Welcoming

Thieves Before the Dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter 1 – Welcoming~

            “Are you ready?”

            A fragile looking boy dressed in all black nodded his head as the duo stood in front of a glass case containing a rare jewel artifact called ‘Sapphire of Rain’

            “Good because this is the reason we let you into Infinite, do well Sungjong and unlock that case.”

            Sungjong immediately set to work as he took out a few tools and inserted it into the opening of the lock, moving the tool about for a bit until a sudden click was heard, Sungjong quickly removed the lock from the glass case.

            “Good work,” whispered the other person dressed in an all black outfit.

            Sungjong nodded “Grab it and let’s go Woohyun, we don’t know how long Dongwoo and Hoya can hold off the guards plus Sungyeol and Sunggyu get impatient if we take too long.”

            “Got it,” replied Woohyun as he took the jewel and carefully placed it into his bag “Let’s get out of here. Oh and don’t forget to leave our Infinite card so they know we kept our promise of stealing the jewel.”

            Sungjong quickly took out a small white card with the infinite symbol on it and placed it where the jewel once was before relocking the case “All set, come on.”

            The two began running down the hallways of the museum with quiet footsteps, meeting up with Hoya and Dongwoo along the way.

            “You guys got it?” asked Dongwoo.

            Woohyun nodded “Yup, it’s in the bag.”

            “Good, because I think we have about five more minutes before the security system Sungyeol temporarily shut down starts back up again,” replied Hoya.

            “Psh only five minutes? It’s no problem for us,” grinned Woohyun as the four of them continued stealthily running through the halls making sure to avoid all of the security stationed in the museum.

            Dongwoo gave a light chuckle “That’s true,” and turned around to look towards Sungjong “How’s your first heist feel so far?”

            Sungjong returned Dongwoo’s question with a smile “Great, the lock was nothing at all.”

            Dongwoo grinned even wider “Good to hear, you’ll be a great addition to Infinite.”

            “Come on the exit’s right there and we have about two minutes left,” said Hoya.

            “No problem,” said Woohyun as the four of them made it through the window and ran straight for the black van parked in the street across from the museum.

            As all four hopped into the back, Woohyun yelled out “Drive!” causing Sunggyu to push on the gas pedal as they made their speedy escape in the night.

            “Ugh, you guys were taking so long I seriously thought I was going to have to go back and re-hack the security system again just to give you another ten minutes or something,” complained Sungyeol as he closed his laptop and put down his head set that he used for hacking.

            “Yeah, yeah, that would have only taken you two seconds anyways besides you shouldn’t have doubted us, we’re professionals when it comes to this type of work,” said Dongwoo grinning.

            “So did you accomplish the mission?” asked Sunggyu from the front as he continued driving towards their head quarters which looked like nothing more than an ordinary ramen shop.

            Woohyun took out the sapphire from his bag and said “What do you think?”

            Sunggyu smirked “Good, how about the newbie? Did he do well?”

            Sungjong scoffed “I did perfectly,” eliciting laughs from around the van.

            “Then you pass our trial, welcome to Infinite,” replied Sunggyu as he pulled into the back of their head quarters where the garage was located.

            “Celebration time!” cheered Dongwoo as he quickly clambered out of the van and was the first to enter the ramen shop.

            “Yeah! Wait for me!” yelled out Sungyeol as he followed after.

            “Yah! Don’t make a mess in my ramen shop,” warned Sunggyu as he stepped out of the van.

            Hoya sighed “I’ll go stop them from doing anything weird,” while walking into the ramen shop.

            Sungjong, Woohyun, and Sunggyu walked into the shop right after locking up the van, taking notice of how Dongwoo and Sungyeol had managed to take out a number of drinks and random snacks placing it all over one of the tables while Hoya sat at the table looking at the pile of junk food with distaste.

            “Woohoo! An official welcoming party for our new member of Infinite, Sungjong!” cheered out Dongwoo and Sungyeol as they began handing out drinks to everyone.

            “Yah! What did I say about making a mess!?” said Sunggyu as he watched the two hyper members jump around the restaurant eating snacks and drinking.

            “Oh, lighten up Sunggyu they can clean up later besides it’s a celebration today,” said Woohyun.

            “Ugh, whatever,” replied Sunggyu giving up as he saw how Sungyeol stuffed about half a bag of chips into his mouth “That’s just gross.”

            “Wafefer, li ig meddr (Whatever like it matters),” garbled Sungyeol with his mouth full.

            “Gross,” grimaced Sunggyu.

            “Ah, this celebration would be more complete if we had L here but he just had to have work today,” whined Dongwoo.

            “Oh yeah, we told him there was an important mission today but he only replied saying he had work that he couldn’t get out of until tomorrow which was why I had to take his place out on the field tonight,” said Woohyun.

            “…Wait did you only tell him that there was an important mission and didn’t even mention that the mission was also Sungjong’s initiation to the group?” asked Hoya for clarification.

            “…Oops,” replied Woohyun sheepishly “Umm, well I guess he’ll really have a surprise huh?”

            “He’s going to kill you,” replied Hoya.

            Woohyun pouted “No he won’t because Sunggyu’s the boss and I’m second in command.”

            “That means nothing,” said Hoya nonchalantly sipping his drink as Woohyun stuck his tongue out.

            “Is L that scary?” asked Sungjong sitting down at the table overflowing with snacks. Sungjong couldn’t help it he was really curious since he hasn’t seen the mentioned member of Infinite before.

            “Oh yeah, the two of you have never met yet. Hmm well I wouldn’t call L scary he’s more of a soloist? I guess you can call him that, he usually prefers working alone, he sometimes has a smart mouth but the kid’s really good at what he does. He just might take a while to warm up to though,” explained Woohyun.

            “Yeah, when he first joined I remember he didn’t really talk to anyone except Sungyeol since the two of them were already close friends but now he talks to pretty much everyone in the group so don’t be too alarmed if he’s a bit cold towards you when you meet,” explained Sunggyu.

            Sungjong nodded in understanding ‘L sounds like a person that’s going to need effort if you want to befriend him. I hope we’ll get along since we’ll be in the same group together.’

            “Now let’s get down to real business, the ‘Sapphire of Rain’ please,” said Sunggyu holding his hand out to Woohyun who placed the jewel in the leader’s hand “As you all know we only steal for the greater good, this jewel had been sold illegally through the black market after being taken from a prestigious family, the shady museum owner who bought the jewel knew this yet proceeded to purchase it and rename the jewel in order to keep it’s identity hidden. Now that we have it in our possession we will be able to return it to the family in no time, good work today team especially Sungjong, your locking picking skills will be a great asset to the team. You are now an official member of Infinite, congratulations.”

            Everyone gave out a loud cheer and gave Sungjong pats on the back congratulating him on joining as Sungjong let out a sheepish “Thanks.”

            “Who would have thought the boy you hired as a part time waiter for the ramen shop would have turned out to be so skilled in picking locks,” said Woohyun looking at Sunggyu with amusement.

            “I know right? I almost had a heart attack when he found out the base while I was still down there working on my new hacking hardware,” replied Sungyeol.

            Sungjong laughed “It was Sunggyu’s fault anyways, he was rushing me that day and gave me vague directions about where the freezer was in the back, how was I supposed to know that the basement head quarters door wasn’t actually the freezer.”

 

            Going back to about a few weeks ago to this very incident, this was how it all went down…

            Sungjong was a university student who needed a job and walking along the streets one day he happened upon the ramen shop that had a hiring sign out front with a good pay, he figured he had nothing to lose in trying it out. As he walked in, he looked around the clean restaurant and tried to find someone who worked there. Sungjong stopped when he heard from the front counter someone asking “Are you eating here?”

            This was the first time that Sungjong had ever met Sunggyu and replied “Ah, no um my name is Sungjong and I saw that you were hiring and I was wonde-”

            Sungjong didn’t even finish his sentence before Sunggyu said “You’re hired, uniform is in the back, you can start tomorrow if you want.”

            “Really!?” Sungjong was surprised that he was just hired on the spot.

            “Yeah you want the job right? I needed someone to be a waiter so the chef over there in the back would stop complaining about being so busy all the time,” replied Sunggyu gesturing his thumb over to the open window where another guy with a chef hat on was cooking the ramen.

            Suddenly the chef looked up and yelled out “I can hear you!”

            Sunggyu sighed before yelling back “I know! Just finish cooking Woohyun!” and turned back to Sungjong barely missing the glare that Woohyun was sending Sunggyu.

            “Oh, okay thank you very much for hiring me,” said Sungjong.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter