Chapter Twelve

1448 Hours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N

https://ask.fm/seungwandukong

---

Life and Death loved each other.

But they were never meant to be.

Seulgi recalled a handful of lines from a story she was told when she was very young and her mother wanted her to know a thing or two about life and its many pains that no one could run away from.

---

Take your time
Love is something you can't rewind
When it's done
When it's done

“Seulgi…” she heard her friend gently call her. Seulgi lifted up her head from her phone only to see Joy examining her most recent painting very carefully, eyes squinting and eyebrows furrowed.

Seulgi stood up and stood beside Joy, not seeing why her best friend was so interested in the painting. It wasn’t anything special, it was nothing more than some organized chaos.

Two messy silhouettes painted at either sides of the canvas, their skinny and frail-looking arms reaching out to each other. If someone were to look at the painting, the silhouettes would’ve looked more like two weak eruptions of black paint and pencil scratching. The background made it even messier. It was only what seemed to be a bright sky fading into a night sky; clouds fading into stars and birds fading into shooting stars. It had to be one of Seulgi’s messiest paintings.

In her eyes, there was nothing special to it.

“Seulgi… their eyes,”

Eyes…?

Oh… they had eyes.

Seulgi forgot she painted on some eyes.

They were messy, suiting the rest of the painting, and they were painted on only using hues of white and grey.

“Why do they look… lost?”

Lost.

“Seulgi, they look like their being torn apart,”

Torn apart.

“Are those… tears?”

Tears.

“Seulgi?”

“Seulgi,  are you okay?”

“Seulgi!”

Seulgi’s eyes widened upon hearing Joy’s voice increase in volume. She turned her head from her painting, not realizing how closely she ended up looking at it until Joy called her.

“Yeah?” She said, her voice coming out softer than she would’ve liked.

“I think,” Joy rummaged through her cluttered backpack, took out a book and handed it to Seulgi, “I think you need to read this,”

“Joy, this is a picture book,” Seulgi looked at Joy with an incredulous look, “Why are you giving this to me?”

“I had to analyze it for an assignment, and frankly,” Joy walked to the art room’s door, “every brush on that painting of yours is like a word from that book,” She turned to look at her friend, Seulgi catching her worried gaze.

“I’ll see you later Seulgi,” And she was gone.

Seulgi looked at the title of the book and her eyes widened, “Life and Death.”

Memories knocked at her mind and nostalgia started to tie up her heart.

Seulgi recalled her mother’s voice as she told this story to her, her young self not hearing the sadness in her mother’s voice back then.

Seulgi took one last look at her painting before turning to the first page of the book.

---

 

Before time could chase anyone, Life harboured a love for Death nothing else could match.

And before light could reach all openings and fissures of the universe, Death held Life so dearly in his heart.

Life could love Death long after the pens they wrote with dried out, and Death could love Life far stronger than the gravity that pulled people apart.

Life held Death’s hands and felt what being in a safe haven felt like, and it ran through her veins, coursed through her like a mantra.

Death looked into Life’s eyes and saw past what everyone else saw, past her masks and walls, and saw who she really was, and he felt beauty engulf him.

And they were in love.

Death never shed another tear in her embrace and Life’s heart thrived more than ever when Death held her without chains. Life radiated in Death’s eyes, her very smile taking him to the clouds and anchoring him down at the same time. Her very existence, her very soul, put light in his heart. Death was Life’s serenity. When Life looked at Death, her heart was at ease, his entirety was her comfort, making her feel safe. When she looked at him, she saw infinite shades of beauty swirl in his eyes and she never failed to drown in them every time.

They accepted each other wholeheartedly and understood one another’s hearts better than anyone else could. Nothing could match the strength of their love.

Life and Death held each other very dearly and their love was known across galaxies.

Though Life and Death harbored no care for others, others were well aware of how the Life and Death carried each other’s hearts.

Thousands of stars shone every night, but Life could not care because Death’s eyes held millions more.

Shooting stars passed by every night, but Death could not care because Life, his only wish, was right in his arms.

The universe did not matter because they were stuck in their

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter