Chapter 1

Protected

Baek Sumin stood at the end of the bridge and concentrated with her eyes closed. A light breeze caressed her hair and pale skin.

It was a really beautiful day. She let go of the railing, and there was nothing between her and the airspace. Only a leap of fifteen metres down to the river's rushing waters. The adrenalin rushed through her with the thought of the impending. She breathed heavily and the sweat dripped off her forehead. She clenched and relaxed her hands several times while she forced herself to fill the lungs with air more calmly. A loud voiced behind her disturbed the peace she tried to obtain. She opened her eyes and looked back over her shoulder. That was when she saw him. 

 

Bang Yongguk. 

 

The last person she had expected to see  right in this moment. The last man she wanted to see ever again. Before or after death.

God couldn't be so cruel to put her and that lying bastard in the same part of heaven. It was as it was. He was here, and it was only a matter of seconds before he had persuaded the others to allow him going out on the bridge after her. She stared straight forward once again, spread her arms out like wings and let herself fall forward to the sound of Yongguk's scream that echoed between the gorge cliffs. She flew through the air like a predator hunting her prey, while the five-year-old memories with Bang Yongguk wandered through her mind. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________ 

 

 

Sumin was on her way to the university building and ended up running the last mile. She was too late for the meeting, but she couldn't do anything about it now. She had to get rid of her bodyguard first. Again. He was in the process of reading a book about the old Joseon dynasty  in Korea on the ground floor in the library. He had believed, that she participated in a study session on the first floor. If that poor man only knew how many hours he had spent at the library while she was elsewhereIf he knew they both would be in big trouble. He was too easy to fool. Too easy.

He thought that her high grades were proofs of her diligence. She read, but not as much, as he thought. But like her father as other wealthy Korean fathers, he didn't think that she could get high grades without studying and doing hard work. All her current bodyguards had the same conviction 

She was glad that all her bodyguards came from Korea when she had discovered the benefits about their way thinking. She had lived the U.S. many years and she had often been furious with her bodyguards' behaviour. Then she started studying and discovered how easy it was to trick them.

She smiled. Perhaps it wasn't really perfect but it was fun. Indeed.  

Her smile changed into a wry face when she bumped into a rock disguised as a man. He was Asian like many others at this university. 

He was surely just another fellow student. She fell backwards and landed in the grass on her . 

"Uhm, my bad! Are you hurt?"  

Woaa, the rock had a deep voice that gave her some serious goose bumps. She looked up and met more than half a meter muscles before she looked into his eyes. His eyes were dark brown. Brown with a mysterious glow although his concern was evident. Concern about her. 

Not bad. 

smile returned on her face, and she reached her hand out for him 

"Nope, will you give me a hand?" His plump lips twitched into a smirk.  

"Of course!" He bent down and grabbed her hand.  

It may have triggered a shooting star. Because when she bumped into his hard body, her senses behaved like a supernova. Her dazed brain registered, that his lips were still shaped into a light smirk. She wondered how he looked when he smiled the biggest. It was guaranteed enchanting and y. She probably wouldn't survive such thing. 

"Are you sure you're OK?" He asked, looking sincerely worried. Damn, she was enjoying it as hell. 

"Completely fine!" 

"Can you even stand on your feet?"  

"Yup." She wondered if she looked like someone who needed help. 

"If that's the case, do you want me to let go of you then? It's not that I have anything against the intimate contact between us"

His voice was warm. 

"I think... uhmm.. I have to go.!" But she didn't move an inch. 

He chuckled by her cute behaviour. 

"My name is Bang Yongguk!"  

Oops. His laughter made her quiver and his gummy smile enchanted her. OK, she had survived his smile, but she wasn't so sure about her mental state at the moment. The man destroyed her rational thinking. 

"And you are?"  

"Ohh, my name is Baek Sumin!"  

"Ahh, so you're are Korean?? I'm too. It's a pleasure to meet you, Sumin-ah." He said in Korean as he let go of her. She had to fight the urge to lean towards him again. Was that the way it felt when you were attracted by a man? Sumin's mind was soon to explode. She had never experienced something like this before. Not like this. She had not been interested in many men before and the ones she met through school didn't have the same effect on her as Bang Yongguk had. The lust was too big as she her lips. Yongguk's brown eyes were well-informed as if he could see the unfamiliar desire flowing through her body.  

A school clock made a noise which startled Sumin. 

"Oh god!! I'm late! I hope that I haven't miss the opportunity to sign up for the waterskiing- trip." She still didn't know, how she could get away from her bodyguards and her family for a whole week, but she didn't want to miss this trip. 

"Do you do that kind of sports?" Yongguk looked surprised. 

"Yeah, it's fun. It's not something I'm doing often but I enjoy a little danger." She started walking towards the building. He accompanied her.  

"When did you start doing such sports?" 

"In high school. The interest started there." There were indeed benefits of being the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in Korea.

But in the start when she was sent away from home, she had felt lonely and abandoned. But as she got older she acknowledged her parents lack of interest in her daily life. They were very conservative, and that attitude effected their American relatives who they had placed her at an age of 11. Nevertheless she had tasted a bit of real freedom, as she went to boarding school. It was far from what she knew, but she tried things she never would be allowed to back home.  Like waterskiing for instance.

"I understand. I thought the trip would last for three days." 

"It does. Are you going?" She asked and she couldn't hide the hope in her stare, when she looked directly into the eyes of the dark-haired tall man standing in front of her. The adrenalin-kick was the same as when she participated in competitions. God, it was so different from liking a guy.

It was scary but just as exciting as waterskiing in stormy weather. Maybe even more.