15: Market

Heartsigh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15: MARKET

Jungkook had taken Seulgi to the outdoor market, which was only open on weekends in the Namdaemun district.  The street was packed with many different stalls, all filled with different knickknacks and traditional antiques.  Further down in the next street, the sizzling smell of sausages and other street food could be smelt through the air. 

Seulgi wasn’t too sure why Jungkook wanted to come here so she stood by him anxiously, looking around the market.  She was grateful that Jungkook decided to lead them into the non-food section. 

He turned to her, his hand still snugly holding onto hers, “I thought it make be good to find some props for our presentation to use.  There are lots of different traditional items we can find in this market.  What do you think?”

What was this feeling?  She felt strange warmth, which spread through her body as Jungkook asked her what was just simple question.  It wasn’t something she was used to.  Her classmates usually didn’t bother waiting to hear her opinion.  Seulgi had never had a class partner who was so passionate about doing their team assignment and cared about her opinions but she took it as a lucky chance.  How often would this happen? 

“Let’s go then,” Seulgi said excitedly to Jungkook who had been waiting for her to answer him. 

Jungkook nodded and the two of them wandered into the colorful array of decorated stalls.  It seemed that Jungkook came to the market often, because he would stop at a stall and give her some background about the items or introduce her to the stall owners. Seulgi realized how much Jungkook enjoyed antiques and the history behind them. 

“You’re such a history nerd,” She said all of a sudden, as he was pointing out the different meanings of the patterns on the embroidered silk pouches.

Jungkook raised an eyebrow and Seulgi hoped she didn’t offend him, “I don’t mean a bad way.  I’m just surprised.”

Jungkook smiled amusedly and then asked, “What kind of person do you see me to be then?”

Seulgi thought for a moment, remembering how kind Jungkook had been but also how difficult it had to understand why he was so nice to her.  “Kind. Smart.  But hard to understand.”

He seemed to take her comments keenly and after studying her for a short while, he chuckled.

“I think you’re hard to understand too,” He said.  “Guess we are on the same page then.”

As they stepped into a stall which sold fans, the lady in a mid-forties and unruly curly hair came up to them.

“Jungkook!  I haven’t seen you come here for ages,” She said, immediately taking Jungkook’s hands into hers and patting them. 

“Good to see you too Ahjuma!” Jungkook greeted back.

“How have you been? Coping ok?” She asked, her eyes full of meaning and concern.

“I’ve been alright.  I’m still getting used to it,” He said vaguely but the lady didn’t seem to mind.

“Come by and talk to me if you ever feel lonely.  You’re always welcome to come and have dinner with us as well,” She said.  “Don’t ever feel like you’re intruding, ok?”

Seulgi didn’t understand the full extent of the question but didn’t ask and politely stood by as Jungkook talked to the lady. 

“And are you going to introduce me to your friend?” She asked, a playful smile on her face.

“Ah sorry.  Ahjuma this is my friend Seulgi.  She’s my classmate at school.  Seulgi, this is Kim Ahjuma, she’s known me since I was a child.”

Seulgi bowed politely to Kim Ahjuma but she also came up to her and held onto her hands.  “Take care of Jungkook.  He’s going through a tough time.”

“Ajuma, you don’t need to overdo it,” Jungkook said, a whining tone, which Seulgi was astounded to hear. 

“I was going to ask if she was your girlfriend but since it looks like you don’t want me to interfere, I won’t ask,” She cheekily remarked.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter