Chapter 7

Protected

Chanyeol's voice was almost a welcoming interruption. His arms were crossed but what shocked them the most was the fact that the rest of B.A.P. stood right behind him, looking pretty astounded. Zelo bit his lip, hoping his urge to burst into laughter, would disappear. None of them have seen their boss like this. Never. Bang Yongguk was a cold man with more cold feelings.

Sumin stiffened completely, and Yongguk didn't want to think about how exposed she might felt. However, Yongguk was relieved on her behalf by knowing, that they only could see their backs. But god damn, she looked so humiliated and exposed and it was written all over. Yongguk felt like  a complete idiot in regard to his mission of protecting her. Completely failed. He did the only thing right by letting her slide into the water and cover her up while she fixed her clothes. He turned around, facing Chanyeol and his employees, B.A.P.

"How was it?" Yongguk asked, in order of changing subject and avoid awkwardness.

"It was great! You should try …. if you have the courage of course" Yongguk's plan seemed to have succeeded a bit, considered Chanyeol's answer, but one thing was for sure and that was the future teasing from B.A.P. They were too smart for Yongguk's evasions.

Yongguk tried to ignore his anger caused by Chanyeol's sarcastic tone. There were more important things in this world, than his pride.

Especially the fact, that they all had appeared without him noticing. Again.

What he had done was more than just stupid. He hadn't built a his own business empire by committing such mistakes. Or mistakes in general.

He couldn't afford them. Once again Yongguk had proved that he was as much as businessman as his father, without the man's weakness with regard to women. His mother wasn't the only woman, who got higher yields than most equity holders within his fathers company. His father had always told, you could afford mistakes with regard to female company. But Yongguk didn't know how his pride could take it time after time. Yongguk knew that.

 The two times he'd almost done the same, was enough for him. And since he had kept his path clean.

No change like that should happen now. Not for Sumin. Not for anyone.

Yongguk desperately needed to do something about his damn lust. And that needed to be quick.

_________________________________________________________________________

Sumin played with the food in front of her while trying to avoid looking at Yongguk. How could it even be possible to sit and small talk with the others, after what happened this afternoon? Everyone saw them. Sumin sighed when she saw Yongguk and his friends leaving.

Yongguk was literally dragged out of the cabin by Himchan with the rest of B.A.P. following. As soon as they got out of the cabin, Himchan couldn't control his anger.

"WHAT THE F* WERE YOU THINKING?" He gritted his teeth and looked at him with flashing eyes. Yongguk was speechless and looked at his employees, standing with their arms crossed. He gulped.
"YA! We want answers, Yongguk?? We aren't here to be sure that your little lover girl and you have a great time on your vacation, while we're working our asses off by doing pointless things!" Daehyun poked his chest, hoping it at least would make him answer. Instead Yongguk looked down, without saying anything. He became a man with few words, which was a rare sight. Jongup snorted and walked away. The rest shook their head, by his missing answer, as they followed Jongup.

"FOR GOD SAKE STOP! … Stop.." His voice became softer.

"I know I've done something completely  stupid I know.. Please I'll make it up to you. This won't affect the job or the payment. Everything's under control. Trust me" He looked at all his hyungs, who all looked disappointed.

"It better be! If your girlfriend's father refuses to pay us due to your  sweet escapades, then I really don't know, Yongguk.."

Yongguk sighed deeply, avoiding any eye contact.

"Trust me, hyung. The job will be carried out as planned. Nothing's gonna change that. Not a girl."

"So you don't like noona?? If you don't, can I have her then? I really like her, she's cute" .

Zelo chuckled which only made Yongguk furious. Can I have her? Of course not. She was his. Or.. His job. Not Zelo's. Before Yongguk could react, Youngjae slapped Zelo's head.

"YAA! What was that for??!!"

"Hajima, this is not a dating trip. Remember right??" Youngjae waited for an answer but Zelo just nodded.

"Hyung.. Ehm.." Himchan focused on Yongguk who listened carefully.

"By the way, we'll leave this night. The ambassador called and he wanted us to protect his son.. In Korea. We'll go there. It seems like you’ve got everything under control here. The coast is clear and obviously you've got everything where you want it to be.. If you know what I mean. "

Himchan smirked at Yongguk. It made the others laugh.

"But please make sure to use protection!" Daehyun patted his shoulder and burst into laughter. Yongguk was sure that he was blushing. Not just a little, but hard. Never in his life had he felt so exposed.

"One thing though.. Don't screw her up Yongguk. She likes you. Very much. Don't make the pain even worse, okay? Just think about what you do"

Himchan smiled sincerely and the others nodded. Yongguk sighed but didn't say anything.

"I guess I'll go back in, again. When you're done packing and stuff then let me know. I want to say bye properly"

Yongguk turned around and headed towards the cabin.

 

___________________________________∞______________________________________

 

Sumin noticed Yongguk leaving and she felt kind of sad that he wasn't sitting near her. When he returned, she couldn't hide her big wide smile.

It just felt right when they were close. Despite their incident earlier, it was completely impossible to read that from Yongguk. And that was a good thing right? She would probably have been running away if he had behaved possessive and loving. She wasn't used to emotional intimacy and not to mention physical closeness.

 

Truth was, that her reaction towards his caress was about to scare her to death. Just being in the same room as him, made it difficult for her to breath and have a decent conversation. Obviously he didn't have the same problems as Sumin. What did it mean?

Suddenly, their eyes met and that look he gave her, made her cringe. Okay, maybe he was better at hiding his feelings, which explained his self-discipline a lot. That was one more thing she loved about him. Uhhm, admired. She meant admired, right? She didn't love him. Not yet. Maybe she was in love with him, but not hopelessly right? Oh god,  or was she? Love was an intimidating feeling. People could hurt you, when you loved them. Wasn't that something she'd learn from her own family?

Echoes of that pain, she had felt when she acknowledged the fact that her parents wouldn't take her home to Korea, still lurked in her heart. She had idolized her father the CEO, Baek Chang Ju. One of the wealthiest men in Korea. So handsome, and powerful, so adored by everyone in Korea. Sumin had always adored her beautiful and restrained mother. As six-year old Sumin didn't know that her feelings wasn't genuine. When she came to America, she missed them so much. She would cry herself to sleep every night, but never in front of people. She was taught from a young age, that she had to control her feelings. Sumin was devastated for every day she had to stay at her uncle's house, until one day she finally accepted that the family she loved so much, didn't love her back. Since, she had not been able to open her heart to others. Not even for her aunt who treated her like a present she wasn't expecting ,and for her uncle who treated her better than her father ever did. Sumin was so loving towards them, but not as much as an innocent six-year old's love towards her parents.

In order of protection, she had never allowed herself to feel like that ever again.  Not until now.

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

Sumin leaved the table with a half-full plate.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" Chanyeol looked worried.

"I'm.. uhm.. not hungry. I think I'll take a walk."

Yongguk didn't hesitate a single bit and was about to stand up too.

"I'll walk with you!"

"NO!" She breathed heavily. "I mean, eat up. I don't want company right now." She forced herself to smile which made Yongguk frown.

"It's not safe, walking in the woods by yourself". Suddenly, Amber got up from the table.

"I'm done eating. I'll walk with you!"

"Okay" Sumin said too fast. She needed some female company for once. And judging from the determined glint in his eyes, she would never be allowed to leave alone anyway. The experience, had gradually learned her which battles that were worth fighting and which battles you should stay away from.

This situation demanded partial surrender. She just wanted to get away, away from him. Right now. Even though Sumin preferred to be by herself, the presence of Amber was okay. Yongguk nodded in agreement, as if it was necessary. Maybe he wasn't that different from the men in her family. She felt guilty by the thought and pushed it away. Yongguk didn't treat her like a stupid doll.

"Are you and Yongguk a couple or..?" Amber asked bluntly, when they leaved the cabin and headed for the woods.

"Uhm, something like that, I guess.."

"You don't seem to be sure?"

"I'm not. I am.. inexperienced in everything related to guys and relationships, I think"

"Are you serious?" Amber looked surprised. "Because you could be a model or something like that with your appearance!"

"And that's something you say!!" Amber sniffled.

"Yeah, many of the guys in the military thought of me as a stupid blond, but they soon regretted that.”

"I know what you mean" Apart from that with regret, even though Sumin was sure of that her father would get an abruptly awakening one day.

"Yeah, I believe that" Amber looked upon the starry sky. "It's lovely out here"

"Yes, it is." They both sighed. Amber headed towards the lake, but Sumin suggested them taking another road. Amber looked at her appraisingly in the moonlight, but chose a path, leading away from the lake.

"Does he treat you like this?"

"As if I no brain have?"

"Yes".

"No, actually he is one of the few men in my life, who really listens to me and my opinions." Sumin looked at the sky.

"He sounds like a nice guy" Amber sounded sincere.

"He is.." Sumin sighed of her admission.

"But you don't know where you have him?"

"As I said, I don't have much experience in this respect.." Sumin looked down the path they were walking.

"Do you wanna talk about it?"

Sumin considered how awkward it was to have this conversation, with a harsh ex-soldier, but she shrugged her shoulders. She would accept the friendly ear, that offered itself.

"Love frightens me" Sumin said and that statement surprised herself.

"In my opinion you would be completely stupid if it didn't. People you love can hurt you. Even if it isn't their intentions to do so."

Amber sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Sumin sighed in agreement.

"But the thing is.. Love can also bring  you joy in your life more than other or other things can" That wasn't something Sumin was used to. Even her brother was a source of both pain and joy. Sometimes she missed him unbearable much.

"Really?"

"Yeah." Her tone of voice, once again said she had sufficient experience to say what she did.

"What if he doesn't love me?"

"Yongguk?"

"Who else?" Amber chuckled.

"You are right. It's a risk to fall in love but a risk you can't avoid. Even though you want to"

"You don't think it's possible to control our feelings?" Sumin was curious. Her mother would disagree. Wildly disagree to be honest.

"Not when it comes to love. If you fall in love, your only chance to not put emotions on stake, is to stop seeing him. And that doesn't work all the time."

"I don't want to stop seeing him" Sumin said determined.

"Then I think you've done it.." Sumin laughed surprisingly.

"Not yet"

"Ohhh? He doesn't push you too fast? That's a good sign!" Amber said, and proved exactly what Sumin thought. Both of them burst into laughter.

"I can’t believe, I just said that.."She gasped.

"I do!" Amber became serious."You really are nervous about your feelings towards him, aren’t you?"

"Rather terrified.." Sumin thought about it. Yes, terrified was the right word. She was definitely terrified by her feelings.

All because of one single man.