chapter eighteen.

45 Days of Fame
As I sat on the floor in front of JB, I tried my best not to look him directing in the eye. "Um no. My name is Isabelle." I glanced up at Mark. He held his hand out and helped me up, "I've heard of her before though. Who is she?" We continued to walk towards the picture booth.
 
"Oh she's just this girl who left like a week before you came. I didn't really know her." Mark shrugged. It hurt how little Mark cared about the actual me.

I looked back to try to find JB. He still sat on the floor with a dazed face staring at us. Our eyes met once again and I quickly mouthed, 'talk to jr'. I guess he understood because he stood up and walked off in the opposite direction we were heading.
 
There was only one other couple in front of us in the line so we didn't have to wait long, "So she really looked like me?"
 
"Yeah I guess so. But like I said, I never really knew her, enough though we've been going to school together since forever. She went through this really weird change freshmen year. One day she was wearing skirts and hanging around with people like Brianne and the next second she transformed into a tom boy. After a while she started hanging out with that kid back there and his friends and the rest is history." We shuffled forward in the line.
 
"Is she pretty?" Mark scrunched up his eyebrows. "I'm just curious."
 
The photographer motioned us forward and told us how to position ourselves, "Yeah. She was. She never seemed like my type though. That's why I'm so happy that you came here, you looked like her but you're exactly the kind of girl I like. You're so easy to get along with, I feel like I can be myself around you. I know I can trust you."
 
The guilty feeling was back and as strong as ever. It felt like someone was punching my gut, "Yep. Well that's me." The camera flashes bothered my eyes, making my smile waver. The cameraman shooed us away and I discovered that the gym was now fully packed. Music was blasting at such a high volume I could barely think. "Want to dance?"
 
Mark nodded and took my hand, moving us through the entire senior class. The song that was playing ended and a familiar song started up. Mark spun me around as I sang along to the song.

The gym cheered when the song finished. The DJ switched to a slow song and Mark pulled me towards him. I laid my head on his chest and hummed along to the song.

"Mind if I cut in?" I lifted my head to see who was talking. 

"Of course Liah." Mark smiled and let me go. Liah pulled me further into the crowd of students.
  
The music turned upbeat again and I nearly laughed to find that they were playing the Macarena, we all started doing the dance. I laughed at how Liah and I were focused on the moves: Hand, hand, hand, hand, shoulder, shoulder, head, head, hip, hip, , , jump, repeat. There was a circle forming around us, kind of like a dance battle thing.
 

Eventually the music faded and so did the cluster of people. Instead of another song, the microphone was tapped. "Excuse me. Students?" Mark appeared besides me and silence spread over the gym. "It's almost time for the prom court to be announced." The crowd cheered. "The nominees for  prom king are: Jay Park, Tyler Jones, Eric Nam and Mark Tuan."

 
All us seniors applauded as the speaker continued, "The nominees for prom queen are: Brianne Young, Liah Dallas, Elizabeth Edelma and Isabelle Yu. Please make sure you cast your final votes in the next two minutes before we count and determine who is this years prom king and queen. That is all, enjoy your night." 
 
"Oh hi girls. I'm just here to wish you luck." I always seem to hear Brianne's stuck up, high pitched voice before I see her. "You know because it's obvious I'm going to win and you'll need all the luck you can get until these two minutes are over."
 
I raised an eyebrow, "We'll see Brianne. Girls with ugly nose jobs never win prom queen these days." Her hand flew up to her nose. Only us girls knew about it because we were there. She sent me a death glare before stomping off. A couple of my classmates who were around me gave me a high five. 

"That was pretty awesome Belle." Mark pulled me into a hug. "Now that the wicked witch is gone would you lovely ladies care to dance?"
 
Liah, Mark and I all began dancing. Me and Liah sang along to the song that was playing. I guess this is what having a best friend who is a girl was like. It was actually really fun, guys don't exactly fan girl over their favorite boy bands or hot guys or anything. 
 
"Hello." The speaker returned to the podium. "The votes have been counted. Can I have all of the prom court up on stage please?" I grabbed Mark's hand  and we went into the stage. I stood in line next to Liah.
 
"Being selected as the prom court is a very important accomplishment-" The vice principal dragged on his speech. I blurred most of it out until he began to say what I really wanted to hear.

"And your prom king is-" Everyone in the room was staring impatiently at the principal. "Mark Tuan." The room was instantly filled with the sound of clapping hands. Mark looked back at me and I gave him a huge smile.
 
Mark waved to the crowd and went up to the podium, "Thank you so much everyone. I hope I meet your expectations as your prom  king. Go Jaguars!" Mark kept this speech short and simple.
 
"Yes, go team!" Our vice principal fist pumped the air awkwardly then coughed and straightened out his tie, "And now we have the 2015 prom queen!" The crowd was on the tips of their toes and no one was even whispering. "Isabelle Yu!" Brianne began to walk towards the podium but abuptly stopped. I walked past her, "excuse me."

I stopped in front of the podium. I took a deep breath and gave one last Isabelle smile to the entire senior class, "Wow, prom queen! What an honor. I can hardly think of what I have done to deserve this!" I let my eyes gaze across all of the familiar faces I have known for years. I found Jr and the guys not far from the center of the room. They put their thumbs up and I knew that Jr had told them what was going on.
 
"But now I have a confession to make..."