Prologue

My Love from another Planet

…the virtue of destruction…

Baekhyun hung up the phone after chatting with Chanyeol.

'Ya! I told you not to hang up!' Chen complained, stretching his arms over his head. They were sitting in the cramped hotel room they'd been staying at for the past fortnight. Kris, as usual, was out on a prowl.

'He didn't want to talk...' Baekhyun stated, walking over to turn on the television.

'Liar – Chanyeol always wants to talk.'

'To you.' Baekhyun completed his sentence and ducked to miss the cushion Chen threw at him. 'What happened?'

The room was too quiet with just the two of them; Baekhyun didn't like silence all that much. So he turned up the volume. Sports news were playing.

'Hey, what happened?' Chen threw his balled up shirt at him. It was so hot, they were both shirtless. The air conditioner rumbled uselessly in the background and the fan swung lazily overhead. It was depressing. 

Since they were separated – Chen and Baekhyun were in Jaz, Killer's territory and a place Kris knew well, while Chanyeol and D.O were prowling somewhere around Heifercourt and its surroundings with Suho – it was imperative that they chat at least once a day. Given that nothing had come out of their vigilance so far, they were bored.

Talking to their friends was the only relief they had. Calling each other was the first thing they did when getting off from their shifts. Baekhyun, in particular, was impatient and wanted to get off early so he could talk.

Kris, however, wasn't someone who could be easily swayed – he always insisted Baekhyun complete his shift.

'You heard Chanyeol – they don't have any news either.'

'Deets, Baek, I need deets.' Chen sat up straighter. 'You were chattering for over an hour – and you didn't even put it on loudspeaker – you know how painful it is? Hmm?'

'That's why I did it.' Baekhyun grinned teasingly. 'When's Kris coming back?'

'Around twelve. We'll be next.'

'Cool. Tell him to call Suho when he gets back.' Baekhyun stretched on the bed, yawning. 'I'll take a nap.'

'Don't sleep!' Chen yelled but Baekhyun kept his eyes closed. Chen sighed, boredom laying heavy on his shoulders. He wished he was back at the HQs – or anywhere else, really. After a fortnight, this cramped room was beginning to get on his nerves.

He stood up, walking around, wondering how to pass time. Since they were in Jaz, a different country, he decided he'd go and explore the area. All they'd done since coming here was prowl around the streets. In the dead of the night. In empty corners and abandoned places, not areas known for wilder nightlife. Boring, so boring.

They'd found no signs of Evil or Killer – however, Kris and Suho were convinced that they would be around here.

So far, there were no signs of them.

So Chen figured it was safe to go around on his own. Ignoring the tiny voice in his head that told him to be cautious, Chen wandered outside.

……………………….

Baekhyun woke to the sound of the door being closed. Kris had returned. ''Sup?' Baekhyun half yawned, half spoke.

Kris only nodded, taking off his jacket and throwing it on the sofa before striding to the washroom. He went inside, and then stepped back out. 'Where's Chen?'

'Huh?' Baekhyun blinked sleepily.

'Chen, where is he?'

'Ah… he was watching TV when I slept…' Baekhyun mumbled. 'Maybe he went to get refreshments or something.'

'Go check.' Kris ordered curtly. Baekhyun made a face behind his back and imitated him, 'Go check. Schmeck.' He pouted, putting his chin in his hands. 'Chen, where did you run off to? I don't need a scolding from Kris the moment I wake up.'

Kris was a good guy, yes, and he put up with their pranks admirably but he was also a scary leader who tolerated no slacking when they were on duty. Unlike Suho, who'd deal with their antics gently, Kris chewed them out so thoroughly, it was a wonder they were left standing when he was done.

Scary.

Sighing, he got up and shuffled downstairs, to see if Chen had come by.

Apparently, he had gone out to explore the city, the receptionist explained. 'I recommended the Cherry Market because it's an excellent tourist spot – very reasonable prices.' He nodded.

'Okay, thanks.' Baekhyun mentally uttered all the curse words he could think of for Chen. Kris would tear him apart... He stepped inside forcing a smile on his face. 'Ah leader…' he began but Kris forestalled him. 'He's gone?'

Baekhyun dropped the smile. 'Yes – to explore the city. The receptionist recommended Cherry Market because it is reasonably priced.'

Kris stared at him.

'Well, get ready. We'll go to the Cherry Market.' Kris announced, putting his jacket back on.

'Oh no no no!' Baekhyun suddenly realized how exhausted Kris looked. Kris made sure he and Chen were well rested but he'd yet to take a break himself. Baekhyun suddenly felt guilty for criticizing Kris – even mentally. 'You rest up – besides, Suho wants to talk to you. I'll go.'

Kris didn't listen, just picked up his cell phone. 'I'll call on the way. Get ready.'

'Okay.' Baekhyun hurried to the washroom, splashing water on his face and throwing on the first shirt that came in his hands. It was Kris's, several times too big for him but he just folded up the arms and stepped outside. 'I'm ready.'

'Let's go.'

……………………

Chen was having fun – this Cherry Market was interesting, obviously designed to gather tourists. There were cultural shops, food stuff, clothes and who knew what else. Chen window shopped for a while, stopping here and there to try the food.

Should've brought Baekhyun and Kris along, he thought, eating yet another sweetmeat from the street hawker. Baekhyun'll love it – and Kris can use the downtime…

His eyes fell on a rat that was scurrying away from underneath the numerous carts set around the market. Funny, didn't think there'd be rats around here…

Cherry market was a pretty clean place, but what could he say? Rats lived everywhere.

He walked around a bit but looked up at the sounds of birds cawing and flapping; ravens… maybe crows, circling around a place.

He thought of ignoring it. But the Evil had kept a pretty low profile so far – and animals were the first ones to sense if something was wrong…

Chen had learned long ago never to ignore his instincts. And they started screaming as he eyed the birds. Heeding their call, he headed towards where the place where the birds were circling. It was away from the hub of the market, deeper into the city, in the midst of small, twisted lanes surrounded by old-fashioned, derelict houses. Obviously the seedier part of town.

Chen stopped in a lane and looked around.

Rats, quite a large number of them, were scurrying around – all heading in the same direction. This didn't feel good and Chen felt his stomach sink a little. Anything that was attracting this many scavengers – not good at all.

He put a hand in his pocket, intending to call Kris for backup. But his hand came up empty.

He patted around in his pockets but his cell phone wasn't around. Then he recalled it had been in the pocket of the shirt he'd taken off – and thrown at Baekhyun. Dammit.

Well, there was nothing to it, then. He'll just have to check it out himself and trust the others would find him.

He walked, following the trail of rats, into increasingly desolated, abandoned alleys. More and more dead ends came up, the lanes obviously the rear end of the more advanced, modern buildings that faced the city center. Here and there, he saw a few street children – bare feet, dirty hands and hair, eyeing him warily.

The stench of decay became thicker, more pungent as he delved deeper into these dark ends, following the scavengers. The cries of ravens above his head increased manifold and his steps quickened.

He turned another corner and put up a hand to his nose, to block the heavy whiff that choked this alley. It was a dead end – literally – filled as it was with decaying, nearly consumed corpses.

He could see why all the rats were gathering here – it was scavenger feast, wasn’t it? He felt the food he'd eaten rise up at the sight but forced himself to bear it and look around.

The corpses were obviously people no one cared about – the homeless, petty criminals, street cretin – here and there, a few street children. Chen took out a handkerchief and tied it around his face – hopefully this would block the reek of decay – and took a step into the alley.

Carefully stepping around the corpses, bending every now and then to closely inspect them. Oh, Evil was here alright – he'd obviously been busy, stocking up on his energy going by the number of carcasses that littered around.

Chen was frankly surprised that the city police hadn’t found this place already – but looking around, he saw that the area was completely abandoned. Probably no one lived here. Evil, of course, chose his hideouts well.

Well, he'd seen enough. This was what Kris had been looking for, obviously. He needed to report it.

Cursing his stupidity once again, Chen started running, trying to find his way back. As he was turning one corner, he saw another street child, seven, maybe eight, staring at him from behind a dumpster. Struck by sudden inspiration, he stopped. These kids probably saw everyone who came in here – maybe he had an idea.

Taking out the sweetmeats he'd stuffed in his pants – thank God he'd done something right today – he approached the child.

'Hey there…' he spoke gently. 'Can you understand me?'

The child on his dirty brown finger, staring at him with huge eyes.

'You want this?' Chen offered him the sweetmeat. Its smell obviously attracted the child because he stepped out from behind the dumpster. He gave the sweetmeat to the child and tried to ask him questions. The child was either deaf or too hungry to care as he stuffed his mouth. Chen sighed, then got up.

He started walking again, trying to find the exit. Was pleasantly surprised when the child, who'd followed him as he walked, pointed him in the right direction. This went on for some time until Chen reached the exit – he could see shops in the distance, hear the vehicles moving on the street.

'Thanks kid!' He smiled his appreciation and ran across the street.

……………………….

Evil observed the idiot who'd walked straight into his trap. Legends, he snorted, think they are invincible. Well, it'd be his pleasure to destroy that notion.

He followed, flying as a raven now. While the human body was much more intelligent, Evil found animal bodies easier to acquire and dispose. They were also the perfect way to spy on the Legends without exposing himself. 

He watched as the Legend hurried towards the nearest houses, trying the doors and entering the first one that opened.

'Excuse me, I really need to make a phone call!' He heard him tell the resident. Silently, Evil landed on the windowsill, peeking inside the house.

The lady inside, shocked by the Legend's sudden intrusion, let out a piercing scream. He pressed a hand to his ear.

'Sorry lady but this is really urgent – police matters, you know.' He flipped his wallet once, hurriedly closing it. She didn't have time to inspect it or anything. He snatched the phone from the table and dialed a number.

Not such an idiot after all, Evil smiled to himself and abandoned the raven to possess the woman. The raven's body fell, dead and decaying already, the flesh entirely consumed.

…………………………

Chen dialed the only number he could recall: his Shadow, D.O.

'Hello?' Chen relaxed a little when D.O answered.

'It's me, Chen. Call Kris – pronto – and tell him I've found his hideout. Huh? I left my phone… yes I know it's stupid but listen…' Chen spoke quietly into the phone, trying to be secretive. He didn't see the dull red that came over the woman's eyes as she was suddenly possessed.

Chen continued. 'Right at the end of Cherry Market – it's all deserted – hmm? I'm not sure where I am now but there's a sign that says --- Road … oof!'

His mind suddenly shut down as the heavy vase hit the back of his head. He collapsed, the handset hanging off the table. The woman, completely under Evil's control now, dragged Chen to the side and replaced the handset, cutting off the connection.

……………………….

D.O put up a hand to his head, trying to ward off the phantom pain that flashed through his head. Chen, obviously, was in trouble. Chanyeol was by his side as soon as he saw him waver. 'You okay?'

'I'm fine – Chen needs help.' He looked at Suho who was talking to Kris. 'Hey, give me the phone.' He snatched it out of Suho's hands.

'Hey!' Suho glared at him but D.O ignored, talking into the phone. 'Where are you right now?'

'Cherry Market.'

'Go to --- Road and look inside the houses – Chen called me just now and he's in trouble. Also, he said he's found Evil's hideout.'

Kris didn't bother with a reply, just hung up. D.O turned to Suho. 'Tell me the moment they find him.'

Suho nodded.

………………………

Chen woke up, utterly disoriented and in extreme pain. He tried moving his arms and legs but they didn't seem to obey his command. He opened his eyes but there was nothing but darkness around.

'You're awake…' a voice, slithery and downright creepy, spoke right beside his ear.

'Dude!' Chen yelped, surprised and pained even more by the sudden jerk of his body. His limbs were tied. 'Give some warning before you creep up on me.'

The slithery voice snorted – what an oily sound, Chen thought randomly – before slithering nearer. Now that his eyes were adjusting in the dark, he could make out the silhouette that leaned over his face, the dull red of his eyes barely visible. 'You're a Legend.'

'Great job, Sherlock.' He retorted. 'You deserve an award. How about you set me free…' he struggled experimentally with the bonds, trying to use his power. '…and I'll give it to you?' Sure he needed to have certain level of atmospheric electricity to create lightening but what was the harm in trying?  

'Your powers are of no use here, Legend – you're helpless and at my mercy.'

'Aw, if you wanted me that much, you just had to ask.' Chen replied. 'I can play .'

A blow hit his face. His lips burst open, blood seeping down his chin; he it clean. He knew very well who he was facing. Should've listened to Kris…

He'd warned them to stick to the plan, and more importantly, not go anywhere without telling him. Well, what was done was done, wasn’t like he could turn back time. He wasn't Tao.

How much time had passed since he'd lost it? His last clear thought was his call to D.O… then that woman had hit his head and knocked him out. Crazy , what did I ever do to you?  

The silhouette shifted again, as if tilting its head and he focused back on him. Oh yeah, I have bigger problems…  

'You don't wanna talk? Or are you trying to intimidate me?' he asked casually. And felt a sudden, deep pressure on his body. Felt like his chest would burst open.

'You are trying to intimidate!'

He gasped, the pain too much to let him continue. At this rate, his bones would shatter inside his skin.  The pressure lightened when he'd nearly passed out.

'Nice try…' he breathed out shallowly, eyes focusing on the silhouette. Luhan was way stronger. 'Might work on kids.'

The pressure increased once again, and this time, he heard his ribs crack. His eyes slid shut and he bit his lip, drawing blood but when the force lifted, he cracked his eyes open. Yup, he had nothing on Luhan.

'You will tell me where the Tree of Life is.' The Evil stated.

'No, I won't.' He replied sassily. 'I don’t like you.'

 Evil laughed, the sound like snakes crawling up and down one's spine. 'We'll see how long you can keep that up.'

Man, I'm twisted. Anyone whose mind went to the gutter in situations like this was definitely crazy.

'Oh I can keep it up for a long, long time…' Chen slurred, wiggling his brows and smirking ily at Evil. Yup, really twisted.

And apparently, Evil couldn't take a joke because the pressure increased triple times.

You keep calm, he told himself, they'll find you and once you're free, you can kick his stick-in-the-mud-can't-take-no-joke-completely-utterly-evil back to Abyss yourself. Just wait…

That was all he could tell himself as he eyes slid shut because of the pain and eventually, he passed out again.

………………………

A/N

Aaaand we're off to a bad start. I'm really sorry but this was something that had to happen - I dropped a buttload of hints in the previous story - Lay wasn't crying for no reason and... ugh, I'm still sorry - I can't believe I did this to one of my main biases T___T I

Well, I hope you guys enjoy this and anticipate what happens next :3 Do comment and let me know what you think. 

Later