Chapter 29

My Love from another Planet

Lily was regretting telling Tiffany and Raina that she had a date tonight. In her defense, she’d thought they’d be happy on having day off. Sadly, she’d forgotten she was supposedly in a deeply committed relationship with her business partner.

Why did I let things get this far again? She wondered for the hundredth time as Tiffany finished up with the cleaning and came over to grill her again.  

‘So…’ She glanced over at Raina who was sending the last customer away. ‘What about Xiumin?’

She’d heard this question repeated so many times during the day, it finally cracked her.  

‘I honestly don’t care!’ She snapped, annoyed that Xiumin was managing to affect her even in his absence. It wasn’t that she had anything against the guy but seriously, he couldn’t even be bothered to drop in and say hi, let alone come to work.

She’d seen his brothers around, so she knew he was back but he hadn’t even bothered to send a message or anything. She’d spent the past three months working her off to manage his shop – since he had the larger share in their partnership – doing renovations, setting everything up and then, getting started. 

And now, when she finally had some time for herself, to do things she hadn’t even been able to consider due to the workload and family situation… well, she could be excused for being impatient.

Not that she was annoyed with him or anything.

Nope, not at all.

Tiffany was looking at her like she’d uttered blasphemy when she finished.

‘What?’ she asked, annoyed.

‘You… really don’t know, do you?’ Tiffany looked pitying. ‘He’s very sick, that’s why he didn’t come here.’

Lily blinked. She really hadn’t known that – but then again, no matter how everyone else looked at it, their relationship was strictly professional… or that’s what she tried to tell herself anyway, feeling guilty. He hadn’t encouraged any sharing of personal matters… rather, his personal matters, since he knew all about her family’s situation. Which begged the question, how did Tiffany find out?

‘Kai told me. They were all really busy during the summers, handling some family matters, and just before they came back, there was an accident. Chen’s in coma, like Rose and Xiumin is still recovering from the burns he sustained.’

Lily bit her lip, feeling guiltier for not seeking him out on her own. Sure, they weren’t dating but he was still more than just someone she’d worked with.

‘I… had no idea.’ She cleared . ‘I’ll have to see him when I get the chance.’

Tiffany nodded, looking happy.

‘I’ll go tomorrow.’ Lily decided.

‘Good... so I’ll tell Kai I’m working tonight.’

‘Huh?’ Lily brought herself back to the present. ‘Why?’

‘You’re not going, so of course we’ll…’

‘I didn’t say I’m not going.’

‘WHAT?’ Tiffany all but screamed. ‘After I tell you all about it?’

‘They are two different things.’ Lily tried to explain but Tiffany was having none of that. ‘Your boyfriend’s sick, you know why he couldn’t contact you… how can you just go on a date like that?’

‘Two reasons – one, I promised my mom I’d see the guy and two, Xiumin’s not my boyfriend.’

‘WHAT???’ It was Raina’s turn to be shocked. She turned to look at a shell-shocked Tiffany. ‘But you said they were going to live happily ever after!’

‘I…’ Tiffany blinked slowly, trying to process that little bit of information. ‘I thought they were…’

‘Why?’ Lily sighed, not even surprised Raina knew all about her ‘relationship’ with the boss.

‘Oh come on!’ Anger took place of shock on Tiffany’s face. ‘You two are like that high school couple everyone knows will end up married – it’s always Lily-and-Xiumin, or Xiumin-and-Lily. You’re making me question everything I know about life!!!’

‘Stop being so melodramatic.’ Lily snorted at her exaggeration. ‘I don’t get why you guys thought we were dating in the first place.’

‘Um… maybe because he kissed the living daylights out of you. In front of everyone, I might add.’

‘He did that?’ Raina’s eyes expanded, glancing between the two girls.

‘It was a joke.’

‘Oh? So you sleep with guys as a joke too?’ Tiffany said sarcastically. Lily mentally cursed, remembering the stupid prank she’d played on her friends, making them think she’d slept slept with the guy.  

‘It was…’

‘Please don’t lie.’ Tiffany gave her superior sort of smile. ‘We have eyewitnesses.’

Raina’s mouth was a surprised ‘O’, her eyes shifting avidly between Lily and Tiffany. Lily opened , wondering how she’d explain that. How could a stupid joke turn into an even stupider argument, she had no idea but there was only one way to settle it.

‘You know what, I don’t have to explain myself. Who I date or sleep with is none of your concern.’

‘Um, y much?’

‘Excuse me?’ Lily’s voice turned cold, finally having had enough.

‘Tiffany.’ Raina finally stepped in between the two, seeing the argument was taking a turn for the worse. ‘I think you should let it go – she’s right, it’s none of your concern.’

Tiffany blinked. ‘Well excuse me for caring.’ She snapped at Raina and marched outside. Raina watched her leave, before turning to Lily.

‘She’s your friend, you know…’ she told her mildly, ‘She has a right to care and stop you if she thinks you’re making a mistake.’

Lily pursed her lips, irritated and now feeling even guiltier than before. Great, just great. She nodded at Raina. ‘I know… I’ll talk to her... later.’

Smiling, Raina went after Tiffany and Lily sank into her seat, wondering if it really was appropriate for her to visit him. After all, they were friends first… at least, she hoped they were.

That and how the she was going to get back into Tiffany’s good graces without getting ‘back’ with Xiumin.

…………………

‘I’m fine, I swear.’ Xiumin tried not to show how eager he was to leave this place.

He’d spent the past three weeks confined within the boundaries of his room, the living room his farthest destination around the house. Thankfully, Lay had healed him completely – at a high cost too, seeing as the guy was now totally burnt out – and a part of him felt guilty for running away but a bigger part of him, the part that had helped him survive after losing his family, screamed at him to back out before he got in too deep again.

Once in a lifetime was enough. He didn’t want to get dragged into the personal concerns of his pack mates. Living with them these past weeks had assured him that he was getting himself more and more involved, caring more and more about them, and he needed to get away. Get out when he still had a chance of remaining aloof, when he still had a chance of coming out unharmed.

You’re abandoning your friends, his conscience spoke up but he suppressed it. This was for his sanity – he couldn’t go on if he started caring. The pain of it still haunted him but he wasn’t falling for that trap. Not again.

Which was why the moment he was able to stand up and move on his own legs without collapsing, he’d announced he was moving back to his apartment.

Hence the constant questions, asking if he was alright and who knew what else. All of which did nothing but make him realize just how much trouble he’d gotten himself into. Already, his heart was resisting, wanting to stay and comfort Lay, to encourage him and tell him things would be alright. To tell Baekhyun not to worry about his Shadow, that this was a natural consequence of overconsumption, to offer his advice to their overworked and stressed out leader.

He didn’t do any of that, forcing himself out the door and into the night.

‘Be careful!’

He grunted, waving without looking back and started hurrying away. The sooner he got away the better.

Luhan fell in step with him. ‘So…’

‘Where did you come from?’ Xiumin crinkled his nose, not liking the company. Luhan’s eyes were too understanding as they landed on him and Xiumin hurriedly glanced away. He wasn’t going to defend himself if that’s what Luhan wanted – he already knew everything and Xiumin didn’t believe in repeating himself.

‘Don’t worry, I won’t be interrupting your reunion with Lily.’ Luhan gave him a cheeky smile, wiggling his eyebrows. ‘Bet she’s excited.’

Sorry Lily.

He’d used her – again – as an excuse to get things done his way. Soon as her name came up, everyone backed off, assuming he wanted to get back with her as soon as possible. He wasn’t worried about her though – she’d understand, she always did.

They walked in silence, Luhan occasionally glancing at him but keeping quiet while Xiumin questioned his decision the entire way. Running away wasn’t the smartest move but it had worked before, might as well try it again.

They were in front of the Shop all too soon. He stared at the stylish entrance, surprised. It had been in a bad condition when he’d left but now the area was unrecognizable. The entrance was so elegant and sophisticated, he couldn’t wait to see the interior.

The lock wasn’t a problem, thanks to Luhan, who used his telekinesis to tweak with the gauges and soon, the door clicked open.

Luhan whistled. ‘This is… woah!’    

Xiumin smiled, feeling unnecessarily proud of her. He couldn’t have done it better if he’d done it himself… she’d even added a bakery section, something he hadn’t really considered… and there was the tiny reading section, a mini library. Wow, she really had outdone herself.

‘I must bring Mei here!’ Luhan was glancing around the various spots, peeking around corners like a curious cat.

‘Sure, anytime.’ He too busy admiring the textured walls – they were bricked, giving the necessary rustic feel that somehow complemented the otherwise sophisticated tone of the area. The sound of clattering brought him out of his daze and he hurried towards the room, wondering what the problem was.

‘Sorry, I bumped into this… rack thingy.’ Luhan was setting the coat rack straight. ‘My bad.’

After a long time of thorough admiration, Luhan finally left and Xiumin locked the door after him, heading towards the back so he could get into his apartment.

He wondered casually if she’d wrought any changes in his personal space. After all, he’d told her to use his place, so it wouldn’t be surprising. Truth be told, after the shop, he was kind of looking forward to it.

So it was a bit of a disappointment to find his place exactly as he’d left it. There were hardly any signs that she’d indeed used this place. Other than her small suitcase neatly placed in the corner and a few toiletries, he wouldn’t have known she’d actually been living here.

Maybe that was a good thing – after all, she could become his weakness since he cared for her as well, same as his brothers. He’d tell her to leave, now that he was back, he supposed.

His heart protested, loneliness already weighing heavy on him. The place was too quiet, with just him. He liked silence but this was getting on his nerves.

It’s for the best, he told himself firmly.

Selfish bastard. He smiled heartlessly at the intense reprimand. He was selfish, to the extent that he was putting his own needs above the pack. Then again, he’d learned from experience that the only one left standing was him and he was the only one who’d suffer; no one, no one, could take his pain away. So excuse him for being selfish.   

He spend some time, trying to get back into his mode – the one where every emotion felt distant, like it was for everyone else but not him. The isolation helped and even though his heart was constantly banging against his chest, protesting against being buried under the ice again, he forced himself to wrap the cold blanket of aloofness around him.

Exhausted by the ordeal, emotionally drained, he collapsed into the bed and was out in seconds.

………………………

The date was, in word, a disaster.

Lily couldn’t believe her mom had actually asked her to even consider the guy… in fact, she suspected her mom had never really even met him and had only referred him because one of her friends had said something.

The only good thing coming out of it? She had a new appreciation for the nice guys around her – Xiumin and his brothers, men she dealt with on a nearly daily basis… or had until three months ago, anyway. Still, it was a good way to put things in perspective.

All things considered, she was rather glad everyone seemed to ship her with Xiumin and not creeps like her date. Shuddering at the thought, she entered the shop and locked the door behind her, not bothering with the lights.

She was totally wiped out and all she wanted to do was crash on a bed and just sleep. Her feet were aching in the her high heels and the dress was definitely uncomfortable, very tight and not at all like her preferred, comfy style but she could barely keep her eyes open.

So she threw her bag on the couch and headed straight for the washroom, brushing her teeth in the dark and taking off the dress quickly. Slipping on the first thing she could get her hands on - a shirt by the feel of it but she really didn’t care – and then stumbling towards the bed, slipping her heels off along the way and just falling face down on the bed.

She was tempted to just go to sleep like that but the need to breathe made her move; even that movement annoyed her because after four hours of torturous company and bad food, she deserved good rest.

Not to mention she had to get up really early and get her office work done so she could visit Xiumin in the evening. And she still had to talk to Tiffany, maybe apologize for being short with her. She was just being a caring friend after all.

Gosh, she was tired.

Forcing her brain to shut down and stop thinking about all the things she had to do, she turned and closed her eyes.

Within minutes, she was out like a candle.

…………………