Chapter 5

Protected

Yongguk and three others who had registered for the trip unpacked inside their respective rooms. Bang made sure that he got a room in the same cabin as Sumin, but unfortunately Chanyeol did the same. They actually had to sleep together in one room. Yongguk didn't mind. He vouched for efficiency.

It would give him an opportunity of keeping an eye on Sumin and her worshipper, ChanyeolSumin on the other hand shared her room with a girl called Amber. As they reconnoitred by the lake (it meant that Yongguk reconnoitred and Sumin took a walk), she told him that Amber previously was a soldier and had just started at University. 

Yongguk knew that beforehand. He had to know everything about anyone around Sumin. It was his job afterall. A thing he didn't know was Sumin's admiration for the other woman's independence and lifestyle bordered to worship.  

"She had been in the middle of global disorders in so many countries  that I've never  dreamt of." 

"And you think that's a good idea?" Yongguk asked with a raised eyebrow and a wry smile. 

Sumin's laughter was happy and too damned appealing for his libido. 

"Yes, my life has been so protected. This week is the most adventurous I've ever experienced". 

"But you want more adventure?" Bang asked dejected. She would certainly have adventures if her family didn't increase the security around her. It was not up for discussion, she was able to do so.

"Yeah, I want to travel. I want to do things, you know.. Help people. See the world, but not as a part of the privileged class. But as one who want to make a difference.." 

"You sound like someone who wants to join the Peace Corps." Yongguk flashed his gummy smile. 

"It's one of my dreams but I doubt that it ever becomes a reality." 

Yongguk had to take a deep breath to hide his surprise. Her in the Peace Corps? He didn't believe his own ears.  

"If your dream doesn't come true then find some sort of replacement? What about donating to worthy causes?" That was something a girl like her could do which also was politically correct in relation to the status of hers.

Sumin stopped and looked at the lake infront of them thoughtfully. Yongguk also stopped, but he observed his own thing. His very own princess. Her way of speaking and dress, reminded him of a princess. It was something Yongguk had thought about for a long time, that she was his princess. Her pale skin was perfectly defined in the weak sun. Her features was so unspeakable perfect. It beat the air out of him. He reached forward and some hair away from her face. She turned and their eyes met. The velvety irises of hers him in, and her smile tempting him to taste her lips. She put her head back and he instinctively lowered his head until his lips brushed hers. The contact made him shiver and there was no sense of time around them. None of them moved. They didn't deepen the kiss, but didn't move either. They were both paralyzed by powerful feelings, that they had never felt before. They were only connected two places - his feitherlight touch of her lips and his hand against her cheek - but he also felt the connection in another place. A place deep inside him, that he never knew existed. 

"What's up you with you two?" Chanyeol's voice made him come back from the dreamy situation with Sumin. He removed his hand and stepped away from her. What on earth was he doing? He didn't even hear his arrival. It was unacceptable. It would immediately have cost a firing note for one of his employees if they did such thing. And now he was doing it himself. Sumin could be dead. The realization gave him goosebumps. What was he thinking? He was her bodyguard for Christ's sake.  He was here to protect her, not to make love with her or hang over her like a love-sick beast. It was not like him to do so. 

Maybe he needed some vacation. A little vacation with discrete relationships that could vanquish her beautiful face. He knew one thing for sure. The little idealistic Venus was found to be a weakness. A weakness Yongguk couldn't afford to have.

 

"Hey, oppa!" Her voice sounded more soft than usual and she looked at him with unfocused eyes. And she called him oppaYongguk was suspicious.

He didn't like the fact that she called Chanyeoloppa. It was him she should be calling oppa, and with that, a few unclean thoughts rushed through his mind.  

Bang grumbled inside fo himself. It was running completely off track. Chanyeol looked at them both with a knowing glance. 

"You know this is a sport field trip and not a romantic hideout, right?" 

Yongguk looked scowling at him. As if the heartbreaker wouldn't do the same if he got the chance. And he would  definitely have less scruples than YonggukSumin looked away with lovely rose-coloured cheeks. 

"Did you want something?" Yongguk's not so happy voice echoed. He tried to forget that the word "lovely" usually didn't belong his vocabulary and furthermore he used that word about a client. 

"I just wanted to check out the lake. We'll start tomorrow and see what level there is and work from there" Yongguk was about to say something, when Sumin interrupted him.

"If Yongguk-ah don't feel well with it then I'll stay and teach him some kayaking instead." He grabbed the offer with open arms. 

"If you don't mind." 

Chanyeol wrinkled his forehead, "Baby, it's not fair for you. I'm sure that one of the other experienced kayakers would like to stay with him". 

Yongguk noticed that Chanyeol didn't offer himself. Yongguk fought the urge to use Chanyeol's head as a punchbag. He just called her "baby". He felt sick by hearing those words coming from his mouth. She was his to protect.

The well-known stubborn twitch of appeared on her face. 

"Don't be stupid. I invited Yongguk. I've promised him that I would teach him some things, and I want to." A smirk on Yongguk's face appeared as he interpreted the words from differentially than what she really meant. He looked away making sure that no one would notice. Teach him a few things, huh? The idea circulated in his head. Maybe he was the one to teach her some few things. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________ 

 

That was exactly what she did. Yongguk didn't really want to try water-skiing and somehow he lured the B.A.P-members to go water-skiing instead of watching over Sumin. They would watch the others instead to see if there were any suspicous bevahiours between them. He knew it was wrong. They should look after her as much as he did. But something inside him didn't want them to be near. He wanted to be the one protecting Sumin. Only him.  

 

Yongguk's previous experience made it easier for him to keep the balance and follow the movements from the kayak and of course Sumin was good instructor too.  She could also take credit for his progress  in the afternoon and that made her all happy. Yongguk made sure to fall into the water on purpose to substantiate the need to remain at the lake rest of the day. 

They all ate lunch together in the biggest cabin. Sumin was in a good mood and smiled most of the time, and praised him for his good work. Furthermore she complimented the others for their technique while water-skiing. She and her roommate discussed what their most challenging course in sports had been. Yongguk was shocked when he heard Sumin's story. He heard than one time she was almost about to drown in an unfortunately accident. Yongguk felt an unexpected, unknown and not to mention a totally irrational fear when Sumin told her story. The fear disappeared when he saw the admirable look she gave her roommate when she told about her experiences in the army.  

Damn... She would be killed in her search for adventure if her family didn't do anything soon. She needed a man who could take of her. It was a fact that her father, uncle and security guards didn't do a proper job.  The thought of a protecting man, who wasn't him, got black anger to rush through Yongguk. He rejected the pictures, of Sumin in the embrace of another man, with a crippling precision, he didn't want to analyze.