Chapter 13

My Love from another Planet

‘Killer?’ Suho’s surprise was evident in his voice.

‘Yeah, Killer.’ Kris nodded, turning up the volume so they could hear the news being played. ‘I wondered where he’d gone off to – honestly…’ he glanced around to make sure no one could overhear him, ‘I sort of thought Evil had… you know… Chen because Killer wasn’t able to…’

‘Are you implying he killed Chen so he could possess his body because Killer can’t take it anymore?’ Suho whispered seriously. It was a thought that had crossed his mind as well – well, not about Killer per se but it wasn’t that far out to think Evil was possessing their brother’s body.

Kris bit his lip, his eyes fixed on the television but nodded. ‘Yeah… he’d been keeping him alive, right – either he got what he wanted out of Chen… ‘

‘I doubt that.’ Suho interrupted, ‘Chen’d rather die…’

There was an awkward silence as he broke off and looked away. The way things were, he probably had done exactly that. Kris cleared his throat. ‘Or he needed a new body. Killer’s been inactive all this time we’ve been here but look at that.’

They glanced at the TV screen, the reporter standing at the crime scene where Killer had left his calling card again.

‘I sort of think…’ Suho glanced around to make sure D.O wasn’t within hearing range, ‘D.O’s little swap with Chen alerted Evil about our Shadow links. From what he said, I gathered Evil hadn’t been aware that Shadows could track each other like that. And immediately after his return, Evil amped up the torture – D.O wasn’t able to sleep for even a moment.’

‘Think he knows about the mates too?’

‘Geez, I hope not!’ Suho rubbed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. ‘It’s hard enough that I’m not beside her right now…’

Kris swallowed the lump in his throat and ignored the sudden ache in his heart, patting Suho’s back instead. ‘Call her.’

Suho smiled tiredly. ‘I think I’ll do that.’

‘Go on,’ Kris nodded towards the room they were sharing. ‘I’ll be out here, ‘kay?’

‘Thanks.’

Suho left Kris, anticipation evident in his quick steps. Kris smiled at the sight – he’d been like that too, he supposed. Had it been Karen…

Her face flashed with picture perfect clarity in front of his eyes and a couple of tears slipped loose despite the vice grip he kept on his emotions. This situation with Chen was too much like a repeat of the episode with his mate – except she’d been a victim of a terrible whimsy of fate whereas Chen, for all practical purposes, had been murdered in cold blood. That made it worse.

He’d been holding himself together for the sake of his brothers, especially his Shadow who’d been there for everything, who’d comforted him through the worst of his depressions and now, it was his turn to repay that favor.

But sometimes, the urge to just breakdown was overwhelming. Add the fact that each miserable moment was a cruel reminder of his own loss and he was surprised he’d managed to hold on this long. He just stared at the screen in front of him, biting his lips to hold himself together but it was too much. Just when Chanyeol had finally gone to sleep…

He was rubbing his eyes, trying not to make a sound when there was a shuffling noise. He looked up in surprise to find Lay rubbing his eyes sleepily as he stumbled across his room towards the sofa where Kris was sitting.

He slumped in beside him and wrapped his arms around the bigger man, mumbling, ‘It’s okay, let it out.’

Kris his lips, trying to hold back but the comforting hand on his back was too much and he gave in, tears dripping down his face as he looked away. The hand on his waist warmed up and the soothing waves rolling off his brother only made his dissolve into tears even more. He put his hands on his face and as Lay had suggested, let it out.

By the time Suho returned from his call, intent on discussing the idea of Evil taking over Chen’s body, it was to find both Kris and Lay fast asleep on the sofa, the news forgotten as it blared in the dark room.

He didn’t have the heart to wake either of them, seeing how little sleep all of them had been getting with their tight schedule, so he just put a spare blanket over them and turned off the screen, quietly slipping back to his room.

…………………

Karen’s face was beautiful and full of life, unlike the rest of her body – which was a bloody mess but even with the occasional red drops staining her cheeks, she looked alive…

Her eyes slid open and her façade shifted, taking the visage of his brother. Chen’s lips smirked in a terrible imitation of his real smile as his soulless gaze held Kris’s terrified one and his mouth hissed out the words ‘I’ll take everyone from you, one by one.’

Kris shook his head, trying to dislodge that illusion but it held and only got stronger, now both Chen and Karen appearing side by side, their faces identically alien, eyes identically dead as they attacked Kris. ‘Why’d you let this happen?’ They chorused happily, tearing at his skin, making him bleed like them and shook him hard. ‘Why’d you let him do this to us? Why Kris, why? Why? Why? WHY???’

Kris woke up with a start, shuddering and sweating and bumped his head into Chanyeol’s, who’d been leaning his face close to Kris’s. Rubbing his forehead, he realized he’d woken up to Chanyeol shaking him out of his nightmare. He tried to shift but the weight on his legs made him realize Lay was still beside him, his arms now comfortably twined around his limbs and head nestled in the crook of his knees.

Chanyeol’s eyes were red, his hair standing on end and it was obvious the guy had been crying. But he gave a tentative smile. ‘Want me to move him?’

Kris nodded, heart still thudding from the after effects of his nightmare. He shifted as Chanyeol picked Lay and took him back to his room, the blanket trailing on the floor behind him. Lay mumbled in his sleep and wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck. It might’ve been a trick of light but Lay’s fingers seemed to be glowing and far as Kris remembered, that only happened when he was onto some massive healing.

Poor guy, Kris thought, working even in his dreams.

Chanyeol returned a few minutes later, looking sleepier than he had before – Lay obviously had healed him. He didn’t say anything, just collapsed beside Kris and threw his arm around his shoulders, leaning his head back.   

Several minutes passed in silence and Kris thought maybe his Shadow had gone to sleep when he spoke up. ‘I thought the nightmares had gone away.’

Of course. Kris should’ve seen this coming – after all, his Shadow had gone through these with him before as well. He nodded. ‘They had…’

‘Is it because of Chen?’

Kris stared at his own fingers, then twined them together. ‘Guess so.’

‘You couldn’t have done anything.’ Chanyeol’s voice was gruff and it was obvious how much the topic pained him but he was here, trying to relieve him of his guilt. Kris shook his head.

‘I should’ve considered what keeping them cooped like this would lead do.’ This had been pinching him since the day Chen had disappeared. He’d known the two Legends were getting restless but he’d put his duty first and look where it had led to. ‘Ow!’

Chanyeol glared at him, pulling his fist back. ‘You couldn’t have known he’d run off like that.’

Kris didn’t say anything and after a while, Chanyeol let out a sigh and leaned his head back again. ‘If it could’ve been prevented, Lay would’ve spoken up…’ Kris nodded in agreement and they sat in silence for a while again.

After a while, Chanyeol stretched his legs out, dangling off the sofa and his head slipped into Kris’s lap, eyes closed and deep breathing telling him the guy was knocked out cold.

His own eyes were getting heavy again but he was too petrified that he’d fall right back into that dream again. But eventually, his tired body took over his mind and he gave into the encroaching darkness. Maybe it was the comfort of sleeping with his Shadow – or simply because he was so tired out that his mind couldn’t churn up any other scenarios – but he slept peacefully.

Horribly cramped, yes and in a terrible position, vying for a comfortable spot his Shadow wasn’t taking over but for what had to be the first time in weeks, he slept without the nightmares disturbing him.

…………………

In his bed, in the room he was sharing with Baekhyun, Lay’s closed eyes drenched the pillow underneath his head, his heart feeling like it’d break apart as nightmares marred his sleep and made him twitch restlessly. His eyes constantly moved behind his lids and sweat coated his brow, his breath fast turning into pants.

Baekhyun’s eyes snapped open when his discomfort got too much and he sat up, rubbing at his chest, his heart racing like he’d been in a marathon. He blinked wildly, staring around crazily before he realized the source of his restlessness.

Muttering under his breath, he got up and picked his pillow and didn’t bother to open his eyes completely before collapsing into bed beside Lay. His arms went around his trembling Shadow and the tips of his fingers glowed as he unconsciously channeled his energy to banish the darkness.

Lay stopped twitching, whatever that bothered him – had been bothering him since they’d arrived here – going away and he relaxed, slipping into a peaceful slumber.

…………………

A/N

Bromance