Chapter Thirteen

As Twisted as Crossroads ('Tied To A Child' Side story)

No matter how much I screamed at my eyes to stop watering those tears that I was certain looked pathetic and made me seem weak, they would not cease as they kept tumbling down like a cascade of crystal jewels down my cheek, glistening in the morning sunlight that was slowly appearing in the horizon. I couldn’t care less about the damn sun; I was just too caught up in my emotions that it all just burst. It had never happened, why was I showing him the weaker, the more fragile part of myself when what I wished for was to be strong? Of all people that had to be there, he was the last one on my list. Not because I was scared he’d take advantage of it, no. Luhan might be mean and cold but he wasn’t ruthless or dominated over someone’s weaknesses.

 

But I was just scared that he’d see right through that strong façade I held against myself, against the population.

Against him.

Because he was the reason for all those emotions overflowing out of my re-opened wounds.

He was the one igniting them all up like he had been used to doing it since the day he met me.

I did not want to see him, to see his pretty face.

But he was there all this time, gazing at me with those silvery eyes of his flashing with alert worriedness, looking at through his clear and trying to understand what had made me snap.

 

Turning my head away from the said wolf, I proceeded to turn away and hide my face in the duvet, the soft cocoon of warmth enveloping me and making me for a second, relish in the comfort of it’s arms. I wished to sleep, I wished to erase everything that had just happened and foremost, I did not want to see Luhan’s face at this moment because he made my heart ache.

 

Ache, why?

I wanted to ask myself the same question. Why? What did he do?

He had been nothing but a to me all this time, although he did take care of me at times, when surely the guilt was riding him over.

I had expected his shuffling feet to move away towards his bed and squeezed my eyes shut when I felt the weight of the mattress shift. He was probably standing up from my ‘bed’ and was about to fall onto his, because what was there to be said? He had hurt me, and in his own way, apologized. I understood that it wasn’t his fault and that I shouldn’t be too negative or harsh on him.

But my tingling arm was just a reminder of his soft, supple kisses spreading across my flesh like flames of attraction.

 

But I had not expected him to do what he did a second later.

Not at all.

 

A pair of hands wound themselves tightly around my waist so suddenly that I jumped in surprise, my gaze falling on the boy who just looked back at me with a gentle yet firm look in his eyes before he swiveled my body around so that I was facing him.

Placing my hands on his chest, I pushed at him in vain. His grip on my middle was unyielding, strong and iron-like. I felt like I was battling against a dead corpse.

Not to forget that wherever he touched, my skin seared with a million of tiny butterflies fluttering at the end of my stomach.

 

“What are you doing” I hissed as my palms landed on his chest, pushing at him the best I could though I knew it was useless against this supernatural force.

 

Luhan said nothing still, eyes still latched onto mine before he pulled me closer so that our bodies touched. He was close enough that if he moved his head, his forehead would land on mine. My heart started accelerating like a car speeding on a motorway and my fingers started shaking uncontrollably.

“You look ugly when you cry” He suddenly stated.

I threw him the coldest, meanest glare I came up with; struggling against the cage he had entrapped me in, “Let the GO!”

 

I froze suddenly when his left hand reached out to palm my right cheek, sliding over the skin and using his thumb to wipe the tearstains. His voice was nothing but a soothing beg of “Please don’t cry”

 

No matter how much I wanted to tear my gaze away, there was something in those now brown orbs that took me in, entranced me with their light. He was pleading, begging me with the most sincere part of himself to stop because

Because what? Because if pained him? I laughed at my shallowness, because he didn’t ing care, that was all.

 

“You’re wrong,” he growled so suddenly that I snapped out of my trance, his arms pressing me tighter and leaning in to press his forehead against mine. The action caused a blush to slowly raise up a notch, color exploding on my cheeks as my heart beat kept beating at this uncontrollable rate I was scared he heard it if it got any louder.

 

“I know I said I didn’t want anything to do with you,” He continued, his voice dropping to a lower octave and marking it’s way down my spine as I shivered in response. Curling a strand of hair behind my ear, I hadn’t realized that I had been holding my breath all this time before a soft sigh escaped me. His touch did wonders to my body, they soothed me but riled me up at the same time, and I was confused, at loss about the feelings battling painfully inside my body.

 

He then placed his head in the space between my shoulder blade and neck, crooning softly from it’s depth and letting the warmth of his breath hit my skin, “You’re ing up my mind, Park Seulmi”

 

For once in my entire life, I didn’t want him to pull away; I didn’t want to deal with these foreign emotions on my own.

Most importantly, I felt like he was there whether I liked it or not, someone that would worry and concern himself about me whether I was okay or not.

 

“And…” I jumped when the pressure of a small kiss got implanted at the base of my neck, “I’m sorry, for this” he ran his other hand down my injured arm soothingly.

 

Stupid Luhan.

Always playing this cat and mouse game.

Acting cold and mean this moment, then being sweet and caring the next. It riled me up and ed with my mind, because every time I’m tempted to give in to you, you just push me away like nothing had ever happened between us.

 

A sob unexpectedly burst from my mouth before I could control it and I looked away in part embarrassment when Luhan raised his head to look at me with that unreadable gaze of his, eyes intense and piercing.

“Seulmi,” he breathed, “please say something, anything

 

“I hate you,” I croaked back unconvincingly as with resignation, I placed my head on his chest and for this moment, bathed in the comfort his body emitted to mine.

His hold just got tighter before I felt him place a feather of a kiss at my temple, “I’m sorry”

“Y-You’re such a-such a-“ I hit his chest lightly with my palm now crunched up into a small fist, attempting to hurt him for everything he was making me go through, and yet it didn’t give me the satisfaction I was seeking for.

 

I was about to hit him once again when within a second, his hand had stopped my movement on my arm, his fingers sliding up to meet my hand while his eyes stuck on my own brown orbs, “Seulmi” He breathed my name like it was a prayer said by a priest, my heart triggering with a foreign feeling I couldn’t put into words. His fingers then entwined with mine sensually,  “I think…I think I-“

 

He halted once he saw the petrified way I was looking at him. I feared the words that were about to fall from his mouth because really, I don’t know how I was supposed to react to it. Maybe I did reciprocate his feelings, maybe I didn’t but overall, I would hate it if anyone else entered this brick construction I had built around my heart. Letting Luhan in so easily might just trigger some kind of uneasiness inside of my stomach.

 

He then sighed before closing his eyes briefly, dropping back down to burrow his head in the depths of my neck, “Nevermind”

 

Somehow, disappointment rose within me, but I stuffed it back down before I could get even more confused with my stupid feelings getting in the way.

 


 


 

After his apology, everything slightly went off radar for both of them. As Seulmi tried avoiding him at all costs because of the fear of being caught up in this embarrassment that crept up her spine at unforgiving moments, Luhan started being more and more in her presence. Whenever she’d be in any room, he’d be following her, subtly but surely. All wolves noticed the change in his demeanor, the way he kept cutting glances at her although he thought that he did it in the most James Bond’est way possible. Sometimes, Seulmi felt the heat trespass her body like shooting lasers but every time she’d twist and turn her head, Luhan would be looking the other way. And she knew it was him, she was sure of it, she could bet on it. How the hell was he so fast with his movements? Was the only thing she thought.

 

Luhan on the other hand was confused, frustrated and more than a little lost with the whole affair. Now that it was clear that he’d fallen head over heels for the girl that he supposedly hated with all his might, the most horrible obstacle was showing it to her. No matter how much he kept sticking to her and trying to make her look at him, really look at him- she’d be distracted with something else. It was so frustrating that he felt like punching someone on a daily basis.

But then, just one glance at Seulmi and everything would go away.

 

He hated himself for being so weak.

 

It hadn’t been in his plans at all, she had just come without any sign of warning and the worst was that he didn’t fear the death awaiting him if ever he was to be rejected, but her, how would she take it? Some mates were strong, but Seulmi…the last thing he wished for was for her to get hurt because of him.

 

It had especially been hard these days to get into her mind. she seemed to have developed an unconscious ability to shut off her thoughts whenever he was around, letting him hear only half of the things going on inside that brain of hers.

It frustrated him to no end.

And it didn’t help things that she had forgiven Donghyuk so easily. That smile on his face whenever he was around her, Luhan’s fist ached to punch his jaw shut.

 

“You are so obvious” Sehun remarked one day while they were passing a football between their shuffling feet, the summer breeze clinging to their skin and sticking their t-shirts with beads of sweat running down their backs.  The younger wolf just flashed a huge grin when he sensed Luhan’s shimmering discomfort. He especially found the mind bonds very useful when it came to secrets, because they all knew that the pack did not contain any secrets from each other no matter how hard you tried. Blocking thoughts from other individuals might just add to the problem.

 

The older threw him the coldest, meanest glare he could muster but it did little to scare Sehun away.

 

 On the contrary, it just riled him up.

 

“Don’t look at me like that. Keep that for your lady” Sehun continued while wriggling his eyebrows. Luhan scoffed and looked away with annoyance etched all over his face, “Shut up”

 

“Aw, Luhan’s getting all red isn’t he?” The younger wolf kept poking fun at him knowing full well that he was playing with fire.

 

“Sehun, don’t taunt him” Lay said from the side of the porch with a hand wrapped around Lin’s petite waist. He eyed the youngest wolf with a silent message of warning because when Luhan was angry, it was a good match to say that the world could be ending.

“I’m not” He retorted, talking as if Luhan wasn’t even there in the first place, “I’m just trying to give him some balls because jeesh, he’s not making his move”

 

Before he could say anything else, Luhan’s foot had kicked the ball so hard that it flew right out of the soccer field and landed beyond the clouds, lost in the sea of sky and never to be found again. The two wolves watched him turn on his heel, mutter unheard grumbles between his breath before he stalked away into the woods to calm himself down.

 

Lay shot Sehun a ‘I-told-you-so’ look to which the maknae replied with a shrug, lazily putting his hands in his pockets, strolling away.

 

“That kid will never learn” Lay murmured with a sigh. Granted, he understood that Sehun wanted Luhan to be happy and to actually let go of his past for once to focus on the present because it was all too clear that Seulmi felt the pull as well. It was just a matter of time before the two snapped but somehow Sehun really was pushing the boundaries too far nowadays. A feather of a hand his back and instantly all the tension washed away like rain cleansing his wounds.


Lin, only she had him eating out of her hand.

It was quite embarrassing to say the least, nevertheless she never took advantage of it, something he found to be quite a proud trait of hers.

 

“What are you thinking about?” her soft tinkle of soprano was music to his ears.

He turned to her and brought her closer, nose bumping into the scent of her rose-petal flavored hair, “Just Luhan and his man pride problems”

 

A giggle escaped her, “You want me to talk to Seulmi? Maybe I can try changing her mind”

 

“No let them talk it out” He replied while trailing a hand through her shoulder length black locks “I just hope it’s sooner better than later”

 

“Don’t worry, Luhan’s not the only one that’s been restless these past few days” Lin placed her head in the crook of his neck and inhaled the soft, musky scent that gave her the comfort she needed. Lay’s eyes slipped to her figure as he watched her peacefully watching the scenery before her, and he wondered how the hell had he been such a lucky bastard to gain such a wonderful mate that complimented him perfectly.

 

He recognized the howl from the distance  as Luhan’s and hoped that somehow, everything would turn out right for him, because it worried Lay. If Seulmi was to reject him, then he wasn’t sure whether the older boy would be strong enough.


 


 

For now, it seemed like the coyotes were decreasing in number thanks to all the longer night shifts provided to all werewolves and their fellow lynxes. They’d patrol every day and night without any rest and it became especially apparent that the wolves were as tired as whenever they returned. Even Luhan who usually teased me for no reason nowadays would walk into the room like a half-dead zombie. I wanted to reach out to him whenever he looked like he was about to collapse at any moment, but then a reminder of what had occurred between us rendered the atmosphere awkward and instead of finding myself comforting him, I would choose to ignore his mere presence, turning over and making as if I was asleep.

 

Donghyuk’s limb on the other hand was taking a longer time than expected to heal, so he was put off duties for now. He’d always be found roaming around the house and his presence was always a welcoming fresh of air. Funny, cool and more than a little laid-back, he was the perfect opponent to play video games with whenever I got too bored of roaming around the house on my own. Sure, there were the mates, but most of us would try and get the maximum time with their wolves before their shift because of their time being more limited than ever.

So Donghyuk was a good replacement.

 

“HA! Take that!” I fist-pumped the air as my avatar took down his own with a swipe of it’s left foot. The screen glowed with a red angry “K.O’ sign as we both watched his character falling to the ground. The boy groaned and fell back onto the carpet as I jumped up and hooted at my success.

I was definitely a pro in Tekken 4. Come on, like who could beat me?

 

“Nooooooo!” He whined and threw his joystick to the ground. I laughed at the sore loser and threw him a ‘told-you-I’m-the-best’ look.

“See? See?” I wriggled my eyebrows at the now annoyed and fuming boy, “I told you I’m better!”

 

“SHUT UP!” He roared while running his hands through his hair in frustration, nostrils flaring, “We’re doing it again! This is not possible! I’m a lynx!”

 

“So what if you’re a lynx?” I didn’t bother hiding my snort. “I’m still better than you at Tekken”

 

He scowled, “We’re playing this again, and there’s no way you’re going to win this time”

 

“Oh really?” I resisted myself from chortling out loud at his overly boost of confidence although he was the one to be losing just a second ago, before clicking onto the ‘battle’ icon, “Fine! Let’s do this again and I’ll prove to you that-“

 

Arms suddenly laced around my waist. I cut off in mid-sentence with a slight squeak upon feeling the warmth of his breath on the back of my neck. Uh no, Donghyuk and Luhan in the same room did not mean any good news.

 

At the same time, Donghyuk’s head whipped around when his nostrils detected the unfamiliar scent in the room, scrunching up slightly before he noticed the possessive hold in which Luhan had trapped me in. a wave of heat washed over my body when I realized the awkwardness that lingered between the three of us when Donghyuk rose an eyebrow jokingly before chuckling. Compared to Luhan, he was way more laid-back and cool about the mate thing and knew that I was already ‘taken’ by a wolf. To him, we were very good friends, that was it. Because he knew that the time for him to meet his mate would be coming soon, there was no romantic feelings between the two of us, however Luhan did not quite see it in the same way.

 

Overpossessive jealous freak.

 

“Hi Luhan” He greeted with a smile. The one holding me in place stiffened considerably before I nudged him in the ribs so that a choked “Hey’ fell out of his mouth in reluctance.

 

“Well, I think I’m just gonna… go” but we were having such a good time! I felt like screaming my lungs off. Why did Luhan have to come at such a bad time?! He was always cutting out the fun I was getting! What was wrong with him?! It wasn’t like I was going to date Donghyuk or anything; he just didn’t trust me or the lynx for that matter.

 

Annoyance burned through my ribs when I whipped my head around to throw Luhan a glare, “What is wrong with you?!”

 

He looked back at me as innocently as a deer caught in the headlights, and for a moment I felt the world tilt at his innocent gaze, it almost threw me off guard before I caught myself in time. The way his eyes were going over my every feature didn’t feel like he heard me at all. He looked like he was admiring a piece of artwork in a gallery and excuse me, but I was not a painting, thank you very much.

 

But then, before I could even blink, he pulled me over to his lap as his had came to a rest on my shoulder. Grip firm and legs making a lap around my own, he mumbled something about the stupid lynx always getting my attention. Blush slowly crawled up my neck, making me all hot and bothered in his hold as I felt my heart constricting, pumping more blood into my face as it turned red from the embarrassment of being so close. Luhan’s body warmth was doing little to calm down the butterflies that have started going wild.

 

“Uh, what are you doing?” I thanked heavens that I didn’t stutter it out because god knew how much my heart was jumping through my chest. I was scared he’d hear it.

 

“I want to play” he stated, ignoring my question like it was the most natural thing in the world to hold me in such a precarious position. My stiff body did not relax as I contemplated hitting his arms so that he’d release me.

 

But then my mind flashed back to those stuttering words he was trying to get out of his mouth that night, the night that had been so full of surprises with his soft sounding words and coaxing melody of alto, his body warmth crawling around my own in a soft cocoon of protection.

 

“I think…I think I-“

Heat exploded once more around my neck. Distracting myself from my thoughts, I reached over for Donghyuk’s joystick and passed it to Luhan. One of his hands removed themselves to grab onto the control but then I blinked when the boy did not budge an inch away from me.

 

“Uh, aren’t you moving?” I asked a little too bluntly. But I didn’t’ care. Get the away from me before you got a whiff of my confused feelings.

 

He stubbornly pressed his cheek onto mine, looking down at his own hands as they grabbed onto the joystick but still wrapped around me in a firm hold. “I like it this way”

 


“But-“

 

“Seulmi” He growled a warning and I knew that there was no discussing the matter.


 

Updated!:3 How'd you like this one? DID YOU GUYS LIKE THE FLUFF???? I MEAN LUHAN'S FINALLY CAVING IN HEHEHEHEHE NOWWWW WE ONLY NEED SEULMI TO GIVE IN TO THE UNWANTED DESIRESSSS :) <3 Thanks so much as usual for the support and the love, I love you guys ! <3