Takuya Has Caught the Conspiracy Disease

A Hopeless Place

I am actually so excited aout this chapter. Like seriously.

This is probably a good time to note that later on this story will have some supernatural/horror elements, becuase although the Play With Me MV isnpired the asylum part of this story it was also inspired by the fact that at the time I start with the planning for it I had been marathoning my favourite Supernatural episodes and the first (and only) season of Constantine. The rest of the hospital and its story are vaugly inspired by Waverly Hills Sanatorium and ByBerry Mental Hospital and probably more as the story progresses.


He wasn’t sure how long after that they were in ‘solitary confinement’, just that he had fallen asleep not long after Yongseok and had woken up in his own bed with the ties of his strait jacket undone. He slipped out of the constricting fabric, hung it on its designated hook and chugged at least half the glass of water sitting on his shelf.

“No, why would you do that.”

“” Takuya muttered. Shin’s yell had startled his kidney into the sharp corner of the shelf. He decided, probably stupidly, to go see what Shin was yelling about.

“Yeah this was a mistake.”

 

Shin was repeatedly yelling ‘how could you’ and pelting sugar cubes at a rather amused Sangmin, while Seyoung and Yongseok crouched on the nearby table and watched while passing a donut back and forth.

“What happened here” Takuya asked Casper who seemed to be ignoring everything and doing sit ups.

“Sangmin put sugar in Shin’s coffee, Shin caught him and he flipped his , those other two are just finding this whole thing far funnier than it actually is” the Chinese man replied.

“Thanks” Takuya replied.

“Donut” asked a voice over Takuya’s shoulder.

“” he yelled, Seyoung blinked innocently holding a chocolate donut in front of Takuya’s face.

“A thanks, I think.”

“Come watch” Seyoung grinned dragging Takuya over to the table, climbing onto the top and patting the spot between him and Yongseok. Takuya sat down on the table top slowly eating his donut. On either side Seyoung and Yongseok had returned to their crouching and staring. Shin had stopped screaming and was now crumbling the sugar cubes down Sangmin’s shirt.

 

“He should have known better” Yongseok sighed “still at least it wasn’t hot coffee this time.”

“What happened last time” Takuya frowned.

“Shin poured hot coffee down his shirt” Seyoung answered. On Takuya’s other side Yongseok was sitting down properly and crossing his legs.

“It was funny.”

“You’re definitions of funny are very, very different from mine” Takuya replied.

“You just haven’t been here long enough” Seyoung joked “give it time.”

“Nurse” Casper called suddenly. Yongseok and Seyoung promptly launched themselves at Shin, Seyoung pulling the other over to his tea party table, while Yongseok shook all the sugar out of Sangmin’s shirt.

 

Nurse Grace came in only a few seconds later with her clipboard.

“Takuya and Sangmin, you have single therapy” she announced. Takuya sighed and allowed the guards to lead him back to his room.

“I just got out of this thing” he scowled shoving his arms into the awkward sleeves of his strait jacket. The guards did up the straps, jabbed the light muscle relaxant into his neck and heaved him onto a hospital bed.

“Here we go, here we go” Sangmin muttered. Takuya rolled his eyes, he was always so excited about single therapy. Takuya wasn’t as happy. Single therapy involved being strapped into a chair in an otherwise empty dark room. Takuya was pretty sure there was something else to it, but they were always given another shot after they were put in the chair and he could never remember anything. He did know that when he woke up nurse Grace was there writing in her ever present clipboard, and he definitely wanted to know what it was she wrote on that clipboard. So he did the only thing he could think of, ask Casper.

 

Casper was the only one Takuya found was able to hold a halfway sane conversation, if you ignored all the grunting and sweating. Shin was still holding a grudge about the ping pong thing, Seyoung just tried to draw on Takuya’s face, Sangmin would just grin and ask stupid questions and Yongseok would just start telling him what the mice were up to, which thankfully no longer involved various parts of Takuya’s body (he still had nightmares about mice his eyeballs).

 

“Hey Casper” Takuya started sitting on the floor next to Casper’s head “do you know what happens in single therapy?”

The Chinese man halted his press ups to squint at Takuya, before glancing around the room.

“Keep this quite” he whispered “I was being taken out of my single therapy session while Seyoung was in the middle of his. I didn’t hear much but from what I could tell they had hypnotised him or were trying to at least make it look like that was what was happening. They were asking him questions though.”

Takuya frowned running through the information Casper had just given him.

“If they were asking him questions could that be what Nurse Grace is always writing in her clipboard.”

“Most likely” Casper nodded “kinda creepy, if you think about it. We could be talking about all kinds of things and we wouldn’t even know it.”

“Thanks for that delightful thought” Takuya replied.

“Shin has tried to stay awake before, actually I’m pretty sure that’s how he got hooked on caffeine, anyway the point is no one has ever been able to stay awake.”

“I need to see what’s in that clipboard” Takuya interrupted.

“You’ll wanna talk to Seyoung and Yongseok” Casper nodded “Seyoung knows his way around every inch of this place, a good lot of his scribbles are covering up little tricks about this place and Yongseok can actually work his way out of his strait jacket, freaked the guards out first time it happened, good with locks too.”

“Thanks, I’ll talk to them then” Takuya replied.

