white scrubs. The young man was scribbling almost frantically on the wall in what looked like various colors of crayon. The next was a dark haired man only wearing the pants from his scrubs and a rather tight, in Takuya’s opinion, pink exercise vest. He had just jumped up from a pink exercise ball and was grabbing something off a nearby table. The next young man also had dark hair but his was styled into what Takuya assumed were at one point dreadlocks before he decided to stand them on end. He was prancing around the room, interprative dance maybe, it didn't really matter, he looked like he was crazy. The last one with dark hair was also flecked with a silvery color that had Takuya stumped as to whether or not it was natural, he was crouching on a chair in front of a chess board sipping coffee from a tea cup like he was at the Mad Hatters tea party. The last was a young man with red hair wearing the top hat, waist coat, formal coat of a Victorian nobleman over his scrubs, he appeared to conducting an imaginary orchestra oblivious to the commotion of the other prisoners and Takuya.

 

In fact none of them seemed to pay any attention to Takuya at all. All the other prisoners, Takuya had decided they were all definitely prisoners here, where sitting around tables, reading, playing chess or drinking some hot drink. They all seemed perfectly normal compared to the other five.

 

The guards stopped and forced Takuya to face the center of the room. A young nurse wearing a form fitting white uniform stepped forward. She had dark hair and held a clipboard comfortably against her chest.

She surveyed Takuya who was being held in a half kneeling position by the guards. She kept glancing between him and her clipboard and Takuya could feel eyes burning into his back. Looking over his shoulder he found the dark eyes of the man with the silver in his hair locked firmly onto him. Clearly that one really was crazy, he was probably going to try and kill Takuya while he slept, maybe he’d have to sleep with a shiv strapped to his ankle, or something.

 

The nurse was writing something on her clipboard when Takuya looked back and he took this as a chance to observe her. His oh-so-intelligent conclusion was that she was, aesthetically anyway, very attractive. She nodded to the guards to who dragged Takuya back through the room and into the corridors before throwing him into a small cell like room. It was definitely covered in graffiti and Takuya wondered if the blond drawing on the wall had anything to do with that. The guards threw a set of white scrubs in Takuya’s face ordering him to change and hand over his old tee and jeans, he was allowed to keep his jacket and shoes so long as the pockets were checked by the guards. He shrugged the scrubs on and waited while every single pocket in his jacket was turned inside out. Like there was anything to find in his pockets.

 

Takuya had only been in Korea for a little over a year, originally from Japan he’d just dropped most of his savings on a brief trip back to visit family. He literally had about thirty thousand won to his name and a dingy room in some rundown international hostel that was not worth the bi-weekly rent. God knows not having to pay to stay in here was a bonus. They downside being that he was in this hole.

 

When he had his jacket back he was allowed to return to the airy attic room. The nurse was waiting for him at the door.

“Hello Takuya ssi” she greeted with a smile “Welcome to our hospital.”

She led him over to a table closer to the middle of the room.

“I’m just going to go over a few things with you ok?”

Takuya shrugged.

“Ok so the schedule” she started “we serve breakfast at seven thirty and you’ll receive it in your own room. Then at eight o’clock everyone is allowed out of their rooms into here which is essentially the common area and where patients spend most of their day.

Free time goes from eight when breakfast finishes till six thirty in the evening when we serve dinner. During free time you can either be in your room or in here, as you can see most patients prefer to be out here. Beverages are available all day and small snacks are put out at eleven and two on one of those round tables.

Dinner is served back in your room and breaking of the rules will either land you in solitary confinement or in for special treatment.

Four times a week you will have a single therapy session. To and from solitary, special treatment and single therapy sessions you will be required to wear a straitjacket, every patient has their own somewhere in their rooms, you are allowed to personalize it if you so desire.”

 

She returned to her feet beckoning Takuya to follow. She stood to the side of the room and gestured to the rest of the prisoners.

“This is everyone in our care at the moment. A few of them are actually transferring out tomorrow morning so I won’t bother introducing you to them” she went on talking “the one drawing on the wall in corner is Lee Seyoung, mentally he is believed to be less advanced than his physical age, but it’s possible he is simply acting so watch out for that when you’re talking to him.

On the exercise ball is Chu Xiao Xiang, most people call him Casper. In case you couldn’t tell he’s originally from China. He’s rather unhealthily obsessed with exercise.

The one running around is Kim Sangmin. I’m not entirely sure why he’s here exactly but every time we released him he was back within the month so we’re trying to figure out societies issue with him.

At the Table by the window is Shin Won Ho, or just Shin. He has a rather bad caffeine addiction but that’s not our problem. He is prone to staring and spacing out so don’t let that get to you.

And Mr. Circus leader over there is Kim Yongseok. Until he gets to know you he’ll probably just act like you don’t exist, he’s our youngest patient here and he also hallucinates so he may try and point at things that aren’t there.”

 

She then turned to face the room square on and cleared .

“Everyone” she called “this is our newest patient Terada Takuya. Please make him feel welcome.”