삼 (three)

Infatuation

Myungsoo held two coffees in his hands, feeling bold, brave, and ready to face Sunggyu. He approached the park he told Sunggyu to meet him at and tapped the said man's shoulder with the back of his hand, pursing his lips and holding out the coffee to him. Hoping that the older man would gratefully receive it.

Sunggyu flashed a smile, taking the coffee in his hands while bowing his head and mumbling a shy thank you.

“So, where would you like to go today? Name anywhere. Be my guest.”

Sunggyu puffed his cheeks and his lips moved slightly to the side, thinking long and hard about their destination. “Anywhere."

Myungsoo scoffed and rolled his eyes (though not serious, he didn't want to look over-excited), “Thanks for being specific, Sunggyu-ssi.”

“I mean it though! Take me to the best place you know!”

Myungsoo groaned. “This is the best place I know! Japan is great, this entire place is great. Asking me to show you anywhere in Japan is like asking a Korean citizen to show you anywhere in Seoul.” He clicked his tongue while shaking his head.

Sunggyu's bottom lip stuck out and his eyes dropped to the floor. I'm such an embarrassment. “I guess you're right.”

“I-I didn't mean it t-that way I'm sorry...” Myungsoo's heart ached as he saw the sad look on the other's face.

“It's alright.. Let's... go to...”

“I'll take you anywhere. Let's go.” The composer waved a hand at the elder with a slight smile on his face.

 

“Are you excited to go back to Korea? Home air, your bed, people who speak the same language as you, your bed.”

“As much as I miss home. I like it here. There's some people who have made it very enjoyable. How about you? When are you going home?” Sunggyu asked, looking over Myungsoo as they stood in line for one of Japan's most famous amusement parks.

“I am home.” Myungsoo's lips quirked to the side and he sighed.

“You know what I mean.. I mean I know you said you left Korea because you felt depressed there but... why? If you really didn't like it at Korea, you'd forget about your Korean culture completely. But here you are, still Kim Myungsoo, still speaking Korean even more fluently than some Koreans..”

“I love Korea. I sincerely do. It's just.. There's a place in Seoul that I can't even bare to see, which is so hard to stray away from because that's where everything is.. No more depressing stuff. Tell me about you! Everything's been about me, me me. I want to know you. Not myself.”

“But I want to know you, that's the thing. My life is boring. Yours seems much more intriguing.”

Myungsoo shook his head. “I'm sure you have a story as to why you wanted to go into music, why you chose musical theatre of all things when you could totally be an idol with those looks.”

 

“Why is it taking so long to get there?”

“Be patient… we have all the time in the world. You sound like you’re sick of sitting next to me. We’ve only been on here for half an hour.”

“I’m not sick of sitting next to you.. I’m just sick of this stupid bus..”

“Ah, yes. I forgot you weren’t accustomed to public transportation..” Myungsoo wanted his blood to boil at how impatient Sunggyu was and how his inner celebrity was getting the best of him but it was just so hard when the other’s thigh was lightly pressed against his and the other’s hands were brushing against his and they were sitting so close.

“I’m sorry.. I’m just troubling you now I’m sorry I mean we can stop I’ll just have someone else show me around I don’t want to trouble you… I-I guess I just feel.. comfortable around you.”

“I'm sorry for lashing out at you.. I didn't mean to make you think everything was your fault.”

Sunggyu chuckled. “What is our problem? All we do is apologize back and forth, we never get anywhere..”

 

Myungsoo had to resist the urge to kiss Sunggyu right then and there when they got off the bus stop in front of a music shop, a very giant and well known one, and the excited look on Sunggyu's face was so endearing.

“I know it's not really a tourist spot in Japan... but you wanted to know me and I wanted to know you. And what better place to know each other than a music shop?” Myungsoo bit his lip while looking at Sunggyu's twinkling eyes.

“I love it.. Let's go inside!” Sunggyu nearly reached for the composer's hand and nearly intertwined their fingers together, when the fact that they had nothing hit him. Too soon, Sunggyu.

Sunggyu's eyes ogled at the 3 stories decorated in instruments and microphones, sheet music and study books, recording studios and sound proofed rooms. “Wow.. where is there to start?”

“Well...” Myungsoo's eyes darted to the acoustic rooms, promptly walking away from Sunggyu who soon followed after. He sat down on one of the given stools after picking out the crimson red acoustic guitar that hung on the wall.

“You play guitar?” The corners of the singers lips raised as he placed his bottom on another stool.

“For as long as I can remember.” He lightly picked at the strings with a light smile on his face, missing the feeling of strings between his fingers and the callouses on the tips. “I haven't played in a while though..”

“Play something for me?”

Myungsoo thought for a bit before placing his left hand fingers in a chord, his right above the sound hole, plucking and picking at the strings. As he finished, he handed the guitar to Sunggyu, “Do you know how to play?”

Sunggyu shook his head. “My instrument is my voice... and piano. I've always wanted to learn but it seemed so difficult.”

“It's a little intimidating at first. She's a beautiful instrument. It would be even better if she were being played by the beautiful man holding her.” . Shut up Kim Myungsoo. , , .

A pink tint engulfed Sunggyu's cheeks and a rush of warmth coursed through his body. Myungsoo regretted making the atmosphere awkward, and changed the subject instead.

“When I first moved to Japan I worked at coffee shops and restaurants, I played for them and I was their entertainment. I didn't get much of a good pay but it didn't matter, because I loved letting people hear my music.. And then for a while I came and worked here. At first just an assistant with instruments, and my boss heard me playing one day and he asked me if I wanted to teach.”

“I suffered a lot. I hardly knew Japanese, I was still in school studying music and the way they teach music here was a lot more difficult than in Korea. I was juggling teaching, part time jobs, school. It was hard. But I always found a way through guitar. I've been in love with the resonance and its highs and lows and louds and quiets..”

Myungsoo looked up and met eyes with Sunggyu, whose eyes were gleaming with interest and admiration. “And now I'm here. A composer, a professor, and a tour guide.”

The older chuckled at the last statement and nodded. “Music is amazing, isn't it? It's the bandage to an open wound.. Is that why you came here and worked on music rather than like, modeling or something else? You still haven't told me.”

Myungsoo nodded. “He was my best friend.” Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “He made me love music. He taught me how to play guitar and he showed me the basics of composing.”

“Why past tense?”

“He passed away 3 years ago. That's when I came here. At first I only did music for him. But I ended up doing music for myself.. Without him, I wouldn't have met you...”

Sunggyu noticed the bitter smile on his face. “He must've been an amazing guy.”

“He was. He was the most selfless guy I've ever met. And you? Why did you do music?”

Sunggyu shrugged. “There's nothing I love more than music. I always dreamt of traveling the world as a musician or a singer... And I know being a cast member of a musical won't get me very far around the world. But it brought me here?”

Myungsoo smiled. “Is that a good thing?”

“Yeah.. It's great.. I got to experience what it was like to stand on a musical theatre stage, all professional and stuff. And I've met great people.”

 

Myungsoo's fingers intertwined with Sunggyu's, his delicate, long fingers pressed against the strings with the composers fingers linked between his to show him the chords.

Sunggyu cleared his throat when he noticed how close they were and Myungsoo flinched, backing away, his face feeling hot.

“S-sorry.. personal space.. ha..”

“I-I wasn't bothered by it.”

 

There was silence in the air as they continued around the store, and they left prominently at 2pm, so they could get to Tokyo Tower in time for when it's not too crowded. They sat in the bus, bodies just barely touching. They walked in a pregnant silence, hands brushing.

“Ah, why is it so cold in the spring?” Sunggyu rubbed his hands together for friction while blowing on his cold fingers, to calm the spark he felt while their hands brushed.

Myungsoo chuckled. “I guess I should've told you to wear a coat. Here, give me your hands, I know a good way to warm them.” His heart pounded at the not-so-subtle move he was about to make. Sunggyu's hands were placed in front of him, and he took the hand closest to him, laced his fingers between the elders, and stuck it in his coat pocket.

Sunggyu jumped but he loved the feeling of Myungsoo's calloused fingers rubbing his skin lightly. He suppressed a smile and squeezed Myungsoo's hand with an approving nod.

“Ready to face too many people? It's always crowded, but around 4ish the crowded goes down.”

“I think, as long as we stay like this, I'll be alright.” Sunggyu bit his lip and nudged the younger man's shoulder.

They were getting somewhere. And Myungsoo loved it.


hello! i sincerely apologize for not having updated in two weeks. i didn't have the chapter done and i would've rather you waited instead of givien you a totally half-assed lame chapter. things might be going a little fast but i guess thats what happens with love at first sight? anyway, hope you've enjoyed this, happy valentines day!