Chapter 5

Pet Shop Love

                Karina already spend her time in attic while searching for something since morning. She doesn’t notice Ryosuke come to her house to meet her. He asks Tomoyuki, “Where is Karina-chan?”

                “She’s at attic since this morning. I don’t know why she’s there.” say Tomoyuki before continue play his game. He remember something and asks, “Eh?! Both of you don’t have shift at pet shop today?”

                “Oh! Kenichi-san and his children go to Osaka today for some business. That’s why I come here because I want to go out to ga-cen with her.” Say Ryosuke. He walks to attic as he already with that house that he always come ever since kids. He reach there to see Karina sit in front of box while reading something.

                Karina turn to see who it is as her ears caught noise someone else there. She asks, “You need something?”

                “You seem busy when I have plan to go ga-cen with you.” Say Ryosuke.

                Karina lift up a bit something in her hands that looks like an old book, “I just want to search for something. I think I have clue about the person that you forget.”

                “And what make you say like that?” Ryosuke wonder why.

                “You remember that I have habit to write what happen in my books but it more like plot of a novel since I really love doing it.” Say Karina. She finish read it before says, “It seem no clue of it… wait a second, where is that book?”

                Ryosuke confuse at that moment until Karina says, “It is a book that I get from Karen-nee when she went to China and it around time when you meet that someone. That book has unique picture of dragon on it.”

                “Don’t you keep it in your room?” Ryosuke make guess as he knows that girl has habit to keep everything that she like in her bedroom.

                Karina shook her head, “I can’t find it there but I remember I keep it here. I always put books in this box when it finish being used as this box could keep the books in good condition.”

                “Just put that aside and let’s go out.” Say Ryosuke.

                “Just go out alone.” Karina really lazy to go out but when Ryosuke come out with idea, “You can help me to brush off girls.” Karina surrender with it and Ryosuke says, “Get ready and just wear something that you comfortable to move around.”

                “I know what I will wear.” Say Karina. Ryosuke join Tomoyuki at living room and play games while waiting for that girl to get ready.

******************

                “Sorry girls, I’m here with my lover. She is waiting for me right now.” Say Ryosuke when a group of girls come to him. He walks to Karina before give her one of ice-cream that he buys for her, “Here! Strawberry ice-cream for you!”

                “Arigatou.” Karina happily accept it since she really want to eat ice-cream at that moment.

                She could hear the girls talk about her, “Eh?! His girl look really normal.”

                “Yeah, it a bit hard to believe that ikemen choose her as her lover.”

                “I’m sure she will get dump soon.” Hearing that make Karina mumble in her mind, “He won’t dump me because I’m his childhood friend and not lover.”

                “Ne, where should we go after this?” ask Ryosuke, ignoring the girls that watching him.

                “Eh?! You still have energy to play?” Karina really surprise with it as they already play at game centre for 3 hours.

                Ryosuke chuckles when listen that girl’s stomach growl that make he says, “It seem ice-cream is not enough for your hunger. Let’s go somewhere to eat.”

                “Hey! Don’t you think you need to find a steady girlfriend for yourself?” Karina ask him while they walk together.

                Ryosuke turn to her, “How about you become my lover?”

                Karina continue her walks while say, “You want to know something… that would be the most absurd thing I have hear in my life.”

                “You always could see it through my lie.” Say Ryosuke.

                “Grow up together make me could guess if it is a truth or not. We already like family that support each other.” Say Karina. Ryosuke giggles with that girl’s accurate reasoning before they get into café.

                Karina’s eyes sparkle when see the café that Ryosuke choose as it is cute café. She asks, “Don’t you feel shy to walk in here as usually girls like things like this?”

                “No, I’m not.” Reply Ryosuke happily.

                “Ah! I forget your obsession over cute things worse than me.” Say Karina, a bit down.

                Ryosuke a bit annoy to hear it and smack Karina’s head while asks, “What do you mean by that, huh?”

*****************

                Rin relaxes herself at the living room while Keito and Kenichi goes to town to stock-up things with granddad. Grandma serve tea and snack before asks, “How’s your day? I heard you involve in accident before this.”

                “It’s not me, ba-chan. Keito-kun who the one involve with it but I can’t stop wondering why that girl never tell us that she’s in danger.” Say Rin.

                “Maybe that girl only don’t want to worry people around her. She just think too much how it will affect other people without think about herself. Maybe she already use to be alone or some kind of trauma she face before.” Say grandma.

                Rin take sip of her tea and almost spit out when grandma says, “But it really surprising when you talk about someone else other than Kenichi or Keito.”

                Rin wipe before says, “It just… that girl is working at papa’s pet shop and what weird of her, she is trauma towards animals.”

                “She just want to improve herself. Just like you, you lose precious memory of precious person that help you a lot.” Say grandma.

                Rin surprise to hear it, “Ba-chan, no one know about that?”

                “I remember you mention that boy has a good childhood friend that really love write something in books. You rarely talk about that matter to anyone as you afraid Kenichi will scold you since he has warn you not to get involve with any suspicious people and you become paranoid over it.” Say grandma.

                When she asks about any pictures, her grandma reply, “You have keep an album of it but when Kenichi notice that album, he burned it. He just worry if people will know that you’re not his real daughter and hurt your feeling.”

                “Why I suddenly want to know more about it?” Rin confuse with herself.

                Grandma remember something, “Oh! I think that boy still has necklace that both of you bought.” Rin look at her necklace that has one part of sand watch and it has another part to complete it.

********************

                During dinner, grandpa asks, “Rin-chan, when you will bring your friend here? I really want to meet your first friend.”

                “I don’t have friend.” Rin surprise when grandpa say that.

                Keito whisper, “Ji-chan think Karina is your friend.”

                “But she’s not.” Reply Rin.

                Kenichi says, “That girl is a shy person. She still working hard at shop and cure her trauma.”

                Grandpa happily says, “I know you may not think her as your friend but you will accept her as your friend soon. She will support you and even help you when you in trouble.”

                Rin couldn’t say anything as what grandpa say has truth in it. She never has anyone that she could say as friend before this as she really afraid people will hate her when know the truth. After they finish dinner, they get ready to go back home as tomorrow is Monday.

                While on the way, Kenichi says, “Oh! This whole week will be off day for Karina since she has practice on other things. So, we will work in the shop with four of us.”

                “It just a luck that I already recover and can work like usual.” says Keito.

                Kenichi curious over something, “Karina-chan attend same school with both of you, right? Why I never hear anything about her from any of you?”

                “We’re in different class and she seem like to avoid everyone there.” says Keito.

******************

                Karina feel really free while riding horse at her usual place. It already her second day to be there. She has to skip school for the whole week since she has to take intense course after miss many sessions. She knows she should go there every two weeks but many things happen that make her forget about it.

                When she keep the horse back to stable, someone says, “Wow, your skill begin improve and even you finally comfortable handling horse. Before this, you always run away.”

                Karina pet the horse while saying, “Recently, I begin work at a pet shop and learn many things there.”

                “That’s good to hear since you almost reach your target.” Say Yuto.

                Then, she notice Keito also there and surprise when he greets, “Yo, Yuto! Here’s lesson note for today’s class… Karina, why you’re here?”

                Yuto says, “She’s my student here. You know her?”

                “She works at our shop.” Say Keito.

                Karina feel like she interference the guys, she try to excuse herself but Keito already caught her hand before says, “You try to run away?”

                “We haven’t finish our lesson yet. You still have to finish report for today.” Say Yuto.

                Three of them get into the building and Karina begin writing her report while the boys chat about random things. She wonders why Keito still there but she quickly focus on the paper. She really tired for the day that make her think of her bed. She write last words on paper before put her head on table.

                Keito check on her before surprise to see that girl already fall asleep with soft snore escape . He says, “That’s fast!”

                “Is she the girl that never escape your sight?” ask Yuto as he pulls the report to keep it in a file. He knows about that story that seem never reveal to anyone yet.

                Keito quickly shut him before says, “We’re not talking about that matter anymore, okay? She really need to gain back her old self.”

*****************

                Ryosuke finish his work for the day before make stop at riverside. He can’t stop thinking about the mysterious person in his mind but unfortunately, nothing come to mind. He want to ask Karina again about it but he know it will only meet dead-end.

                Suddenly, he get phone call from that girl, “Hey! I think I know where it that notebook now.”

                “Where is it?” Ryosuke could see hope in front of his eyes.

                “I keep that book in my locker at place where I practice horse-riding. I can’t found it before because it hide deep in the locker. It happen that I also has a picture in it.” Say Karina.

                Ryosuke roll eyes, “You make it sound like your locker is some kind of deep cave.”

                “So, you want to meet right away or later?” ask Karina. When he ask where is she, she reply, “Oh, I’m on the way back home but may make stop at town to search some stationary as no one at home yet.”

                Ryosuke knows why she says like that; that girl still trauma to be alone even that guy already being caught. She always stay outside where many people around before reach home. He says, “Let’s come to my house as my ka-san would be really happy to meet you.”

                “You’re right, I haven’t met her for ages even we live in same neighbourhood.” Say Karina, try to sound everything’s okay. In her hand, she has picture of Ryosuke and a girl that somehow bring shock to her as her hand slightly shake, like she afraid over something.