UFO

BTS Stories (2020 - Updated!)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Title:  UFO

Author: hangarianne

Characters: Taehyung / Kelly (OC)

Requested by / Dedicated to: VIPKellBell

Disclaimer: This is a BTS fan fiction originally written by hangarianne. Any similarities to real-life persons, situations, places, etc. are coincidental. No copyright infringement intended.

Note to VIPKellBell: Hello~ I don’t know if you still remember this request but it’s finally here. Sorry for taking a long time and for not following the plot you requested. I know this should have been based on BTS’ song ‘Hold Me Tight’ but I had difficulty writing it. I still tried to incorporate some of the points you mentioned so I hope you’d enjoy reading this ^^

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Kelly's POV

 

"This is Taehyung and he'll start his training in our unit today."

My eyes shifted from the face of Namjoon, my immediate supervisor, to the face of the tall young blonde-haired man beside him. Our gazes met and he bowed slightly with a small smile gracing his lips. I bowed back and faked a smile, thinking, 'So this is the guy.'

 

It was last week when our department head advised us about having someone trained in our unit for two months. She specifically told us that this person should be treated as VIP because he is the son of the friend of Mr. Park, one of our company's senior executives.

"I want you to be careful and treat him nicely. He'll be giving feedback to his father who will subsequently tell Mr. Park."

My colleagues and I voiced out a 'yes' in chorus.

"I want you, Kelly, to be his mentor. Teach him the process, everything he needs to know about our unit's tasks and responsibilities."

My heart thumped in panic. 'Me? Are you kidding me?' I told myself as I hesitantly nodded in agreement to what our department head said. Despite working for over three years in the same unit, I've always had zero to none confidence over my skills. Despite people, even my own boss, often complimenting me, I never thought I was good enough to be someone's mentor.

 

"Kelly?" Namjoon's voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I panicked realizing that they saw me spacing out.

"I-I'm sorry." I bowed and stole a glance at Taehyung who didn't even make an effort to conceal the teasing smile on his face.

"I'll leave you two. Taehyung, if you need anything, just let Kelly or me know, okay?"

"Yes, Mr. Kim. Thank you so much."

Namjoon smiled and looked at me. He mouthed, "Do well."

Of course, or else I'm dead.

-------------------------------------------------------

 

3rd person / Reader's POV

 

"So we're in charge of safekeeping various documents. We also— Mr. Kim, are you with me?"

Taehyung nodded. "Sorry, is my face irritating you?"

'Yes,' Kelly wanted to answer. Unknown to the trainee, the woman felt uncomfortable mentoring him because of the male's intimidating presence and background.

"No. I just thought you were... uhh..."

"I looked like I was staring blankly at you?" Taehyung continued, making the woman flustered.

"No!" Kelly waved her hands and shook her head in panic. "I feel like you're judging me, that's all." The woman bowed her head in embarrassment.

"Yes, I was staring and I think you're really good. I'm excited to learn a lot from you."

The two locked gazes and Kelly was the first to break eye contact.

"As I was saying—"

"Ms. Kelly!" A voice called not far from Kelly's workstation. She looked up and found Jimin, another trainee assigned to our unit, running towards my area.

"Oh, hi, Jimin! Did you do well?"

The black-haired male nodded. "Mr. Im asked me a few questions and I answered them perfectly. I think I'll do well on the actual exam (revalida)."

The brown-haired woman smiled, her eyes disappearing into crescents. "That's great!"

"Ms. Kelly, I think you were explaining something earlier."

Jimin's eyes shifted from Kelly's face to Taehyung's and his smile disappeared. It’s the latter's first day in the documentation unit and the black-haired male already came to the conclusion that he would never get along with Taehyung.

'Not when I have to share Kelly with him. She's supposed to teach only me,' he muttered to himself.

"Ah, yes." Kelly looked over to her other mentee and spoke, "Jimin, you can join Jungkook's lecture for now since I'm still giving Taehyung an overview of our work here. We'll talk later, okay?"

The male forced a smile and nodded, not only did he dislike Jungkook, he hated the latter's trainee too who goes by the name Min Yoongi.

"Hey, Kookie, Jimin's joining you for a while," Kelly told her colleague who was seated a few cubicles from her. Jungkook made an "ok" sign with his fingers and motioned for Jimin to approach him. The latter rolled his eyes and sighed as he made eye contact with Yoongi who had a smug look on his face.

-------------------------------------------------------

Weeks went by with Kelly juggling her working hours between doing tasks on her own and teaching Taehyung and Jimin. With the older male having started his training two weeks earlier than the other, Kelly devoted more of her time to Taehyung which Jimin obviously didn't like. The woman knew the reason behind this but she still felt bad because she wanted to be a good mentor to both males and not let Jimin's feelings and Taehyung's VIP status get in the way.

 

"Documentation," Kelly greeted without checking the receiver.

"Kelly. We need to talk."

"Sir Namjoon." Kelly stiffened on her seat as she sensed how serious her supervisor's voice sounded over the phone. "Should I come over to your office, Sir?"

"No need. I just want to inform you that starting today, Taehyung will be your sole mentee. Jimin can work by himself now. If he needs help, he can ask Jungkook or Jin."

"I understand." Kelly paused and shot Taehyung a glance. Seeing him busy with the task she had given him, Kelly lowered her voice and asked Namjoon, "Did he complain about me?"

Namjoon chuckled. "Of course not, in fact, he gave positive feedback about you and requested that he be your sole trainee. He said he wanted to learn a lot from you and he even extended his stay for another month."

"Another month?!" Kelly's voice came out louder than intended, earning the looks of her co-workers as well as the trainees. "I-I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Keep up the good work and thank you." Namjoon hanged up and Kelly glanced at Taehyung who was already looking at her.

"I guess you've heard," he told her while wearing the smile she has become accustomed to - the kind that can leave women weak on the knees.

"To celebrate, why don't we go out for lunch?"

"Pardon?"

Taehyung chuckled. "You heard me."

Kelly wanted to decline but as she's reminded of her trainee's background, she agreed for fear of what Taehyung might do if she disagreed.

"Great! I'll finish this early so we can have lunch soon." The blonde male went back to his task leaving Kelly confused as she slowly processed everything that occurred.

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Lunchtime

 

"What would you like to have? It’ll be my treat."

Kelly stared at the menu in front of her. She didn't expect that Taehyung would bring her to an expensive restaurant for lunch. In fact, she thought he'd only invite her to eat with him at the office cafeteria.

"Kelly? Ah, I mean, Ms. Kelly. What would you like to eat?"

The woman awkwardly laughed at herself. "It's my first time here so I don't know what would be nice to have."

"Do you like pasta? I think you'd like their Chicken Alfredo Pasta."

"I'll get that then."

~~~~~~~

Throughout their hour-long lunch, Kelly felt uncomfortable and she barely spoke too obvious for Taehyung not to notice.

On their way back to the office, the blonde male asked her, "Do I make you uncomfortable?"

"No. Of course not," Kelly quickly responded.

"Why were you so quiet then? At work, you love bickering with Jungkook and laughing along with Jin and Hoseok. But when you're with me, you're always quiet. You like talking to Jimin too."

"I have a quiet side too. Don't worry, you don't make me feel uncomfortable. Not at all."

Taehyung, for the first time, lost the smile he often wore and stared at his mentor before speaking,"I hope next time I ask you the same question, you will finally tell me the truth."

~~~~~~~

Later that night, Kelly found it difficult to sleep as thoughts of her lunch with Taehyung flooded her mind.

'He's not going to report me, is he? No, that's no longer work-related...'

She stayed still under the sheets as she convinced herself that she had nothing to worry about.

'But I lied and he knew. He might think I do the same in my job. What if--'

A buzzing sound distracted Kelly and she turned towards the direction from where it came from. She found her phone's screen lit up and she hurriedly checked it.

'A message?'

 

010-1375-6077

Hey :) Still up?

 

While thinking of a polite response to tell the sender that he might have sent the message to the wrong person, Kelly's phone started ringing, suprising her. Checking the number displayed, she realized it's from the same person earlier.

Kelly ignored the call and the caller continued to ring her for a few more times before finally giving up and sending her another message.

 

010-1375-6077

Guess you're asleep. I'll see you tomorrow then, Ms. Kelly.

 

'Oh my god.'

Kelly quickly keyed in a response. "Is this Kim Taehyung?"

 

010-1375-6077: So you were ignoring me! :(

Kelly: Sorry, didn't know it was you.

Taehyung: Why did you think it was me then? :>

Kelly: I thought it was Jimin but I have his number so it had to be you

Taehyung: He has your number? :( 3

Kelly: How did you get my number?

Taehyung: I have my ways ;) don't give your number to anyone else! :(

Kelly: You should sleep, Sir.

Taehyung: We're outside work so you can call me Taehyung.

Kelly: All right. Goodnight, Mr. Kim TAEHYUNG.

 

Taehyung chuckled seeing his mentor's response. 'So cute,' he thought. With a grin on his face, he sent his final message for the night and laid back on his bed.

