Tracking Points

Thieves Before the Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 5 – Tracking Points~

            Sungjong rolled over as he cocooned himself in his blankets, enjoying his time to sleep in without the annoying alarm to wake him up. It was only him and his nice and quiet apartment, just the way he liked it.

            Ring Ring Ring

            Scratch that, the doorbell killed the peace in the apartment as it rang in consistent intervals. Sungjong groaned and pulled the blanket over his head burying further into it hoping that whoever was the jerk bothering to ring his doorbell at this insanely early hour would just. Go. Away.

            "Sungjong! Will you hurry up and open this door?!"

            The muffled yell from outside the door had Sungjong snapping his eyes open in irritation. Of course it would be Myungsoo of all the people to ring his doorbell this early in the morning to start off his day. The ringing of course didn't stall one bit as Sungjong groaned loudly in exasperation before sluggishly unrolling himself from his blanket and blinking away the sleep from his eyes. With one last sigh, Sungjong stood up and walked to his door where he could clearly hear Myungsoo.

            "Sungjong, are you ignoring me on purpose you fluff ball!?"

            'No but I want to,' thought Sungjong as he entertained the thought of leaving Myungsoo locked outside his apartment.

            "I'm going to tell Sunggyu!"

            Sungjong rolled his eyes, 'Wow so mature,' before finally reaching out to open the door.

            Myungsoo stopped mid-ring as he heard the click of the door unlocking and opening which allowed him to come face to face with Sungjong in all his bed head and pajama glory.

            "Did you literally just roll out of bed? You look like a mess," said Myungsoo in the bluntest manner possible.

            "Wow, thanks that's something everyone wants to hear when they just wake up from the constant sound of their doorbell going off every five seconds," grimaced Sungjong as he looked at Myungsoo's more than picture perfect appearance.

            "Put the blame on Sunggyu who's forcing us to spend a day together," grumbled Myungsoo while walking into the younger's apartment.

            "Rather a day than forever in handcuffs," replied Sungjong as he shut the door.

            Myungsoo made a noise of agreement as he took his phone out from his pocket and lifted the device so that both him and Sungjong were seen on the screen, "Say cheese."

            "Wha-"

            Click Myungsoo touched the little button in the bottom middle of his phone.

            "You did not just take a picture of us."

            "I did and I'm sending it to Sunggyu right now, that was part of the requirements remember?"

            Sungjong stood there glaring at the back of Myungsoo's head with thoughts of revenge filtering through his mind but what he settled with was grabbing one of his slippers off the floor near the door and chucking it at Myungsoo's back.

            The latter turned around and glared, "What the hell?!"

            "I should be the one saying that since you took an uncalled for picture! Ugh!"

            "Then you should have gotten ready before you opened the door!"

            "You were out there ringing my doorbell like a fire alarm and yelling, there was no time for me to get ready! Besides we didn’t even decide on any meet up time last night at the meeting!"

            "You were-"

            "Wait," Sungjong held up his hand to stop Myungsoo's sentence as a strange thought just occurred to him, there was a pause of silence before Sungjong spoke up, "How the hell did you even know where I lived!? I don’t remember telling you that either! You creep, are you stalking me now!?"

            "Excuse me!?" replied Myungsoo as his jaw dropped at the absurdity in Sungjong's accusation, "I have more important matters to do than stalk you of all people! I only knew where to go because I walked you to your place before on the day we made that truce, which also didn't work out by the way!"

            "It didn't work because you're an arrogant prick that needs to remove that pole shoved up your !" sassed Sungjong.

            "Pole shoved up my- Are you serious?! You annoying fluff ball you're the one with it up yours!" retaliated Myungsoo.

            "Oh my gawd, you are so-"

            Just as their argument was about to escalate even further, Sungjong's phone went off on the counter.

            'Sungjongie~ My precious son~ It's your beloved Papa, pick up the phone~'

            Sungjong face palmed himself as he rushed to pick it up so the embarrassing ring tone would stop, "Oh gawd, of all the times he decides to call."

            "What kind of lame ring tone is that?" mutters Myungsoo as Sungjong immediately makes a dive for his phone before it can ring for any longer.

            "Hello?" Sungjong has his back facing Myungsoo as he continues talking, "Uh, yeah I just woke up. Uh-huh, yeah I'm doing fine. No, the job I got has been good. Harrassing? What? No of course not- Papa your imagination is getting out of- I can handle myself. No I don't want you to come in."

            Sungjong leaned his head against the wall in defeat as he continued talking to his father while Myungsoo simply stood there awkwardly until the younger finished his conversation, "There is nothing for you to worry- Oh my gawd please don’t do anything crazy. Yeah I'll visit you today like always, do you want me to bring anything? Did you eat breakfast yet? Okay I'll bring food over just wait for me. Yeah, love you too. Okay, hanging up now."

            Myungsoo wasn't even able to question what was going on because the second Sungjong hung up the phone he ran past the older while yelling, "Sit down somewhere, I don't care just don’t touch my stuff! I need to get ready!" and then the sound of Sungjong's bedroom door slamming shut had Myungsoo swallowing down his questions. The only thing left to do was to wait for Sungjong to come back out.

            "Fluff ball's running around like his was set on fire," grumbled Myungsoo as he decides to just take a seat on the sofa in the living room. It's only then that Myungsoo realizes Sungjong has a lot of pictures decorated on the top of side DVD case next to the TV. It's more out of boredom than curiosity that has Myungsoo standing back up once again to take a look at the pictures, well at least that's what he tries to convince himself of as he picks a random one up.

            'Hm seems fluff ball is the photogenic type, although that picture I took of him this morning might say otherwise,' thought Myungsoo absentmindedly as he glanced at the photos, Sungjong came out well in all of them. The photos ranged from different time spans from when he was little to the very present now and in almost all of them there was also another person who Myungsoo assumed was Sungjong's father because Sungjong looked almost like the spitting image aside from a few details like Sungjong's smile and eyes which the younger most likely inherited from his mother, who appeared to be completely absent from any of the pictures.

            "That's weird," Myungsoo looked through the photos once again to confirm if he had missed any but he hadn't, there was just no picture with Sungjong's mother.

            As Myungsoo continued looking, he didn't happen to hear Sungjong exit from his room freshly showered and ready to go for the day.

            "Hey! Don’t look at those! I know I look weird!" complained Sungjong as he quickly snatched the photo frame out of Myungsoo's hand and stood in front of the older to block any sight of the pictures. Sungjong pouted, "I told you not to touch my stuff."

            Myungsoo blinked for a moment before Sungjong's complaint finally made it to his ears and his eye twitched, "I didn't say you looked weird! And why even have those pictures all out on display if you didn't want anyone to look at them!?"

            "My apartment, I get to do as I want!" shot back Sungjong as he put the photo frame back in it's place.

            Myungsoo opened his mouth but had nothing to say since Sungjong was right, it was the younger's apartment, so he just shut it again.

            Turning back around Sungjong faced Myungsoo with a contemplative look, "You're not busy today and we're stuck together no matter what right?"

            "Unfortunately yes," replied Myungsoo wondering where Sungjong was going with that question.

            The younger bit his lip, "Okay… Maybe this will possibly work out…"

            "What?"

            "We- okay, well I have to go visit my dad today."

            "Okay? And? What about it?" Myungsoo didn't really care what they were doing today as long as it wasn't something stupid and/or insane.

            Sungjong paused a bit as he tried to find the right words to explain the situation, "He's… Overprotective…"

            "So what exactly are you saying fluff ball? Just spit it out," replied Myungsoo.

            "He's probably going to hate you," stated Sungjong bluntly.

            The words hung in the air for a moment before Myungsoo rolled his eyes, "Great. Let's get this over with already."

            "Wow, you took that better than expected," noted Sungjong with surprise, "We still need to go to buy some food before we go though."

            "He's related to you, I'm not exactly surprised that he'll hate me," scoffed Myungsoo in amusement as he walked towards the door, "Let's just head to the closest food stand or-"

            "What? But I never said I hated you, actually I don’t' really hate you at all," blurted out Sungjong in confusion.

            Myungsoo's steps stopped as he glanced back at Sungjong who had an earnest looking expression on his face. To say Myungsoo was surprised at the statement would be an understatement, he was utterly flabbergasted that those specific words strung together in that specific sentence were leaving Sungjong's lips. After all the non-stop fighting and arguing they had been through Sungjong was actually saying he didn't hate him? Maybe he had things wrong all along and Sungjong was actually a pretty decent person to welcome to infini-

            "You're just really annoying to me and a complete arrogant prick."

            Forget it, all of it, Myungsoo resumed walking to the door as he said over his shoulder, "Hurry up and let's go before your exit will be through the window when I throw you through it, fluff ball."

            Really Myungsoo should have expected that one.

            Sungjong sighed in exasperation, "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming."

 

            The two of them ended up going with Myungsoo's idea and just stopping by whichever food stand they saw first to buy food to bring to Sungjong's dad's house for a quick breakfast.

            "Okay, here, hold this for a moment," Sungjong passed his bag of food to Myungsoo while he took a key out from his back pocket, "I'll go in first, hang out here for a little while so I can explain-"

            The door to Sungjong's father's house bursted open to reveal a middle aged man who looked just like the photos Myungsoo had seen him in.

            "Sungjongie! You're finally here! I thought I heard your voice outside!" smiled the man as he hugged his son tightly.

            "Uh yeah Papa, I was just about to open the door to go inside," replied Sungjong as he returned the hug his father gave him with nervousness.

            Sungjong's father eventually pulled away and ruffled his son's hair with a laugh, as Sungjong whined in protest.

            "Ah, Papa you're messing up my hair," complained Sungjong as he ran his fingers through his scalp in attempt to fix the out of place strands.

            Sungjong's father laughed and patted his son on the head again before opening his mouth to usher the younger inside when his eyes finally caught on to Myungsoo who was standing a few feet to the side of his son, "Sungjong…"

            The seriousness in his father's tone caused Sungjong to stop combing his fingers through his hair to look up at his father in confusion, "Yeah?"

            Sungjong's father grabbed Sungjong by the wrist and pulled his son inside along with him shutting the door behind the two quickly before Sungjong or Myungsoo could so much as blink "Quick! Go inside! There's a creepy kidnapper behind you! I'm not risking my precious baby boy!"

            "Papa!" yelled Sungjong in protest as he realized he was inside the house instead of outside with Myungsoo.

            "Sungjong!" called out Myungsoo exasperatedly while staring at the door that was just slammed in front of his face.

            "Oh gawd the creep knows your name! Should we call the police!?" screamed Sungjong's father as he began panicking.

            Sungjong groaned while dragging a hand down his face, "No, don’t do that. It would be bad if Myungsoo went to jail."

            "You know his name too!? Even better, we can add this to the police report!" gasped Sungjong's father.

            Sungjong stared blankly at his father as he tried to form the words necessary for an explanation that won't have his dad phoning for the police to take Myungsoo away. He gets the distinct feeling everyone in Infinite would not appreciate a trip to the police station to bail the other out.

            "Do you want to make the report or should I?"

            "Papa, no. Myungsoo is a… friend…" Wow that felt really odd coming out of Sungjong's mouth, but he digressed, "We were just hanging out today and he decided to come along with me…"

        

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter