Ch 1

Worth Risking

     "Seokmin-ah! Hurry up, we're going to be late to school!" I shouted from his gate. What's taking this guy so long? Ugh, even I could get ready faster than him. Seokmin walked out of his front door, waving his mom good-bye. "Have a nice first day you two!" she smiled kindly while closing the door. I smiled back at her but when Seokmin approached me I tapped my foot, folded my arms together, and tried to look as grumpy as possible. He looked at me and started to laugh, "Yerin-ah. Being grumpy really isn't your style." I started to laugh too, "I know. Now let's go before we're late for real!" 

     We're from America but our parents decided to move to Korea for us to maintain our "Korean culture". So Seokmin and I decided to attend Seoul High as transfer students. Today is our first day...which is the 100th day of school for everyone else. Seokmin is a skater, he always bring his skateboard with him everywhere. He could've just skated to school but, since I don't skate, he's walking with me there. Seoul High isn't as far from our houses than we thought. It was probably a 10-15 min walk?

Seokmin tapped my head. "What do you want?" I asked, pretending to be annoyed.

"I heard this school have cute boys." he winked. 

"Are you suddenly interested in boys or something? Do you want me to be your wing-woman?" 

"No, you've been single for a few years now. Go find yourself a boyfriend." 

"Get yourself a girlfriend first, loser." 

     It's true, I've been single for 2-3 years now. I have to admit that I miss the feeling of being comfortable, but I like the independence that I have when I'm single. I'll just "try" to focus in school for now. I'll date when I'm a sophomore or junior. But my goal is to date before senior year. I want to have someone to take me to prom. 

     "Yah. Yerin, we're here!" Seokmin exclaimed as we stood in the middle of the school's courtyard, which was in front of the school building. Seoul High is bigger than I thought it would be. It looks more like a U.S. college than a Korean high school. I am impressed with what I see. Hopefully, I'll have a good start here. I walked into the office with Seokmin to get our schedules. Turns out that we only have one class together, second period biology. First period started already, but it was okay for us since we were new. Seokmin and I split into our separate ways and walked to our first period. What's my first period again? Oh, English. I'll ace that class. I'm from America after all. On the paper, it says that the classroom is A-1. I looked around the hallways and I saw Section A. I assume that A-1 is in Section A? 

     I finally found A-1. I looked through the window, and saw around 25-30 students. The classroom wasn't chaotic, but wasn't a peaceful as well. I walked in slowly, trying not to receive any attention from the others. The teacher was a female, a really nice looking woman. "You must be a new student. Let me settle the class down so you could introduce yourself." Well, I guess I'll receive attention even when I don't want to. "Alrighty class, we have a new student. Quiet down so she can introduce herself!" It didn't take long for the class to quiet down. However, I heard a few guys cat-calling me. The teacher smiled at me, "Go on, introduce yourself." I took a deep breathe. "Uh, hello. My name is Jang Yerin, and I'm a transfer student. I'm from the states and I'm glad to be here. I want to have a good start here, and make new friends. I hope we'll get along." With a finishing touch to my 30 sec speech, I smiled. A few were in awed when I said that I was from America. I'm pretty sure Korean-Americans are not rare to bump into in Korea. The teacher reached out for a handshake, "Welcome Yerin. My name is Ms. Lee. There's an empty seat in the back for you." I shook her hand, said a quick thank you and walked towards the seat. 

     As I sat down, I looked around to get used to this "environment". I was surrounded by all guys for some reason. Most of the girls sat on the other side of the classroom. I guess I'll be making a lot of guy friends then. I don't mind that. Less drama, to be honest. It's sad when they mostly friend-zone me or treat me like their little sister. I looked at the guy next to me. Big eyes, thick heart-shaped lips, nice hair and great sense in fashion. He looked at me, which was awkward because his eyes are so big, and I feel like he's looking into my soul or something. We both smiled at each other and introduced ourselves. "Hi, my name is Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo." "My name is Yer-" "Yerin. I know, you introduced yourself like 2 minutes ago." he interrupted and chuckled. I have to be honest with you, that was a cute chuckle. 

 


 

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this little chapter. Please subscribe for more and it'll mean so much to me if you leave some feedback. Thank you <3

 -BaoVan (The Author)