chapter seven.

45 Days of Fame

"Belle, chill." Everyone at our lunch table was finding my nervous state very amusing.

I bounced the leg I had crossed over my other one and darted my eyes around the room, "I can't. They said they were posting the roles today at lunch. They should have done it by now." Liah put her hand on my knee to stop the aggressive bopping I had been doing, to replace the habit I drummed my fingernails on the hard surfaced table, "Oh god what if they hated me and I didn't get a part at all.'

Mark, who was sat across from my seat, rolled his eyes, "You'll get in. Trust me I saw your audition. Hell, I was in your audition. You should stop worrying, Liah isn't."

"Yeah calm down. People who freak out annoy me." Jay cut in rather bluntly, sipping his energy drink. I knew I had always been right about him being a thick headed jerk, he proved it daily.

Brianne shot him a scolding expression, "Babe don't be rude. You should never tell a girl to calm down." A couple of the other guys sat at our table grunted in agreement.

Distracted momentarily, I almost didn't see the drama teacher post something onto one of the many bulletin boards in the cafeteria. I shot up from the bench. Liah and Mark must have noticed the direction I strode in because in a flash they were flanking either side of me. We were the only one interested in the results that had noticed them being tacked to the wall. I scanned for my last name, skimming past the S's until I reached T's. I then went across to see my role.

"I'm Rizzo!" Liah burst out from besides me, her smile making her eyes glint.

"I got Sandy. Oh my god, I got SANDY! The lead! This is too surreal." We both squealed and started jumping up and down, something I considered stupid when I was Kali but I was to ecstatic to care.

Mark looked down at me, smirking, "Looks like I'm the Danny to your Sandy."


The bell rang and kids scattered to not be late. Mark stopped me as I went to go to my locker for my afternoon books, "Hey can you meet me after school? By the tennis courts?" I nodded and he didn't allow me to ask why, merging with the rest of the crowd quickly.

My mind ran over all the possibilities throughout the rest of my classes. Maybe he wanted to meet up to go over line? No, we haven't got the scripts yet. Homework? I doubt it, Mark never seemed to struggle and I was doing well. To ask me out? I laughed silently to myself at that one. Don't be crazy Kali.

Then it hit me like a load of bricks, what if he knows I'm not who I say I am? The thought made my stomach sick. Suddenly I didn't want to meet him. Should I make up an excuse tomorrow and just not show up? I wasn't a good liar though and if it's anything simple then it would look suspicious.

I tapped my math notebook with my pen and came to the conclusion that I had to, I could possibly beg him to keep the secret and tell him the reasoning behind it if it ends that way. I mean, from what I know of him and have experienced the last week or so, is that he's a decent guy. I'm fairly certain he wouldn't chew me out. Ignore me perhaps, but not give me up.

My sixth period math teacher snapped me out of my thoughts by announcing, "Remember to study for your test Wednesday, I'll see you all tomorrow." School ended and I forced myself  not to look at JB, since was also in this class.
 
He seemed to be looking at me though and swiftly caught up with me, "You look a lot like one of my friends who recently moved away."

"Um well, that's weird." I carried on walking, slightly taken aback at his forwardness. 

"Yeah. Like turn your hair darker, put on baggier clothes, take off the makeup and you could be her twin." He regarded me for a second as I sped up my pace, eager to get away from the awkward situation he had put me in, "You even have a similar voice."

I coughed, feeling caught, "We're all meant to have seven look a likes in the world. I guess it's just a strange coincidence." Without saying goodbye, I took a sharp turn left to when my locker was located. I switched my stuff over and slung my backpack over my shoulder.

I had to circle the perimeter of the building to get there, but Mark was waiting right where he said he would, casually leaning on the fence surrounding the courts. I tucked a loose piece of hair behind my ear, "Hi."

"Hey." He stood up straighter.

I rocked on the heels of my feet and prompted him, "So you wanted to speak to me?"

"Oh uh, yeah." He scratched his head, as if being here for a purpose just occurred to him, "So. Uh. I was wondering-"

"Oh hey Belle! What are you doing here!" A girl from the cheer squad squawked as she exited the gym door, she took in who I was standing by and added, "Hi Mark."

Mark nodded at her and waited until she was out of sight again, "Okay so as I was saying, I have to ask you something."

"Yeah..?" I said, urging him to carry on.

"Right, sorry. Do you want to go out sometime?" He looked away from my eyes, "As like a date?"

My heart caught in my throat and I stood there gawking at him for a short moment before I recomposed myself, croaking out, "Me? Um. Sure. I mean, I'd love to. Here." I took a pen out of my bag and wrote my number on the back of his hand. I was still slightly shocked.

He broke out into a grin, "Cool. I'll call you." I flushed slightly and waved, going back to the front of the building.

How many  surprising things are going to happen to me during this experiment?