Colchicum

I Wish that I can See the World through Your Eyes

They enjoyed the sunrise when Sungmin stood by the veranda and surprised them. Kyuhyun was behind him hugging him from the back and resting his chin on his shoulder. “Oh they’re up!” Sungmin mumbled happily and Junghwan tensed. Sunwoo let out a weary smile and glanced nervously at Junghwan's parents before throwing off a small embarrased tensed smile.

Sunwoo motioned getting on his knees when Kyuhyun waved a hand at him letting out a yawn right after. He eyed Sunwoo and Sunwoo let out a gulp. “Save it, let’s talk later,” Kyuhyun told him and Junghwan tried to scan for any leaf or anything to hide his blushing face. Luckily he had a blanket with him.

“We’ll prepare breakfast, why don’t you go inside for some hot chocolate.” Sungmin chirped happily and dragged Kyuhyun with him inside.

“He really is your dad,” Sunwoo commented as he pulled the blanket off Junghwan’s face.

“He’s nice, don’t worry,” Junghwan fixed his bangs and smiled at Sunwoo. He leaned near to give him a kiss on the cheek but failed and ended up kissing Sunwoo’s nose instead. The CEO let out a chuckle and wrapped an arm around him.

“Prepping me with cheesiness, I see,” Sunwoo croaked and Junghwan poked his side.

“I take it back, Appa eats CEO for breakfast,” Junghwan retorted after he gave a laugh.

 

 

“So you were a pianist?” Jinyoung asked as they all gather in the dining room enjoying their brunch. Kyuhyun fixed fruits and Sungmin made pancakes and waffles. Jinyoung sat between Dongwoo and Kyuhyun while Sungmin sat between Junghwan and Gongchan. Sunwoo was sitting at the other end, with Sachi snoring happily at his foot.

“I was,” Sungmin replied sipping through his coffee. He looked at the boys and at Kyuhyun gathered on the table enjoying their meal. It had been so long since the house had actuallysome people beside him and Kyuhyun. He glanced at his son who’s helping himself with strawberries and pancakes.

“He still plays well,” Junghwan added as he reached for his mug and Sunwoo helped him.

“I used to play in hotels and halls in Macau. After a year, I went to China and started my career in concerts and orchestras,” Sungmin explained. “I was only 23 then and Junghwan was only 12 but he’s really close to me.”

“How did you meet Kyuhyun-appa?, Sungmin-eomma?” Dongwoo asked after a mouthful of waffles covered with honey. Kyuhyun laughed inside. He would always complain about missing Junghwan calling him appa or hearing Junghwan calling Sungmin eomma and for just one day, they had five sons calling him Kyuhyun-appa, Kyuhyun-appa and Sungmin-eomma, Sungmin-eomma nonstop. It started to hurt his ear but seeing the lads’ faces made him enjoy it nevertheless.

“I met him because he tripped clumsily on the stage after playing Mozart before my turn to sing,” Kyuhyun narrated as he pushed his mug in his lips. “I helped him stand and he fell again. This time he fell for me.”

“You’re conceited,” Gongchan muttered while munching the berries and banana simultaneously.

“Who is?” Kyuhyun asked behind the mug and gazed at him.

“Kyuhyun-appa is,” Gongchan replied absent-mindedly and Dongwoo cringed at the electric wave Kyuhyun threw at Gongchan.

“You deal with the dishes,” Kyuhyun replied sternly and they all laughed at Gongchan being bullied again.

 

 

They had changed to their normal clothes after bathing and Sungmin handed them their freshly washed clothes. They were all over the house after their brunch. It was Gongchan’s turned to bathe. Dongwoo was playing with Sachi at the backyard. Kyuhyun was sitting by the veranda when Sunwoo marched in and sat beside him under the shade of the big white umbrella spread open.

He did say that they’ll talk.

Sunwoo cleared his throat and Kyuhyun folded the newspaper. “It’s my first time meeting his friends,” he exclaimed as he stretched his legs over the table and stared at the sea. Sunwoo gazed at the seawater too, twinkling under the sun.

“We never really met any of his friends,” Kyuhyun explained. “He rather visit Sungmin and I in our old apartment instead of hanging out with people of his age.”

“He’s very reserved,” Sunwoo commented and Kyuhyun smiled as he breathed in the scent of the summer breeze.

“I know he likes you too. I’m a dad. I can see that,” Kyuhyun told him as he folded his legs and looked at Sunwoo who in return, stared back at him with determined and sharp eyes. “I entrust him to you.” Sunwoo didn’t blink, god, he didn’t even breathe because he’d never had to face someone else’s dad with such strong will and tenacity. He didn’t even know how he’s going to deal with Junghwan in the future or how they’ll deal with their relationship but he’s just happy that Kyuhyun had finally given him his blessing.

He stood up and Sunwoo flashed him a smile. Kyuhyun walked towards him and give him a heavy yet warm pat on the back. He looked up and for a moment, Sunwoo missed his dad.

 

 

“I can still remember when you’re still a baby,” Sungmin told him. Junghwan had finished taking a bath and Sungmin sent him his clothes. He helped Sungmin getting into them and he applied lotion to Junghwan’s neck and arms.

“You used to apply lotion to me too,” Junghwan answered as the sat on the edge of the bed with Sungmin sitting beside him. “That’s why I liked hanging out with you and appa.”

Junghwan smiled and hummed some random song while feeling Sungmin’s massage on his arms.

“I saw you kissed him this morning,” Sungmin whispered quietly and Junghwan blushed.

“Did appa see?” Junghwan asked but Sungmin fell silent. It was a yes. Junghwan started to get worried and troubled. Does Kyuhyun hate him for being the bad son?

“Don’t worry,” Sungmin assured as he closed the tab and placed the bottle atop the table. “Kyuhyun likes Sunwoo for you.” Junghwan smiled and Sungmin ruffled his hair.

 

“We promise to go back and stay longer,” Dongwoo told them behind the window. They are all cramped in the car with the same position. They rolled the windows down to say their goodbyes at Sungmin and Kyuhyun. And not to mention, Sachi too. “I’ll tell mom we dropped by.”

“We’ll visit you next time too,” Sungmin told them reaching down and cupping Gongchan’s face motherly. Gongchan nodded and Kyuhyun leaned next ruffling his hair. He let out a pout and Jinyoung sneered.

“Thank you for having us,” Sunwoo told them and exchanged knowing looks with Kyuhyun. It felt like a deep secret between him and Kyuhyun. Sungmin smiled at him and bowed.

“Take care on your way,” Kyuhyun replied as he tapped the car and Jinyoung steered the wheel before blowing the horn lightly. Sachi barked in reply.

“Bye, bye!”

 

 

They were quiet on their way home. Only the tunes from the radio played nonstop but their faces had smiles on them and Junghwan felt he belonged in a group that got even closer with just a day of stay in their home. He hoped that he can have another moment like this with these people and with his parents.

He basked into total bliss. He recalled everything that happened between Sunwoo and him this morning and did he just do everything back then? He held his cane tightly and sunk into the seat deeper when Sunwoo nudged him. He looked at Sunwoo and Sunwoo leaned closer to kiss him on the cheek. He told him to get some rest because traffic will spoil their way. He nodded and closed his eyes as he leaned against Sunwoo’s shoulder. Sunwoo reached for his free hand and held it tightly, feeling the slender fingers entwined with his.

Dongwoo helped Jinyoung with directions to get to Junghwan’s house. It was past 4 when they arrived at his apartment and he stifled a yawn when Sunwoo woke him. Gongchan was in deep sleep when Sunwoo helped Junghwan off the car and grabbed the empty picnic basket from the trunk.

They stayed and waited while Sunwoo walked him to the door. They exchanged goodbyes and Sunwoo made sure to ask for Junghwan’s number before pushing him inside and leaning down to kiss him goodnight. Junghwan nodded and searched for his face, mapping routes on his cheek before stepping fully in and replying a sweet good night.

When Sunwoo got back in the car, they didn’t say anything but Jinyoung and Dongwoo exchanged knowing looks before Sunwoo could bark and order him to drive. Gongchan was still in his deep sleep, totally innocent on what’s happening when they arrived at the pub and they dropped Dongwoo off the street.

“Thank you so much,” Dongwoo told them as he flashed his smile and Jinyoung nodded.

“I had a great time too,” Jinyoung replied and Sunwoo smiled at Dongwoo before Dongwoo pushed away and headed inside the pub. Gongchan let out a somehow disrupted snore and the best friends laughed as Sunwoo transferred sits from the back to the passenger’s seat while Jinyoung is driving and the older looked at him with furrowed eyebrows.

“Hey it’s been a long time,” Sunwoo muttered, buckling his seatbelt and Jinyoung eyed him when the traffic light turned red. “Can we?”

Jinyoung gazed at him for a few seconds before throwing a warm smile and switched back to the stirring wheel. He understood what Sunwoo wants and he doesn’t obliged. It’s been a part of their friendship and Sunwoo’s dad been good to him too ever since grade school.

They dropped by a flower shop and Gongchan stirred awake when Sunwoo had placed a bouquet of Colchicum flowers wrapped in clear plastic. “Best days are past,” Gongchan muttered and Sunwoo beamed at him. Colchicum means ‘best days are past’ and Sunwoo had to agreed because days with his dad were the best days of his entire life.

