chapter seventeen.

45 Days of Fame

 "Gosh, you just look so gorgeous, Kali." My mother smiled as she looked at me. "Thanks mom." We exchanged smiles then she left into her room, returning with a camera in her hands, "I have to take a picture of how beautiful you look." She held the camera to her face, "Smile."

My smile most likely looked fake. Tonight could either go extremely well or terribly bad. 
 
The doorbell rang out, "I'll get it!" My mom called and walked to the front door. Seconds later I 
can see Mark walking into the livingroom next to my mother.

 

"Well aren't you a handsome boy." My mother smiled at him then gave me a sly smile. 

"Mom, stop." I looked down at the floor, trying to hide the sudden embarrassment I was feeling.
 
"Thank you Mrs. Yu. I see where Isabelle gets her looks from." Mark smiled at my mother. He wasn't flirting with my mom was he? 
 
My mother laughed softy then walked back into her room.
 
Mark turned his head towards me and looked me up and down. "You look beautiful." His voice stuttering slightly.

 
"Thank you. You look pretty great as well." Great was an understatement. It's crazy how Mark can look perfect in anything he wears. His suit fit him way too perfectly. 
 
Mark smiled then his eyes slightly widened, "I forgot to give you your corsage."
 
Mark reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small corsage. I smiled at the sight of it and Mark slid it gently on my wrist. 

My mother walked out of her room with her camera in her hands. "I need a picture of you two." She squealed and pulled both of us together to take a photo. We did all the silly, normal prom poses as well as the stupid ones including me getting on Mark's back or him picking me up bridal style.
 
A million snaps later, I had to take the camera away from my mother. "Okay mom we have to go!" I smiled and kissed her on the cheek then we walked out the door.  

 

Once we were out the door, Mark covered my eyes with his hands. He was careful not to ruin my eye makeup, which I was very grateful for. "Your chariot awaits." Mark led us somewhere and dropped his hands to reveal a white limousine

 
"Good evening Mr. Tuan." The driver spotted us and got out to open our door. I slid in first and felt even more shocked at the sight inside the limo.

 

Mark sat next to me and put a hand on the back of his neck, "Sorry if it's a little overboard. My parents insisted." I shook my head, glancing around at the posh interior. I had forgotten that Mark was rich, he never showed it off or brought the subject up. "No, it's fine really. This is really cool. Is it a rental?" I played with the buttons next to me, I had no clue what did anything.

 
"No. My parents use this when they go to events or whatever else they might want to ride in a limo." He reached over and pushed one of the buttons, which made the light change colors.
 
"What do your parents do? I mean if you don't mind me asking." I was honestly curious. 
 
Mark fiddled with the sleeve of his suit, "My dad owns a department store. My mom just makes friends with the wives of other successful people. What do your parents do?"
 
I stared out the tinted windows that made us invisible to the world, "My mom is a realtor and my dad used to be a car sales man." 

"Used to be?" Mark questioned. 

"Yeah. He died two weeks ago." I wiped a stray tear away and smiled widely at him, "But it's okay, I'm trying my best to adjust to it." I cleared my throat. "So what are you doing after we graduate? Straight off to college or what?"
                                                                                                                     
"My parents want me to go straight to Harvard. I think I'm going to take a gap year though and travel around the world. Experience more things, you know?"

 

 "Yeah, I completely agree with you. I don't want to jump into something im not prepared for."

 

"Maybe we can travel the world together." Mark looked at me and put his hand around my waist.

 

We smiled each other and the limo came to a stop. "I guess we're here." Mark looked out the window.  "Ready?"
 
I grabbed his offered hand and stepped out of the car, "Ready as I'll ever be."  

 

We followed the stream of students into the school then through to the gym. Our school was literally so cheap they didn't even rent out a place for us, they decorated the gym just like every year. I've never been to senior prom of course but I know putting a few decorations up isn't going to make it look pretty. 
 
We turned the corner and got stuck in a huge crowd of people waiting to show their tickets and be let into the gym. After a few minutes I could see the two sophomores collecting the tickets and realized I knew one. Jackson's sister. When we got to the front of the line I turned my head and pretended to be incredibly interested in a poster to the side. I didn't look forward until I heard her announce, "Have a great time." She narrowed her eyes at me though, as if trying to place where she knew me from. "Kali! I love your hair. Have an amazing night."
 
"Um thanks Jocelyn, we will." I hurried into the gym. Once we entered, I was in shock. The gym actually looked really nice. Good job ASB.  

"Kali?" Mark looked at me. I quickly came up with an excuse to change the subject. I wasn't ready to tell Mark the truth, not yet.

 

"Um yeah. Me and Jocelyn call each other by our middle names. My middle name is Kali." I gave him a reassuring smile. 


"Oh okay, that's cute." He chuckled softly. "Do you want to do the prom photo now or later?" He was scanning the room, not even thinking anything about my lie.

 

Mark was a trusting person. If I told Jr a lie, he would instantly call me out on it. We can never lie to each other, I guess that's what makes us so close.

 

"Let's do it now." I figure I might as well be able to have a happy picture of this night before it gets ruined. I don't think Mark would want to take a nice prom picture with me after I announce that I'm not really Isabelle.
 
We wiggled through the growing crowd of seniors. With the crazy maze of bodies someone tripped and came crashing down, unfortunately bringing me with them. I moved some hair from my face to get a good look at the person and found I was eye to eye with JB.  My eyes widened frantically, trying to telepathically tell him not to react like he knows me.
 
"Kali?"