First Impressions Are Golden

Pure-blood With A Pure Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Put me in Slytherin.” Kyungsoo said firmly. His eyeballs shot up to the roof of his eyes and he stared at the Sorting Hat above him, willing it to grant him his wish. “I see you have a point to prove, my boy. Slytherin will bring you much greatness, much as you would bring to them likewise. Pity about the red and gold, though green and silver will bring out the best in you. Know the rumors but keep in mind what lies within, for only few can see the true being that is you.” Kyungsoo quirked an eyebrow, what in merlin’s beard does that mean? Oh well… A short pause followed before the Sorting Hat declared, “SLYTHERIN!”

 

A rush of satisfaction and a tiny bit of sadness filled Kyungsoo, though he did not regret his decision one bit. He saw the flash of shock and hurt rolling across Baekhyun’s face. Much like practically everyone in the hall, his brother’s jaw had dropped and he was rendered speechless. A Do had just been sorted into a house that was not Gryffindor. Sorted into Slytherin no less. As he walked across the hall to the Slytherin table where Chanyeol was waiting with a great big smile, he heard the rumors flying again. Apparently, his decision to join Slytherin was the final nail in the coffin suggesting that the second son of the Minister had indeed turned to the dark side. “Betrayed the family name!” “Told you he was into the Dark Arts!” Such were some fine examples that Kyungsoo tried to ignore as Chanyeol enveloped him into a suffocating hug when he reached the table. “He’s so scary… look at his mean face!” Kyungsoo smirked, Oh yes… be afraid. Be very afraid muahaha. (Cue internal cynical laughter)

 

“Welcome to Slytherin, fellow badass!” Chanyeol smirked. Dinner commenced almost immediately. Kyungsoo knew people were still staring at him, more notably his brother. A slight raise of his head confirmed this. Baekhyun was staring holes into Kyungsoo’s face as Luhan who was seated beside him glared. Guess Luhan’s not fond of Slytherins. Though Baekhyun’s hurt face saddened him, Kyungsoo would still have chosen Slytherin if given another chance. Kyungsoo stared fixedly into his brother’s eyes; I hope you understand and respect my decision. He broke eye contact and scoffed at Chanyeol, who was inhaling an enormous amount of food into his mouth. “Slow down! You’ll choke!” Kyungsoo warned. Right on cue, Chanyeol sputtered and coughed out chunks of meat, disgusting those in his vicinity. “S-Sorry!” The poor boy coughed out, “I was afraid the house elves would clear the food away you see.” Just as he reached out for a drumstick, the plates disappeared, signaling the end of dinner. “Awww! What did I tell you…” Chanyeol groaned.

 

A Prefect led them to the Slytherin Common Room after dinner. Slytherins were housed down in the Dungeons, unlike Gryffindors in the Gryffindor Tower; Ravenclaws in Ravenclaw Tower; and Hufflepuffs in the basement of the castle. It was especially cold and dark in the Slytherin Common Room, surely a reflection of the characteristics of typical Slytherins. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were ecstatic to find themselves rooming together in the same room. Well, Chanyeol more than Kyungsoo really. “Bestie!” Chanyeol yelled and clung onto Kyungsoo making kissy faces, as the said boy scowled and tried to remove the human koala from his side. When they entered their room, they noticed that there were three beds… one was already occupied by a pale-face blond. The boy stared expressionlessly at them, judging the compromising position the two boys were in. Not wanting to embarrass himself further, Kyungsoo dumped Chanyeol onto the floor and introduced himself to his new roommate.

 

“Hi. I’m Do Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol sprung up from the floor and extended his hand too, “I’m Chanyeol. ‘Sup bro!” Chanyeol made an inverted peace sign and waited for the other to respond. Kyungsoo wanted to ask, “What the hell does ‘sup bro mean”, but he held his tongue instead. The other boy ignored Chanyeol’s homie greeting and replied with a curt, “Oh Sehun.” Ohhh… He’s a member of the Oh Family. The Ohs were like the Do family, except that they had a rich Slytherin history instead. They were once accused of being Deatheaters, back when Voldemort was still alive. Though the Ministry cleared them of all charges, many still suspect and remain wary of them. Chanyeol straightened out from his pose after realizing no one was going to return his homie fist-bump and chuckled awkwardly. “I’m offended that you guys don’t know the homie greeting yo!” Kyungsoo and Sehun blinked, having not understood most of what Chanyeol had just said. “Muggle-born.” Kyungsoo mouthed at Sehun while rotating a finger beside his temple with his wide-eyed stare. He’s crazy. Go with the flow. It seemed to work as Sehun nodded in understanding.

 

Just then, something big and brown caught their attention. Kyungsoo blinked in shock, rooted in his spot, whereas Chanyeol let out an ear-piercing unmanly scream and hurled his body across the room. “What the hell is that?” Chanyeol shivered and pointed while hiding behind a coat stand. A freaking coat stand. Chanyeol was mortified at the tarantula crawling on Sehun’s head. Sehun blinked in response before wrapping his hand around the spider and propping it onto his palm. “Monster.” Oh Sehun is a man of few words, Kyungsoo concluded. Chanyeol freaked out at that and screeched demonically, “I KNOW IT’S A MONSTER! LOOK AT ITS FANGS! IT’S GOING TO EAT ME! SAVE ME BESTIE!” Why me? Kyungsoo scowled.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes, “He’s my pet tarantula, you idiot. His name is Monster.” Wow, that’s the longest I’ve heard him speak. Chanyeol stepped forward hesitantly, “You’re sure he’s your pet called Monster and not a Monster disguised as your pet called Monster?” The two boys barely understood his rambling. What??? Again, Kyungsoo rotated his finger beside his temple in the ‘he’s crazy, go with the flow’ way, and Sehun nodded in agreement.

 

After reassuring Chanyeol that Monster wasn’t going to eat him in his sleep and his pet ferret would also be safe, the three boys settled in for the night. Kyungsoo didn’t sleep soundly, the sad eyes of his brother boring deep into his soul ensured that. It was dawn when they had to wake for breakfast before their early morning lesson. Kyungsoo, Chanyeol and Sehun had the exact same timetable on top of being roommates; so to say that the three boys would be seeing a lot of each other would be the understatement of the century.

 

“Stop glaring at everyone.” Chanyeol whispered to Kyungsoo, the said boy being flanked by the two tall pillars of Chanyeol and Sehun as they walked into the great hall. “I’m not glaring!” Kyungsoo hissed, though the eye bags and permanent scowl etched on his face would disagree. “This is my default face.” Sehun let out a distinctive expressionless “Ha!” that had both Chanyeol and Kyungsoo reeling in shock. “What?” Sehun glanced warily at the two. “Was that Oh Sehun laughing?” Chanyeol questioned. “It was hardly laughing now was it? I mean it’s a monosyllabic HA.” Kyungsoo deadpanned. “Ha Ha. Two syllables… there you go.” Sehun retorted. “BURN!” Chanyeol cackled at Kyungsoo. The said boy wondered if the taller literally meant for Kyungsoo to combust on the spot or he was using one of his muggle terminologies again.

 

“Anyways, as I was saying… this really is my default face.” Kyungsoo glared at Chanyeol, who shook his head fervently. “No way. That’s your ‘get lost for I am freaking pissed and will murder you in your sleep’ face!” Kyungsoo gritted his teeth. Maybe I should murder you in your sleep then, Park Chanyeol. The three settled into their house’s seats and started on breakfast. The flutter of wings sounded across the great hall as tons of Owls did their morning duty. “Look! Do Baekhyun got a freaking Howler!” That passing comment got the attention of Kyungsoo. He swiveled so fast in his seat, that he nearly shoved the spoon Chanyeol was using, up the poor boy’s nostril. Howlers were red letters enchanted with the sender’s voice conveying the message, most often a scolding of some sort.

 

Kyungsoo and practically everyone in the hall stared at a trembling Baekhyun, who reached out for the letter hesitantly. Do Baekhyun was one of the most popular kids in school attributed to the high status of his family in the wizardry hierarchy, and he was extremely well liked due to his friendly personality. It was almost unimaginable that the golden boy would receive a Howler… and yet we have the present. Baekhyun opened the red letter hovering in front of his face after Luhan flashed him an encouraging look. His father wasn’t shouting in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter