Chapter 39

My Love from another Planet

'So the wind blows and the chains clank and Tao jumps out of his skin, shrieking his head off!!'

The room burst into laughter as Tao sat with his head down, not really minding the cracks as long as he was out of that horrible place.

'Did you really scream?' Raina asked, looking sympathetic. He nodded obediently. 'I did.'

'Aw, poor baby!' Tiffany cooed, patting his head.

They were gathered around in Xiumin's shop, Black Pearl, all except Luhan and Mei who'd been so lovey-dovey after her rescue that they'd forced them out of the place and Suho, who was having dinner with Angel's parents.

'Go, make out somewhere else!' Baekhyun had chastened them, not looking particularly impressed by the threatening glares Luhan kept throwing him.

Luhan had been ready to beat the Legend up for touching Mei even though both parties had explained it was nothing, just something he had to do to help her stand up. Luhan countered he didn't have to kiss her hand to which Baekhyun offered a smarmy smile. 'A kiss is my price, brother. You can't deny me something I rightfully earned.'

Needless to say, they were glad Xiumin was strong enough to actually push Luhan back and force him into his senses. 'You know Baekhyun, he's never going to do anything to her.' Xiumin told the overly-sentimental-and-possessive-to-the-point-of-creepiness Legend. 'But if you get irritated, he's going to keep doing it.'

That was true – Baekhyun liked teasing, he kept at it until the other party snapped. It was primarily the reason he, Chanyeol and Chen were such good friends; they all knew how to annoy a person. So, Luhan, after threatening to gut the guy, had finally decided he wasn't going to go anywhere but stay at home and snuggle with his girlfriend instead.

That Mei was happy was understating it; she was positively bursting with joy and Tiffany and Raina gave her sly winks and thumbs-up. 'Make your move!' Tiffany told her, 'Jump him when he gets out of the shower!'

'Hide his clothes!' Raina added her own two-bits, 'and his towel!'

'Why are you two so sure he's going to shower?' Mei frowned in confusion.

'Cause that's how it always goes.' Raina waved a hand about nonchalantly. 'He'll tell you to make yourself comfortable, select a movie or something while he takes a shower. Trust me.'

'If he doesn't,' Tiffany advised her seriously, 'tell him you want to shower instead. Okay?'

'But why?' Mei whined, 'I already washed up in the morning!'

'You want to sleep with him or not???' Tiffany smacked the table, making everyone look at them. Mei pushed her head down, blushing. 'Of course I do but…'

'So go for it, it's the perfect opportunity. His brothers are here and Suho won't be home until later so you don't even have to worry about making noise.'

'Will you shut up?' Mei snapped, red in face. 'I'm not sleeping with him tonight.'

'Why not?' Raina whined like she was somehow being deprived. 'He looks so good!'

'Yeah, bitelicious!' Tiffany winked and both girls high-fived.

'Ew, did Aria possess you two? Get your minds out of the gutter! And why the hell are you noticing he's bitelicious? Go look at Kai!' Mei sounded shrilly possessive and it made the girls grin even more.

'Ooh, you look cute when you're jealous!'

'Stop it already!'

Thankfully, Luhan had shown up beside her and she'd shot up, looking nervous and excited. Tiffany elbowed Raina. 'They're so going to do it.'

'I know, right!' Raina nodded sagely. Mei glared at her friends before dragging Luhan away, leaving the girls collapsing with hysterical laughter. Moments later, Baekhyun and the rest had descended on them.

'You're the girl who saved Lay, right?' He'd pointed one delicate finger at Raina's face, who blinked, feeling a flush climbing over her face. This guy had the same aura Tiffany possessed – looking like perfection personified, so handsome it actually hurt to look at him – and it was no surprise that she felt shy. Instead of opening and risking a croak coming out of her dry throat, she'd nodded mutely.

'Thank you so, so much!!!' Baekhyun had hugged her enthusiastically. She'd stiffened, unsure how to react and looked at Tiffany for help, who giggled and gestured for her to return the hug.

'N-no problem.' Raina stuttered. Baekhyun shook his head, holding her at an arm's length, his slender fingers digging into her shoulders. 'I owe you for saving him… if you ever need help, just let me know. I'll do it free of cost!'

Raina had no idea how to react to that but Tiffany obviously had no problems. 'What's the usual price?'

'A kiss.'

Tiffany laughed. 'Why a kiss?'

'Cause the world can always use some more love.' He winked and wiggled his brows naughtily, making Raina giggle and lose her shyness. 'Is this what Luhan was talking about? Did you kiss Mei?'

'Yup.' Baekhyun gave her an infectious grin – he had to have the most charming smile she'd ever seen. 'Usually I'd insist on receiving one but since I was in a hurry, I gave one instead.' He pouted cutely. 'I've been robbed and Luhan won't even compensate me!'

'You really should learn when to shut up!' Chanyeol slid in beside Baekhyun, using his hip to dislodge him. 'Asking him for a kiss when he's threatening you isn't really smart, bucko.'

'Pfft…' Baekhyun snorted, then grabbed an unsuspecting Tao, who'd been passing by, from the scruff of his neck and dragging him into the sofa. 'Come on, sit with me!'

Tao had protested that Sehun was waiting for him but Baekhyun didn't listen to him and soon, it became irrelevant because Sehun came rushing inside, looking like hounds were after him. His eyes met Tiffany's and they both blushed before glancing away. He was turning back when Kai entered the room, right behind him and he paled, then rushed toward the group and forced himself between Baekhyun and Tao.

Kai smiled at Tiffany and her blush intensified, as his kiss from earlier this morning and Sehun's accidental one swirled around in her head and made her feel absolutely awkward. Especially when Kai sat down beside her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

Sehun glared at Kai but glanced away when the elder looked at him. Thankfully, Baekhyun brought up Tao's shrieking and they were engaged in an exaggerated description of how Baekhyun had rushed to Mei's rescue, with enthusiastic embellishments from Chanyeol and Tao.

Lily saw the group chattering away and shook her head. She'd put up a closed sign because she figured Xiumin didn't want outsiders when his brothers were around – that's how he'd usually worked in the previous place as well. She was thinking she'd spend this time catching up with him – after all, he needed to know how business was faring and truthfully, she missed chatting with him, so she'd offered to make some coffee for him.

Only, once the machine started working and the delicious scent spread out, his brothers came up to her with pitiful faces that demanded to be fed. Shaking her head – because how could she say no when they pouted like that? – she asked Tiffany and Raina to come up and help her and soon, they were all busy spreading snacks around.

Kai took the barstool right in front of Tiffany, watching her work and smiling every time their eyes met. Sehun looked at the interaction for all of two minutes before he slid into the stool beside Kai and moments later, Tao joined him – if only so his Shadow won't do something stupid, like attacking the guy.      

Baekhyun and Chanyeol took the seats in front of the bakery section – it was a serve-yourself counter and they were soon busy eating pastries and cakes.

Which left Raina to deal with Lay who'd not spoken a word since they'd returned. He'd been sitting quietly in the group, though when he'd slipped in beside Baekhyun, Raina didn't know. And he hadn’t said anything, just sitting back and occasionally cracking a smile while his brothers chattered non-stop around him. Raina wondered if he was still feeling sick – he'd been feverish when he'd woken up – so she put a steaming cup of cappuccino in front of him.

He glanced up at the sound of cup hitting the wooden counter and gave her a sweet, sad smile. 'Thank you.' He bowed his head but made no move to take the drink.

'Drink up, it's on the house.' Raina tried to cheer him up. He gave that same sweet, sad smile and heaved a laden sigh before slowly putting his hand on the counter, his delicate fingers brushing the cup before pushing it away. 'It's okay, you take it.'

Raina blinked. She'd only hung out with him during the funfair but he'd been fairly cheerful – except when that psychopath had shown up; he's cried then... which reminded her, she needed to find out more about him as well. It would have to wait though – until Lay didn't look like he was going to break any second.

She didn't know what his problem was but he looked like he could use someone to talk to. She leaned over the counter, gently patting his hand. 'You wanna talk about it?'

He looked up at her, looking a bit surprised. She smiled encouragingly. 'It's better to let it out, you know… whatever it is that's bothering you, instead of keeping it bottled inside. You'll explode.'

He looked at her stoically for a moment before sighing again and looking down. She didn't think he'd say anything but he murmured. 'I've had enough.'

He burst into tears after that, crying silently. She saw Baekhyun glance up at him, looking worried but she shook her head when he made a move to get up. Sometimes, people felt obliged to put on a brave face in front of their family – Kyra, for instance – and it wasn't always the best thing. Let him vent first, then his brothers could comfort him. Baekhyun didn't look too convinced but he sat down, though he kept glancing at Lay. 

Raina waited patiently for him to let it all out. She had no idea what he was going through but she knew he could foresee like Kyra and Kyra had gone through a period of severe depression when her inability to do anything about the future had taken over her, making her despair and feel useless. Maybe Lay was feeling the same.

Or maybe he was just sad. Either ways, she let him cry, turning his hand so he could grasp hers; he held on tightly, bending his head low so his tears drenched their clasped hands. By the time he ended, she had tears in her own eyes.

'S-sorry for p-putting you through that…' he wiped his eyes with one hand, the other still holding hers. She blinked, swallowing so her voice wouldn't choke. 'Don't apologize for being human.'

After all, just because he and Kyra could see the future, it didn’t make them invincible. They were people, just like everyone else, and crying only proved that. He smiled a little at that and she was glad to notice that he looked comparatively less sad than before. 'Being human?'

'You can't control everything, you know. Foreknowledge isn't omnipotence.'

'Great words!' The loud voice made her snap her head up; Baekhyun grinned at her, sliding beside Lay and wrapping an arm around his shoulders. 'Now can you explain what that mean?'

She smiled at his cheeky tone. 'It means you don't have to do things alone all the time, especially when you have friends by your side.' She wasn't sure if she was talking to Lay or Kyra but it didn't matter anyway – both could use that advice. Baekhyun nodded in agreement.

'Exactly what I try to tell him.' He slapped Lay's back, making him hit his chin on the counter. He winced, pulling the dazed guy back and examining his chin. 'Sorry about that, let me kiss it better.'

Raina giggled at the sight – it was undeniably adorable, Baekhyun rubbing a pouting Lay's chin, blowing on it like a worried mom before leaning forward and planting a soft kiss on it. 'There, all better!'

'Aw, that is just so cute.' She gushed, feeling a bit overwhelmed with cuteness. Baekhyun gave her a naughty smile, leaning forward, 'Want me to kiss you better?'

She blushed, even if his eyes were twinkling with mischief. He was hitting on her and she had no idea how to respond.

'Stop harassing her!' Chanyeol smacked Baekhyun's head, who hit in on the counter as well – or would've if Lay hadn't placed his hand in place to prevent it. Baekhyun smiled his thanks, then turned and attacked Chanyeol. Soon, others had joined in and the entire thing was turning into a massive fist fight, though they were careful not to break anything.

She and Lay watched from the sidelines and it wasn't until she tried to move that she realized he hadn't let go of her hand. When she discreetly tried to pull it back, his fingers tightened slightly before letting go. He turned when she straightened and gave her a small, dimpled smile.

'I'd take that cappuccino now.' She felt unreasonably proud that she'd helped put that smile back in place.

'Be right there.'

She was humming as she went about her work.

……………………….

The coffee, like anything else she did, was perfectly done. It was exactly as he liked it and he felt a bit like he'd discovered nirvana when he took the first sip.

'Why are you so good?' He muttered softly, staring lovingly at the cup.

'Are you talking about my coffee-making skills or just talking to your true love?' Lily asked sardonically, sipping from her own.

'Both?' He replied dreamily, then blinked. 'Coffee isn't my true love.'

'Sure it isn't.' Lily shrugged, raising a brow at the way he was caressing the coffee mug and hugging it close to his chest. He rolled his eyes maturely and took another sip, suppressing another moan of delight.

'I missed this so much!' He gushed, feeling truly awake for the first time in the entire day. 'Thanks.'

'No problem.'

They sat in silence for some time, enjoying the coffee and the company, occasionally smiling when their eyes met.

'How's Rose?' He asked after a while. Lily's eyes saddened a bit but she pushed that away. 'She's much better now – the doctors are very hopeful about her recovery… but you tell me, how's Chen? I heard you guys had an accident?'

That was the story they were sticking with to – that they'd had a severe accident. Thinking about Chen, though, was tough. He shrugged, feeling uncomfortable – especially since his heart wanted to react, to hurt, but the cold he'd forced onto himself pushed it away. 'Same, I guess. He's as healthy as he can get, physically at least… whether or not he wakes up…'

His heart gave another push, then another and he closed his eyes, trying to force the ice back in place. Lily observed the various emotions that passed over his face before he settled into that unconcerned mask. 'I hope he gets well soon. It must be hard for you guys, though.'

'I guess.' He replied noncommittally, then sighed with relief when Lily changed the topic.

'How about you? Are you okay now?' She sounded genuinely concerned and it warmed his heart, making it hard to keep himself aloof. 'I'm great.'

'You still look a bit sick, though and you've lost a lot of weight…' she commented, sharp eyes taking in the details. Her eyes stopped on his head and she grinned. 'What happened to your hair?'

He touched it self-consciously.

'I'm not really sure,' he told her, half truthfully. It had gone completely white and he suspected it was because he'd overused his powers when he'd tried to stall Kris, freezing his burning body. Then Lay had healed him and perhaps it was an effect of prolonged exposure to his light energy but his hair had started turning golden and now, he was sporting a fully blonde head. 'I think Sehun put dye in my shampoo or something.'

She smiled and he noticed she'd put on lipstick. It suited her, making her look very pretty.

'You've gotten prettier.' She thanked him coolly for the compliment but he noticed the slight blush that coated her cheeks. 'That dress… was that a date last night or what?'

She frowned in distaste. 'Don't remind me.'

'That bad?' He grinned at her expression. She nodded in agreement. 'Worst I've had so far.'

'Your mom's still setting you up on blind dates?'

'Sadly, yes. I've told her time and again I have no time for this kind of nonsense but she really doesn't listen.'

They were soon busy chatting about stuff like that, catching up on things. He was surprised to find himself actually interested in hearing what she had to say – like he'd actually missed out on these random chats about nothing in particular. She'd been a regular part of his life for over two years now and to say she'd carved a niche for herself in his heart was perhaps understating it.

He'd been right in assuming he'd need to push her away as well. A part of him felt bitter – why did he have to isolate himself? – but he knew it was for the best. He'd ask her to move back to her room or something, he couldn’t let her become more a part of his life than was strictly necessary.

 He was wondering how to bring that up though, when Lily solved the problem for him. 'I'll have to talk to the landlord first but I think he'll have the keys available by tomorrow so I'll move out, okay?'

He nodded, 'Take your time. You're more than welcome…'

The sound of bodies crashing on the floor made them both jerk up and then rush outside, only to find his brothers entangled and wrestling on the floor while Tiffany sat in one corner with Kai and Raina in the other with Lay.

He sighed, thinking Suho and Luhan owed him big time for keeping them here while they went to have fun with their mates, before marching forward with every intention of breaking them up only to get dragged into the fight himself.

Lily watched Xiumin vanish into the tangle of arms and legs and shook her head, smiling. Tiffany slipped beside her, looking a little cold but more eager than anything else. They still hadn't made up after the fight but only because she'd been too tired to call her last night. 'I'm sorry Tiff for…'

'Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry too blah, blah, blah...' Tiffany cut her off impatiently, 'did you guys make up or not?'

Lily sighed, thinking her friend was really too stubborn. 'We talked about stuff we usually do. No, we're not 'back' together,' she raised her fingers to make quotation marks, 'but we're not fighting. That okay?'

Tiffany pouted, looking dissatisfied. 'I'm going to let that go because you were right, it really isn't any of my business but trust me, you don’t find guys like him every day.'

Geez, she knew that, what did Tiffany take her for?

'An idiot.' Tiffany told her and Lily threw her hands up. 'Fine. I'm an idiot. Are we still friends or not?'

'Of course we are.' Tiffany bumped her shoulder comfortably. 'You won't get rid of me so easily.'

Lily smiled at that; she didn't want to either.

……………………….

A/N

I think this is the point where university stress got too much for me and I decided to unleash the crazy. Be prepared XD