Kelly, on the other hand, stared at her phone's screen, rereading the message she just received.

 

Taehyung: Goodnight and sweet dreams, beautiful :)

 

"Ugh!" She cringed and shook her head in distaste as she placed her phone back to her nightstand. "Eew."

Kelly was never a fan of cheesy remarks and has always disliked getting hit on. However, with Taehyung, while she did express a bit of dislike over his remark, she also knew that the warmth on her cheeks held a meaning.

~~~~~~~

The following day, nothing changed and Kelly still felt uncomfortable around Taehyung despite having lunch together and technically spending most of her working hours with him.

"Hey."

Kelly looked away from her computer which was surrounded by sticky notes from an anonymous 'admirer'. "Yes?"

"Ooh. You have an admirer?" Taehyung teasingly asked. "It's not a shock though because you are a wonderful person."

Kelly blushed at the remark. Avoiding eye contact with Taehyung, the woman looked to her left and saw the small pink box with a note from the same 'admirer'.

Following her eyes, Taehyung looked towards the same direction and laughed. "Aigoo, he even gave you that? How cute. That's not from Jimin, is it?"

Ignoring the male, Kelly quickly hid the gift inside her drawer.

"Hey..."

"Please read this and we'll discuss later." Kelly said as she handed Taehyung a new set of reading materials.

Sighing, Taehyung responded, "I was hoping you'd start to warm up to me after I sent you a message and tried to call you. Anyway, we're practically together all the time and I'm going to spend a few more weeks here."

The brunette awkwardly laughed and tried to change the topic. Pointing to her monitor where an Excel file was open, Kelly randomly told Taehyung, "When you encounter this kind of account, you do not need to require--"

"I want us to be friends. Like you and Jungkook, like you and Jin..." Taehyung paused and looked at the woman next to him. "Like you and Jimin."

Not wanting her mentee to get the wrong idea between her and Jimin, Kelly quickly defended herself. "No, no, no. Nothing's going on between us—"

"Kelly!!!" A tall, slender redhaired woman approached the two. "I missed you!" The woman hugged Kelly, who awkwardly hugged back after her conversation with Taehyung was interrupted.

"I-I missed you too, Julie."

Seeing the unfamiliar face beside her friend, the redhead asked, "Oh, a new employee? When did I last visit you that there's a new face here already?"

Taehyung smiled and offered Julie a handshake. "Hi, I'm Kim Taehyung, Ms. Kelly's new mentee."

"Hello! Julie Cho. Nice meeting you." The redhead shifted her gaze to her friend and asked, "What happened to that Jimin guy you were tellinh me? He's your trainer too, right?"

Instead of answering, Kelly simply pointed towards the direction of Jin's workstation.

"He's Jin's trainee now? Poor Chimchim, you know how much he's smitten over y--"

The brown-haired woman covered her friend's mouth and whispered, "Shh, people will start rumors if they hear you!”

Julie laughed and patted Kelly’s head. “Oh, come on, it’s not like it’s a secret that he likes you a lot.”

Taehyung lost his smile as he watched the two and carefully listened to their chitchat. He didn’t understand either but he doesn’t like Jimin and he disliked the fact that the guy was not discreet at all and even let Kelly’s co-workers know that he liked her.

-------------------------------------------------------

Later that night, while Kelly busied herself in scanning through her Facebook feeds, she received a private message from Julie.

 

Julie: Oh my god, you’re friends with him already!

Kelly: Who?

Julie: Taehyung!

Kelly: He added me.

Julie: I’ll add him too. Heehee :”>

Kelly: Whatever. I’ll go to sleep.

Julie: Are you jealous~~? *smug emoticon*

Kelly: Of course not :| Go ahead and add him.

Julie: Okay~ <3

 

Feeling curious if her friend would really send Taehyung a Facebook friend request, Kelly visited the latter’s profile a few minutes after and alas, Julie did add him and Taehyung has already accepted the former’s friend request.

‘Good for her,’ Kelly thought as she placed her phone on her bedside table and went to bed.

-------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------

“It’s eight thirty.”

Hearing Jungkook’s voice, Kelly swiftly locked her phone and keyed in her password on her laptop. “I didn’t notice,” she answered, laughing awkwardly.

“Who were you stalking?” The male asked in a slightly teasing way.

“A-ah, no one. I was just browsing through the feeds, that’s all,” the brunette answered, avoiding the other’s stare.

Jungkook laughed and loudly, “Kelly has a crush~” Those who heard looked towards their direction and Kelly could only roll her eyes at the twenty-something man wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter