Chapter 87

My Love from another Planet

'Xiumin, what is the mate's link?'

Lily's question made Xiumin freeze in his tracks; then he slowly straightened, putting the knives he'd been donning down and turned around. 'I'm sorry, what?'

'The mate's link.' Lily asked composedly but her hands twisted in the sheet she was holding, giving her away. 'What is it?'

'It's a link between mates.' He hoped she wouldn't ask more because he really did not want to think about it, especially not with his decision to break up with her looming over him like Damcoles' sword. She rolled her eyes. 'Suho told us that much, genius. What does it mean?'

'Why are you asking about it all of a sudden?' He asked, instead of replying. Her face said she didn't appreciate his efforts are redirecting the conversation but went along with it anyway.

'The girls were talking about it…' she stared down at her fingers, 'and I felt a little out of step – they acted like they expected me to know what they meant, so I didn't ask but I was curious.'

'Oh.' Well, he couldn’t really expect that his and Lily's lack of the sacred link would remain a secret, especially when they'd come out and everyone was comfortably talking it out with each other. He still didn't like it. 'Well, there is no other way to explain it but just that – it’s a link between mates.'

She was quiet for a second. 'Is it same for everyone?'

'It's unique to every couple. Some can even converse through it,' He turned his back so she wouldn't read the lie in his eyes, 'but for others, it’s just a general sense of being one with the person you love.'

He wished that was the case, how he wished it were so but he knew he was only delaying the inevitable.

'I see.' That was all she said. He knew she was bothered, he didn't need some damn link to know that but she'd sensed, like him, that he didn’t want to talk about it.

Ever since he'd decided he needed to let her go, instead of furthering himself from her, he'd only gotten himself more and more involved, gluttoned himself on everything that was her – her hair, her eyes, her smile, her scent, the way she felt in his arms, the taste of her lips, the sound of her voice, everything and anything – like a desperate man.

She'd noticed, of course, had commented on it even but she didn't push him away and he was taking all he could get. The closer the time to leave her came – he'd decided to wait until Suho's wedding because he wouldn't be good company after she left – the the harder he held on.

Now this. He didn't need some goddamned bond that refused to appear to know she was his everything.

Abruptly, he turned around and went over to her, pulling her into his arms and kissing her soundly. She gasped at his fierceness, fingers scrabbling for purchase but he didn't let up, pushing her against the wall and thoroughly ravaging , taking her breath, her taste, imprinting it in his senses.

'Xiumin…' she finally managed to turn her face away, his lips trailing over her cheek and down on her neck. She pushed at his head but he shook her hands off, doggedly continuing his ministrations. He was being rougher than he usually was but he couldn't stop. She gasped again when he bit her on the neck, ling and ling, knowing it would bruise. She was his, dammit all, his!

She grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her when he let go of her neck to adjust her securely around his hips. 'What's wrong?' She asked, not relenting despite the distracting way his fingers were tracing over her.

'You're mine…' he growled and she started. She'd never heard him growl like that before; nor, for that matter, had she ever seen his eyes red like that, like glowing embers. 'Mine.' He repeated, before pouncing on her.

Their teeth clashed together and she tasted blood but it only seemed to drive him further; he bit her again, making her cry out and then, all she could do was hold on as he took her to heights higher than ever before. It was rough, savage and she felt utterly branded, thoroughly claimed.

Her legs wouldn't hold her up when he let go; she slumped against him, still catching her breath and felt his fingers trace over her neck. It stung a little and she had a feeling he'd broken skin when he'd bitten her but he had such a satisfied, possessive look in his eyes when she jerked at the sting, she was sure he'd done it intentionally. He kissed her temple gently, in stark contrast to the way he'd taken her mere moments ago. 'I love you.'

She smiled against his shoulder and pressed a kiss to his neck. 'You could've just said it, you know.'

He looked a little confused at that. 'Hmm?'

She nodded at her legs which were still not cooperating with her. 'I mean, without all that. Not that I didn't like it. In fact, I'm not sure if I should thank you or tell you to get the hell away… yikes!'

He swung her up in his arms, carrying her over to the bed, dropping her in it and climbing atop.

'Aren't you supposed to get ready to leave?' She muttered, arching her neck so he could lave the bite a bit more; it was still stinging. She felt him smile against her. 'Not for another thirty minutes.'

'I think you'd better get ready then.' Xiumin had the bad tendency to drag things out. 'We can continue this later.'

'Mmmm…' he drifted lower, ignoring her. She sighed, then settled herself more comfortably against the sheets. It wasn't like she didn't enjoy it and well, if he was willing…

……………………………  

'You have to be very, very careful and come back safely.' Mei told Luhan, looping her arms securely around his neck and rising on tiptoes to kiss his cheeks. 'Promise?'

'Okay.' Luhan was obviously having fun, having her dote on him but it was getting late and Suho was getting impatient.

'Come on, already!' He called again, taking the time the couple was together to peck Angel on the lips himself. 'We won't get anything done at this rate.'

'Be safe!' Mei called after him as he finally ran to join the group of Legends outside the boundaries of their headquarters. She all but followed him but a hand on her shoulder stopped her. Chanyeol shook his head apologetically. 'That's as far as you can go.'

She nodded, sighing as she watched the group leave.

'They'll be fine.' Chanyeol reassured her, patting her shoulder sympathetically. 'They'll be back before you even know it.'

'Thanks.' She smiled up at him but still turned to look worriedly at the leaving group.

 She'd recalled her nightmares eventually and thanks to Luhan for holding her when it got too much. Even though she wasn't very clear about the details still, it was enough to let her know this Evil was no joke.

The guy (and she was assuming that because it was easier to picture him that way) had almost led her to her own death, manipulating her dreams like that. What if he managed to do that to the Legends? If anything happened to Luhan…

 She swallowed the bitterness in . No, he would be okay; he'd kicked of those creatures that had shown up – his primal form had become a family favorite, narrated every time they sat together and getting more embellished with each retelling but she'd gotten the gist – so, naturally, he wasn't in any danger. Besides, Suho had taken all the others with him, so it wasn't like he would be on his own.

'We don't know what will happen…' Suho had told them, giving the general protocol in case anything happened to the Legends. 'Evil might take it as an attempt to invade the Abyss for all we know. At best, only a couple of abbies might sneak out. At worst…'

With that ominous warning ringing in her head, it was hard not to worry but Chanyeol was right. They'd be fine.

'So what're we going to do?' She asked no one in particular.

'Movie?' Raina suggested half-heartedly.

'Nah…' Tiffany shook her head, bouncing nervously on the balls of her feet. 'I don't think I'd be able to concentrate that long.'

'Lets…' They all turned at Angel's soft voice, making her blush and stutter, 'l-lets just sit in the garden. I can bring us some snacks…' Her eyes flickered toward the gate, eyeing the group that was far away and yet close enough that they could make out everyone.

Mei understood – she didn't feel like going back inside either, safe and sound while her mate was out there, possibly risking his life.

Lay and Chanyeol, who'd been left behind to guard the HQs – and stay in the relative safety because they weren't able to use their powers, though no one said it – looked at each other, communicating silently before nodding. 'Okay.' Chanyeol told them, 'Just make sure you stay within the boundaries.'

'Of course.'

Before long, they were all gathered in the driveway because it afforded the best view, helping them keep an eye on the group. Chanyeol and Lay carried some chairs outside, then dragged a couple of tables and they were all set to go.

The girls gathered around in a group, trying to make small talk and nibbling on snacks. The tension was still there but it was now buried underneath the meaningless chatter as they all tried to ignore the obvious.

It was going to be a long, long wait.

………………………………………

Suho glanced back at the mansion, spying the group that was sitting in the driveway and suppressed a sigh. They were safe within the boundaries of the HQs, so no point worrying over it – Evil couldn't get in and even if he managed to breach the first wall of defense, that would be as far as he could get.

He still didn’t like it, having them out in the open when they could be within the four walls. He wasn't the only one either because Luhan glanced over his shoulder and frowned as well. 'I thought they were going back in.'

'I told them to but…' It was easy to sense the worry flowing through his link with Angel – she was as worried about him as he was about her. 'They'll be fine.' He glanced around at the group. 'Get in positions, then.'

It was huge risk, to open the portal like this straight into the Abyss but they were running out of time with Chen – Lay had managed to resusticate him this time but he wasn't very confident he'd be able to do anything if it happened again; besides, the signs of his deteroriation were becoming more and more obvious, from the way his hair had lost its shine and his cheekbones appeared sharper than before, eyes sunken deep into his sockets. Chen was at the end of his line and if they didn't do anything now, it'd be too late.

Frankly, Suho was trying not to think about all the things that could go wrong with this scenario. He hadn't wanted to worry the girls, so he'd made light of it – a couple of abbies, indeed. Evil had been lying too low and too quiet and Suho was one hundred percent sure he was planning something big and would definitely take this opportunity to strike. After all, they'd hurt him and Evil held grudges; plus, they were practically doing his work for him, separating the mates from the Legends – Evil would be an idiot if he didn't take advantage of this situation.

Hence the reason he'd chosen the location so close to the HQs – so they'd be nearby if and when Evil showed up. Plus, he'd fired off a message to Kris, just in case. Chanyeol, originally one of their best fighters, was unable to come out in the field because he couldn't use his powers – so, a little help would be appreciated; plus, it didn't hurt to have someone waiting in the wings, who could sneak up on Evil.

It was all hypothetical of course but it was better to err on the side of caution.

'We're ready.' The sound dragged him out of his worried thoughts.

Suho glanced at Tao and Kai who'd positioned side by side and D.O, who was waiting impatiently beside them. The rest were spread out, keeping their eyes peeled for any signs of trouble, ready to act on a moment's notice. Suho nodded, lifting his hand and waiting until the whip appeared; it twirled around his hand, buzzing with the quick movement of water molecules.

'Alright then, this is it. D.O, try to do it quickly, we still have to get Kyra.' D.O nodded.

Among all of them, Kyra was perhaps the most in danger – not only because she was the only one who was outside, unprotected but also because she was unclaimed.

While Evil could hurt him, Luhan, Sehun and Xiumin if he killed any of their mates, it would just be a personal vendetta, it wouldn’t help him in anyway. If Kyra died… a Legend only ever had one mate, one chance to bring the root of the Tree of Life on earth. If any of the unclaimed died, the root would never embed on earth, leaving the Tree incomplete and Evil free to rampage.

If all twelve roots took hold, uniting into the 'one perfect root', the Red Forces would purify and Evil would cease to exist. They didn't know if Evil knew about the claimed and unclaimed mates but they could bet on it that he didn't care either way – he would likely kill them all if given the chance.

The only reason he'd let Kyra go was the fact that Evil couldn't monitor their movements inside the HQs and Kyra had left quietly from the inside. Evil had no way of knowing where she was and since she would return the same way, Evil wouldn't be any wiser.

Still, it couldn't hurt to hurry. He nodded, giving the signal.

Tao and Kai started focusing on their powers, slowly building the energy between them. Too much and Kai would teleport or Tao would mess up the time, so they needed to be careful.

Minutes later, a small crack appeared. It seemed like a strange distortion of vision and for any one looking, it'd just seem like an illusion. It was like someone had plucked air and was pulling it in different directions, slowly but surely opening a gaping hole in the fabric of reality.

'Steady…' Suho intoned, brow furrowed in concentration. The portal should only be big enough for D.O to sneak in – the smaller it was, the easier it'd be to close it and it wouldn't, hopefully, draw Evil's attention.

It was painfully slow going but they managed to expand the portal enough that D.O could climb inside. He put one foot on the edge, glanced back, nodded and was about to heave himself in when Baekhyun called out. 'Wait, wait, wait!!!'  

D.O raised his eyebrows, silently asking him what the deal was. Baekhyun shook his head, rapidly stepping closer and gesturing for him to show his hand. D.O stretched it out slowly and Baekhyun grabbed it. There was a brilliant sparkle – like a small firework explosion and when Baekhyun withdrew his fingers, a string of golden light – fine as a spider's web – connected them.

'Something to show you the way back.' Baekhyun told him, smiling a little. 'Plus, it won't hurt to have a little light with you, eh? To let Chen see you or something…' his voice wavered a little but he cleared his throat and waved him away. 'Shoo now. Go on!'

D.O stared at his fingers, suddenly overcome. He had to bring Chen back. Swallowing, he raised his head and met Baekhyun's eyes. 'I'll bring him back.' He promised before abruptly turning away and heaving himself inside.

The rest held their breath in silence, straining their ears to hear any sounds; a minute later, D.O's voice floated out.

'Okay, I'm in.'

'Remember D.O, not too far!' Suho called in after him, putting his face near the portal. It was ice cold and strange sounds – tortured screams, manic laughter – met his ears. A moment later, they heard D.O's growl and the pained scream of a dying creature.

'What was that?' Baekhyun called out worriedly.

'An abby, I think…' D.O's voice was unaffected.

'Be careful.'

'Yeah yeah…' his voice drifted away. Baekhyun bit his lip worriedly before slowly stepping away.

All they could do now was wait.

……………………………….

A/N

And now, we can all get ready for the action to start :)

I hope everything makes sense so far... I combined Kai and Tao's power because time and space... make sense? Anyway, its a risky move but they're out of time and don't have much of a choice. We'll see how things go...

Oh and I would REALLY appreciate feedback on these last few chapters because... well, because you'll see... I want things to make sense and not seem like they're completely out of the left field, y'know? So, stay tuned and do let me know. 

Okay then, see you guys :)