Jinyoung turned to a near convenience store and gas stop. Gongchan ran out as quickly as he can to grab food and drinks because he had figured out where they are headed next. Sunwoo went to buy warm packs and Jinyoung filled the tank. He laughed at Gongchan coming back carrying a bag filled with chips, bread and sparkling water bottles.

“I miss eomma,” Gongchan said as he got in and Sunwoo snorted at him.

“Sungmin-eomma?”

Gongchan nodded as he zipped his jacket close and wore his hood. “Don’t look at me like that! I miss his cooking of course!”

Jinyoung laughed and started the car and drove off again.

 

 

It happened two years ago, and it happened too quickly for Sunwoo to grasp. He rushed to the hospital, Jinyoung’s parents’ hospital, when his mom had called him, trying her best to mutter out words in between sobs. When he reached the hospital, he saw his mom and younger sister hurdled in one of the benches, crying miserably. He knew by then that his dad didn’t make it and he had to take responsibility because now that the CEO had been replaced.

Jinyoung and Gongchan were there when he cried silently in one of the cubicles because he didn’t want his mom and younger sister see how he felt. He wanted to be strong for the two of them. He didn’t want to cry in front of them. He can’t.

They sat on the grass and Sunwoo offered them warm packets. Gongchan opened the chips and lied on Jinyoung’s lap. “How long has it been?” Gongchan asked and Sunwoo looked at the his dad’s grave.

“Two years,” Sunwoo replied and Jinyoung offered him water.

“I miss him,” he added and the other two fell silent. Jinyoung tucked his hands in Gongchan’s jacket casually and Gongchan folded his legs, feeling the cold air enveloping them.

Their friendship started off unexpected, actually. They are in their college years all tumbled together in a business gathering. Sunwoo's dad is one of the famous CEOs while Jinyoung’s dad is a prominent doctor. As for Gongchan, he’s one smart intern working for Sunwoo’s dad and was lucky enough to tag in the party and clicked naturally with Sunwoo despite the plain and most of the times, spaced out attitude. Jinyoung had been asked to attend the parties and despite the fact that he hated it, he felt thankful enough having someone to talk to, he was thankful meeting Gongchan in the buffet table swarming to piles of cupcakes and desserts. He found him funny and crazy when Sunwoo approached them and they just all clicked comfortably.

“Kyuhyun-appa made me miss my dad,” Sunwoo revealed as he took a sip of his water and laid his eyes on his father’s grave. “It was a nice feeling.”

They all stayed in silence. It was dark already and there are no one around the cemetery when they got there. It was only the twinkling stars from the pitch black sky and small light coming from Gongchan’s phone lit up the place. Sunwoo stuffed some chips in his mouth and Jinyoung ruffled Gongchan’s hair.

They haven’t changed and Sunwoo liked the quite yet wonderful and warm company he feels when he’s with them. And he treasured them just as much as he treasure his parents and the company. He lied against Gongchan and stared at the sky.

“So,” Jinyoung said, as he rest his palms against the ground and leaned back, his arms supporting him. “I saw you and Junghwan kissed.”

Sunwoo glared at his doctor friend and Gonghcan laughed loudly that Jinyoung had to pinch him on the nose. No, they’re not together, they just so perfectly comfortable to each other that Sunwoo doesn’t even mind how clingy they are to each other. And it doesn’t creep him out. If there’s one thing he’s creeped at right now, that’s Jinyoung telling him that he had seen Junghwan kissing him.

“You really did?” Gongchan asked, resting his head more comfortably on Jinyoung’s laps and Sunwoo felt silent. He really did, and here’s the thing, both eomma and appa have seen us too, so yeah, great, right? Sunwoo stopped himself from spilling even more.

“We—I… we sort of did,” Sunwoo mumbled as he placed his arm and made it his pillow on the ground. He smiled contentedly and reached out his free arm to pinch Gongchan in the side.

“You guys bully me always!”

They spent more time chatting about overseas, about work and about their dreams in the future and this time they include Dongwoo and Junghwan because they all new having them two are just one of the best things that happened in their friendship and in their life; Gongchan even mentioned how he enjoyed playing with Sachi and despite Kyuhyun-appa’s snarky comments, he liked him too.

It was all better again with Jinyoung around and how they start enjoying living normal again. They enjoyed life away from work, away from the board of members rooting and wanting him down, and away from stress. It feels better again, this time. It feels all better now that he’s Junghwan with him, sort of.

“So are you two together now?” Gongchan croaked, finishing his water bottle.

Sunwoo didn’t reply to that, but sure he did blush like mad.

 

A/N:  This is not me, I don't usually update later than two days but I just can't help but just stare on the screen because my muse just died for some quite time. And no, I never liked it. Anyway, here's the update and hopefully you liked it. Hooray for Sunwoo and Junghwan together now! Yeay! Just wait patiently for my updates please. Thank you! And one thing, comments are ❤️