Chapter Eight

As Twisted as Crossroads ('Tied To A Child' Side story)

 

 

 


I blinked. Once. Twice.

My breath halted as my eyes widened. What the ?

Okay, keep calm Seulmi. It’s just Luhan, he won’t do anything to hurt you.

My heart wasn’t helping in the matter, beating meticulously like a hummingbird wanting to escape the bars of it’s cage while I felt the heat move up my neck flowing into my cheeks in slight embarrassment. His lips continued to linger next to my skin, breathing softly onto it so that his dark, seductive breath washed over my nostrils. I had to restrain myself from leaning in to him because damn god he smelt like heaven, and when I said heaven, it really was like it. Maybe it was all because of the bond, maybe it was just because I was his mate, but granted the boy had his scent going for him, I had to admit, he had one of the iest and attractive scents I had ever laid my nose on, not to forget that it was pretty ironical seeing as he was the dog here. I’m surprised that he hadn’t started smelling like a disgusting puppy having trampled about in the rain.

 

It hadn’t been in my intention to push him away, but Luhan did it himself by scrambling up from his seat and sporting a horrified look on his face. He looked like someone had just killed his pet fish, which really wasn’t the case. Well yeah sure he kissed my cheek but…his words tumbled out over my mind as I replayed them, “A werewolf and a mate need to be intimately attached for that to happen”

 

Aha.

 

“I-I- I didn’t m-mean to-I-“ His eyes were scanning my face with terror, his fists clenched at his side in a form of restraint.

 

Why was he getting so worked up about it? I frowned and the boy probably mistook it as a negative sign for he took another step back and stammered, “S-Sorry”

 

And before I could even blink, he was gone like the wind, right before my eyes.

Literally vanished.

 

Okay screw that, I still didn’t understand werewolves.

 

I decided to brush aside my thoughts for now and busied myself in the kitchen where I helped Krystal wash the dishes, trying to clear my mind from what had happened just now although it was pretty hard considering that his scent kept clinging to me no matter where I went. Did he feel guilty for having done that to me and for having rushed things? I don’t understand, why was he being so bipolar? I knew that Luhan was someone that couldn’t express himself well and that had contained all his feelings from the day he got rejected by his mate, but then was it normal for him to show so easily how he felt? That kiss on the cheek, it wasn’t for nothing, it couldn’t be. He must’ve had a reason for doing it, but I’d be damned if he told me because his pride was as big as his intelligence, it was amazing how much male ego he carried around with him, one would’ve thought that was the only thing on his mind. I was pretty certain that Krystal noticed my discomfort by the way I kept cutting glances at the stairs, hoping that Luhan would come down from his room. But nevertheless she kept shut and even threw me out of the kitchen with a quick wink, looking pointedly up at the staircase.

So with a resigned sigh, I walked to his room and slowly knocked on the door.

 

Opening it softly so as not to disturb his peace, I took notice of his still form sitting atop his bed, elbows on his knees and head bowed while his hair tumbled over his eyes. He didn’t spare me a glance when I entered and some small part of my resolution would’ve crumbled if not for my strong resistance.

 

“Uh Luhan?” I gingerly stepped closer to him, biting my lip in nervousness. I swear, though it wasn’t in my nature to look over people’s well-being, there had been something in Luhan’s eyes when he had looked at me after his lips had caressed my cheek, a look of raw pain scratching through his silver pupils. Recalling it back a few seconds ago, I didn’t fail to ignore the tingle of worry present in my stomach, fluttering the butterflies to make me feel sick and hanging on the edge of restlessness.

 

“Get out” His voice was cold, emotionless. A complete contrast from the lighthearted and open boy from just minutes ago.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I frowned and raised a brow at his attempt to ignore me, “Really? Cut it out Luhan. Tell me what’s wrong”

 

When his head snapped up for his eyes to meet mine, I felt an electric jolt course through my veins. It was a foreign feeling, but not entirely annoying in itself. He stood up slowly, showcasing me his full 178cm long body before he walked up to me and made a point that he was the one in charge and in control. Being the oblivious badass I was, I just stared back at him with a mirroring expression, attempting a smirk from the corner of my lips.

 

“I said get out”

I flinched. Wow, well wasn’t he heartless? “What the ’s your problem?” I hissed, “You’re nice one minute and pushing me away the next. How the do you want me to understand?!”

 

I stole a glance at his clenched fists at the corner of my eye before he advanced even closer towards me and growled lowly. “I’m trying to protect you”

“You’re doing a hell of a good job” I shot back.

 

“Don’t” his voice sounded tired, reluctant even. The fire behind his eyes dissipated as soon as it had come. “Stop butting into my business”

 

“It’s no more your business if it concerns you, your past mate and me damnit!” I cried.

 

His hands had suddenly grabbed a hold of my hands, pinning them aggressively to the door and I winced when I felt the pain jolt my body. It seemed that he noticed my expression for his grip loosened slightly, eyes guiltily looking away.

 

When he spoke next, his alto was barely above a murmur cajoling my ear, “Do you know how hard it is?” He bit his lower lip, “Do you know how hard it is to stay away?”

 

“Well then, don’t” I just rolled my eyes. Sometimes, he could be so overly dramatic.

“It was surprising enough that we both lived through it even though rejected wolves are supposed to die” He hissed, eyes narrowing into mine with an intensity I found quite intimidating, “If it happens again, I’m not promising you that you’re going to stay alive”

 

The silence that came after this declaration made my blood run cold, like ice had been thrown to my face with realization. The chilly night air was doing nothing to help stimulate my now shocked brain and it was then that it hit me. Luhan cared, no matter how much he pushed me away and avoided my touch at all costs like I was some kind of leper, it was because he cared. Deep down, in the deepest pit of his dark and cold heart, there was a place for me, a place for his concern. He could shove me away and burn me with his endless words like knives prickling my heartstrings, but there was no denying it, he felt something too although he did his best to hide. I know that I had made a promise with myself; that I would not trust anyone and would spare them the ugly sight of my own self because Seulmi was just done with the abandonment every single time, but seeing him now with those eyes that reflected nothing but pain and struggle rendered my resolution frail, almost breaking under his intense gaze and his delicious touch. Where his palms were enclosed around my skin, I felt scorched with a heat that seemed unlike the pain of a fire, but more like the warmth of the sun on a beautiful summer day.

 

With his vulnerable side exposed, he was just a little boy afraid of getting hurt.

Just like me.

Exactly like me.

What he needed really…was someone to be there, to comfort him that everything was going to be all right.

 

My heart shook with a feeling I couldn’t decipher, but then it knew exactly what it wanted. Before my brain could process my movements, my hands had slipped from his grasp and went to lace themselves around his waist, bringing him closer to me as I placed my head hesitantly on his shoulder, cheek pressed against his t-shirt when I felt the boy stiffen in my grasp.

 


 


 

 

Luhan was speechless at what to make of her actions. Badass, tough Seulmi was acting like the gentle angel, totally unlike her own character. His body stiffened at her touch, never having voluntarily been that close to any human being to start with, and his thoughts started racing inside his head, battling each other out with weapons he was surprised he conceived.

His wolf was yapping in delight, wanting to croon in appreciation at her gesture. It was amazing the effect she had on him; he resembled a pliant puppy in her arms. His more reasonable side though was battling with the logic of it all.

 

Come on, she’s doing all this for you, the least you can do is hug her back! His wolf encouraged with a soft whine.

 

No Luhan. Don’t you remember what happened before? You can’t make the same mistake twice.

 

But she’s offering you comfort. She’s different from the other one.

 

Who says she won’t leave you the moment she’s out of your sight?

 

SHUT UP! He screamed at both of them before Seulmi, tightening her grasp, pressed herself closer when he got a whiff of her odor, interrupted his train of thought. She smelt as sweet as a buttery peach and if he had morphed right then and there he’d probably drool and make a pool of his own room.

 

But then he smelt her feelings, her worry and her genuine concern in the way her fingers curled over his shirt. His body seemed to be on sensory overdrive right then and there, tingling wherever her skin scorched his own and without really thinking of the consequences Luhan’s face dipped down to press his forehead against her own shoulder.

 

If he hadn’t been a well-trained wolf that knew how to control himself, Luhan would’ve gasped at the intensity of the contact. He had been wrong to stay away from her, because right now all the explosion of feelings rushed to his heart, causing a groan of contempt to vibrate out of his chest.

He felt alive, like he had missed out on all this during all those years alone.

She had just ignited the fireworks behind his eyelids with a single touch.


 


 

 

School started again right after the midterms and with a reluctant heart I got back to that hell of a house where I’d be ignored like my existence was utter trash. Luhan did nothing to stop me, because after that particular incident where he’d shown me the most fragile part of himself, he had adamantly put in his head that there was no existence of that particular memory. Me? I just scoffed at his male pride because obviously there had been something going on, and it wasn’t just because of his flushed cheeks when he had denied anything and stomped away like a little kid. Nevertheless, I was aware of his stubborn nature and couldn’t possibly be bothered about it when exams were coming up. I was a senior and had no time to really think about him when in reality I had to seat for my papers in less than a year. I remember the day just after he had let me hum him to sleep; I felt like a mother cajoling her baby to sleep and with the soft moonlight glowing over his features, he did resemble a small angelic cherub.

 

Just for that night though.

On a day-to-day basis, he was still a bastard.

 

“Seulmi,” he had groveled out of his mouth when I was about to descend from the car. Since I was his mate, he had made it clear that he was the one that should be accompanying me back and making sure that I wasn’t attacked by anything on the way, and not because he obviously cared about my well-being, he had argued back with flushing cheeks. I had scoffed at his childish behavior and had a hard time accepting the fact that he was one of the oldest, puh-lease. Even Sehun was more mature than him.

 

“What?” I said, busily pulling down my luggage when his arm shot out to pull it down easily by my side. I blinked up at the wolf in question, eyebrow quirked up in half-amusement.

 

Aw he was fidgeting. How cute.

Not.


“I-Uh-“ he scratched the back of his head, “Thanks I guess, for last night”

 

“Whatever.”

 

I hoped he didn’t notice my blushing cheeks. But then again, he shouldn’t be one to talk, his face was as red as a brick wall.

 

“It shouldn’t have happened,” he coughed uneasily, “It won’t happen again. I just lost control”

 

“Whatever you say Luhan” rolling my eyes, I ly to be restrained by his hand that shot out to grab at my arm.

 

The sigh that left my lips was more than irritated, “What?”

 

“Uh- I- I’ll see you around”

 

“Yeah”

 

Sarang’s voice cut me out of my momentary daze when she giggled and poked my side teasingly, “Are you thinking about him?”

 

“H-Huh?!” My head snapped up to meet her eyes twinkling with mischief and scoffed in response, making sure to flash my scowl, “NO I wasn’t. Why would I?”
 

“You know Seulmi, you are becoming soft” She chirped and nudged me.

I couldn’t keep the flush away from my face, “I AM NOT! SHUT UP!”

 

“You so are, it’s cute really” She sighed dramatically, twining a strand of hair around her finger, “I’m happy now that Luhan’s finally showing emotions”

 

My resolve to ignore her crumbled slightly upon hearing her words. What did she mean by that? “What do you mean?” I asked sharply.

 

“When I was in a bad phase with Jongin, he was the one that comforted me” A soft smile crept onto Sarang’s face. Clearly, she should look at herself in the mirror because god forbid she looked like Christmas had come early this year. Urgh, if this was how people looked when they were in love then I think I’ll pass. “Although he may seem cold and bad on the outside, he really cares. The best way to get his trust I guess is to show him that you’re there. Luhan has a lot of trust issues because of that”

 

Okay maybe for the first time, I, Park Seulmi the one who never listened to a word that sprouted out of my friend’s mouth because of her being just too lovey dovey for my own sanity, decided that maybe what she was saying actually made perfect sense.

 

A bit too much, even.


 

Another chappie is up! ^^ hope you guys like this one. 

LUHAN AND SEULMI ARE JUST THE CUTEST LITTLE I MEAN I KNOW ITS WRONG TO FANGIRL OVER MY OWN CHARACTERS BUT C'MON MAN THE IS JUST TOO MUCHHHH I JUST WANNA SQUISH THEIR FACES TOGETHER TO MAKE THEM KISS THE LIFEUH OUT OF EACH OTHER TTTT. TTTT /cries a river of tears then slaps self/. 

Like it? Hate it? Comment down below! <3 

What do you think about Luhan and Seulmi's character now? :) 

I love you all! As usual thanks so much for giving this fic so much love and MUAH! KISS KISS~