Ch 2

Worth Risking

     Lunch came around and I have to admit that the lunch here is amazing, way better than American schools'. So every single day the menu is different, but they serve more than a buffet could. The best thing is that the food is free and lunch is an hour long! Let's see what they have here: Korean BBQ, Glass Noodle Soup with a variety of sides, Seaweed Soup, Spicy Rice Cakes, Kimbap with Fish Cakes, and more. Wow! I'll go with the spicy rice cakes and kimbap. 

     One thing that I hate about being the new kid is trying to blend in, and make friends. The cafeteria is almost packed, and barely have any tables left. I'm afraid that I'll take someone's seat and they'll make a big deal out of it. Aren't Korean high school students like that in the dramas? I found a table, however, someone was sitting there. Hopefully, he'll let me sit next to him. "Excuse, is it okay if I sit here? And is there room for two?" The guy looked at me and softly said, "Of course." 5 minutes later, I spotted Seokmin who was in the lunch line. I motioned him to sit next to me when he's out of the line. Seokmin sat down next to the guy and it seems to me that Seokmin knows him. "Oh, you're in my first period class! I'm the new kid, remember? Let's be friends yeah?" Seokmin held out his hand for a handshake. The guy shyly smiled and shook Seokmin's hand. I thought it was the right timing for me to introduce myself as well. "Hi, my name is Yerin. I'm also a new kid." I gave him a bright smile, first impressions are important ya know. "What's your name again?" Seokmin asked. "Xiumin." the guy replied. The guy was nerdy-looking, however, good-looking as well. He seems really shy, and talks softly. It's hard to hear him, but I have good hearing so it's a-okay. We ate our lunch together and talked, trying to get to know each other more. Xiumin is a really nice guy. He has manners and class, what a gentleman!

     While eating, Xiumin kept on glancing and smiling at me. Seokmin noticed and asked, "She's pretty huh? Why do you keep on looking at her?" Xiumin choked on his food. "Oh no. I mean she's pretty. I'm looking at her because her face is getting really red." Seokmin looked at me, then looked at my spicy rice cakes. "OHHHH. It's because she can't handle spicy food that well. But she always try her best to eat them, to 'practice'." Xiumin put his fork down. "I'm curious about you two. I assume that you guys are dating? You guys seem to know a lot about each other." Seokmin and I looked at each other and gave an awkward laugh.

"We're best friends. We met in middle school, and didn't realized that our parents knew each other. We're just really close I guess." I responded.

"Have you two ever thought of dating?"

"We're a little too close to date." I let out a weak chuckle. On the other hand, Seokmin didn't say a word. I wonder what's up with him. 

     A big, tall guy approached to our table and wrapped his arm around Xiumin. "Xiumin, what are you doing here? And with these people? Who are they, new?" His voice was deep, and he look like a high school delinquent. He looked at my name tag, "Jang...Yerin. A new kid, I see." Next to my lunch was my binder, which had my schedule on the front. He took my binder without my permission. "Oh hey...we have culinary arts together!" He set my binder down. Culinary Arts is next period, right after lunch. Great, more food after eating food. "The name's Park Chanyeol. See you in a few minutes." And like just that he left, waving Xiumin goodbye. 

     "That's Chanyeol, my friend." Xiumin explained. "He made seem rude and all, but he's a great person. Yerin-ah? Am I allowed to say that? Don't fall for him. He's a huge flirt." he added.  "Of course, you're allowed to say that. We're friends now. And I'm not really looking forward to have a boyfriend at the moment." I'm not really interested in that Chanyeol guy. I mean, from what I saw, he looked like a trouble maker. I don't want any trouble. That's a no no. 

     I have a passion for cooking and eating. That's why I'm taking Culinary Arts. The classroom was arranged for students to have their own station to cook. My station was between Chanyeol's and...Kyungsoo? I didn't know he's taking a cooking class. I don't know why Chanyeol is taking this class as well. It doesn't seem like he's the type to be honest. I don't want to bother and talk to him.

     "Hey Kyungsoo!" I tried saying hi to the guy but he just plainly gave me a smile. Not even a hello? Wow, how cold. That's okay...I guess. Class started but the teacher doesn't seem  to know that I'm here as a new student. I'm very unlucky today, there's no lesson but a test. Kyungsoo was nice enough to help me out and gave me some information about the class: Every month there will be an evaluation and you must come up with a unique dish (with the ingredients provided). He pointed to the corner of the class, showing me the class's fridge for the ingredients. One by one, everyone took turns coming up to the fridge. Since I was new, I didn't know when I could go up. I just waited until everyone has gone, and went last. I'm so stupid because most of the ingredients were taken. I looked into the fridge and grabbed whatever was left: frozen shrimp, garlic, chives, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and tomatoes. I made eye-contact with Kyungsoo and he mouthed, "Good-luck." to me. For some reason, I was over-whelmed. I want to impress everyone now. 

     First I needed to make my own sauce. It consists of oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, chicken bouillon powder, soy sauce and a little bit of sugar. I started by defrosting the shrimp with hot water, and drained the water after they're not so frozen anymore. Next, I took my knife and started to cut the tomatoes and chopped the garlic and chives. I'm so excited to finish this dish! I mix everything together and started to oil up the pan. With the tomatoes, chives and garlic together, the aroma filled the air. Everyone was looking at me but I tried my best to continue cooking. The teacher walked towards to my station and just stood there to observe me. After I put my dish for display and grading, everyone rushed over to my station. 

"Jang Yerin? Am I correct? Why, this dish is delicious!" The teacher brightly smiled as she kept on eating. I made enough for everyone in the class, they all tried some of my shrimp. I think they really like me dish! Even Kyungsoo looked like he enjoyed eating it. Chanyeol walked over to me. "Wow, this is amazing. You're a great cook!" Not to be cocky, but I'm pretty used to people giving me compliments on my cooking. "Thanks." 

     "Hey, do you have a cell phone on you by any chance?" he asked. I took my cell phone and gave it to him, "Here, use it." He dialed a number and called it. A few moments later his phone rang. "Aren't you going to pick up your phone?" I asked. I'm so confused. Why did he ask for my phone when he had one? "Please leave a message f-" The receiver did not pick up so he gave me back my phone and left. I looked at the contact, and he somehow entered his name without me noticing. This guy, I can't even with him. 

     After a refreshing night shower, I dressed in warm pjs and the hair blow dryer. A few moments later I received a text from...Chanyeol? 

Thanks for giving me your number. Good night cutie, see you tomorrow. ;)