Rovix Magazine

Love Me Harder

"I'm finally graduating! After so many years of hardwork, it all paid off quite unexpectedly!" Hongbin thought to himself as he watch his classmates and schoolmates get their diplomas one by one.

 

 

Lee Hongbin is a Photography major in SeoulArts. Because one of his works are selected to participate in a very special collection in a gallery in Seoul, he was one of the candidates for students running for the laude positions (* laude positions include Summa Laude, Magna Laude and Laude. They are Latin Honors given at Universities in some countries. IDK what they use in Korea so... yeah.). It was a very tough competition for Hongbin, but in the end... he was victorious.

 

 

"And for our Summa Laude, with highest honors, for Bachelor of Arts in Professional Photography... Please welcome, Mr. Lee Hongbin!" the presenter called for him, and Hongbin immediately stood up and walke towards the podium.

 

 

He has been preparing for his speech since the announcement for honors are announced. He must admit, this is a pretty nerve wrecking moment. But he needs to do it, so he will.

 

 

"Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen! My name is Lee Hongbin. I would like to thank Seoul Institute of Arts for the honorable title they gave to me for all the hardwork I've done in the past few years. In fact, I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Because in more ways than one, you've contributed something in all the years I've spent in this school. My friends, my classmates, even some schoolmates, and of course the professors who doesn't get tired of teaching us something new in th every day we spend in SeoulArts. But most of all, I would like to thank my parents. With all of their undying support, I have graduated with honors that they would be proud of for, I don't know, the rest of my and their lives. Mom, Dad, this is for you!" Hongbin waved at his parents with the hand he's using to hold the diploma that was handed to him before he started his speech.

 

"So! It's been a very long journey, hasn't it? I'm afraid it's the end of this one. But it's definitely not the last! Tomorrow, or maybe even today, is the start of a new journey that will take us to the adult life. We will encounter obstacles, we will work hard and use the things we learned during our stay here, and most of all, love the life we live in. We should live life to the fullest! We will work hard but not too hard that we will forget to take care of ourselves. We will enjoy life but not too much that we forget our responsibilities in life! You know what they say, CARPE DIEM! SEIZE THE DAY! Congratulations my fellow graduates and I hope that you will find happiness in the jobs that awaits you! Have a great day!" With that, Hongbin bowed and left the stage to go back to his seat.

 

 

 

 

After the ceremony, Hongbin was outside the gymnasium when a man approached him and his parents.

 

 

"Good day, Madame, Sirs. I'm Kim JiRo from SuperHero Publications." the man introduced himself while given them business cards.

 

 

"Son, isn't that the company that you want to work at?" Hongbin's father asked him, which Hongbin answered with a nod without taking his eyes off the business card the man gave them.

 

 

"I am here to formally invite Mr. Lee Hongbin to work for our new born magazine, Rovix Magazine. We have been keeping track of Mr. Lee's progress after the Batman Collection showcase. It is our creative consultant and one of our writers that saw your work. We also received your resume, that you passed a few weeks back. The president and the Human Resource director of SuperHero Publications were deeply impressed by your portfolio and asked me to recruit you right away." the man explained.

 

 

"But... Don't I get to be interviewed first?" Hongbin asked the Kim JiRo.

 

 

"Usually, we do interview applicants. But your case is special. Not only the HR Director but also the Presidents wants you in our company. The team that you will be working with, if you accept, is very enthusiastic and excited when we told them that I will try my very best to get you to be Rovix Magazine's resident photgrapher." Kim JiRo answered.

 

 

Hongbin was very shocked that everything is falling to pieces right away. He got in his dream company to work for a new brand of magazine the Publication is releasing and he gets to work with people that are very excited to meet him.

 

 

"Okay. When do I start?" Hongbin made his decision and asked Kim JiRo the most obvious question.

 

 

"If you could start tomorrow, then it'd be great." Kim JiRo said.

 

 

"Sure, why not?" Hongbin smiled at Kim JiRo and shook his hand.

 

 

"I'll tell your team right away. Here's the full contact details of Rovix Magazine. You'll find the address there. I'll see you at the office tomorrow. Good day again and thank you, Mr. Lee." Kim JiRo smiled.

 

 

"Please, call me Hongbin. After all, you're my sunbae, or my boss." Hongbin and Kim JiRo chuckled.

 

 

"Okay. Goodbye, Hongbin. Mr and Mrs. Lee, thank you for your time." Kim JiRO bowed to show respect to Hongbin's parents and left the family to talk and celebrate.

 

 

 

Hongbin's mom hugged him tight.

 

 

"I get that you're very excited to work for SHP. But, tomorrow? Already?" his mom asked him.

 

 

"Don't worry about me, Mom, Dad. I can manage. And I really don't want to waste time. Remember what I said earlier? Carpe Diem! Seize the day! Opportunity came knocking, I grab it. And not everyone gets to be admired by the president of his dream company." Hingbin said, still smiling widely to his parents.

 

 

"Oh, alright. Just don't overwork yourself. Always take care of your health!" Hongbin's mom reminded him.

 

 

"Yes mom~" he answered.

 

 

 

The whole family went out to lunch to celebrate Hongbin's college graduation. They went to a high class restaurant and ordered a wide variety of food. But sadly, his parents need to leave right away because they have a scheduled company trip abroad. So, Hongbin was once again left to fend for himself.

 

 

Hongbin knows that his parents love him. VERY MUCH. But sometimes, he gets lonely because of the lack of attention that he gets from them. It has been going on since his childhood. Plus, he doesn't have that many friends. So, Hongbin decided to put his focus to photography and studying. Thus, earning him the title Summa Laude in SeoulArts of Professional Photography.

 

 

 

The next day...

 

 

Hongbin went to the address that was printed in the Rovix Magazine business card that Kim JiRo gave him yesterday. He sighed deeply and went inside. He imagined everything as an organized place with cubicles and offices.

 

But boy, was he wrong!

 

The place was quite disorganized. There are cubicles and offices but it no one was around. Instead everyone was in a room that Hongbin assumes is the meeting room.

 

There are only 5 people around, excluding him. There's a dark-skinned guy who keeps on nagging a attractive, but sharp and quiet looking guy, and a guy who talks with an ajhumma voice with a guy with deep voice and a guy who looks slightly younger than Hongbin. Everyone stopped when they noticed Hongbin standing in the meeting room doorway.

 

 

"You must be Hongbin!" the dark-skinned guy stood up and walked towards Hongbin, extending his hand which Hongbin shook immediately. "I'm Cha Hakyeon, Rovix Magazine's Editor-in-Chief. I prefer to be called N, but as for you, it's N hyung." he chuckled, Hongbin smiled. "Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone." N said.

 

 

"This is Han Sanghyuk, but you can call him Hyuk. You're older than him. He's the trend master of this magazine. Hyuk collects information about the latest trends and make articles about it." N introduced him to the young guy earlier.

 

 

"This is Kim Wonshik, but he goes around the name Ravi. Why, we don't know. Just call him that. He used to be just a writer but we found out that he's a very creative person so he now works with the Creative Consultant of RovixMag." N introduced him to the guy with deep voice.

 

 

"This is our Creative Consultant, Lee Jaehwan, but he goes by Ken. He and Ravi are the ones who saw your Batman Photo in the gallery." N introduced him to the guy who talks like an ahjumma, who smiled at him. Of course Hongbin smiled back.

 

 

"And finally! RovixMag's best creative writer! Jung Taekwoon!!!!" N introduced Hongbin to the attractive but sharp and quiet looking guy.

 

 

"Call me Leo..." Hongbin heard Taekwoon say, but it was quite soft that it was hard to hear.

 

 

Hongbin smiled and said, "Call me Hongbin." 

 

 

 

For a while, they just both stared at each other as if no one else was around....