Chapter Fourteen

As Twisted as Crossroads ('Tied To A Child' Side story)

 

 


Exams were approaching a little too fast for my liking and soon enough I found myself drowning in piles and piles of notes. Maths, English, Korean Literature, Biology- let’s just not get past that because dear god, I could not get past the last subject. Maths and English were fine, yolo as they said. You couldn’t really revise apart from practicing the questions over and over, what I did numerous times in order to avoid Biology. Korean Literature could be dealt with, it was just reading and learning by heart.

 

Biology on the other hand was another matter entirely. I could not understand it was sprouting. For god’s sake how was I supposed to differentiate between a spider and an insect? To me they were ing the same thing! Urgh! I wanted to bash my head against the wall and wished that it could be wiped off my scholar history. I was not ready for this exam, not ready at all. Hormones and numerous glands I did not identify flew past my eyes as I skimmed the pages of my huge encyclopedic-natured textbook. Page after page of notes I seldom remembered got my heart twisted in a small panicked dance. , , I was in for it, doomed to death.

 

If it didn’t pass this exam, it would be over for me.

Literally over.

I had to ace this, I had to.

Otherwise I’d just fail life because I needed these grades to get into Uni.

 

I was never really an academic student. My culture said otherwise though, it pushed people to their limits and always provided competition to others like it was water they needed to saturate them for life. I watched my classmates as they battled against each other in this war of grades, always trying to be number one, always trying to be at the top. I was never in the league, never even qualified for the top 50 because I couldn’t really care less. But I now I understood, understood the importance of being good in academics, the importance of giving your best effort.

 

Unfortunately I wasn’t sure whether it was too late to change future’s decisions.

 

“Hey” Luhan’s head popped around the door. I didn’t bother looking up at him while a muttered and quite frustrated ‘what?’ got out of my mouth.

 

“Dinner’s ready” he said, pushing the door open and walking over to my desk – or more precisely his desk since it was his room that I had messed up with all my past test papers and notes spread out- “You coming, sweetheart?”

 

I narrowed my eyes at him “Shut up, and no, not until I learn this ”

 

“Like it’s even helping that thick skull of yours,” he retorted as he leaned over to get a better look at what I was revising. When I felt the heat penetrate my back, my muscles instantly stiffened and it felt like the heater was turned up to full volume inside the room.

 

“Biology?” I felt his laughter hit the back of my neck and the small baby hairs stood on end, “Really sweetheart? What interest do you find in studying the human body and it’s counterparts?”

 

“Luhan, do me a ing favour and piss off!” I whipped my head around and glared him down with the scariest glare I could muster. Unfortunately for me, it did little to scare the boy off for he just chuckled slightly and ruffled my hair.

 

My annoyance did nothing to deter him or scare him away but I was as horrified by my own reaction because it did not look annoy me as much as I thought it would’ve. These past few days, I was becoming more and more tolerant of the boy and the fear of opening up to him, of trusting him was still lingering at the back of my mind as I tried to push him away. He always came back though, he never gave up. And this caused a slight crack in my self-resistance.

With small steps, I was giving in to him.

Slowly, but surely.

 

He was out of the room and back before I could even blink carrying one plate full of food. I looked at him with curiosity in my eyes. Had he suddenly gone crazy or something?

 

“What…”I dragged out “Are you doing?”

 

“Food” He answered simply, making me feel as if I was a stupid blonde for having asked so when surely it was accurate that I was not the crazy one in here, and not to forget that between the both of us, I was pretty sure I was closer to the normal meter than he ever would be.

 

I frowned, “If you want to eat in front of me just to piss me off more Ahjusshi, I’ll-“ he suddenly shoved a spoonful of rice into my mouth to shut me up and I could only watch him and glare at his stupidly handsome grin, trying to make him feel the danger of his own doing.

 

I gulped it down before saying “What was that for?!”

 

“I thought you were hungry” He placed the plate on the corner of the table and dragged another chair closer to his desk, his thigh touching mine so intimately and causing the heat to spread through my body to the tips of my fingers. Gulping was the only way to focus my attention back to the task at hand. Instead, my brow rose in confusion, “You lost me right there”

 

“Just study”

 

He watched me flick the pages endlessly and kept putting spoon after spoon of food in my mouth although I told him I didn't have two hands for nothing, but he'd only make another witty remark or roll his eyes and ignore me like nothing had been said. I wanted to scoff at his stubborn attitude because although he did not give away any sign, I could feel that he was hungry, that his stomach was growling. I could almost make out the softest of growls whenever he'd look a bit too long at the food, enviously, then look away and swallow down the bile rising up his throat. 

 

I was taken aback by my ability to figure out his most wanted desires although I wasn't one to read minds like he did. Somehow, I felt this was the entire bond's doing. It was getting stronger every minute I spent in his presence. Every time we would touch, I felt like I got to know him a little bit better. 

 

"Sweetheart I know I'm handsome but please stop staring" he suddenly sniggered and right there and then my fist ached to punch his pretty little face in. 

 

"Stop bullting yourself" I snorted, "There's so much better" I added oil to the fire, "like Donghyuk" 

 

As expected, he failed to hide the stony expression settling over his face, a carving out of stone, "don't talk so good about that stupid cat"

 

"Ooh, why so serious?" It was too good to stop, for once that I had the upper hand on the situation; I was not about to let it go so easily. His facial expressions were too precious to go to waste. This was how it felt like to have the upper hand. 

 

He shoved another glob of rice into my open mouth in response and just scowled. 

 

"Yah!" I protested in between bites, “it’s not fair that I’m the only one eating” and then without his consent, I scooped up some rice and shoved it in his mouth. He was taken aback for a moment and his surprised orbs were wide like a deer caught in the headlights, making me want to squish him to pieces. , how could he be this cute?

 

I realized a second too late that this little action meant an indirect kiss between the two of us, and with widened eyes, I gulped down the saliva accumulating inside my mouth as heat moved up my neck into my cheeks with flushed embarrassment. Oh god, I hoped he did not hear whatever went through my mind because he’d probably just congratulate himself on his boosted ego.

 

“I heard that” His smirk automatically wiped off all positive thoughts from my mind and this time, I was the one scowling. “You did not hear anything”

 

“Oh sure I didn’t” His face suddenly zoomed in on mine, my heartbeat erratically pounding inside my chest, “you’re blushing so bad it’s amazing”

 

My face flamed even more, the color of a fire engine, “You’re such a- ARGH!” I grabbed strands of my hair and pulled at them in frustration, turning away from the wolf and taking in a deep breath in order to calm my mind because when Luhan was around, there was no way I’d be able to keep myself stable or sane, whether in the positive or negative way you take it.

 

I heard a chuckle fall from his lips and swiveled around to give him another piece of my mind when I noticed the lack of distance between our faces. His silvery shimmery orbs were burning into mine with an intensity I found breathtaking. I couldn’t tear my gaze off him no matter how much I willed my nerves to move the heck away, and yet there was nothing disturbing or gross about the intimacy we shared. It felt right somehow, the electricity zapping from his body to mine, his breaths rolling over my face and causing a shiver to rise up my spine in slight delight.

 

I got distracted once I caught sight of his tongue reaching out to wet his pink lips, and couldn’t look away from his sultry mouth that throbbed with a seduction I found out of this world. The logical part of my brain was screaming at me to stop and take a step backwards unless I wished to make a huge mistake, but I just couldn’t. My body didn’t want to respond to its commands, I felt like the want to be closer to Luhan overpowered my reasoning and that scared the hell out of me. I took a step back out of nervousness and instantly the back of my legs hit the bed, causing my bum to hit the comfy texture. Swallowing hard and trying not to look like I was the one freaking out here, I stiffened as soon as I felt Luhan’s arms cage me on the bed, his face just a millimeter from mine as he kept gazing into my dark brown orbs, his silvery ones swimming with an emotion that couldn’t be deciphered.

 

“Luhan-?” I whispered in attempt to snap him out of his momentary daze. But his eyes were still as intense on mine, they seemed to bore into my soul and extract every little secret I was keeping within my core. Not that I had many secrets to begin with. I felt a sort of vulnerability of being exposed to him.

And I didn’t like it one bit.

 

Then he blinked, and it was over.

 

Gone.

 

“Sorry” He mumbled loud enough for me to hear as his body moved away within a second. He quickly went back to his place by the desk and distracted himself with the spoon. I noticed two bright red spots on the apple of his cheeks and I suddenly felt like laughing. Luhan, the cold and supposedly manly Luhan was blushing, of all people. The change was cute and refreshing in itself. It was nice to know that I wasn’t the only one being affected by this kind of bond connecting us together.

 

When I walked back to the desk and noticed my biology back, another sigh made it’s way out of my voice box. I really was fed up of learning and at this time of night, it was quite useless to keep trying. So I closed the book and turned to Luhan who was looking at me with a perplexed expression.

 

“What?” I asked monotonously.

 

“I thought you said you had to revise” He frowned.


“I’m giving up. I can’t do this anymore” I stretched my arms above my head and took in a deep breath, motioning for him to stand up, “Let’s go join the others’

 

He hesitated for a moment before nodding, “Alright”

 


 


 

 

The coyotes were manifesting again, the howls and the keens filling night after night as the mates moved restlessly about in constant tension. Luhan ran through the thick greenery of the forest and relished in the soft, peaceful sounds of the trees ruffling past him as he ran by. It almost felt likt family greeting him after a long absence. He had forgotten just how much he loved running around on his own to be with himself and clear his mind. Because of all the commotion and the tension running around the house these days, there wasn’t a second that Luhan felt like he could relax. His muscles were on a constant stress ready to pounce and morph at any moment. The only person that made it more bearable for him was Seulmi who decided that exams were more important and didn’t spare him more than a glance every time they met each other.

 

Sure, it hurt whenever she did that, whenever she ignored him royally like he did not mean a thing to her, but Luhan understood that her studies were as important, maybe even more at this point in time.

Look at me, he thought to himself, I’m practically whipped.

 

A black wolf – D.O-  made his way towards him and nudged his face slightly with his snout, what’s wrong? You smell sad.

 

It’s nothing, Luhan yapped back at him slightly; just some things are on my mind.

 

Is this about Seulmi? D.O asked with glint in his eyes.

 

Luhan rolled his own then barked in response; I’ll be laughing my off once you get your own mate, Kyungsoo.

 

Guys, Krystal trudged over to them in her wolf form, slightly smaller than all the male wolves and with the average size of a lynx, more elegant and graceful. She was a beautiful mix of black and white patches decorating her body, her fur glinting softly in the moonlight; this isn’t the type to be talking really.

 

Sorry, they both barked softly.

Suho was right behind his mate and with a slight purr, he brought his snout to hers and rubbed it softly while telling everything, the coyotes, I feel them.

 

It can’t be, Tao moaned from the other side of the forest, we killed every last one of them.

 

Something’s definitely fishy. They can’t reproduce that fast, Kris ‘s tone was a little more than aggravated. Luhan told him to calm down through a slight grunt, causing the alpha to growl in response. He had been even more stressed and aggressive these past few days but no one could blame him, what with everything that had been happening around their safe haven, maybe it wasn’t so safe as it once was anymore. Luhan had a bad feeling about this, the feeling that one would have on the calm before a storm. It caused a pang of nervousness every time he thought about it.

 

Suho suddenly sniffed the air and caught a whiff of Hanbin’s scent, the lynxes are here.

 

Do you think we should move the mates? It’s getting more dangerous, Kai snarled just at the thought of his mate being marked by this creature. I’m not risking Sarang’s life for anything.

 

Chill your bro. You know that the one who’s in danger is Seulmi, Chanyeol yapped back.

 

Luhan in turn let out a slight roar, Shut up, Chanyeol.

 

This is not the time bunch of idiots, Xiumin rolled his eyes mentally, we have to find their coven, and fast.

 

They started off again, each in his own territory and trying to catch the coyotes scent by the lingering foul odor that seemed to get fainter and fainter each passing day. It wasn’t until a shrill scream echoed throughout the night that Luhan’s ears jerked up in alert.

 

What was that? He asked to no one in particular.

But then, alarm bells started ringing inside his mind the moment Seulmi’s voice burst through his conscious thoughts, “LUHAN!” She screamed, and in a second, it was gone.

 

No.

Within the blink of an eye, he had vanished, rushing through as fast as his limbs would take him back to the house. No no no, he kept chanting inside his head. They had checked the perimeter; they had made sure that there was nothing there, how- how could the mates be in danger when it had never happened before? Their security was not to be joked with, it was that serious, it was impossible that someone could have trespassed without anyone of them knowing. Fear and concern were pricking at his brain like birds would jab at his scalp, their knocking sound causing his heart to constrict in pain. Just the thought of that-that creature laying his ing monster of hands on his Seulmi made him want to tear him to pieces. A growl tore through his gritted teeth and his jaws snapped together once he reached the house.

 

Not hesitating to bound headfirst into his room, he couldn’t care less about the shattered windows when he made his entrance, for what he found before his eyes almost knocked half of his breath out of his body.

 

That thing had dared touch his mate, had dared grasp her wrist in his animalistic ones and had his head buried at the side of her neck in the most ghastly way as the girl thrashed out beneath him, crying violently for help. It was straddling her waist and for a second Luhan’s vision glowed red.

A growl snapped out of his throat before he pounced.

 

His body hit the foe and crashed him to the ground away from Seulmi, jaws clamping around his neck in one swift movement and about to snap him in two when it hissed something that made spidery tendrils of fright jolt down his back.

 

“Too late” It mocked him, a failed attempt at laughter as Luhan wrenched it’s head away from It’s body and watch it skidder out of the window, the other counterpart hanging limply from his jowls.

 

He did not hesitate one second, dashing to his mate and whining softly into her ear as she gasped and convulsed, body writhing in weird positions when a scream erupted from . Luhan jumped back in alarm and shifted into his human form in panic.

 

“Seulmi, Seulmi what’s wrong?!” He shouted as he laced his arms around her body. It was only then that he heard the harsh, violent sounds pounding against the door. He dragged himself over and tugged it open so that all the mates toppled over from the other side.

 

“Luhan!” Mihye gasped at the sight and rushed to the younger mate’s side, eyes frantic, “What happened?!”

 

“We have to get her out of here” He ignored her question as he called for the one he knew he could count on in such conditions. D.O appeared at the door in a flash and ran over to them, stumbling over his feet as he did so to land right next to the injured girl.

His eyes scanned her neck and they widened, “” he murmured. Behind him, the troop of wolves burst through the door one by one, each the more frantic than the other.
“What the is going on here?!” Chanyeol said while they all crowded around Seulmi’s sick form. She was shivering, pale and practically unrecognizable. Luhan’s heart kept clenching in pain, heartstrings pulling to the side when she groaned in pain and suddenly started choking on her own spit.


D.O lifted her in his arms, “We have to get her out of here”

 

Hanbin magically appeared out of nowhere with a grim expression, “The Lynx’s place is safe”


 


 

 

L u  H a n

 

 

We followed Hanbin back to his pack and I barely took in the beautiful cottage they had built by themselves, trailing after Kyungsoo as he carried Seulmi to the couch in their living room and plopped her down on the soft texture. He barked out some instructions to some other wolves about foreign ingredients while I just collapsed by Seulmi’s side and tried to stop her pain. I felt her hands tremble in my grasp, her face slick with sweat and her skin burning with a temperature beyond my own warmth.

 I grasped tightly onto her elbows, “Seulmi. Seulmi do you hear me?”

 

“L-Luhan,” her eyes opened wearily. Her face was gaunt and pale, like a ghost out of a scary movie. I couldn’t stand to see her like this; I couldn’t bear the grimace she made when her body convulsed once more in my arms. The only thing that was in my power was to hold her tightly and murmur soft comforting nothings in her ear, praying that she would be all right and that whatever D.O was doing could save her. She could not die; I wasn’t going to let her to. I dared and tried defying all the gods about this matter because they’d have to kill me first before they killed her. I took so much time finding her again; I was not going to let her slip from my fingers for ’s sake. Not only that but I preferred dying rather than see her suffer, if only I could do something, anything to help.

 

“Luhan, I will need your help” Kyungsoo settled back down next to me with a serious look on his face, the most serious one I had laid eyes upon. I nodded wordlessly. The younger boy uncapped different ingredients of herbs and sauces before mixing them together, crushing the substance until it became some kind of liquid in the bowl.


“The coyote left his mark on her. Since she’s an unmarked mate, it’s getting to her quickly, there’s nothing stopping the poison he injected inside her body” Kyungsoo explained diplomatically, “the only thing that we can do- I’m not even sure if it’s gonna work- is to it out of her”

 

I did not even recognize the fact that Sarang had sat herself beside me and was holding on to Seulmi’s other hand. I did not bother turning my head to see her expression because I was pretty sure I was wearing a mirroring one.


“How?” another voice spoke. I recognized it as Kris’s.

 

Luhan” Kyungsop simply stated.

My head whipped up to look at him and it was then that I realized that everyone was crowding around us. My brothers and the remaining Lynx members were looking seemingly sick in their faces.

 

“Me?” I repeated.

 

Kyungsoo rolled back his sleeves expectedly and took the bowl full of what I would call medicine, “this is Wolfsbane. It’s strong enough to remove the poison from her wound-“

 

WOLFSBANE!?” Tao practically launched himself at the other end of the room, a hiss falling from his lips and his eyes narrowing into threatening slits.

 

Sehun went to put a comforting arm on the other maknae. It was pretty clear as to why he reacted like that. Tao was a young werewolf compared to Kris, Xiumin and I. Even the mention of its name caused a wince from my own face. It was the deadliest poison for us, that one thing that could kill us painfully, with an extremely slow death that would let us writhe in pain for days, months even. The worst part about this Wolfsbane was that we could not identity it even with our supernatural werewolf senses, there was no way of saying whether there was Wolfsbane even if it was right in front of our noses. It was only when someone would plunge it into us that we’d know.

Not a lot of our enemies knew what it even looked like though, which was a good thing for the time being, I guess.

 

“It’s okay, Tao” Suho put his arm around the other shoulder, patting him lightly on the back, “Go into the other room if you feel uncomfortable with this”


“What I’m going to do here Luhan, I’m gonna pour that in okay?” Kyungsoo didn’t let me speak as he continued diplomatically, “She’s gonna feel it and she’s gonna start screaming because of the effect it will have on the poison. You have to it out of her by the vein at her neck. Not where the wound is, just where you can feel her pulse”

 

“What will it do?” Lay quipped from the side.

 

“As Luhan will , all the poison will come out because of the wolfsbane into his mouth. You’ll have to spit that out” he gave me a bowl, ‘ there’s a risk though”

 

“What?” I snapped. Second by second, Seulmi was slipping away more and more from my grasp and right now even though I understood the important of me knowing what had to be done, I couldn’t resist feeling like each passing second was endangering Seulmi’s life.

 

Kyungsoo’s wavering glance at the two alphas did not help the least in my aggravated state. Couldn’t he understand that she was dying right now as he was talking?!

 

“Luhan, t-this is wolfsbane. W-With wolfsbane y-you…” I may die, was that what he wanted to tell me? Then whoop-dee-ing-doo, I knew that already. I didn’t care, as long as my mate was safe.

 

I looked right back at him with a stony gaze so hard and intimidating it made him cower back with wide eyes, “Let’s do it”

 

“Luhan you’re not thinking this through-“ Chen started but I cut him off harshly when my head whipped around to throw him a scowl, “She’s ing dying and you want me to think?! D.O we’re doing this now”

The leaders said nothing as they knew exactly what kind of torment I was going through. They ushered most of the pack out of the room before Kris turned to me with a grave look almost looking like worry on his face.

 

“Be careful, Han” he warned.

 

I nodded and turned back to D.O.
 

“Okay, so Lay and Kai” he called out to the two of them. They instantly made their way over, “I need you to hold her. she’s going to move and thrash and scream a lot. Prepare yourselves to hold her no matter what. She cannot break free”

 

“Luhan” His wide eyes settled on me, “You start the moment I finish pouring wolfsbane in . You’ll have to spit it out as quickly as possible and we continue doing it until you taste her blood becoming clear again, arraso?”

 

“Okay” I replied. Seulmi’s body shifted again so I turned to look at her red-rimmed eyes fluttering open, as if just coming out of a nightmare. I didn’t hesitate to cup her cheek and tilt her head to mine, my silver orbs probing into her own weak maroons and praying that she would be fine and get through this.

 

“Don’t talk. We’re gonna get you through this” I murmured, my hand unconsciously caressing the skin at her cheek. then I made a grab for her hand and interlocked our fingers tightly, “Don’t you dare die on me Park Seulmi. I’ll hate you forever if you do”

 

Although she was weak, a chuckle passed by her lips, “I’m made of tough material”

 

Then, Kyungsoo poured the substance inside and instantly her scream filled my ears. 

 


 

I know it's beeen sooo long since i've updated and I'm really sorry for going MIA like that on you guys :S My exams are approaching and I've got less and less time so I'll probably be on HIATUS from now on because of school and projects and stuff >< But i'll really try updating as much as I can but i don't promise anything. 

 

what do you think of this chappie?! Luhan Seulmi are so cute omg I wanna just squish them together and make them kiss each otherrrr! Luhan's such a brave wolf wanting to die for her, man i wish i had someone like that *le sighs* xD hehe, anyway hope you liked this one! Look forward to the next cause there'll be MORE FLUFFINESS. 

as usual, thanks everyone for loving, commenting and supporting this story! I love you all! <3 :) 

I've also been plotting a new fic in the meantime and yes i know i know i shouldn't be when i have like 2 ongoing stories but i just can't the ideas okay they have to go somewhere... xD 

 

Preview of my new story: 

It had started just as an idea at first.

An idea that soon developed into something more, something that could change the world forever.

 

In one of the farthest provinces of North Korea was a city by the name of Entity, an isolated deserted area where no human being were to be found at the perimeters of its border. The city was unknown to many apart from the North Korean themselves, and because of the uprising and events that were slowly slipping into World War III, they decided to turn it into an army-based camp. Taking children from many family homes and young teens that hadn’t finished their studies, they placed them all in a government system whereby the only way out was to fight your way up the training system in order for you to become an assassin, that was the rule they lived by. Of course, the suicide rates went up by a quadruple amount after that. Individuals that couldn’t stand the government’s harsh environment killed themselves to be free, while others would not find solace anywhere. Back at Entity, no one was your friend, or your ally. It was you and you alone. It was impossible to make friends and gain relationships because of all the treason they had learned to do. Lies, spins and webs of lies could easily fall out of their mouth as simple as a ‘good morning’.

 

Everything had been fine then. The training system kept growing and becoming stronger, the test laboratories kept finding new cures and unbeatable weapons that could help oneself in battle, but not until they found out the ultimatum that would help them take over the world.

 

Emotions.

 

Emotions were the key to failure, they presumed. Emotions were the way whereby many individuals would sacrifice themselves; emotions were the way to kill someone if it was wished.

 

Emotions helped people understand, sympathize, help each other.

 

And that was, indeed, what they didn’t need in this society.

 

Filtrating the particular substance into the water filters, the government watched as the society slowly turned into something they hadn’t been expecting at all. People stopped communicating with each other, people stopped caring. During battles, they’d be merciless they would kill their opponents within a blink of an eye. As they watched the final evaluation stages and kept an eye on the ones ripping over’s throats out, they had turned and nodded their heads at each other. They had found it, the key to success, the key of ruling the world.

 

And that was how they founded this Soulless, Emotionless City.

Entity

........

 

"I have a personal mission for you" 

Him? A personal mision? It did not make any sense. He was only a CUb and had never even been on a personal mission before. It was something kept betwen the higher classes of the Terminal. 

"You expect too much from me"

"No one can be taught how to deal with them. You only suffer the consequences alone" 

A fighter never gave up, never feared anything. 

They were brave. 

 

---------

 

What do you think on it? :) Please give feedback and what do you think it is talking about and who is the main lead? GUESS! :)