Chapter 72

My Love from another Planet

 

DOUBLE UPDATE - read the previous chapter if you haven't 


Lu…han…

The sound was a barely there whisper in the back of his head but it sounded pained and that bothered him. He tried to block it out but…

Luhan… stop please… LUHAN!!!

It wasn't just pained anymore, it literally screamed inside his head, abruptly catching his attention. He winced a little because for some reason, it felt like the pain was coming from inside him and he shook his head, as if trying to dislodge a bothersome fly.

The screams got louder and louder – it sounded like someone was dying, choking and sputtering – and then, there was a dizzying ache that ran through Luhan, starting from his throat and chasing through his entire body. He stumbled, bending over with a gasp and that's when he became conscious of the weight in his arms.

His fingers felt stiff and his arms were aching because he'd been holding whoever it was up so long and he loosened his fingers, grimacing because he'd damn near buried them inside someone's flesh and he had a horrible feeling it was this person's dying screams he'd heard inside his head moments ago.

He let go with a yelp, then yelped again, catching the body before it fell, panic rising because god, that was Kai. Oh god, that was Kai!

Blood was flowing profusely out of his throat and he was shuddering horribly – it looked like he'd burst an artery and now he was bleeding out – and Luhan leaned over him, panic making him clumsy as he tried to stem the flow of blood. 'Hold on, please!'

Kai's body was getting slower and slower, his limbs moving weakly and Luhan shook off another bout of dizziness that was threatening to overcome him, wiping a hand across his eyes to clean them – he realized vaguely he was crying, from pain, from guilt or panic, he had no idea – and grimaced at the metallic smell, the liquid smearing over his face. He didn't dare look at his hands, fearful of what he'd done.

He tore off a strip of his shirt and tied it around the area that was still bleeding too much, tightening it quickly. He needed to get Kai to Lay ASAP or he would die. His knees gave out but he forced himself to stand straight and push back the encroaching darkness.

Another worry was rising in the back of his head and he wanted to shake it off too but it was stronger than even Kai's last call and then, an image of Mei covering her eyes while the vehicle rushed towards her flashed through his head.

He nearly dropped Kai in his panic, as he whirled around and his heart stilled when he didn't spot her immediately. Then his gaze dropped and he saw her, prone on the road, covered in cuts and the dark spots that were spreading rapidly.

To say he lost it at that moment was understating it.

How he managed to carry her and Kai, while he was on the verge of passing out from the pain that was flooding in on him via his links with his mate and his Shadow, he had no idea. Only one thought remained in his head. He needed to get them to Lay so he could heal them. If anything happened to either one of them…

He wouldn't even think about it.

Maybe he unconsciously engaged his powers or maybe it was simply adrenaline lending him additional strength but he carried them both, moving so quickly the trees beside him were a blur. Kai had shown up, probably because of his text and that meant others were here.

'Where's Lay???' he asked the moment he saw the figures stand up from their crouched positions. 'Where is he?'

'At the HQ- !'

They didn't get any chance to react before they were all pushed away, to clear a path and Luhan ran ahead. He stumbled and nearly fell, before straightening and running again. He could feel darkness closing in on him, could feel the life draining out of his Shadow, his mate, with every second that passed and knew, with a kind of fatalistic assurity, that it was already too late.

No! NO! DAMMIT NO!!!

His eyes, which had been sliding lower and lower as darkness threatened to overpower him, flashed suddenly red – redder than they ever had – and there was a strange zipping sensation running through him, a choking moment of breathlessness and then, he emerged, blessedly, into the living room of the headquarters.

'He..l…p.'

That was all he managed before his knees finally gave out and he collapsed, unconscious, on the floor.

…………………………

Baekhyun helped Tao stand up and quickly pushed him. 'Go, they won't last long unless you do something. Hurry!'

Nodding, Tao took off in a sprint and Baekhyun prayed he'd make it in time. Luhan had been too panicked to think clearly and he hadn't considered just how short on time he was. Tao could freeze them in time and grant the extra stretch they needed to survive.

Sighing, he turned around. The other Legends were getting up from where they'd crashed by the final blast of Luhan's power. He did a quick head count to make sure everyone had arrived, so he could report to Suho later about their performance this time.

He could attest that they had improved – there had been almost no fumbling arounds, the way they'd been back when D.O had attacked Raina. Only Kai hadn't stuck to the plan – then again, that was his Shadow and his would-be mate, so he could be excused.

His brows furrowed in a frown and he counted again, then again. Suho was here. So was Xiumin. Chanyeol was helping D.O stand – Kai and Luhan were back at the HQs with Lay and he'd just sent off Tao. 

'Where's Sehun?' He asked, worried. Granted the cub was on his first date but emergency measures required they abandon everything and gather, regardless of their condition – like Xiumin, who hadn’t even bothered to put on a shirt, his hair still wet.

Suho lent him his own jacket before turning to look around, a frown appearing on his own face. 'Not around here… you guys?'

'Nope, not here either.' Chanyeol announced, glancing around the expanse. They all looked at each other, silently asking the same question.

'I'm sure he's…' Chanyeol began but a blast of power ran through their collective link. Now that Luhan's shockwaves weren't suppressing everything else, they could clearly feel the energy that was being used, distinct from the soothing waves Lay generated.

'!'

Collectively, they all started running in the direction of the tug in their link, all hoping nothing bad had happened. Even though the cub had matured, he was far from expert in the use of his powers and while they could trust him to handle himself, he also had his mate to worry about. Who knew what kind of trouble he was in?

'Call him!'

Suho had already taken out his phone, throwing keys at Xiumin with his other hand so he could start up Suho's car that was parked nearby.

Just as quickly as the power had appeared, it suddenly died out. They all stilled, eyeing each other apprehensively. The dialtone of Suho's cellphone – now on loud speaker – rang ominously in the silence as they waited and hoped he would pick up the phone.

As the bell rang for the fifth or sixth time, Xiumin started the car, the engine's revving sounding too loud and silently, they started piling in. As Suho was about to close the door, he answered.

'Hello?'

They all sighed in relief, realizing then just how tense they'd been. Suho closed his eyes, slumping against the seat. 'Thank goodness you're okay… ya, why didn't you pick the phone?' He snapped, straightening.

'I'm sorry, I'm kind of… occupied.'

'Figures.' Baekhyun muttered.

'Yeah, well… I'll tell you later; right now, I'm heading for the HQs so…'

'Okay, see you in a few.' Shutting the phone, Suho nodded and they shot forward.

They arrived just in time to see the cub land on the curb, loosening Tiffany's hold around his neck. His face was covered in minor cuts and scrapes and there were leaves sticking out his hair but other than the generally roughed up appearance, he seemed okay.

He opened the door to push Tiffany inside before turning to greet them. 'Hel...woah!'

Chanyeol was hugging his breath out while Baekhyun slapped his back. 'You had us worried, you brat!'

Sehun grinned sheepishly, then they all filed inside.

……………………………  

Raina was resisting the urge to bite her nails but the silence around her was so thick, it was getting on her nerves. She eyed the two prone figures, eyeing Kyra, then Chen and sighed again. They'd told her she needed to stay with them while they all went away. And Kyra had obviously had a vision – she'd seen her holding her head before Lay had done something, then told her to sleep.

She wondered what was going on, hoping it wasn't anything bad.

The sudden knock on the door made her jump, then she rushed to open it. Bright light filtered inside, making her squint. 'Raina?'

Lay's voice made her look up, eyes still squinting. Then a tall figure moved in front of the doorway and the lowered lighting made it easier for her to see. 'Is everything okay?' The grave look on Tao's and Lay's faces wasn't good.

'I need your help.' Lay told her, 'Will you?'

She nodded, almost unconsciously. 'Of course, what do I need to do?'

'Just… hold my hand.'

She blinked at the unexpected request but it was obvious he was quite serious. 'O-okay.'

'Thanks.' Taking her hand, he started walking towards the living room. Tao walked behind her, placing a soothing arm on her shoulder. 'Don't panic, okay? They'll be fine.'

'Wh… ohmygod!' She nearly screamed at the sight of blood-covered bodies that were spread out on the mattresses placed on the floor, furniture pushed away to make room.

'What's happened? Is…is that Mei?' She eyed the prone figure on the floor, covered in cuts and spots that were blackened like something was eating through her; there were prominent finger marks around her neck and several scratches covering her bare legs and arms that seemed suspiciously like claw marks. She swallowed, feeling a bit sick and averted her eyes.

They landed on the figure beside her, in an even worse condition than Mei. Parts of Mei's body showed her actual skin but Luhan looked like someone had doused him in blood and gore. He was similarly covered in cuts and scrapes and his clothes were torn in places.

What was going on here? She looked at Tao for an explanation. 'Long story.' He shrugged his shoulders, looking grim. 'I'll explain later but please, help him now.'

He looked like he was barely holding himself together – she could understand that because Mei was only her friend and seeing her in this condition was terrifying. Luhan was his brother, of course it was worse.

The soft tug to her hand made her glance down and she wished she hadn't. No wonder Tao looked like he'd seen a ghost.

'K-kai?' She whispered, dropping to her knees beside Lay, 'Oh god… Kai!'

His throat looked like some beast had latched onto it in an effort to tear it apart and the amount of blood soaking rapidly through the new bandages Lay was placing on his neck was not good at all. He was deathly pale, eyes closed, head lolling to one side and his jaw looked like it was displaced.

Oh god… She felt her eyes tear up at the thought of how painful it all was.

'He'll be fine.' Lay muttered, eyes furrowed in concentration as he deftly wiped the blood away so he could clearly see the wounds. Her fingers brushed against the bloody mess poking out of his throat and she repressed a shudder. Lay glanced at her, then wiped her fingers clean with a paper towel and placed her hand around the back of his neck, 'Keep touching me, okay?'

She had no idea how that would help him but if it meant saving her friends, she was willing. She nodded her assent. Lay gave her a soft smile before focusing back on Kai's neck.

She tried not to look but was fascinated despite herself. His movements were precise and deft as he took a sharp scalpel and made a neat cut along the length of his neck, then spread it and buried his fingers inside, searching for something. A moment later, his frown intensified and he closed his eyes.

She was momentarily distracted his face, awed and more than impressed. He was rather breathtaking, all serious and focused like that and…

Shame on you Raina, your friends are dying and this is what you're thinking about?

She shook her head, chastised, and looked down. Then gasped in surprise. Lay had just taken his fingers out of the cut in his neck and was wiping them clean but what caught her attention was the fact that the bleeding had stopped. She blinked to be sure, then glanced at him in confusion. 'How?'

He'd been bleeding to death, had probably cut open an artery by the copious amounts that had been flowing mere moments ago. Now, merely a trickle gathered along the edges of the cuts, which Lay wiped clean with another swipe of antiseptic ball of cotton.

'He can heal.' Baekhyun's voice made her glance up in surprise. The rest of his brothers had shown up and had gathered around them in silence, grim and tense. She nodded as if that made sense, then focused back on what Lay was doing. 

Another shadow fell across them as Suho joined Lay and if she'd been fascinated before, she was absolutely mesmerized. They worked like clockwork, movements timed and not needing any words for communitcation. Suho gently adjusted Kai's trachea, pushing it back in place, then held the skin together as close as it would come while Lay placed two fingers over the wound, then ran it down its length.

She gasped again because the skin healed wherever Lay touched, knitting back together before their eyes. It was absolutely amazing and within moments, Kai's neck looked almost as good as new. There were slight scars but they looked weeks old, like he'd been healing for a long time.

She suddenly remembered how Lay used to rub his thumb across her burns, then shake his head in disappointment. He'd been trying to heal heal her, hadn't he? Then another thought crossed her mind – that time when Tiffany had broken up with Kai… she'd burnt her palms then and Lay had bandaged her hands but she remembered being a bit surprised that there was no sting afterwards. Did that mean he'd managed to heal her that time? Why hadn’t he been able to do it before?

The questions running through her head were making her a bit dizzy, especially because under these circumstances, she couldn't ask them. But she marked them for later, whenever she got the time.

Lay straightened with a sigh and slumped back. On the other side, Suho did the same. 'He's safe.'

There was a collective sigh of relief, including hers. Lay didn't bother to stand up, just shuffled on his knees to sit next to Mei. Raina shifted too, making sure her hand kept touching his neck.

He scanned his eyes over her body, taking in the cuts and the areas he needed to focus on. He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath to prepare himself; then exhaled slowly, opening his eyes. Raina noted, with some measure of surprise, that his pupils were bright red.

'Tao, let her out but keep it slow, okay?' He called.

Tao nodded, gesturing with his hands. Raina wondered what he was talking about but a moment later, she understood. Sort of. It looked like Mei had been frozen in some way and as Tao gestured, she unfroze. Her chest rose lightly as she breathed – more like panted, as if in high fever – and the black spots on her body began expanding, slowly but surely.

'Slower.' Lay called, placed his hand on Mei's neck. Tao, looming over them, nodded again and the spots slowed their movement. 'Okay, hold it.'

Tao nodded again, then leaned back against the wall. Raina stared at him in stupefication – he was controlling time, wasn't he? Or at least, he was controlling the time on Mei's body, slowing it down so that whatever the infection was, wouldn't spread too fast while Lay got a chance to heal. Wow. Did they all have such powers?

'We do.' Baekhyun came to sit in front of them, 'all of us have different powers.'

She nodded, then they all fell quiet as Lay concentrated on healing Mei. Raina's arm was beginning to ache as she kept it raised so it would keep touching his neck but it kept slipping. Finally, Baekhyun leaned over and grabbed her hand, lowering it to rest Lay's forearm. 'You just need to touch him, it doesn't matter where.'

She nodded, grateful. They fell silent again. Unlike the cuts on Kai's neck which had healed within mintues, the black spots were fading very, very slowly and it was apparently taking a toll on Lay and Tao. Sweat coated their brows and Lay was beginning to look a bit unwell, almost as pale as Mei.

'Ya…' Baekhyun's voice broke the silence again, 'take a break.'

Lay shook his head, not changing his position. Raina looked at Baekhyun, he looked back helplessly and shrugged. 'Can I get some water?' She asked.

He nodded, then stood up with a stretch. Eyeing Lay worriedly again, he went off. She looked at him worriedly too. Whatever he was doing, it was obviously it was causing him a lot of effort. His jaw was clenched and the skin she was touching was getting steadily colder and…

'What's that?' She asked, spying the black spot that had appeared behind his ear. It looked suspiciously similar to whatever Mei had – or did, since the spots were all but gone now – and she eyed it with apprehension.

Lay shook his head again, not opening his mouth. But his throat worked as if trying to contain something inside. 'Lay, please stop, I don't think this is good for you.'

He swallowed, grimacing. 'Almost done.'

His voice was very weak and it scared her.

'Lay…' He didn't respond, and when she gently touched him, he slumped over. Raina panicked. 'BAEKHYUN!!'

…………………………

A/N

Wow, that was intense, no? Poor Kai, I swear I'm sorry bb, I'll make it all up to you T__T

And the entire Lay/Suho duo working as a super team, totally inspired by Grey's Anatomy and Dr. Shepherd <333 (still not over him) Um... the few things that didn't get explained here will get time later on. But in the meantime, why not guess? I'd really like to hear if you have anything to say :) so do comment. 

Okay then, laters.