Through Time

Maybe We Found Love [one-shots]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 09: Through Time

 

[ 2011 ]

Training everyday was exhausting but Baekhyun knew this will all be worth it if ever he makes it to the group. Singing has always been his passion. He’d been singing in school events, he and his friends even had a band together with him as the lead vocalist. He was confident of his singing. That was until he joined SM and became a trainee. He never knew he had so many things to learn and how he had to adjust and control his voice in certain departments. He’s happy to learn a lot these things, though. He wanted to improve.

Dancing was a thing Baekhyun was never good of because unlike singing, dancing was something he wasn’t really into. He used to dance but not in a serious kind of way, more like to make his friends laugh and for fun or only if necessary. Now, he’d start to take this seriously because this is no joke anymore. He had to improve in both singing and dancing.

He also needed to work on his confidence in facing a large crowd if ever he makes it. Everytime he watches the artists of SM perform on stage, they’d never fail to amaze him. They have so much charisma on stage and yet they seem like ordinary people, far from idols, whenever he sees them pass by the hallways of the SM building. He’d met some of them up close and personal, too. He won’t admit it out loud but aside from TVXQ and Bi Rain, he held so much admiration for the Nation’s Girl Group, SNSD. He’s amazed by the way they own the stage whenever they perform. And they’re very nice, in fact, all of the artists he’d come across who came to cheer on them and gave advice are.

With that, his determination to strive hard just doubled up.

 

[ 2012 ]

It finally happened. EXO finally debuted and Baekhyun was glad that he was able to be included in the group despite the very short training period. He was shy during the first time they shoot for a music video and he’s not exactly used to cameras and all this singing while doing multiple hand gestures. But it’s a start.

 

****************************************

 

“TaeTiSeo sunbaenim, congratulations!” He bowed along with his fellow EXO-K members during TTS’ encore stage after another win.

“Thank you!” All three of them smiled and waved. EXO-K was about to leave the stage when Taeyeon called for them to stay during their encore. Now Baekhyun suddenly felt his heart skip a beat. He always had a little crush towards SNSD’s leader. He had listened to her OSTs since he’s the type of person who prefers slow songs and her voice is very calming and soothing to listen to.

Baekhyun was unable to contain the excitement and happiness he felt when he appeared in their ‘Twinkle’ music video along with Chanyeol, Sehun and Kai. He’s still new to the whole process of filming music videos and is still somehow awkward with the cameras but he worked it out. It’s not like he’s got a long exposure anyway. He just had to sit and fix his hair while the girls act as if they’re talking about him… or something like that.

The moment the director said Cut! and it was finally a wrap for the scene, the girls started chatting with each other without moving from their chairs. And he’s still in the middle.

“You did well today.” Baekhyun turned to his left side after hearing Taeyeon’s words and she had a beautiful smile on her face. His cameo was lasted only for a second but he didn’t mind. All was good.

 

****************************************

 

“That was cute.” Taeyeon said as she stood off of her stool to go get ready to change outfits for another scene.

“What was?” Tiffany asked. “The scene or Baekhyun-ssi?”

“Ehh… both?”

“Unnie,” Seohyun joined in and linked an arm around Taeyeon. “You probably meant only him.”

Her two members grinned and she can’t help but do the same. “You’re right. He is. He’s nice, too.”

 

****************************************

 

“Happy birthday, Baekhyun-ssi!” Taeyeon greeted him the moment they ran into each other in the building. Baekhyun just arrived after celebrating his birthday with the fans and the K members. Taeyeon, on the other hand, also just arrived from a KBS filming.

Baekhyun blushed. He’s still not used to have his seniors talk to him in a casual way, let alone someone he admired. He bowed and gave her a wide sheepish grin, “Thank you, Taeyeon sunbaenim.”

“So did you have fun? How was it?”

“Uhh,” he looked down on his shoes as if the answers were written there. Calm down, Baek. She’s just asking you a simple question. “I-it was great and f-fun. They were r-really nice.” He stuttered and all she asked was how things went. “The fans I mean.” Baekhyun cursed himself inwardly.

“That’s good! Good to know you enjoyed your birthday today.”

“Y-yes.” He can’t face her yet. He doesn’t want her to see his cheeks getting red from embarrassment at his stuttering. Seriously, what was wrong with him? All Taeyeon is doing is trying to have a normal conversation. And here he is, acting all nervous and awkward.

“Baekhyun-ssi? Are you okay? Your ears are getting red.”

That snapped his head back and to meet her eyes wide in confusion. “Oh uh… uh, n-nothing.” He chuckled awkwardly. Now this is embarrassing.

“You don’t have to be nervous around me, you know.” Taeyeon laughed heartily and offered him another smile. Baekhyun swore it only made him blushed harder than before and made his heart beat faster. But the nervousness died down a bit and was replaced with a warm feeling. He relaxed. That smile is something he could get used to.

 

****************************************

 

Taeyeon walked away after her encounter with Baekhyun and made her way to the parking lot where Tiffany and Seohyun are waiting. She had two missed calls both from them and a text message asking where she was.

When she arrived, Tiffany asked, “Where did you go? We were about to leave until we noticed you were gone.”

“I just greeted someone a happy birthday that’s all.”

“Oh… okay?” Taeyeon raised an eyebrow as if asking Tiffany to continue whatever she had in mind. But Tiffany didn’t bother anymore. “Well get in the van. We wanna go home already.”

Taeyeon stepped inside and seated herself by the window. She sighed in relief inwardly, glad that Tiffany didn’t press on any more questions. She doesn’t want to admit it but he’s slowly becoming her favourite hoobae. That mega-watt smile of his was just endearing.

 

****************************************

 

Stealing glances of her has become like a habit. Though it only happens when they’re together in public events because they talk freely inside the building. They’ve gotten close. And not just with Taeyeon but also with the rest of SNSD. They’re very nice and friendly. They give them, EXO, professional advice about the idol life and tips for the pros and cons.

Taeyeon would stay back and watch them practice. She would often talk to Suho because their leader would usually seeks words of wisdom from the company’s groups’ leaders. And since Taeyeon’s usually the one who’s with them, Suho would take his chance.

Taeyeon’s been a great and patient mentor to him, too. Not that she’s an official mentor of his but she has been teaching him things he should know about singing and how to improve more. At the same time, she’s been encouraging him and telling him he’s improving. Baekhyun’s chest swelled with gratefulness and pride.

 

****************************************

 

One final bow and SM Town Seoul has come to an end. Baekhyun wanted to slap himself when they were singing Dear My Family. He didn’t notice he was already standing too close to her during the performance until Kyungsoo told him backstage. He’d moved too much that time apparently.

Baekhyun’s been smiling the entire time after Taeyeon high-fived him before she went off to her members and went to their dressing room. He was lost in his little world again until this time, someone waved an SM flag in front of his face.

“Hyung,” it was Sehun. “You’re smiling into space. It’s creepy.”

Ugh, great.

 

[ 2013 ]

“So… snapbacks for the Growl era? I’m still getting used to seeing you with light brown hair. Your hair’s been usually dark.”

Baekhyun chuckled at her observation. “I just let what the stylists think would fit. Is it bad?”

“Nah, you look good.”

Oh.

He honestly wasn’t sure of how he looked with the new hair color. It felt foreign to him. But then Taeyeon said he looked good even though he was just asking about the hair. Or maybe she meant the hair? Either way, the color doesn’t bother him that much anymore.

 

****************************************

 

“You’re staying up late again tonight?”

Baekhyun turned around towards the direction of the voice and there, standing by the practice room’s doorway, was his favourite noona. Taeyeon told him to ditch the sunbae honorific when they’re behind the cameras. She didn’t say what to call her, if formal or informal, so he opted for noona .

Taeyeon had her arms crossed and she leaning on the closed door with a gentle smile on her face. He stopped what he was doing and smiled in return. “Yeah. Need to work twice harder. And that means practice longer than the others.”

“You work so hard.” She made her way to the couch that was located in the far end corner of the room and sat. Baekhyun sat beside her but made sure to keep some distance.

“So what made you stop by?”

“Nothing. I just heard music and wondered who could still be here and I didn’t expect it was you. Again. Your members have already left.”

“I know but it’s okay. I’ll just call manager and he will pick me up.”

“Hmm... alright then.”

“How about you? Where are your members?”

“They left. Some of them had schedules tonight. As for me, I’m done with whatever business I had… for now that is.”

“Ahh. I see.”

They sat in silence. Baekhyun laid his head on the back of the couch and gazed up on the ceiling.

Still silent.

He looked at her only to find that she’s biting her lip uncomfortably while looking down at her hands as she plays with her fingers. Baekhyun wanted to start a conversation to lighten up the atmosphere but... about what, exactly?

Something suddenly came up to mind: “We’re going to start filming EXO’s Showtime next week by the way.”

That got her attention. “Really? First variety show if I’m not mistaken?” Taeyeon moved closer to him. Trying to minimize the space even more, he also moved until they were sitting just inches apart.

“Yes and newbie here.”

“Aww you’ll be alright. Enjoy it.” She winked and nudged him with her elbow playfully.

“I will.” He decided to play along with the nudging as he did the same to her. “You’ll watch it on broadcast, right?”

“You bet I am.”

 

****************************************

 

“EXO Showtime!!”

“Ahh NG! NG!”

“Do it again!!”

“EXO Showtime!!”

Baekhyun didn’t bother getting up to join them. He was already in a comfortable position on the mat and he’s… busy. He usually joins things like this, even Chen got up to join, but right now, all he wanted to do was rest from a long day and talk to a certain person.

B: Still awake?

T: Yep. I’m currently reading a book.

B: Oh sorry. Did I disturb you?

T: No no it’s okay. Why are you still awake at this hour?

B: Just finished filming for another episode. And you?

T: Not sleepy yet. Where are you filming?

B: It’s a secret ;)

T: Aww you’re no fun ><

B: Haha you’ll find out soon.

T: How soon? I haven’t seen you for a week now.

B: Very soon. Why? Missed me? :P

There was no reply after that. He mentally wanted to smack himself for the “missed me?” part. She probably got uncomfortable. He was about to type that he was just kidding until her reply came up.

T: I do miss you.

He froze. Baekhyun wanted to think that she really did miss him but he can’t also help thinking that she just said that because they’re close friends now. His phone beeped and there’s another message from her,

T: You still there?

B: Sorry about that but yes I’m here.

Baekhyun set aside the certain thoughts and focused on another subject of conversation they have. They texted all night until she finally said she’s sleepy. They said their ‘goodbyes’ and ‘good nights’ and Baekhyun’s face was illuminated with a smile until he drifted off to sleep.

 

****************************************

 

“Huh,” Baekhyun ran his slender fingers through Taeyeon’s hair. “Your hair’s all black now.”

“Currently preparing for a comeback.” Taeyeon replied.

She didn’t mind his action. In fact, they’ve even been touchy lately. Hug here, hug there, run fingers through each other’s hair here and there, it’s getting a little out of the sunbae-hoobae circle. He doesn’t even call him noona anymore. They’re more like ‘Baekhyun-ah’ and ‘Taeyeon-ah’ nowadays.

“Will you come by again later?”

“You know I always will.”

Taeyeon’s been coming to their practice to watch every now and then. She still continued to ‘mentor’ him and after their session, they’d go grab something to eat privately or some café even when most of the time, practice ends around in the middle of the night.

 

****************************************

 

Taeyeon and Baekhyun have been texting each other more often than before. They’d talk before they end their nights; they’d talk once both of them are up from sleep; they’d talk on breaks; they’d talk whenever they felt like the miss each other. Taeyeon has never used her phone this much just to communicate with someone who’s not either of the three: family, friend, boyfriend.

T: So we won’t get to see each other today?

B: Sorry but see you this 27th ;)

T: Ah right I forgot :P

B: :<

T: ?

B: :D

T: >.<

B: ;P

T: -__-

B: Are we gonna communicate via emoji now?

T: What? You started it~

B: But you went with it

T: Don’t turn this around, Byun Baekhyun

B: *hides from you*

T: Aww come back :'(

She and Baek—yes, she calls him that at times but only when it’s the two of them—have bantered quite a few times and their banter would turn into flirting. And to be honest, their flirting would sometimes send sparks through her body and she would wonder if it’s a good thing or not.

B: Merry Christmas, Taengoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter