chapter five.

45 Days of Fame


 
"Guys seriously I need to go!" I called as the boys were currently playing truth or dare from the other side of town.
 
"Why?" JB whined the word.
 
I searched my brain for a reasonable answer, "My dad's pretty strict on dinner. If I'm late down he'll wreak havoc. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow okay?"
They nodded -sadly may I add- and I was about to click the end button when Jackson spoke, "Wait. There's this new girl who's like taken over your life in school. She has your locker and classes and she even looks a little like you." I could tell he scrunched up his face, "But get this. She's a popular." He said the words with venom and the others nodded in agreement.
 
I tried to look annoyed, "Ew. Gross. That . Later!" I ended the call before they could protest. 
 
 The football game started in a half an hour and I still had to get ready and arrive there. It was lucky my school's games were free to all students because I was currently broke due to this makeover.
 
I rubbed my eyes to try and subside the effect my bright, glaring computer screen had then stumbled to my wardrobe. I figured I could dress down but still fit in with the other girls. 

My makeup was done simple and I scooped my hair into a low ponytail. Figuring I might need it for snacks or something, I grabbed my bag which had a few dollars hastily stuck inside. Once I finished, I hopped down the stairs and grabbed my keys.
 
I stepped outside the apartment and went to my car. 
 
I started to drive as I sensed the nerves radiating off of me.
 
I pulled outside the huge building I had called my school for the past four years.
I could see the lights from the front of the school and as I hurried round the side, the sound only intensified. I had only just about made it. Adrenaline shot through me as I got into my acting state, chanting over and over: You can do this. You can do this. You can do this.
 
The guys on the team were having a last minute pep talk as the cheerleaders got into formation and prepared for it to start. The other populars weren't that hard to find either, everyone else had sort of created a barrier around them, leaving a foot of space between the others who had come. I started up the bleachers to them and they quickly noticed me, smiling politely.
 
Liah, a girl I'd met earlier at lunch who was one of the few non-cheerleaders, waved and patted the empty seat next to her, "We knew you'd make it! How did the musical thing go?"
 
 
I thought back to my encounter with the Drama teacher after classes had ended, "It was okay. He welcomed me to Kingsman and told me that the auditions were on this Friday. We're free to sing any song and are going to be able to pick up the dialogue we need for the acting part tomorrow so we can practice." 
Liah grinned, "I just know you're going to get the lead. Brianne told me about how well you sing." She lit up like she has an idea, I could just imagine a light bulb forming above her head like in the cartoons, "Oh! Maybe I should try out. I don't really do much extracurricular stuff and it would look great on a college application."
 
The opposing team ran out onto the field to start the game and I found I didn't mind speaking with Liah, she wasn't too much of an airhead, "Where do you want to go to college?"
 
She thought it over for a second, "I bet quite a load of people are going to UCLA so definitely not there. Maybe FIDM, I always thought about being in product development."
 
I tilted my head, "Yeah I wouldn't want to be stuck in Los Angeles either. I was thinking of going to SDSU. San Diego seems so beautiful!"
 
"They're starting." Liah pointed out as the players took their places. I watched as they sent the ball to the right where I'm pretty sure we were trying to score. Sports have always made my brain hurt, I never knew how they worked.
 
I leaned over and whispered in Liah's ear, "I have no clue what's going on."
 
She giggled, "Me either. Just clap and scream when everyone else does." It seemed like a valid plan so that's what we did, reacting when everyone else does. I shivered as a cold gust of wind hit me and wrapped my arms around myself. You could almost touch the tension that was out on the field, Kingsman and whoever they were playing were tied. There wasn't much time left either so if one was going to win it would have to be soon.
 
I located Mark, number seventeen, sprinting down the field with the ball clutched tightly under his arm. He wasn't even the quarterback -Jay, Brianne's boyfriend who was actually the quarterback, was too occupied half jogging past the cheerleaders and winking at them to notice Mark- and yet was heading for the score breaking touch down. One of the other team's defenders tried to tackle him but Mark swiftly dodged and carried right on running.
 
He reached the edge of the field as the supersized countdown reached three seconds and won the game for the team. All of Kingsman supporters as well as the team burst out into cheers, hugs and applaud. Mark took off his helmet and shook his sweaty hair, a slight tinge of a blush forming from the excitement he caused. He looked in our general direction and I gave him a thumbs up, I knew he had seen when he grinned and put his thumb up too. So this was why people enjoyed coming to games, the energy they gave off.
 
I collected my stuff, told Liah who was conversing with a guy to her left, goodbye and headed down the stairs, eager to get back to heat. Mark, who was going towards the locker rooms, was only a few feet ahead of me in the crowd so I speed walked past a couple people, apologizing when I bumped them on accident, and fell into step beside him, nudging his arm with my elbow. "Nice game. Especially the end."
 
He turned to see who was talking to him and smiled at me, "Thanks. We had to break the tie somehow and Jay for sure wasn't going to do it." We reached the building again, "So when are the auditions?"
 
"This Friday. Are you sure you want to try out? I mean I can't exactly back out now that you're all pushing me into it but you could." I looked up at him, realizing just how tall he was. Probably five foot eight or nine which was huge compared to my five foot two. He literally towered over me.
 
"Nah. I want to do it. Who knows, I might not even get in. It's worth a try though." Mark nodded towards the locker room, "Well I've got to go. See you tomorrow?" I nodded and waved, happily skipping to where I parked.
 
Why am I so excited right now?Could it be that I actually liked talking to Mark? 
Psh no, that could never happen.