“If you find anything, don’t forget to share.”

“Will do.”

 

Takuya waited until after lights out and Shin had stopped his irritating pre-sleep tea party ritual before pegging disgustingly burnt chocolate chips that he’d stuffed in his shoes, across the hall into Yongseok’s room.

“Stop it” the younger pouted after the sixth one had bounced off his nose.

“I need your help with something” Takuya hissed. Yongseok seemed to perk up and shuffled to the end of his bed.

“With what?”

“Nurse Grace’s clipboard, I need to see what’s in it” Takuya replied.

“According to Casper the papers are swapped out for fresh note pages each night” Yongseok mused “however because there used for notes during treatments and for general patient observations they should be kept in the filing cabinets in the office. All of the staff have to have their work finished and offices locked up before we’re served dinner, so there shouldn’t actually be anything in the clipboard.”

“Casper said you and Seyoung would be able to help me” Takuya frowned “can you?”

“Gimme a minute.”

 

Yongseok spent definitely over a minute fiddling with something on his strait jacket. He came back with the minute hand from the pocket watch. A few minutes later the two of them were standing just inside Seyoung’s room.

“You really shouldn’t have been allowed that pocket watch” Takuya muttered.

“My precious.”

Takuya rolled his eyes and gingerly poked Seyoung’s calf with his toe.

“Wrong” Yongseok sing-songed. The younger knelt down until he was level with Seyoung’s face before jabbing his pointer finger onto the others nose.

“Wake up” he demanded repeating the action “wake up.”

Takuya was about to yank Yongseok back when Seyoung slapped pathetically at the offending digit.

“What.”

“Up, up, up. Takuya wants to break into the nurses’ office.”

Seyoung sat up grinned.

“Fun” he clapped “what for.”

“The notes from her clipboard” Takuya replied ignoring the little whining noise Yongseok made at being interupted."

“Yay. So, we going now.”

 

Seyoung led them around a labyrinth of hallways and whenever they came to a locked door Yongseok would take over with his clock arm. Once in the nurses’ office they were faced with the difficulty of deciding how they were to go about looking through the files, which turned out to be spread out among three decent sized filing cabinets.

“Ok” Takuya sighed “Yongseok goes through and opens the draws one by one, I’ll look in and see if any of the files seem like they hold any actual relevant information and Seyoung will memorise them.”

Yongseok nodded and set to work on the first draw while Seyoung muttered something about being the eldest and that it should mean something. Takuya ignored him and hovered behind Yongseok’s shoulder like the younger was a teenager on the computer and Takuya was his helicopter parent.

 

The first two draws where full of useless things like stationary shipments and plumbing bills. The third draw held ex patient records dating back to a little over thirty years ago. Takuya took out the first few.

“Just take them” Seyoung told him “this drawer hasn’t been opened in ages, we can hide them in the wall cupboard in the common room. That way we can read over them later.”

Takuya frowned at the mention of a wall cupboard but tucked the files under his arm regardless.

The rest of the draws in the first filing cabinet were useless and by the time Takuya and Seyoung were done going through them Yongseok was two drawers ahead of them. Takuya took a few files about the closed wards and Seyoung had all but forced him to take the entire collection of files on the nursery and the cases from there, which they all seemed completly obsessed with, before Yongseok tugged on his sleeve.

“Takuya you might wanna see this.”

Ignoring the strange feeling he got upon realising that it was the first time Yongseok had used his name Takuya peered into the draw Yongseok was standing in front of. Inside were six files at least three times thicker than any other they’d come across. A glance at the labels confirmed Takuya’s suspicions, these were their files. He quickly took a chunk from the beginning and middle of each of their files and slipped them into an empty manila folder and adding it to their growing collection. Seyoung had been going through the draws Takuya had skipped to see what Yongseok had wanted and had found some employee records.

 

Everything else was a useless as the plumbing bills until they reached the final draw.

“Oooh blueprints” Seyoung grinned.

“Covered in dust” Yongseok noted scrunching up his nose slightly “they musn’t open this one much either.”

“Can we take some, can we” Seyoung all but begged. Takuya shrugged and the older gleefully grabbed at least half of the dusty papers.

“Let’s go” Yongseok suggested closing a few of the drawers they’d left open “we can put them in the wall cupboard and go over them tomorrow with the others. There aren’t any therapy sessions tomorrow so all the staff should stay away from the common room.”

Takuya and Seyoung agreed and they quickly moved back through the building to the common room. The wall cupboard was literally an old built in closet that had been painted over and forgotten by the staff. The handle had been removed and it simply looked like an old nail hole in the wall. It was actually a long nail bent at a right angle that Seyoung took of the top shelf on the other corner and slipped into the hole before rotating it slightly and pulling the door open. It was mostly empty except for the small connect-a-pen sculptures in the corner. They dumped the files, closed the door, Seyoung replaced the nail on the top shelf, Yongseok locked them all back into their rooms and Takuya spent the rest of the night wondering why he risked getting caught to find out about this place.

“Their conspiracy suspicions are really contagious.”


I love this chapter. Not too much development as far as Takuya and Yongseok's relationship, but it was so fun to write. Shin and Sangmin will get a lot more to do next chapter as well. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! :)