Chapter 10

Protected

Sumin tried to enter his embrace again, but Yongguk shook his head and pushed her away with an expression of dislike. She collapsed against the wall and was hurt and confused by his obvious rejection. He turned his back on her and answered the phone.

“It’s Bang.” How could he sound so dispassionate after what they’ve just done? Yongguk listened to the phone for several seconds without saying anything. He turned around, standing in front of her again with an empty expression.

“So the threat is neutralized and my job is done?” He listened again.

“My final report will be ready tomorrow. I have a lot of suggestions to increase the security level.” Sumin was completely baffled and she tried to find out what was going on.

“Good, arrange a meeting with my secretary, then I’ll come and submit the report.” A silence resounded again.

“I’ll take the first flight tomorrow.” Yongguk said. He said something more and finished the call. Sumin was shaking and wanted to vomit. was dry as sandpaper.

“The first flight? Where are you going?” Yongguk grimaced, as if the conversation was uncomfortable, but he didn’t show any other feelings.

“I’ll return home to my company tomorrow.”

“Your company? I thought you were a student?” Sumin didn’t know what to think anymore.

“It was my cover.”

“Cover?? Are you a FBI-agent or something???” She didn’t know how to handle a relationship with a man who was an agent. But that could be an explanation for his restraint in relation to the development of their relationship.

“Something like that..”

“What?” He clenched his fists, but that was the only sign that showed how much he hated this conversation.

“I have an international security company that operates in the upscale market”. Sumin’s stomach twisted, when an ugly suspicion struck her.

“You mean, that you work with important and rich people?”

“Some..” B.A.P Investigations had a clientele, which was characterized by enormous wealth.

“I understand..” But she didn’t, and she wasn’t sure whether she would.

“You do?” He said sardonically.

“I don’t know.” She admitted.

“Your family has received death threats and it was decided that your security needed to be upgraded. It was your uncle’s idea to increase the security until the threat was neutralized instead of pulling you out of school immediately.”

“Is there anyone who has threatened my uncle and aunt?” She asked with fear in her voice.

“No, your dad. All his children were threatened with death, if he didn’t change his mind in relation to policy and some important business deals.”

“Why wasn’t I told?? Why this… deceitful and sneaky behavior?”

“It was decided that  informing you , would do more harm than good since your studies wouldn’t be interrupted.” Yongguk’s voice was calm and it didn’t show any kind of affection or emotion. She didn’t know how he did it. She felt as if he had stabbed a knife into her heart and she didn’t understand how it could continue beating.

“You mean, that my father thinks I would lack in my studies if I knew about the threats. The fact that I can’t take care of myself properly.” The bitterness in her voice wasn’t only meant for her father’s arrogance

“The security boss didn’t tell me the motivation for their decision of increasing your security profile.”

“So.. you are just doing what you’re told to do, right?” Now she understood why her bodyguards had let her sleep in Amber’s apartment without their presence. They already knew that she was monitored.

“It’s my job.”

“And you always do your job without expressing your own opinion.” She said sarcastically. Sumin refused to believe that Yongguk was a man who said yes and amen to anything or anyone, even to her own father.

“I partially agree. If my agents and I just were an increase in the number of security people then we wouldn’t  have achieved anything but a pair of bodies between you and the threat, but by establishing friendship and total invisibility, we could keep an eye on you and your security level as well. “ He sounded convincing for a moment.
“Did you thought one of them could be a traitor?”

“It has happened before.” That was something she couldn’t argue against nor did she want to. Actually she didn’t want to continue this conversation at all. The pain inside her was too big that she soon had to find a release somehow.

“Everything was a lie then. You were never my friend.. not my anything.” She was hurt.

“The lie was necessary.”

“No!” The pain shot through her, but she didn’t want to let that remark go.

“You could have told me the truth!!” Except that he agreed with her family that she wasn’t smart or strong enough to handle such information. She felt like an idiot because she had trusted Yongguk. Maybe her family was right. Her judgment in relation to Yongguk had not been successful.

 

Damn, and she had fallen in love with a man who lied to her  in order to carry out his job

“You lied to me, again… and again.” She whispered tearfully and accusingly, while the knife drilled deeper and deeper into her heart.  

“I fell for you, and it was a big fat lie. Everything.”

“I lied??” He asked judgmentally. “While you’ve been open and honest with me.. Baek Sumin.” It was the first time she heard him say her name like that. With disgust. She stared at him and was grateful that her back wasn’t pressed against the wall. Otherwise she doubted that her legs could carry her.

“Was that it?? All  the questions? Was it only because of that? Do you live alone? Why haven’t I met your family?” She mocked.

“GOD! I think you know more about my own family than I do.” Her voice was approaching the red zone. For the first time ever, she was about to shout.

“I thought you liked me because of me and not because of the wealth and status in my family. I can’t believe that I’ve been so stupid.”

“Please, stop behaving like a persecuted innocent Sumin.” His voice was cold as ice.

“You say that you fell for me, but you haven’t one single time told me the truth about yourself. I gave you a chance to be honest tonight, to show me trust, but you didn’t grab it.  Like you didn’t the other times you got the chance.”

“I didn’t want my identity to affect your opinion about me!” Sumin screamed. “Moreover, it was a question of security. That is something you have to understand!” She was determined. She needed him to understand.

“Maybe in the start, but we’ve known each other for weeks. You had planned to offer your body tonight, but without telling me the truth. If you had feelings for me, you wouldn’t have seen me like a security risk. You had no problems, being with other precautions as long as it suited you. “ He didn’t remove his gaze from hers.

“It’s not the same, everything about you is a lie! I care.. I cared about you, but for you there wasn’t any relationship. Just a job..” Didn’t he understand how much it hurt her? How wrong it was? But just like her father, Yongguk believed that the end justifies the means.

His mask cracked for a moment, and his dark brown eyes flashed in anger.

“Just like women’s double standards concerning honesty. You’re just like every other woman I’ve known, daughter of CEO Baek. Your confessions about deep feelings  have as much weight as the other truths you’ve chosen to inaugurate me with.”

“It’s not fair, Yongguk. I had my reasons.” She explained herself with big arm movements.

“Just like you had reasons for lying to your own family and security team. Doesn’t it matter to you that the same men are likely to lose their jobs, when I give your father’s security boss my report? Didn’t you think about your family just once, when you were lying to them, so you could get freedom?” She couldn't breath. He didn’t know her at all. She was convinced  that he understood her. But that wasn’t the only recognition, which now broke her heart. Her security guards weren’t evil. They had a life, families… she couldn’t bear if they were fired.

“You can’t write anything in your report, that will trouble them.” She didn’t care if she sounded begging. She would never do it for her own sake, but she couldn’t let her pride stand in the way for the people, who were dependent on her family's goodwill.

“You should have thought about that before you learned how to ruin the security your family had organized.”

“I didn’t know I was observed by another bloodhound, okay? I would never have done something that could put them in trouble!”
“And you don’t think that your bodyguards would have been fired or worse if anything happened to you on one of your many trips??” He raised an eyebrow.

“Nobody here knows who I am. I’m not in danger.”

“You’re naive if that’s the case.” Yongguk believed just like any other men in  her life, that she was inane despite his talk about her intelligence. But she didn’t have time to worry about that now.

“Please, don’t submit that report?.. Please Yongguk.” She looked down on the floor.

“If I promise that I’ll never do such things again?”

“Such things?” She  thought about it quickly before saying anything. She didn’t want to feel committed to keep her promise. No matter what he thought about her dignity.

“What if I promise not to trick my bodyguards anymore?” He sniffled, which caused her to look up hastily.

“You don’t think that I can keep a promise?” She asked directly.

“Just like you kept your promise to be honest towards your security guards??” He crossed his arms, looking at her with a serious expression.

“I’ve never promised that. No one have ever asked me to do so. It’s not my fault that they think, I’m too stupid to get some privacy myself.” Still, he didn’t look convinced. It shouldn’t surprise her, but it did and it hurt her.

 

“Listen.. Although our supposed friendship was nothing but a lie, you should know me well enough to know that I would never continue doing something that could hurt others, especially not the people whose income depends on me.”

“Nevertheless, you exposed the whole security team and your roommate to danger, not to mention that it would put your uncle in a bad light, when it was revealed that he was unaware of a big part of your life.” Maybe she hated Yongguk, but he knew well how to explain things.

“I’ve never believed that I would get caught. It wasn’t on purpose.” He shook his head.

“Please, Yongguk.”

“Promise me that you won’t lie to your guards and your family again, and that you won’t fight against  the new security measures, I’ll suggest without revealing why I find it necessary.”

“I promise.” She didn’t want to have anything to do with men for a long time in the future. She never wanted to be so deeply hurt again.

“I promise that I won’t deceive my family and my security guards in relation to my security.” She stressed. Sumin didn’t promise that she would never again relate her family the truth. She lived a life, they would never understand. Even though, Yongguk looked anything but agree, he nodded.

“That’s a deal..”

 

 

 

 

 

(A/N): Ohhhh upppps... He's so busted :-O What do you think will happen?? Draaaaamaaa