First Encounters

Thieves Before the Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 2 – First Encounters~

            “Sunggyu! Woohyun! I’m here for my shift!” yelled out Sungjong as he entered the ramen shop.

            “Alright! Hurry and get your uniform on!” responded Sunggyu from behind.

            Sungjong jumps in surprise as he grips a hand over his heart before turning around, "What the heck!? You nearly scared the daylights out of me!"

            Sunggyu rolls his eyes and ushers Sungjong to the employee change room, "Yeah, I know I scare a lot of people. Will you just get to work? I'm already forced to pay you double the salary the least you can do is your job."

            "And who's fault is that?" protests Sungjong indignantly.

            Sunggyu doesn’t answer back to that and instead chooses to send Sungjong through the door of the change room, "Just get your uniform on and go wait the tables."

            Sungjong grumbles under his breath but still does as he's told, he changes quickly and heads back out in under ten minutes. He walks to the open kitchen window to greet Woohyun quickly before he checks the tickets to see which order goes where and delivers them like he was taught to do. The shop isn't busy at the moment, there's only about three customers for the time being but lunch rush will soon be appraoching.

            The first two bowls of ramen out on the kitchen window ledge are assigned to table seven, Sungjong places the two hot bowls on a tray and brings it over. He sees a mop of light brown hair behind some sort of gaming magazine as he approaches the table and he can't help but feel as though he recognizes that person.

            "Hello, here's your orders, one miso ramen and one spicy ramen," says Sungjong politely before he places both bowls on to the table.

            Sungjong is about to walk away but then the customer speaks up in an all too familiar voice, "Wow so you can be polite, that's a surprise."

            Sungjong stops in his steps and turns around to see Sungyeol slurping up his noodles, his jaw drops in surprise, "What the heck are you doing here!?"

            Sungyeol rolls his eyes as he swallows the food in his mouth, "Eating, duh."

            "I know that! I meant why eat here of all places!? And really? You're going to eat two bowls of ramen?! You're going to die from all that sodium," replies Sungjong as he fights the urge to smack Sungyeol with his tray. He figures Sunggyu wouldn't appreciate an unconscious Sungyeol in his restaurant so he must restrain his more violent tendencies.

            Sungyeol frowns and points his chopsticks at Sungjong, "I'm not going to eat both! What do you take me for brat?! One's for-"

            "Hey."

            The unexpected voice catches both Sunjong's and Sungyeol's attention as they turn towards the speaker.

            'Wow… Is he some sort of model?' thought Sungjong as he took in the man's stylish dark clothing and handsome appearance.

            "Myungsoo! You're finally here! Sheesh took you long enough," griped Sungyeol as he pushed the other bowl of ramen towards the open seat in front of him.

            Myungsoo takes a seat quietly and grabs his own pair of chopsticks to eat.

            Sungjong raises an eyebrow and turns towards Sungyeol, "Wow hermit, I didn't think you had any other friends aside from those computer chips you named after video game characters."

            Myungsoo's lips twitch at the joke but he remains quiet.

            Sungyeol lets out an indignant sound, "Why you annoying little- For your information, those computer chips are highly important hardware material that-"

            "You named after video game characters," finishes off Sungjong with a snort.

            "Oh shut up! Don't you have work?!" replies Sungyeol childishly

            "What, you're not going to introduce me to your friend? Who's the rude one now?" asks Sungjong with a grin, ah annoying Sungyeol was really fun.

            Sungyeol grumbles something that sounds like "If it'll get you to leave," and then says louder, "Yah, Myungsoo, this brat is Sungjong. Sungjong this stoic wanna be cool guy is Myungsoo."

            Myungsoo glares at Sungyeol for the horrible introduction but doesn't bother to rebuttal it since there would honestly be no point because Sungyeol is stubborn as hell.

            Sungjong only continues grinning and turns towards Myungsoo, "Hi! Nice to meet you Myungsoo!"

            Myungsoo glances at Sungjong briefly before turning back to Sungyeol, "That kid is Sungjong?"

            Sungjong freezes for a moment at the sudden inquiry, 'He knows me? But I've never met him before…'

            "Yeah, he's part of the team now, I told you all this yesterday when you arrived at the ramen shop last night," grumbles Sungyeol as he slurps up another round of noodles.

            Myungsoo scoffs lightly, "I didn't expect someone so frail looking to be able to join, are you sure this kid is even capable?"

            It clicks in Sungjong's mind right then and there that this Myungsoo guy, must be the last team member L and Sungjong is beyond annoyed, 'How dare he criticize me before he even sees what I can do! And he's even outright ignoring me! What kind of first impression is this?!'

            "Yah! You ever heard of don't judge a book by it's cover? What do you know anyways!" retorts Sungjong irritably before Sungyeol could add his input.

            Myungsoo turns towards Sungjong with a blank expression before saying quietly, "I'm the top member I think I know a lot more than you do."

            "Yeah? Well I'm the one who's going to unlock all the treasures, you wouldn't get very far without me would you?" snaps back Sungjong.

            "We've done just fine without you before," replies Myungsoo bluntly as his attention goes back to his ramen.

            Sungjong clenches his fist, he's angry, really angry, 'Why is he such a jerk! I can't believe he's L! I want to freaking smack him with this tray instead of Sungyeol!'

            "Sungjong!" Woohyun calls out to the youngest through the window and beckons him over with a wave of his hand.

            The youngest reigns in his temper at the call and makes his way to the window without another word towards Myungsoo.

            "Yeah?" asks Sungjong moodily.

            Woohyun opens his mouth but closes it again when he notices Sungjong's mood taking a turn, "Something happened?"

            Sungjong mumbles, "Just some rude customers."

            Woohyun glances over to the side to spot the table Sungjong just came back from and his eyes light up in understanding, "Oh, I see, you met L?"

            Sungjong shoots Woohyun a sour look, "Unfortunately."

            Woohyun laughs at Sungjong's expression, "Don't think too much on it. We told you he takes time to warm up to didn't we?"

            "Yeah well he at first impressions," grunts Sungjong.

            "We know," grins Woohyun before handing Sungjong a slip of paper.

            "What's this?" questions Sungjong as he takes the paper.

            "Shopping list, cheapskate Sunggyu should give you the money before you leave. We need to restock on those items and since the shop isn't very busy right now we figured you'd be fine to go pick up some of the stuff."

            "Oh, yeah okay then. I'll get going right now," replied Sungjong as he looks over what he needs to get, "This shouldn't be too difficult to pick up…"

            "The grocery store to pick up these items are on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter