Deception

Thieves Before the Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 6 – Deception~

            As the two youngest members of Infinite make it to the ramen shop, they notice that Sunggyu had decided to close it for the day so they go in from the back door where they're met with the sight of everyone gathered around Sungyeol at one of the tables.

            "Hey we're here, what's going on?" asks Sungjong as he joins the others with Myungsoo right behind him.

            "Flash drive has been decoded and there's some pretty interesting stuff about the Jewel of Destiny on it," answers Sungyeol as he pulls up a map with a blinking dot on it, "But more about that a little later, we need to talk about this."

            "Is that W. Im's tracker location?" wonders Sungjong as he takes a look at the screen.

            "It is, apparently after the casino you guys met him at W. Im decided to visit another casino hotel to meet up with some more clients," explains Woohyun.

            "Okay? And what does that have to do with anything?" questioned Sungjong.

            Recognition flashes across Myungsoo's face as he takes a closer look at the map displayed, "Wait, is that the same hotel that's run by the two tycoons who also run the blueprint database that we get most of our prints from?"

            Sunggyu nods, "Yup the very ones."

            "So are they on his side through all this?"

            "That is something we all don't know yet."

            "Then how-"

            "Now it's my turn to explain to you what I've found on the flash drive," interrupts Sungyeol as he pulls up a data log, "It's pretty interesting stuff I didn't even know some of this existed like this data log of bids that's going for the Jewel of Destiny, it has all the names of the prominent figures in the black market. Even the people we've worked with are on this list, the two tycoons included, this jewel for whatever reason is really sought after in the underground probably because it'd fetch for an enormous amount."

            "All these people want the Jewel of Destiny?" Myungsoo scrolled down the list and took note of all the familiar names logged onto it.

            Sungjong peeks over Myungsoo shoulder for a better look, "You said that the more prominent figures of the black market are all over this list right? Those prominent figures also run big companies and things don't they?"

            "Some do, some don't, it depends on the individuals, why? You have an idea or something?" replies Sungyeol.

            "Mmm sort of, maybe some of the people on the list who are high profile want the gems for themselves to show off. Like a sort of publicity stunt, where they try to attract attention by showing off a legendary stone," answered Sungjong.

            "That's…"

            "Not very far off from what could happen. I mean if you really think about it, it has to be someone that has the money and resources to freely use as they please a.k.a. a person who is high profiled and has more than enough money to throw every which way and obviously enough money to where they can silence all the media to the point where they can also come up with some sort of cover story as to how the jewel came into their possession.. It also has to be someone that knows W. Im since he's the one who had the jewel hidden," adds on Myungsoo.

            "Yeah, so let's say that this may be the case for the jewel, the next question would be who are the ones we have to outsmart in order to steal the jewel before they do?" wonders Hoya.

            "It'll have to be someone who's currently rising in the ranks of the black market and are as familiar to stealing as we are," notes Dongwoo.

            Woohyun shakes his head, "There's too many people to narrow it down if we look at it like that."

            "So what now?" asks Sungjong as the silence hangs in the air for a moment.

            Sunggyu sighs and pulls the map back up on Sungyeol's computer, "We'll have to do a stake out then and infiltrate the hotel under disguise the same time that W. Im decides to take a visit. The two tycoons are the only ones from the black market that we have frequent contact with so it's mostly likely in out best interest to figure out what sort of business W. Im has with them."

            "So what do we do now? Bug the tycoons' office?" asks Sungjong with wary, he's not really up for anymore bugging or tracking assignments.

            "You won't be doing any bugging if that's what you're thinking, it'll be Woohyun and I who will do that," answers Sunggyu.

            "Oh okay-"

            "Then you and Myungsoo can do the stake out and listen in for what W. Im and the two tycoons are discussing. Sungyeol managed to get information on W. Im's schedule and he's scheduled to make a reappearance there tonight."

            Sungjong's relieved expression switches quickly into one of disbelief, "What!? I can't stake out a hotel all night long! I have homework and things to do too!"

            "You can always bring it with you," says Dongwoo in attempt to help the situation.

            Sungjong pouts, "But it's heavy."

            "Then make Myungsoo carry it," volunteers Hoya as he shoves the unsuspecting Myungsoo forward.

            "What!?"

            "Ew, why is your jacket wet?" complains Hoya as he wipes his hand on his pants.

            Myungsoo and Sungjong unexpectedly blush at the mention of the wet jacket as they remember the incident.

            "Nothing," reply Myungsoo and Sungjong quickly in unison.

            The two give each other a look.

            "It rained this morning-"

            "Water was splashed by accident-"

            Myungsoo and Sungjong stopped speaking when they realized they were just talking over each other and shot the other another look.

            "Wait so what happened?" asks Sungyeol completely confused over what the two youngest were blabbering about.

            "It rained this morning and while we were walking Myungsoo got splashed with water," explained Sungjong quickly before Myungsoo could open his mouth to contradict anything. There was no way they were going to tell the others about the whole bike thing.

            Myungsoo nodded along, agreeing to whatever excuse Sungjong came up with, "Yeah, that's what happened."

            The other five stared at Myungsoo and Sungjong with blank expressions.

            "Did my ears just deceive me?" gasped Sungyeol dramatically.

            Sungjong raises an eyebrow at the remark. Was their excuse too unbelievable?

            "No because I think I heard it too," adds in Hoya.

            "Me too!" pipes up Dongwoo with a bright grin.

            Woohyun brings a hand up and covers his mouth dramatically as he says in a muffled voice, "I can't believe it."

            "What? What's wrong with all of you? You're all so weird right now," asks Sungjong as Myungsoo also looks at their friends in confusion.

            "We're being weird? You two actually agreed on something without breaking into an argument! Actually you two even lasted the whole meeting without arguing in general! Oh my gawd! What in the world is going on today!? Did you two actually resolve your differences while spending the first part of the day together!? You didn't even send me pics every hour like I said!" exclaims Sunggyu with his best mock shocked expression.

            Sungjong opened his mouth to retaliate but stopped when he Sunggyu's words sunk in, 'Didn't send pics? But I thought Myungsoo-'

            "That's what you're all freaking out over?" Myungsoo rolls his eyes as he tries to play the entire thing off as though it wasn't a big deal, "You wanted us to stop arguing and we did, isn't that good enough?"

            The others scrutinized the two with disbelieving looks.

            "And you both expect us to believe you two!? Especially you, Myungsoo! You were the one who was insistent on having nothing to do with Sungjong!" exclaims Woohyun.

            "Give them about an hour and they'll start it up again," states Sungyeol bluntly.

            "Wait until they start their assignment the arguments will really start rolling again and the world will be back in alignment," says Hoya jokingly.

            Myungsoo rolls his eyes as he looks at his companions in unamusement, "You are all something else entirely."

            "Well then, let's make some good use of your somewhat amiableness with each other then. Here's the plan Woohyun and I will visit the two tycoons and bug their office while Hoya and Dongwoo will check in to a room and set up the equipment for you and Sungjong to listen into meanwhile Sungyeol will hack into the hotel security and keep an eye on what happens through the cameras," instructs Sunggyu, "For now gather all the things you need and meet back at the ramen shop, then when we come back we'll hand you the key and you both can set out."

            "Alright," agrees Myungsoo without much of an argument, well it wasn't like there was anything that could be said against it anyways.

            "Okay, guess we'll head out first then," Sungjong waves to the others and heads towards the door with Myungsoo.

            They get about halfway down the street when Sungjong decides to speak up, "I thought you sent that picture of me in my pajamas to everyone…"

            Myungsoo shrugs nonchalantly, "I thought you sent that picture of me earlier too but it turned out you didn't."

            Sungjong let's out a light chuckle, maybe he's misjudged Myungsoo's character completely after all, "I guess we're both unpredictable."

            Myungsoo scoffs, "We'll see about that, given your annoying habits you're as readable as a book."

            "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter