Act of Defiance

Pure-blood With A Pure Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you all for your kind words! So many commented and a big THANK YOU to those that upvoted. Love you alll ^^ Hope you'll enjoy the first chapter! 

It was the last weekend before school holidays ended and lessons resumed, at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was also the last weekend for people who tended to leave things to the last minute, to make a dash down to Diagon Alley to assemble all the necessary materials needed for school. Amidst the rush of the adult wizards and witches dragging their kids along to grab robes and textbooks, there were two unsupervised boys trying to see past people’s waists and safely make their way out of the human rush.  

 

The two boys were hand in hand, with their long cloaks hiding most of their faces. It was necessary to not draw attention to them, after all, their father was a prominent public figure and they themselves were well-known despite their young age. The older of the two gripped onto the other boy’s hand tightly, determined to not lose his beloved brother. “Don’t let go Kyungie!” The shorter (only by a centimeter really) hummed and nodded. “Isn’t that Ollivanders, Baekie?” Seeing that his brother was right, Baekhyun dragged Kyungsoo out from the crowd and entered the shop.

 

“Hello my boys. Who do I have the pleasure to serve today? I have the best wands here, I’m sure I can get you guys something!” Mr. Ollivander welcomed them with a booming voice. The two boys pulled down their cloaks, revealing their faces. “Oh my! What a pleasure to see you again Baekhyun!” The elder’s eyes widened and he beamed at the two adorable faces. “You’re here for your brother’s wand? Nice to meet you Kyungsoo.” He shook Kyungsoo’s hand enthusiastically. “First year at Hogwarts right? You’re going to love it there!” Kyungsoo smiled shyly and accepted the wand Mr. Ollivander picked out for him. It took a total of three tries, a couple of busted windows and shattered shelves, before the two made their way out of the store with a 12" wand made of chestnut wood with a phoenix hair core. Together, they managed to secure robes, books, and other necessary items before splurging on snacks with their leftover money.

 

“Let’s get this bag of candy for Soojung, Baekie!” Kyungsoo waved a bag of every flavor beans in the air. “Ssshhh!” Baekhyun shushed the boy by stuffing a palm to his mouth, before glancing around furtively. “Daddy said not to mention Soojung’s name in public!” Kyungsoo frowned. He had always disapproved of their family keeping his baby sister’s existence a secret. She was a squib; not having magical powers doesn’t make her a monster or an unspeakable liability. After all, the Do family was one of the greatest names in Gryffindor history; the boys’ ancestors all make up one of the most influential family lines alive today. Their father, the great Minister for Magic, refused to let Soojung out of the house… keeping her existence a secret from the public eye. He was afraid that a squib would taint the family’s legacy. Kyungsoo was extremely protective over his sister and hated his father for painting Soojung as an embarrassment.

 

Baekhyun felt Kyungsoo’s anger rising at the injustice their sister faced, through his clenched jaw and tight grasp on his hand. He sighed and started to blabber about useless topics to get his brother’s mind off this issue. The minute they reached the huge mansion they called home, Kyungsoo shook off Baekhyun’s hand and ran in search of his sister, with the bag of sweet goodies in hand. His search proved fruitless though, for the girl wasn’t at home. “Baekie! Soojung isn’t home!” Kyungsoo frowned. “Maybe she’s at the park playing on her favorite swings?” Baekhyun shrugged, “She’ll be fine… don’t worry”. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and stepped out of the house, running the rest of the way to the neighboring park. It was the furthest their father allowed her to roam.

 

As he neared, he spotted a group of buff older boys crowding around something. It was only when that thing let out a pitiful cry of help that he realized it was a group of bullies having their way with his beloved Soojung. “What are you doing?!” He yelled and pushed pass the boys before standing protectively in front of his sister. He glared at the boys as Soojung clutched onto his back, crying into his shoulder. “Protecting your useless sister, Do Kyungsoo?” The tallest boy sneered. “Who knew the Do’s had a squib in their family…” The rest of the boys erupted in fits of laughter. Kyungsoo covered Soojung’s ears to block out the criticisms and whipped out his wand, pointing it menacing at the boys.

 

The group growled and took out their own wands. “You’re not even at school yet, and you think you can beat five year threes?” Their leader smirked. A jet of red light whipped out from Kyungsoo’s wand, narrowly missing after the intended target diverted his attempt with his own wand. Everyone stared wide-eyed at him. Kyungsoo himself was shocked at what he just did; it was hatred that consumed his mind that resulted in him letting out the spell unknowingly. The bully took a tentative step forward but Kyungsoo forced him back with another jet of blue light this time. Enraged, the five boys gathered together and an unexpected duel was born.

 

Kyungsoo was doing superbly well for someone that had just gotten his wand, and against five older boys no less. He was a natural. He heard distant screaming before Baekhyun entered the fray. Soojung grabbed onto Baekhyun as he tugged on Kyungsoo’s arm to stop him. “Stop it, Kyungie! You’re not allowed to use magic outside school! The Ministry will hear of this!” Kyungsoo knew the underlying meaning of it: Father will hear about this. But Kyungsoo was too far gone in his anger and proceeded to knock out two boys before the wizards from the Ministry arrived. By then, the other three boys had ran away and the Do siblings were faced with two reprimanding faces. Before they could drag Kyungsoo away for the use of underage magic, then came the dreaded arrival of the Minister for Magic himself.

 

Mr. Do said a few words to his colleagues before they disapparated away with the two unconscious bullies. The glare on their father’s face was more than enough to make them shrivel on the spot. He waited till they were out of public eye and in their family home before turning on the trio. “What were you thinking?!” Kyungsoo flinched at his father’s tone while Soojung sobbed beside him. “They were some of the senior officials’ sons! How dare you attack them?” Kyungsoo glared back, “They were bullying Soojung. I had to do something!” Mr. Do fixed his daughter a steely look before sending her to her room. “Don’t you dare come out from there after all the trouble you caused. You’re a shame to our family!”

 

That did it. Soojung ran and hid in her room as Kyungsoo and Baekhyun turned against their father. “Don’t you dare talk to her like that!” Kyungsoo yelled. Baekhyun, on the other hand, was trying to settle this with words instead. “Now I have to go and do damage control. Do you know how hard it is to not let out a word of a squib in my family?” Mr. Do yelled exasperatedly. “Is that all you care about? The family’s name instead of your own daughter?” Kyungsoo sneered. A few more jabbing words at his sister’s inability caused Kyungsoo to snap and he used his wand against his own father. Mr. Do started to rain punches on his second son’s body as Baekhyun tried to break the fight up. “We’re a family of great wizards! There’s no place for an abomination like her.” Kyungsoo let out a loud roar and jumped onto his father, kicking weakly at his sides. His father knocked Kyungsoo out with a stunning spell as Baekhyun spat harsh words at him while dragging his unconscious brother to their shared room.

 

Kyungsoo woke up a little while later, immediately searching for his sister’s presence. His entire body was littered with bruises, most noticeably a large cut near the edge of his mouth where his father had landed a harsh punch. “Just bear with him for today, Kyungie. We’ll be at Hogwarts tomorrow.” Baekhyun tended to his wounds. “I don’t care about me. What about Soojung? She’ll be all alone in this stupid home, it will drive her mad!” Kyungsoo peered up at his older brother. “There’s nothing we can do.” He sighed, “At least there’s Sulyn here to keep her company.” Baekhyun pointed out their housemaid. Kyungsoo tugged at his hair before falling ungracefully onto the bed. “I hate him so much.” Kyungsoo sighed. Baekhyun laid beside his brother, “ I wish mother was here.” The younger hummed in agreement.

 

 

 

The next morning, Kyungsoo bade a tearful farewell to his sister. His father wasn’t at home, and Kyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter