Chapter 10

Pet Shop Love

 On the next day, Karina wakes up to see Rin sleep in futon beside her bed. She reach something beside her pillow that seem to be her clock and panic when realize it already late, “Yabai! I will be late for school and get scold by sensei for sure! What should I do?”

 Rin’s sleeps stir up when hear the whine, “Urusai! I’m still sleepy~!”

 Karen walk into the room when hear the noise and says, “You don’t have to go school today as you have to go hospital for some checks to ensure you’re just fine.”

 “You don’t have work today?” ask Karina.

 Karen swiftly flicks her sister’s forehead before says, “I’m here to bring you to hospital today. I’m sure you don’t want ka-san know about this, right?”

 “Of course no.” say Karina in defeat and add, “But I don’t want to go there anymore.”

 Rin says something as she know she can’t return to her sleep, “Just go there to ensure nothing happen to you or Keito will be too worry about you.”

 Karina blushes with that, “What do you mean by that?”

 “Eh?! Do you go out with someone without tell me?” Karen jump out to conclusion based on what she hear plus with her imagination.

 “Nee-chan, please stop guess everything. I should get ready to follow you to hospital.” Say Karina. She wakes up from her bed and walk to bathroom as soon as possible when she knows Karen want to ask more about that.

************************

 While they in middle of eat breakfast, Keito says, “Rin-chan, papa ask us to go straight home after this. He really worry about what happen yesterday as we suddenly left the shop.”

 “I know about that as he left voice-mail to me. I will explain to him about what happen.” Say Rin as she bites her toast.

 Tomoyuki cut-in, “I already explain to your dad about what happen but I didn’t mention about the fight. It just we ‘rescue’ my sister.” He knows everyone want to hide about what happen as his only hope at the moment is they won’t leave Karina alone.

 Tomohiko happily asks Karen, “Ne, can I join you and Karina-chan to hospital today? I already tell my guys that I won’t go to base today because I really worry about my little sister~!”

 “That’s good to know you will staying home today because I want to you to do laundry. You have been avoiding that chores for several weeks. It already enough for Karina-chan to do yours as your turn always happen when I’m on overnight shift.” Say Karen as she check some documents. She’s lucky to get permission to enter work late as she has to make sure her sister’s business finish first.

 “I don’t want to stay home. If like that, I will just go to my base.” Pout Tomohiko.

 “Finish up the chores or I will cut your gang clothes into ribbon!” Karen threat him with sweet voice that make Tomohiko tremble to hear it as it has severe venom in her words.

 Karina just finish up her portion while silently agree with her sister’s words. It always her who need to cover up the chores and sometimes it really tired her out. Tomohiko hugs her by neck that make her almost choke up her miso soup, “I don’t want to let my Karina-chan alone at hospital!”

 Tomoyuki hit him at head, “You’re going to choke her like that, baka!” he pull him away from Karina and make him sit on the chair far from others.

*************

 Keito rushes to hospital after make everything fine with Kenichi as get mail from someone to wait for Karina. That girl’s sister walk towards him and offer canned drink, “It still halfway as I made she has full check after too many things happen.”

 “Why you ask me to wait for her and not Yama-chan?” ask Keito. He knows both Karina and Ryosuke’s family really close and always ask help from each other that make is a usual thing if Ryosuke will come there.

 Karen casually says, “I know how that Chibi already get his own lover who happen to be your sister and I’m sure I don’t want he get in fight because of I ask him to send Karina-chan back home. I don’t find anymore contact from her phone.”

 “She doesn’t have many friends as she always stay low.” Say Keito.

 Karen says, “I know about that. She really close with Tomohiko as she knows Tomohisa won’t touch her when her oldest brother around. During she attend kindergarten, she being bully really harsh until make she never step-out from her room. That time, she met with Chibi who always search for chance to invite her to go out play. Thanks to that, she dare to step out from her room but now, she needs you to bring her see more than what Chibi already show to her.”

 “Don’t you afraid if I didn’t anything that will hurt your sister in future?” Keito ask that as he really curious why Karina’s siblings really friendly when come to their youngest sister’s matter even to someone that they met for first time. He hasn’t meet Karen before because he being treat by other doctor during the incident that involve Tomohisa.

 Karen finishes her drink in one gulp, “Among us, only she seem not affected with our dad’s death. I happen just before her finish grade school and she is the one that give us push from back to move on. She said our dad will hate us if we keep crying of his death. No one could predict that would come from her when she always noisy about her sweets stock.”

 “She always think about others. I could remember how she willing to share umbrella when I forget to bring one but that story happen long time ago.” Say Keito as he remember back that moment.

 Karen happy with her decision, “I know you can help us to look after Karina-chan. Ah, I need to return back to my work and good luck. I wish the best for you.”

 Keito wonder what is mean by those words but can’t ask as Karen already rushes back to her work after a nurse calls for her. He checks the time as he still has shift at the pet shop. He already plan to show to Karina the shop’s new pet as he really eager to cure her phobia.

 After almost half an hour, Karina finish her examination and found Keito already doze off at bench. She carefully wake him up, “Hey, wake up! I’m already done.”

 Keito open his eyes and surprise when Karina’s face only inches from him and in reflex, move aside before could reply, “Sorry for fall asleep.”

 “It’s okay. I know it will be really boring to wait it end.” Karina realize something, “Eh?! You’re waiting for me?”

 “Yeah since it kind of dangerous for you to be alone and your sister has to return back to your work.” say Keito. It already known to them that Karina really scared to be alone after what happen.

 Karina seem really happy to hear that but suddenly, growl sound come from Karina as she’s really hungry after long examination and decide to stop anywhere for lunch before go to shop. She asks if it is okay for her to go there and play with pets when she’s not worker at that shop anymore and Keito says it is okay.

*****************

 Rin notice those two people arrive at the shop and she asks, “What the doctor said about you?”

 “Nothing wrong with me but I have to rest in order to avoid more stress.” Say Karina before apologizes because cause another trouble even after promise nothing bad would happen.

 Kenichi really happy to see her and says, “It’s really good to know you’re just fine. If you willing to continue work here, I can assign you to front table as you need to boost back your confident to communicate with both people and animals.”

 “It is okay for me to continue work? Even after I get into trouble and I’m sure I will only stain your reputation.” Karina really worry about that as she knows her reputation already bad.

 Kenichi says, “Your aim hasn’t fulfil yet, right? I can’t let you go when you haven’t achieve anything from here. For today, you can play with those new babies as some of customers prefer to see how the pets react in front of them before they decide to buy it.”

 Karina just nods and go to staff room to keep her bag. The first pet that caught her eyes is munchkin cat that really small and cute. She lift up one of them and says, “Why you really cute? If only Tomohiko-nii is not scared with you, I will ask them to bring you home but don’t worry because I will make sure someone will bring you home and pour out their love on you.”

 “You’re not scared with cat anymore. That’s a good news.” Say Keito. He just finish groom a Chihuahua and send it back to the owner before greet her who really happy playing kitten.

 “I’m okay with this size but not the big one yet.” say Karina.

 Rin smack Keito’s head really hard that make him fall to the ground and scold, “It’s time for work not flirt around!”

 Karina only chuckles and get scold by Rin, “Sama goes to you!”

 “I’m being pay to play with these cute children.” Say Karina happily as she hugs the kitten in front of her. Rin just return to grooming room while pull Keito by his ear. Karina only chuckles to see how that guy tries to escape from his sister even it only bring nothing.

******************

 After the shop close, Karina slump on bench to rest as she has run around the shop to chase for pets that try to escape. She’s really tired on that day after too many things happen. Kenichi says, “Let’s go eat somewhere before return home.”

 “That’s a good idea.” Say Keito happily.

 Karina and Ryosuke join them because Kenichi invites them. They choose Ryosuke’s father’s restaurant as they really want to eat there. Mr. Yamada notice them and happily welcome them, “Welcome to my restaurant! I always want to say thanks for allow my son to work with you. He never want to help me at this place even I force him.”

 “I want to work with pets.” Say Ryosuke.

 Karina only laugh and Mr. Yamada says, “I also surprise you work there as I know really well how you afraid of animals.”

 “Uncle, I already okay with animals when work there. I also need to get used with it as nii-chan want to have another pet. I should have realize how cute those pets that make my heart goes ‘kyun’ all day.” Say Karina happily.

 Mr. Yamada excuse himself after that and let those people to enjoy their meal. Kenichi tells Ryosuke, “Your dad really amazing as could open this kind of restaurant easily.”

 “He gets the idea because all of us really love yakiniku.” Say Ryosuke.

 “Both of you always go to eat here?” ask Keito.

 Karina decide to give the reply, “Only him while I come here once in a while with my siblings. My brothers are regular here because they really love meat.”

*********************

 After the dinner, Karina excuses herself as she need to make stop at a shop to buy something. She get into a bookstore as she need some reference book on certain subject. She spend quite long there since she really need book that is pack with important notes. She need to catch-up with her studies after many things happen.

 When she leaves the shop, she notice Tomohiko walks alone and it seem he get near her. The first thing come out from his mouth, “You know you shouldn’t be out here at time like this. It really dangerous.”

 “Tomohiko-nii, how you could know that I’m here?” ask Karina as she never think her brother could know where she is since she doesn’t tell her siblings that she’s at that shopping district. She only send short mail that she takes her dinner outside.

 Tomohiko shows his phone and she could see mail from Keito that tells she make stop at a bookstore near to Yamada’s Yakiniku Restaurant. She asks, “How would he knows your contact information?”

 “Of course he know because I really worry about you.” Tomohiko happily reply.

 Karina somehow feel relieve as she think no one at home yet. Karen has overnight shift at hospital and Tomoyuki on trip to somewhere with his friends. She just walk together her brother to go back home without realize there are pair of eyes who watch her movement with concern eyes.