Four

Speak To Me

Hakyeon had watched the new boy move to the room like the teacher instructed, admiring his pale skin as he went. The boy was looking down at his feet as he walked, his black hair hiding the majority of his facial features.

“Introduce yourself.”

The boy nodded, lifting his head Hakyeon took in his cat like eyes and bored expression. Then he spoke in the softest voice, so soft that Hakyeon was unsure that he had even used it. He saw the girls at the front giggle and blush watching the boy as he once again moved his lips after being instructed to speak louder. This time Hakyeon caught the beginning of his introduction.

“I’m Jung Taekwoon…” He bowed and his voice disappeared. The teacher, tried to stop him from moving back to his seat, to try and get him to speak louder, but Taekwoon obviously believed that he was loud enough. Hakyeon had smiled at the boy as he sat down next to him, liking how his voice was the complete opposite of his expression, but Taekwoon either didn’t notice Hakyeon or completely ignored him.

Either way Hakyeon decided that he wanted the beautiful man to talk more. That voice was just so sweet; it didn’t match the angry looking exterior.

During homeroom, the new student was pulled out then when he came back he simply read for the majority of the class. Hakyeon had watched him in between organising his list of activities for the day. During the last five minutes he found an opportunity to speak when Taekwoon was highlighting their class timetable.

“Why is Korean literature the only one in green?” he had asked.

Taekwoon just stared at him. Hakyeon felt like he was being given the once over, even though Taekwoon’s eyes never once left his face. For some strange reason Hakyeon felt that the angry expression that had settled into place on Taekwoon’s face wasn’t exactly angry… It was something else.

“Why is it green?” he asked again, not expecting an answer, but hoping that he would be graced with one. He smiled. Taekwoon blinked once, then twice before turning away.

“That’s okay, you can tell me later.” He said before turning back to his plan.

Throughout the rest of the day, Hakyeon attempted many more conversations with the new boy. He mentioned that the book they were studying in English was a collection of poems written by a famous English poet. He was greeted with an eye roll, but it didn’t discourage his smile. After Mathematics he stated that they had only just started the topic so Taekwoon was in luck, he wasn’t missing out on anything, Taekwoon didn’t even look at him. Half way through Korean lit Hakyeon asked if Taekwoon wanted to share his book, since he didn’t have one, he didn’t even wait for a reply, simply shuffled over and placed the book on Taekwoon’s desk.

At lunch, after receiving his meal, Hakyeon sat next to Taekwoon and explain to him how the schools grading system worked, how the sports day was coming up and that they would have to participate even though they were seniors. He talked and smiled up until Taekwoon finished his meal, at which point he had left.

Honestly, Hakyeon had no idea why he was attempting so hard to hear this boy’s voice. But he felt that it was going to be worth it when he heard it.

After lunch he decided to leave Taekwoon alone for a while, and didn’t say anything except goodbye to him when school finished, vowing to attempt to make friends with the boy tomorrow.

And he did attempt to make friends. For the entire week he would offer Taekwoon help with his work, he would sit and talk to him during lunch – until Taekwoon moved away after finishing his meal. He would greet him every morning, and say goodbye in the afternoon. During homeroom he would attempt to ask Taekwoon about his books, or the reason why he would highlight things a certain way.

He was never answered with words, rather a different version of the same expression. 

Hakyeon noticed that Taekwoon would always look bored, or angry. He never seemed to smile. He never even laughed. It disappointed Hakyeon, he so desperately wanted to hear the other speak, desperately wanted the boy to laugh. He thought that since his voice was soft, his laugh too would be as sweet.

But sadly, even after a week of trying, he was not granted either a laugh or a word of speech.