Phone Call

Maybe We Found Love [one-shots]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20: Phone Call

(please take note of the bolded time)

 

Taeyeon massaged the sides of her head with her thumbs after sensing a painful headache was bound to arrive. Last night’s events had been too much for her and that phone call with her boyfriend was the cherry on top of her this-night-couldn’t-get-more-disastrous sundae. Seriously, that outburst from him was unnecessary and . . . hurtful. She didn’t want to be sad again. But what happens if the one whom you should place your trust and give your heart is the one who ends up hurting you? Taeyeon shook her head at the thought—which was a bad idea since it hurts—and decided to just call him again later. If only they were both in the same country so she could meet him up in person and explain it to him. But what is there to explain? It wasn’t her fault and she knew that. But then again, she has this habit of thinking that it’s her own so she should shoulder the blame even if she was the one who needed an apology. Her boyfriend was the one who should be apologizing. He was the one who couldn’t see past a platonic friendship.

Taeyeon decided to pick up the phone and dial him. She still couldn’t believe he thought she was cheating on him.

 

****************************************

 

Baekhyun was pacing around in circles his hotel room. He’s been bothered the whole day that even s could see it. They even asked him what’s wrong but he didn’t have the heart to tell them what was going on. He didn’t want them to invade that privacy. It was too personal.

He sat down on the edge of the bed and picked up his phone that was resting on the nightstand. He wanted to call her but what should he say? He didn’t want to make things worse.

Releasing a defeated sigh, Baekhyun put the phone back and settled for some sleep. That might clear his thoughts. He sure doesn’t want to look like a zombie walking at the airport tomorrow.

 

****************************************

 

It’s been two days since the phone call. Two days since Taeyeon’s heart broke. Two days since she decided she doesn’t need to apologize because it wasn’t her fault. He hasn’t called her or even left a message. It left an unsettling feeling inside her and made her think that they’re both too prideful to be the first to break the silence.

In her case, she should be the one waiting for the call. There was nothing to explain anyway. Her boyfriend’s imagination is to blame. Really, she can’t be around her male friends now? She refused to be in a relationship where her boyfriend controls her life. That’s not what a relationship is supposed to be about. She never gets jealous when he’s surrounded by girls nor she gets angry when they want to claim him as theirs.

She knows where she stands in his life. She just hoped that her boyfriend knows where he stands in hers.

 

****************************************

 

Four days since the phone call and finally a ring.

She held her breath and let it out before pressing the answer button. “Hey.”

“Look, I want to say sorry but every time I remember you hugging him, I get so mad. Why were you even hugging him?”

She stilled. He was mad at that? “Are you saying I can’t hug a friend? My friend?”

“No. I’m asking you why you’re hugging him.”

Taeyeon could imagine his look right now when he said him. It wasn’t good. “Because he’s my friend! And we haven’t seen each other in a while! Why are you so mad at this? You know he’s my friend and you know everything and that there’s nothing between us. He’s just a friend!”

“Didn’t look that way.”

“How? You very well that we are just friends. FRIENDS. You want me to stop being his friend? Ignore him? Is that it? Because if that’s what you want then I’m sorry but no, I can’t.”

“Why the hell not?! Do you want people to start rumors about you two? I’d look like a fool damn it!”

“No one is going to start anything because everyone knows that I’m with you! Why can’t you get that?!”

“You’re the one who doesn’t get it! And why are you being so defensive if there’s nothing between you two?!”

Taeyeon wanted to throw her phone against the wall. This is making her furious. “OH MY GOD. I am not being defensive! I’m stating the truth! You’re jealous over a hug and a little talk. That is absolutely ridiculous.”

“Knowing you two have something special is enough to piss me off.”

She gripped the phone like it was about to be crushed in her palm. “I thought you said you trust me.”

“I did say that. I’m honestly not sure now.”

All time, he questioned her loyalty to him? After all the times she proved that he was her one and no one else? Taeyeon felt a sick feeling her stomach. She felt her tears about to fall but she won’t cry. She won’t cry for this jerk. “You know what? It’s true what they said about me.”

“What?”

“That I deserve better.” She didn’t wait for his reply because she couldn’t take any more of it so she hanged up.

She just hoped that he got the message that they’re over.

 

****************************************

 

Baekhyun was a brooding puppy—as what s call him at the moment. It’s been five days since the phone call but he doesn’t care if he looked like there was a dark cloud above his head that’s pouring rain on him.

“Keep glaring at the TV like that you’ll end up burning a hole into it.”

He whipped his head to the voice’s owner and found himself staring at s who are staring back at him with a confused look on their faces. They were watching a movie and he knew he was being grumpy with his glare and arms crossed.

“Just don’t mind me.”

They all fell silent until Jongdae spoke up. “We all heard, you know.”

Baekhyun knew. He just didn’t want to confirm it. And he hated the fact that their dorm has paper thin walls.

“Did you think that was a good idea?”

He didn’t have an answer to that.

 

****************************************

 

Baekhyun knew too damn well it wasn’t a good idea.

But what’s done is done.

 

****************************************

 

The day after the second phone call, Taeyeon’s phone rang. Her heart rate picked up and she wasn’t sure if she wanted to pick it up. Be brave, Taeyeon. You two are over now. He can’t hurt you.

She glanced at her phone only to be surprised that it wasn’t him that was calling her.

 

****************************************

F L A S H B A C K

****************************************

 

Four days since the phone call and Baekhyun picked up his phone that won’t stop ringing. He knew he should have put it on silent. But that would be a bad idea considering EXO’s very busy schedule. He can’t risk it.

He glanced at the clock on his nightstand. It read 2:25 AM. Who the heck would be calling him at this hour?

He had to squint because the screen’s light was trying to blind him. Once his vision adjusted, the caller’s picture made him alert that he had to sit up. He was definitely awake now. Pressing the answer button, he pressed the phone to his ear so he wouldn’t miss whatever conversation they were about to have.

“Taeyeon?”

 

****************************************

 

Seriously? Her ex was pissed and accused her of cheating on him when all they did was hug? What an . When she told him everything that happened between her and her boyfriend, Baekhyun wanted to put his fist on her boyfriend’s—ex-boyfriend’s—pretty face. But he wouldn’t do that. That bastard didn’t deserve his time. He also doesn’t want to cause trouble. It’s already going to be enough trouble if anyone caught him driving to SNSD’s dorm.

When he arrived, there she was in the parking lot gripping her phone and looking like she’d shed enough tears that her eyes were red and her cheeks wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter