Six

Speak To Me

Hakyeon bounces down the hallway of a fairly new apartment building, before stopping and keying in a code to his sisters apartment. He has a plan in mind, one that involves cooking for his sister before asking her to help him overcome his fears and give him advice.

“I’m here!” He calls out, dumping his stuff on the couch and walking further inside looking for his sister. He hears a soft reply from the ensuite and casually flops down on to her bed, flicking through a book that she has left on her bedside table.

It isn’t long before his older sister makes her way into the room, towel wrapped around her hair, dressed in jeans and an oversized jumper.

“Just finish work?” Hakyeon asks, not even looking up from the blurb on the back cover.

She hums a response, unravelling her hair and drying it with a towel. “And I have a tutoring session this afternoon.” She looks to the digital clock residing next to Hakyeon, “In about fifteen minutes.”

Hakyeon nods, he can wait to get advice, he would much rather hear his sister teaching some poor unsuspecting kid in her mean bossy voice. Especially since it will take his mind off of a certain other voice he has wanted to hear for the past few weeks.

“He’s a guy from your school if I heard his grandmother correctly. Someone Jung…” His sister continues, pulling her hair up into a messy bun.

Hakyeon freezes, but tells himself to relax. It’s not like there aren’t other Jung’s in his school, the chance that it would be Taekwoon are about… One in fifty, possibly more although probably less. Hakyeon doesn’t know the actual number of Jung’s in his school, but even if he did, he would have to find out how many are boys… Maths has never been Hakyeon’s favourite.

“So Hakyeonie, why are you here instead of home?” As she asks this she moves to her book shelf looking for the correct level of work book.

Sighing, Hakyeon lies back onto the bed. “I have issues.”

Laughing his sister turns back, “I know that, but why are you here?”

“I need help,” he says with another sigh. “There is this guy at my school that… I don’t know why… but he has caught my attention more than normal…”

Squealing his sister jumps onto her bed, “Do you have a crush on him?”

“Gayeonie…” Hakyeon frowns at his sister, “I just want to be friends with him… But he isn’t very sociable… With anyone.”

“Maybe you are coming on to strong?” She says, pouting slightly. It has been nearly a year since her brother has dated someone, let alone had a crush on anyone. Although she isn’t really that surprised, with his role as class president he barely has time and the fact that his last partner was practically an eight, seven at their worst. It’s hard to top such a high figure.

Hakyeon shrugs, “I don’t know. I’m not doing anything different to how I befriend other people…”

Gayeon sighs now, “Talking non-stop and pestering them at lunch time with your bad jokes?”

“They’re not that bad.” Hakyeon mutters with a pout.

Lying down next to her younger brother, Gayeon wraps an arm around him, playing with his hair. “I will help you with this stuff after class…” she smiles cheekily, “If you make me some chicken rice porridge okay?”

“Not what I was going to cook… but I shall.” Hakyeon smiles at his sister.

The two of them have always been rather close, which several of Gayeon and Hakyeon’s friends have said is strange. But Hakyeon believes that it is simply wonderful. Gayeon has always supported Hakyeon in his endeavours and was even there to help Hakyeon come to terms with his uality. Hakyeon helped Gayeon too, when he could, cooking for her when she was either too lazy or too busy and critiquing her boyfriend’s when she was too in love to see their flaws. Several times he saved her from controlling relationships, gently telling her that they weren’t right for her or treated her like a slave. It was good that they trusted each other.

“Okay, get started.” Gayeon says, pushing Hakyeon off her bed and laughing when he falls to the floor. “My student will be here soon.”

Huffing and mumbling complaints to himself as he walked toward his sisters kitchen, Hakyeon attempted to remember how the recipe went for chicken porridge. He knew that he had to cook the rice and season it with salt, but the rest of the recipe wanted to evade him at this stage.

As he was finding ingredients and utensils the doorbell rang. Gayeon yelled that he should answer it, and tell them she was just looking for the correct book. So, putting the rice cooker down next to the sink Hakyeon moved back to the door, a rather annoyed look on his face. He was rather hungry…

He unlocked the door and pulled it open, pretty much hiding behind it to let the student in. He just stares at the back of the door, attempting to rub away some dirt he has found there.

“My sister won’t be too long, she’s just looking for the work book in her selves, make yourself comfortable where you can.”

He doesn’t get a reply and so looks up from the door, and jumps.

“I didn’t know you played Taekwoonie!”

In reply he receives yet another glare.