Junghwan

I Wish that I can See the World through Your Eyes

It was rather too cold, and he had to repeat it for so many times now because it’s been too cold for his liking these past days. He can’t quite compare his situation because he can’t see people or the weather or of any sort from any like.

 

 He opened his eyes but nothing is different; it still is pitch black. He sighed as he rolled on the other side of the bed and smiled to himself while recalling stupidly about the events of last night. 

 

He had a king size bed to himself and Dongwoo had even asked him if he’s in his right mind to buy one big bed for himself. He like rolling on his bed on the mornings or whenever he feels so giddy and happy and totally has been one of those moments that he extremely feels ecstatic. He heard his phone ring and he rolled back near the bedside and grabbed it knowingly. He opened the flip and placed it near his ear.

 

“Yeobosoyo?”

 

“Are you up?”

 

“Yes, why? What time is it?”

 

“I’ll leave your food on the shelf, be sure to finish all of it. It’s around 8 in the morning, go get ready for work.” The lady exclaimed happily and Junghwan smiled while pulling the blanket on his chest.

 

“Yes I will. Thank you so much ahjumma!” Junghwan replied over the phone.

 

Ever since Junghwan had found an apartment on his own, despite the distance from his workplace, he enjoyed his home all to himself. It’s a small one flat with a small kitchen and bathroom which are both filled with basic things. He had vinyl records and a player at one corner and his big bed at one side across the bathroom. It’s a small apartment that covers few steps and Junghwan could’ve never been happier.

 

The old lady next door who’s kind enough to prepare him food for breakfast because Junghwan can only manage do little things with his lack of sight and fear of knives. He used to be a good cook but it had been stopped after the incident that made him lost his sight forever.

 

He got up and pulled the blanket with him. He slowly looked for the ends, feeling the corners and matching it properly—folding it neatly. He placed it atop his pillow and grabbed the cane on the tabletop. He stretched it and headed for the record player. 

 

Junghwan felt the brails on the vinyl cases to choose which song to play. After deciding to play some ballad for the morning, he searched for the on button. Lifting the reproducer, he placed the vinyl on the turntable and turned the knob carefully, increasing the volume.

 

He stood up and slid a door to the bathroom. 

 

When he finished taking a bath, he headed for the front door and scanned for the lunch box in the shelf. He smiled and latched the strap in his shoulder before going inside.

 

It happened 5 years ago when Junghwan was still 17 and his parents were still alive. They were about to watch a theatre play his parents had promised him after finishing the school with flying colors. They were in a car, heading happily towards the theatre when a ten-wheeler truck accidentally lost its break and drove towards them. His father had tried avoiding the crash but the truck was long and as it made a sharp turn, the driver had lost calculations, unable to do anything from hitting Junghwan’s car. 

 

It had caused such a scene and Junghwan’s car had stumbled down the river. He had never remembered anything but voices he heard the moment he woke up and he cried endlessly because he cannot see anything from that day on.

 

A woman, who was his parents best friend, took care of him because there was no one who would willing to take in someone with disability. She took Junghwan and entered him in her school. The school of the blind and taught him everything he needed to learn. That’s when he met Dongwoo and considered him as a friend.

 

He finished his meal while listening through his records. He got up and headed straight to the kitchen to wash the dishes and tupperware his neighbour had lent him.

 

After packing and cleaning out his phone rang. He snatched is from his side pocket and placed it on his ear. 

 

“Are you up?” came the voice and Junghwan closed the door and locked it next.

 

“Yes. I ate too, ahjumma fed me,” Junghwan replied and he heard the voice laugh.

 

“Okay, be safe on your way here,” Dongwoo reminded him and Junghwan just waved it off as he started walking towards the bus stop, approximately a 10 minute walk away from home.

 

“Okay, I will.” Junghwan said while smiling. He folded the phone and slid in his bag. He can feel the warm sunshine and cold breeze touching the skin and today is another day for exploring. He heard a few people greeting him and he waved back while trying to look for their direction and motioning himself towards them. He heard kids running and mums giggling. He smelled pancakes and waffles on the air and he never felt better.

 

Despite his dark life, he can never really say that it’s been a sad life because he is still blessed with good people surrounding him. But then he felt too cold that his body freezed and for a moment he didn't know why but what had been pitch black had grown quiet too and the last thing he heard was a loud horn from a truck near by.

 

 

 

 

“What are you smiling at?” Sunwoo tensed and he closed his laptop shut. He glared at the voice and smiled widely when he saw his long time friend standing in front of him. He’d been too engrossed with Junghwan and business deals that he hadn’t heard the door opened.

 

“I told you he’s been acting like an idiot lately,” another voice came and Sunwoo glared at Gongchan who offered him a bag of chips.

 

“So much for corporate,” Sunwoo commented as he stood up grabbing the bag after hugging Jinyoung who’s staring at him with pure disgust. Or somewhere near disgust.

 

“You Spam boy! How are you?” Jinyoung rolled his eyes but hugged him back and flashed a wide smile.

 

“Never been better,” Jinyong replied and Gongchan sat at one of the couches and munched the chips to himself. (He managed to snatch it back while the two were hugging.)

 

They both sat and joined the youngest member to feast on some snacks.

 

“I’ve been to Madrid and then to Dubai,” Jinyoung told, sipping on his tea. “It’s been a wonderful experience. Medicine had improved so much. We made android models of arms, legs and feet. We can make a crippled person walk with modern medicine.”

 

“Never knew you’d be a great doctor,” Gongchan chirped as he took the last chip and slouched on the chair. 

 

“You’re still Crong,” Jinyoung huffed and Gongchan glared at him. “And don’t worry, I missed you.”

 

Gongchan waved it off and pointed Sunwoo, “He misses you too and he loves some blind singer.”

 

Sunwoo almost choke on his marshmallows and gazed at his doctor friend. “You’re what?”

 

Jinyoung grinned and leaned closer towards him. “Is it real what Crong is saying?”

 

Sunwoo just stared at him but averted his gaze in defeat, “Yes, I believe I am.”

 

The two lads laughed hysterically and Sunwoo started throwing marshmallows at them. People outside his office started throwing worried and puzzled looks at each other. After what seems to be an hour had passed, they both heard two men crying in pain as if something hard had hit them on the head.

 

“So what else do you have in store for me?” Jinyoung asked as he slouched on the couch and Sunwoo had transferred back to his seat, reading through his files while Gongchan sat himself across Jinyoung munching another bag of chips. This is just one of those days he enjoyed Jinyoung because he need not to rush with work and tend to Sunwoo’s mood swings because there would be none.

 

Sunwoo eyed Gongchan behind bundles of folios, “I’ll cut your salary for slacking.” He said and the assistant jumped to Jinyoung and hugged him.

 

“Jinyoungiiee,” Gongchan whimpered and the doctor laughed at them.

 

“Oh come on, don’t be mean to him.” Jinyoung defended as Gongchan tried to pull off his puppy eyes. “Besides, you should be thankful he stayed behind and decided to help you with work.”

 

Sunwoo’s eyes fell and his smirk disappeared when he realised that Jinyoung’s words made sense. 

 

“That’s right, that’s right,” Gongchan whined as he smack another chip into his mouth. “Jinyoung you really do love me!” Jinyoung only snorted and ruffled his hair before eyeing Sunwoo who continued signing contracts.

 

“Anyway, shouldn’t you guys treat me to dinner since I just got back?”

 

Gongchan’s grin widened and nodded furiously clinging to Jinyoung like a kid given a treat. “Food! Food!”

 

Sunwoo looked at the odd pair and leaned against the chair. “Crong, sometimes I can’t help but wonder how you managed to qualify to my standards as my right hand.”

 

Gongchan only snickered and Jinyoung laughed at him. 

 

 

 

 

“It’s been a while,” Dongwoo greeted them and Sunwoo nodded while spotting their favourite seat of the house. Dongwoo offered wine and handed the menu. Jinyoung and Gongchan both scanned for something to eat when Sunwoo followed Dongwoo and the manager looked at him confused.

 

“Hey I’m wondering if I can see Junghwan for a minute?” Sunwoo asked and Dongwoo looked at him with half-broken eyes. He started to get worried.

 

“He’s sick. His neighbor called me and told me he has fever. He collapsed along the street on his way to work,” Dongwoo replied sadly and Sunwoo tensed with a frown.

 

“He’s sick? Collapsed? Since when?” 

 

“It’s been two days now, I would really like to find time to visit him but we’re too busy and my performers are slowly withering,” Dongwoo explained as they walked towards the bar and Dongwoo instructed one of his crew to take in charge of the new set customers. He felt the weight of worry and trouble in Dongwoo's voice and he would be willing to do anything to help.

 

“Can I visit him?” Sunwoo asked and then realising that Dongwoo’s not his boyfriend or anything and kicked himself for asking. “I mean, if you don’t mind. I won’t take advantage of him, I promise!”

 

Dongwoo laughed and grabbed something under the counter. It’s a bag filled with fruits, a thermos with soup and tupperware with cooked meat. “I was planning to take these to him after work but that would be so late. I don’t know if he had eaten anything yet since you know his case.” Dongwoo cleared his throat and Sunwoo nodded as he reached for the bag. “If you don’t mind, I want you to bring this to him.”

 

Sunwoo smiled, “Oh, can you tell Gongchan and our friend that I’ll make it up to them next time? I should go.” 

 

Dongwoo nodded and smiled warmly. Sunwoo dashed out the pub and went to his car as swiftly as possible.

 

 

“Eh? Where’s Sunwoo?” Gongchan asked and Jinyoung looked at the manager. Dongwoo joined them on the table. A random waiter approached them and offered them another round of wine.

 

“He went to Junghwan’s,” Dongwoo explained as he drink his share of wine, “Anyway, he said I should tell you that he’ll make it up to you guys next time.” 

 

Gongchan nodded while Jinyoung continued to stare at Dongwoo, “I’m Jinyoung,” the doctor introduced out of nowhere. “How long have you been friends with my friends?”

 

“I’m Dongwoo,” Dongwoo chirped, “I am not their friends, they just happen to hang out in the pub for quite some time.” He replied warmly.

 

“Did you miss us?” Gongchan asked playfully as he took a mouthful of his rice and a bite of meat. Dingo glared at him behind his glasses and rolled his eyes. 

 

“Crong is always playful, isn’t he?” Jinyoung asked as he bit his bread and looked at Dongwoo who’s half-smiling.

 

“Junghwan missed Sunwoo that’s for sure,” Dongwoo muttered back and the two men grimaced in knowingly.

 

“Is that why he’s not here? Where is he anyway?” 

 

“He’s sick.”

 

“Eh, why?” Gongchan asked and Jinyoung elbowed him. Dongwoo laughed.

 

“Fever. He’s been complaining that it’s too cold recently,” Dongwoo explained and Jinyoung nodded can’t help but ask more questions about Junghwan and his state while Dongwoo answered him on every detail that concerns medicine, Gongchan was feasting happily on food.

 

As for Sunwoo, Sunwoo’s driving as quickly as possible to reach Junghwan’s house.