✿ Past ✿

✿ Because You're You ✿

"Don't smile at me like that." Jinhye told him again. "Why not?" He chuckled. "It's wierd.. It makes me feel wierd and- just don't do it.." She repeated. Being the stubborn person he is, Mark didn't listen. He smiled once more before leaning in closer to her and watched her reaction. She closed her eyes and it seemed like he was waiting for him to plant his lips on to hers. His lips curled in to a smile, then a smirk.

"You fell for me."

Hearing those sudden words, Jinhye's eyes were now wide open. "W-what? No! I just.." She stuttered. She was now speechless and didn't know what to say. "Anyways- I said that i'll never fall for you! A-and I tend to keep my words, you know." Jinhye huffed before pushing him away and walked over to his bed.
"I-i'm sleeping here. Go sleep on the couch in the living room or s-something!" She told him. Her face was red from embarassment.

"Wow, you're kicking me out of my own room. Harsh." Mark walked over to the door, then turned back to look at her.
"Sleep well, Choi Jinhye." He smirked before leaving and closing the door behind him.

Jinhye stared blankly at the door for a few seconds, then at where she was sitting earlier. Where the 'embarassing incident' happened.
"You closed your eyes? What were you thinking!" She scolded herself, giving her head a hit. Annoyed, she threw the small pillow that was besides her, at the door and threw a little tantrum. When she finally calmed down, she roughly layed down and stared at the ceiling. She placed one of her hands on to her chest and she could feel her heart still racing.

"What's wrong with me.." She said to herself.



It was the next day and Jinhye barely got any sleep that night. All she thought of that was keeping her awake was the incident and how embarassing it was. How could she face him after that? Jinhye slightly flinched when she heard small knocks at the door and watched as it opened.

"You look tired." Mark laughed. Of course he already knew why. "Go away." Jinhye barely managed to tell him.
Her voice was all croaky because of how tired she was. Mark placed the tray of food on to the nightstand that was by the bed and sat next to her. "Eat up. I made pancakes."

Hearing the word pancakes made her stomach rumble. "You know how to cook?" She scoffed. She struggled to even get herself up.
"Why is that surprising? I'm good at everything." He had a cocky smile on his face that made her face go from angry to disgusted. "Give me that." Jinhye ordered. Mark cleared his throat and looked at her as she began to eat. It seemed like he wanted to say something to her. "Hey, can I ask you something?" He began. 

Jinhye nodded signaling him to go on. "Why were those men chasing after you?" He asked her. Jinhye suddenly stopped eating and placed the butterknife and fork down. "I don't know who the men are, but guessing from the pin logos that they had on their suits, they work for my dad. It's my family's logo.." Mark chuckled a little, "Okay.. you still didn't answer my question though." Jinhye rolled her eyes, "Why should I tell you? We're not even close like that. I barely met you two days ago, I still see you as a stranger." Mark frowned, "Really? Because I see you a lot more than a stranger- friends even." he said, then gave her 'that' smile. "Okay, no more than friends but you get me." He joked.

Him saying that made her heart drop a little for some reason, but she shrugged it off. Jinhye sighed, "Fine i'll tell you." She started, "I ran away from home because of my dad. I couldn't take it anymore. How abusive and violent he was to me, and only me. Everyday after I came back from school, he'd slap me for something that one of my sibling did. He let's his anger out on me, I was basically like a doll that he could toss around and beat up. And I don't get bruises anymore because my skin, or I, eventually became immuned to it. He probably sent them out to find me just so he can apologize and begin hitting me only a few days after he does. I'm not going back, I'm never going back." She finished. 

Mark stared at her face that was now full of anger and sadness. He gently held her face up so he could get a better look at her face and so that now she was looking back at him. "Well, I'm here now. I won't hit you or let you get hurt. And I did say that I was going to protect you from those men from now on, right?" He said, giving her a comforting smile. "Don't worry. I'll keep you safe."

Jinhye stared at his worried eyes. It was the same look he gave her when he first told her that he'd protect her. But his words made her confused. 

He said he only thought of me no beyond the point of friendship.. but why is he being so nice to me? It's like he's doing this on purpose so I'll acually fall for him.......... No. I won't fall for it.

Jinhye moved his hand away from her face. She lifted the tray off of her lap and placed it back on the nightstand. "I'm going to get ready for school." She said, getting off of the bed. Mark quickly grabbed her hand. "You can't. They'll find you there." She scoffed, "So, what? I can't go home, and now I can't even go to school? What the hell am I supposed to do now if I can't even go to school. All I have with me is this stupid school uniform." She argued.

Mark thought to himself for a few seconds, then smirked. "Get dressed, I'm taking you somewhere."