Chapter Ten

As Twisted as Crossroads ('Tied To A Child' Side story)

 

This is what a lynx looks like btw :3 they're huge cats basically: 

 

   

 


 

Luhan’s arms tightened around Seulmi’s small frame, his chin making sure to tuck her head underneath so that she wouldn’t be spotted by the pack. Somehow, having her by his side calmed him down. He felt her tense shoulder as she leaned in to him for the first time ever since he met her and for once loved the fact that she needed his presence next to her. There were seven members of the strange pack that he identified in the dark; four boys and three girls.

 

“Lynx” Kris greeted formally, but with an edge to his voice. The hairs on the back of Luhan’s neck stood up on end.

 

“Fancy meeting a pack of werewolves here,” another individual from the opposing pack sneered.

 

“What is your business here?” Suho’s voice, unlike the angelic tone he always used, was strong and firm.

 

“Oh you know, we were having fun in the woods-“

 

“Throwing a party-“

 

“-And then we smelt you guys-“

 

Enough.” One of them shut the group up and stepped forward. He seemed to be the leader by the way he silenced them so easily. Luhan felt a growl rise at the back of his throat but restrained himself because of the girl in his arms. Although it was dark, Luhan’s night vision depicted the individual with ease; he was of an average height with a snapback placed on his head, his eyes fierce and tough while his lips were full and firm. He looked like he was ready to tackle anybody at any moment. Luhan smelt power and responsibility in his essence, which surprisingly didn’t contain any threatening aspect. No wonder they were able to cross the holy barrier, he thought in dismay.

 

“We’ve been sent to scout the area around here for safety purposes. Something came up-“ A gust of wind had him sniffing the air then, cutting off his sentence. His eyes narrowed and Luhan felt the recognition in his eyes, “Mates?” He murmured more to himself.

 

Unconsciously, the silver wolf’s grip tightened around his own, a slow growl making a rise towards his throat and threatening to burst out of his lips any time now.

 

“We have something to tell you” the Lynx pack leader stated while casting a cursory glance around, eyeing each individual before they came to a rest on Luhan. The latter narrowed his eyes threateningly and hugged Seulmi closer to his chest. He didn’t know why he was behaving this way especially when he was sure that Lynxes weren’t really interested in their idea of bonding, but somehow a whiff of protection came over Luhan, he had to protect Seulmi from whatever they were.

 

Suho surprised everyone by breaking into the familiar gentle smile of his, “Is this something to do with the pack leaders?”

 

The lynx pack leader nodded before stepping forward once again and extending his arm out. The muscles on his arm bulged to show that he wasn’t one to be joked around with. “My name’s B.I. You can call me Kim Hanbin”


“By the way, we’re vegetarian. Just saying,” A member of the Lynx pack exclaimed, bouncing up from behind his leader and wrapping an arm around his shoulder. The irony of the member being taller and much more intimidating than the one leading himself seemed to remind Luhan of Suho, and somehow his muscles relaxed somewhat, but not entirely.

 

“I’m Suho and this is Kris” The said boy introduced himself with another flash of his smile, this time a bit wider and more welcoming. The tension seemed to have dissipated with the wind of the night and when Kris gave the signal to the other werewolves to return back to their house, Luhan made sure to stay behind his mate at all times. Granted, he understood that the least they could do was lend their home to their fellow Lynx guests but the problem laid in the fact that he couldn’t smell them. They did not reek of anything or if they did, they covered it up nicely so that nothing could be detected. It was somehow unnerving for the silver wolf and this did little to calm down his tense posture. He wasn’t about to let his guard down when strangers surrounded his mate.

 

Vegetarian or not.

 

“Don’t worry about us, we can sleep on the porch” The tall boy said with an accompanying grin. He bowed towards the wary group of werewolves, “I’m Bobby Kim, by the way”

 

“I’m Kim Jinwhan” another short boy introduced while nudging the boy next to him. He had fierce looking eyebrows and reminded Luhan of gangsters that roamed around deserted alleyways waiting for innocent girls like the erts they were. He rolled his eyes and grumbled something like, “I’m Goo Junhoe”

 

Luhan didn’t even bother trying to put a name to the face of each of the girls that introduced themselves right after that just because he wasn’t interested. Instead, he looked around and panicked upon failing to see Seulmi’s usual pokerface stand out at him from the small group they had settled themselves in the living room. But then, a sniff of the air told him that she was in the kitchen preparing beverages for the said guests.

 

“You guys have quite a big pack” Bobby looked around like he was genuinely amazed, “And I see some have mated already. Congratulations!”

 

Another flash of his too-white teeth and Luhan swore he’d punch the living daylights out of this a-little-bit-too-optimistic boy.

 

“We’re still a rookie pack of eight members, just started actually” he continued rambling on while the wolves sent each other wary glances, not really sure whether they could trust them. “Only B.I hyung and Jinwhan have found their mates. The rest of us are y, single and free. One of our pack members couldn’t come tonight, but enough with us! I’ve never met a wolf pack in real life!”

 


 


 

 

Chanyeol burst out laughing from the other room and I wondered what was so funny that the atmosphere had turned a 360-degree because really it was just so damn awkward. The wolves had all been on their guards, I could see that by the way they all stood clustered next to each other and didn’t blink, like statues, I thought with a shudder. Haerim passed me a tray where I placed all the cups of hot chocolate before clumsily balancing it towards the other room.

 

I was nearly there until my foot got stuck on the carpeted flooring. Before I could scream out in protest, Kyungsoo had whipped around to hold the other side of the tray.

“Thanks” I muttered as the boy sent me a shy smile, grabbing the tray from my hold and distributing it faster that I could even walk.

 

“This guy’s too funny, I can’t” Chanyeol kept wheezing with laughter, holding his stomach before reaching across to fist bump Bobby’s outstretched knuckles, “You’re cool, kid”

 

I blinked, since when had they become so friendly? Just now they had practically been at each other’s throats.

Oh gosh, the mystery of canines, I sighed to myself as I settled down next to Sarang.

 

Conversation flowed pretty easily right after that, and soon enough everyone was busy chatting to each other, awkward conversations thrown about to result in some kind of comfortable ambiance. I tried ignoring Luhan’s intense stare that could burn my face down and instead focused on Bobby’s jokes. The other two boys kept silent, probably still weary that they were in a room filled with threatening wolves, but the girls were okay, they made an effort to talk and act nicely. Throughout the night, I remembered that Luhan had definitely snatched me up without giving me time to tell my mother anything, and frantically I removed my phone from my pocket to check, eyes widening a the amount of text messages and miscalls.

 

30 messages. 54 misscalls.

 

Great. I was in for some kind of the moment I stepped foot back into that threshold. Sighing, I decided to at least send her a message about me having to do a project at Sarang’s house and decided that I should sleepover since we weren’t about to finish that project so soon, but once my fingers pressed onto the ‘send’ button, I took a glance at the clock and realized that it was already past 1:20 a.m. There was no way my mother would still be awake.

Oh well, I was almost eighteen anyway, didn’t make a difference.

 

One by one, the wolves decided to retreat into their rooms while the Lynx members said that they could manage with a sofa thank you very much.

 

“Considering that those past three days we’ve been running about and sleeping on the ground, I can almost worship a sofa right now” Bobby had wittily replied back so that everyone laughed.

 

As I started for the stairs, I noticed Luhan’s figure standing by the corridor with his head tilted towards the window, probably waiting for Kris and Suho’s arrival. Oh well, was he going to stay there all night?

 

“Luhan” I called softly so as not to disturb others, though with a house full of wolves it would be weird if one of them couldn’t hear me. But hopefully the rooms were soundproof. Well they had to right? With the wolves’ hormones running wild during every full moon.

 

He turned to me. Argh, can’t he like wash his face or something? The sight was too disgusting to watch, his face looked like it had been thrown around like a basketball.  

 

“Aren’t you…going to sleep?” I ventured, trying not to act too concerned for I knew that if I did the boy would probably mock me.

 

He turned his head back to the window, and replied, “I’m waiting for Kris and Suho”

 

I cleared my throat awkwardly then decided that it was his problem. Turning back towards the stairs, I was about to go up when guilt flooded me. Was I really going to leave him there all alone? Watching the door like the poor guard dog? He needed sleep too. Sometimes, I really couldn’t understand my own heart, why was I suddenly taking his side? God! Seulmi you re not becoming soft you hear me?!

I sighed; it was no use battling against my own feelings. Therefore, I turned back and went to grab at his arm, “Come”

 

“H-Huh?” If I knew better, I would’ve said that his stutter was cute. But no, Park Seulmi did not find things cute, oh the hell to the no.

 

“Did you see your face? It looks like you just crawled out of a morgue” I hissed back. For a moment, I felt really powerful by the way Luhan flinched back like a little boy. Dragging him to the kitchen, I took out the first aid kit on the top shelf and ran a small washcloth under the tap water. Making him sit on one of the high bar stools; I cupped his face in between my hands and violently pulled him to me, inspecting every corner of his perfect skin that has been damaged. What I really hated the most was that they dare lay a hand on his face – his face for god’s sake, it was a work of art- it was really annoying especially when I thought he was supposed to be one of the most powerful wolves of the pack. Ha, if I didn’t know better, I’d probably say I was stronger than him.

 

With swift movements, I started cleaning his wounds thoroughly starting with his nose. A hiss left his mouth when I pressed a cotton swab onto the injury, causing me to look up at him and ask, “Does it hurt?”

 

He nodded. I smirked, “Good. That’s what you get for messing with your face”

 

The glare he sent me was enough to tell me that he was more than a little annoyed by my dominance in the matter, but I decided that ignoring him was the best remedy. Putting a plaster onto his nose bridge, I then moved to his lips and started applying ointment at the corner, trying my best to stop the blue-black bruise from spreading over his pale flesh like paint. I was so focused on getting my work done that didn’t realize just how close we were. It was only when my hip brushed his inner thigh that I felt an electric tingle shoot up my spine, causing me to jump slightly and flutter my gaze up to his. His eyes were on me, gazing at me with such intensity that it was a surprise I didn’t squirm away. They held so much emotion, like he was watching my every movement just to drink in my essence, my very soul. His irises flashed with silver, swirling and spinning like they had no end to them while I gulped in nervousness at the prospect of being that close to him.

 

Unconsciously, my eyes fell to his lips again and I swore I felt him take a deep breath, his entire body stilling.

 

Almost clumsily, i brushed my index finger once more over his split lip and pulled back harshly, “FINISHED! I told you-“

 

He grabbed onto my hips before I had a chance to escape and my body crashed into his, his legs trapping me from my escape.

 

What. The. .

Oh my god, oh my ing god. This is NOT happening.

 

“Uh-what do you think you’re-“ I cut off in mid-shriek when he pulled me even closer so that our noses touched. My eyes widened like saucers and I think my brain stopped processing the fact that I still had to breathe. Not knowing where to place my hands, I used them to push at his shoulders lightly.

 

“Yah, get off-“

“Will you shut the up.” He growled, his chest rumbling while I jumped at the sudden change in his tone. Was it just I, or did his voice drop down a few octaves? He continued gazing at me like I had grown five heads, and yet although I didn’t want to admit it to myself, there was something clearly endearing with the look in his eyes. I felt my cheeks grow warm as the time ticked by. It felt like years as the silence settled over us like a thick blanket of awkwardness.

 

The silver-eyed wolf leaned closer so suddenly I felt my body lurch backwards on it’s own accord.

 

His eyebrows furrowed slightly, “Wow” he breathed with a devilish look in his eyes.

 

I mirrored his look, “Bwoh?”

 

“Even up close,” He breathed, a smirk sliding onto his face, “You look scary, sweetheart

 

My irritation fired up at his statement. “Yah you little-“ Pushing myself away from him with all the force I had, my leg shot out to hit his shin when he suddenly grabbed onto my waist once again, bringing me over a surprising pair of lips landed on my forehead.

 

“Thanks” He murmured, pulling back. There was no arrogance, no mischief swimming in his brown orbs. I stared and kept staring like he was the one losing his head. The fire in my cheeks sprung up and I was pretty sure that he could identify them even though it was dark.

 

“Ahem”

 

I practically launched myself out of Luhan’s arms and pressed my back against the opposing counter, trying to put as much distance in between me and the silver eyed wolf as we both turned our heads towards the voice. Lay stood there with a teasing smile on his face, crossing his arms other his chest and looking at Luhan with a ‘there’s something you’re not telling me’ look.


“A-Ah- I was just- Ahem- Yeah- G-going” I stumbled my way through a series of mumbled apologies and quickly dashed past the two boys.

 

Oh god. What the was wrong with him?!

 


 


 

“Well” Lay said, walking up to the silver-eyed wolf and taking a seat next to him, the soft smile never leaving his face. Truthfully, it had taken him quite by surprise to see these two getting very cozy with each other, but then he decided that it was better than having them at each other’s throats. It was definitely a sight that he could get accustomed to; Luhan with a girl. More importantly, it was funny to see Luhan getting all smitten about one girl when throughout all those years he kept spouting nonsense about always being single because that was the way of life, unlike being tied down by one woman, he had scoffed one day. Lay had had to restrain Kris’s fist from breaking his face in two because of that insult.

 

But Luhan was changing.

 

“Well,” He repeated again, this time looking at the said boy. “Aren’t you going to say anything?’

 

“There’s nothing to say” Luhan argued back a bit too quickly.

Lay raised a brow, “Really? Then what was that with Park Seulmi a few seconds ago? I know my memory Han, but not my eyesight”

 

“Shut up” The latter snapped, jaw clenched. Lay burst out laughing and dropped a hand onto his brother’s shoulder, “Why are you so jumpy?”

 

“I-I’m not!”

 

“The Luhan I know never even blinked at a woman before,” Lay shot back with a satisfied face, “So spill. You’re starting to accept her, aren’t you?”

 

Luhan bit his lip and bowed his head, hands clenching into fists, “I don’t know”

 

Lay raised a brow and urged him to continue. The other boy ruffled his hair and looked up at the ceiling with a sigh, “I guess I’m just scared”

 

“Scared that she’d leave you? Or scared that you’ll fall head over heels for her?” Lay laughed once more when Luhan reached over to punch his shoulder in response of his teasing.

 

“A little bit of both” He admitted.

 

“Relax gege, you shouldn’t be so hard on her” Lay leaned back to place his elbows on the table, “After all, I can tell she cares about you”

 

“No she doesn’t” Luhan snorted.

 

“Well she sacrificed her sleep to clean up your wounds. That says something”

 

Luhan shrugged, “Not keeping my hopes up”

 

He acted like it didn’t affect him at all when in truth, every day, every single ing day, he couldn’t keep his thoughts off her, her face, her eyes. Those eyes, he thought to himself, they were so fierce and calculating, and yet, they held a soft light that told him that she was hiding away secrets, hiding the pain from him.

 

At this particular moment, they smelt Kris and Suho opening the door, and instantly stiffened when the Lynx leader followed them inside the foyer.

 

“We need to talk” Kris said.


Updated! :3 How do you like Luhan and Seulmi's progression?? 

Ahhh...and don't forget it's going to be the full moon soon ;) hehehe..... wonder what's gonna happen~ 

Anyway, if you guys don't know, IKON is YG's rookie group that were supposed to debut this year (PAPA YG BETTER DEBUT THEM AFTER EVERYTHING THEY'VE GONE THROUGH) so yeah, they're really awesome check them out! 

P.S: KIM HANBIN IS GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF ME.