Chapter 13

Protected

They arrived at a small town late at night. Yongguk led Sumin towards a luxury villa outside town which the agency had taken care of.

 

(A/N): Imagine this is the villa.

 

However, Yongguk had not yet informed the CEO about his discovery of his daughter. Bang was superstitious concerning his company, B.A.P Investigations, after a year ago because of wrong and bug report which had been submitted and that’s why he never submitted any report before he was completely sure of his facts. One of his agents had made the mistake, but that didn’t matter. It was HIS company and his sense of responsibility. He couldn’t change that.

Yongguk used the password, his assistant had texted him to open the door to the sumptuous residence. He let Sumin enter and went back to his car to retrieve the luggage. He doubted if she would run away into the woods in the dark. That was one of the main reasons for demanding his location. Hoping it wouldn’t make Sumin runaway.

 

Sumin was about to pour a glass of water in the kitchen when Yongguk returned.

“I’ve connected the house alarm, so don’t open any windows or doors.” She made sky-facing eyes.

“Are you serious? Do you really think it’s necessary?” She crossed her arms determined.

“Oh, yes I do and caution pays off.” Yongguk chuckled.

“No one will accuse you of being sloppy.” Sumin continued pouring water.

“So…” He hummed. Sumin turned around, facing him and took a sip.

“Yes?”.

“So, no arguments against me taking you back to your family? No appeals in relation to my democratic attitude concerning human rights and freedom?” A brief burst of anger flared in her doe brown eyes but she only shrugged her shoulders.

“To what use? I know everything about how you respected my personal rights eight years ago. You showed me that you would do anything for your job. I expect you to do the same this time.” Even though he understood her cynical perception of him, it hurt. It shouldn’t. Her opinion of him should not play any role, but just like eight years ago she had already become more than a simple task.

“It’s not me who fails anyone here princess..” She wrinkled her forehead.

“Me neither.”

“What about that safety company which lost their contract with your father and the guard who lost his job...  don’t you think it’s a failure?” God damnit, what was wrong with him? Maybe, Sumin didn’t  do what her parents expected her to but that didn’t make her a criminal.

“Firstly, it’s not my responsibility that the company lost contract. Secondly, I made sure that the guard was compensated for the loss of his job.” She said before continuing.

“And if you check, you’ll find out that he’s already feeling better.” Sumin nodded to herself by the thought.

“What do you mean, he has been compensated? You paid, just to look the other way?” Her body stiffened in anger.

“No! I would never dream of compromising another person’s integrity. I took care of the payment.”

“Like you probably took care of another job offer?”

“Exactly..”

“Do you want me to believe that he didn’t have a problem finding a better job after he lost you?” Yongguk was getting fired up and curious too.

“It depends on how you define better. I found out that he didn’t like being a bodyguard, but he didn’t think he had any job skills after he left military. I encouraged him to take some classes, when he wasn’t looking after me.  When our paths parted, he was educated enough to get a job he wanted. Of course with a good recommendation.”

“That you gave him?” Sumin nodded calmly.

“Wow..” Sumin’s expression revealed that she thought Yongguk was just being sarcastic but he wasn’t. He was deeply impressed. Not only, she had come to know her own bodyguard but she also had a back-up plan when she ran away.

“For how long did you plan the escape?” Yongguk couldn’t help, but ask.

“Believe it or not, it wasn’t a plan. The timing was just perfect. I would in any case have urged him to seek another job.”

“So you’re still a social activist?”

“Why are you asking when you probably already know the answer…?” She was annoyed and she was almost sure of that her face didn’t hide that fact.

“You could do as good a job as the CEO’s daughter, maybe even better.” He wished to believe. Sumin without her key issues wouldn’t be his princess.

“Should getting my stole life make me more comfortable?”

“Aish, no one’s going to steal your life.” He snorted.

“Not that? So… My father would be fine with me leaving this place? You wouldn’t persecute me?” Unreasonable anger mixed with guilt rushed through him, but his voice remained strong and calm.

“You know that’s not true.” Sumin just looked at him. He added.

“Your father would be worried about your safety. It wasn’t the best move, escaping from your bodyguards, Sumin.” Damnit, the truth? Although, he first acknowledged it now, he was also worried about her and therefore he had chosen to look after her himself. Innocently, she folded her arms under her s, so they lifted up slightly. That little detail didn’t go unnoticed by Yongguk’s eyes.  

“The only concern my dad has is about my ability to promote his political agenda. And  the escaping attempts from my bodyguard, so we had this discussion before. If no one knows who I am, then there’s no need to worry.” Sumin tilted her head.

“If you believe so... then I have thousands of police report, you must read about women who became victims.” Yongguk wouldn’t let go of his opinion.

“Oh, come on! All those women live in the same world as your reports, and 99,9 percent of them have no bodyguard!”

“You are not “those women”.”

“What makes me different then?” She asked curiously.

“Your dad. You grew up in privileged surroundings.” He looked as if he could list a whole lot more but Sumin’s expression stopped him from doing so.

“And I’ve lived a normal life for the past five years. I’ve no greater risk than all the other women out there.”

“Wrong.” He made a buzz-sound before he added. “Not true.” It wasn’t looking good for her future to discover that she wouldn’t realize who she was.

“We’ll never agree, and this discussion is a waste of time. Where do I sleep?” According to his assistant, there were two bedrooms. an office and a fitness center upstairs.

“One of the rooms upstairs.”

“Will you let me choose my own room?” She asked mockingly. Dammit, he was just doing his job.

“Yeah, go pick the room you want.” He said lipped.  He followed her upstairs and grabbed her bag and his own suitcase. Sumin went directly into her room on the left hand without even checking out the other room. Yongguk just followed her and put her bag on the bed.

“Thank you.” Her voice was gentle and so damn enchanting. Yongguk didn’t left when she turned around. No, he just couldn’t. He wanted to inhale her scent and feel her warmth although he wouldn’t touch her.

“You’re welcome. We’ll continue our trip tomorrow afternoon.”

“Got it.” She looked wistfully at him without saying a word. Neither did she move.

“What?” Yongguk asked.

“I’ve always wondered…”

“What?”

“Was it all a part of the act? Yongguk was startled. Shocked. Maybe, he should have expected the question but he didn’t. He wanted to explain, but just like eight years ago he didn’t know how to say it. It was the main reason for him to not insist a conversation between the two of them. He didn’t pretend he didn’t know what she was talking about even if it would have been best.“No.”

She bit her lip, nodded and took a few steps away from him.

“Thank you. I don’t think I want to know what’s what.” It was his turn to nod. Yongguk had few regrets in life and one of them was his lack of control in relation to Sumin. Disgust was the only thing he felt about himself that last night.  He couldn’t believe, he once again had allowed himself to get lost in her physically. Once again his lust had been exposed to her risk and Yongguk  had felt like vomiting. His self-contempt had made him harder towards her than intended when he discovered the truth about his task. Eight years. He had had eight years to find a lot of different scenarios of that evening but none of them had left his princess so hurt and so betrayed.

Sumin had gone to the window and stood, looking at the dark forest outside.  He didn’t know what she could see but doubted if it was the view she was focusimg at. Automatically, Yongguk approached her and put a hand on her shoulder. She trembled and he wanted to take her in his embrace but didn’t.

“I’m sorry, princess..”

“About what?” She asked with a voice blurred by emotions she obviously tried to hide.

“I should never have let it go so far between us. My inattention put your safety at risk.. twice.” She laughed hollowly.

“You’re sorry of not doing your job properly?” She shook her head. “Don’t think about it, in my opinion you did a great job.”

“I’m also sorry that I hurt you. “ There, now he said it. And that should be noted in his record book because he could count all the apologizes he had made in his life with one hand and this one applied for two.

“Is that the reason why you accepted this job? So you could apologize to me?”

“Yeah, sort of.. I’m no longer working in the field.”

“You’re too busy with your many other business interests.”

“It sounds as if you’ve been watching me…?” He sounded surprised.

“You know what they say. It’s important to know your enemies.” Yongguk felt a lump in his stomach.

“I’m not your enemy.”

“Well, you’re not my friend either.” She said loud.

“I was.”

“Yeah, so you could spy on me. That’s not friendship but an overdeveloped sense of responsibility in terms of your job.”

“I cared about you, Sumin.. I respected you.” She uttered a hoarse speechless sound and Yongguk continued.
“I did. I still do. You’ve accomplished a lot in life without any support or help.”

“That’s not true! My aunt and uncle have supported me.”

“I’m happy that there’s some in your family you trust.” Sumin didn’t say anything. Inside, Yongguk sighed. Apologizes weren’t his strength.

“I should have told you the truth about who I was when I realized how difficult it was to keep my fingers away from you. Not to say it was impossible.” Yongguk forced himself to remove the hand from her shoulder and step back. She nodded in response.
“Thank you.” He didn’t know what to say and therefore said nothing.

“Was that all you wanted to say that time you called back then?”

“Yes, and when I tried to talk to you, that night you got to know the truth.”

“You had already said plenty.” She took a deep breath.

“Whether you believe it or not, it was an awful night for both of us.” She shrugged her shoulders.

“If you respected me that much, why didn’t you just accuse me of not taking account of the people who depend on me?” She turned around, looking directly at him. Her features were marked by skepticism and sadness.

“You came to the same charges tonight.” That was true and she had hit the nail on the head.

“I drew too hasty conclusions about your lack of care both then and now. Eight years ago I thought you knew which consequences your actions would lead to, and that you didn’t care at all.”

“But I didn’t know! I’ve never thought about if my desire for freedom could cost others their job.”

“Because you were confident about your abilities of not getting caught.”

“You should be able to understand that confident.” Yongguk was just about to smile. “Yes”.

“You drew the same conclusion back then.”

“And I was wrong.”

“But it doesn’t play any role, right? You still believe that I owe my father my life and my happiness.”

“I thought you said it was useless to discuss with me.” Yongguk sounded resignedly. But hell and dammit she was wrong. Contrary, he thought she didn’t have any choice if she got the best out of the life she was born to.

Sumin looked at him enduringly. “I am. I’m tired Mr. Bang. Do you mind if I go to bed?”

 

 

 

 

(A/N): Wuhu, new update! And yes I've changed my name. :-)

- I hoped you enjoyed this serious conversations between the two of them. (Next chapters will have more action *wink wink*.)

//nielsen-kpop