Pub

I Wish that I can See the World through Your Eyes

It’s been forever since Sunwoo had a time for himself. Well, since he’s one arrogant CEO of the shipping deal in Seoul, he actually has time for everything, but the past week had been so hectic and energy-draining, he needed a night's rest. He slouched on his chair and loosened his necktie. The door opened and he stared blankly at his assistant standing before him, flashing a sly smile.

“You’re free for the night,” Gongchan stammered while holding a clipboard against his chest, ruffling his hair while scanning the list. “Well, at least for tonight. You have a meeting at 8 in the morning with the board directors.”

Sunwoo huffed and grabbed a candy from his candy box while placing it carefully in his mouth. He had a thing for sweets and Gongchan tried to cast a serious look. “So if you have overboarding plans for tonight, you better behave tomorrow. You know how they hold much grudge against you.”

Sunwoo cracked his fingers and sat up straight, “I know. You don’t have to remind me every time.”

“That’s why they want it from you,” Gonchan defended as he approached the door, “You’re childish at times and you don't listen. Not that I have anything against your candies, but you get what I mean?”

Sunwoo snorted and pointed the door, “I’ll just eat out then I'll go straight home. I won’t get myself into trouble.”

Gongchan opened the door and stepped out before turning back and drawing a look at the CEO, his boss and his friend. “Yeah right. Why don’t we eat out together, just to be sure?”

Sunwoo closed his eyes in an annoyance, “Get,” he pointed out and he heard the door closed.

Gongchan and his overprotective attitude against him, Sunwoo thought as he leaned against the chair and looked at the glass window. It’s approaching nighttime and the night view of Seoul is truly a beauty. He can never get tired of this and how he had been hoping to make his parents proud. He opened one drawer from his left and picked up a photo frame. It is a picture of his dad and little Sunwoo.

He’s always the sentimental guy when he's around his dad and he’s been a proud daddy’s boy. That's why when his dad died in a car accident two years ago he had to make sure to be there for the company and for his family. It would’ve been easier if he gained the board of members’ trusts but nothing in life is easy and Sunwoo, despite all efforts and hardships, he had gained none.

“Such pity,” Sunwoo scowled to himself staring at the photo and smiling brokenly to himself. He placed it back inside the drawer and closed it shut. He grabbed another marshmallow and stood up, grabbing his jacket and off to the carpark.

--

Usually, Tuesdays should be people free or at least, that's what Sunwoo thinks because the moment he went searching for a restaurant to eat at, he quietly grumbled to himself and to his complaining stomach that he ended up in a pub instead. He doesn’t like pubs and yet here is, inside one seemingly decent, vice-free pub. There’s jazz music playing on the stage and the entire place is quite apposite. Definitely, opposite from the usual pubs he had seen from the other streets awhile ago.

He scanned through the menu and looked for something decent to eat. He hadn’t had time for himself and this is the first thing that he’ll be doing something leisurely. Great, Sunwoo stammered inside his head. He figured that he should’ve agreed with Gongchan’s offer to eat together. Yeah, that would’ve been better.

His plate of meat and pasta arrived and he thanked the skinny lady wearing a red tube dress. He find it confusing but ignored as he slurped his pasta and drank his wine. A few people occupied the pub and the band stopped playing their saxophone-enthralling performance. He was on his last bite of meat when the light flashed centre-stage and a man stood under it. Sunwoo gazed at the man and stopped chewing. Unquestionably, Sunwoo was stunned.

Music started to play in the background and the man held the microphone with his left hand. He started singing syllables and elucidating words and Sunwoo was beyond words. He had fallen for his voice.

--

He was on his way to his car after finishing two glasses of red wine and listening to the singer finish two songs and an encore request from a random men a few tables away from him whom, he find rude and bumptious because clearly, they’ve been way too overboard. Not that he wants to be a good guy but asking the singer strip on the stage is just too much. He gets it that it’s a pub but it was not just some pub. It played jazz. Normal pubs don't play jazz, was his argument.

He was about to get in the car and start the engine when he heard voices coming from the his left side. He turned and saw the same two rude men cornering the poor singer. He was just going to ignore the situation because Gongchan had warned him about the meeting tomorrow and getting into a fight won’t be a good presentation but one man had strangled the singer and that made Sunwoo ditched about his previous thoughts.

“You are one tough cookie,” one man huffed as he grasped the singer by the neck and the young lad coughed trying to set free.

“Let me go,” he fought and the men laughed.

“Not until you let us have a taste,” the other man replied after gulping on his beer.

“No,” the singer replied and tried resisting. He was wiggling under the hold and kicking them forcefully, but failed because his legs won’t even reach them. He heard them laugh. He can’t think of anything to do, he’s just too weak. He thought of shouting but he just doesn’t know if there are people around.

“Hey,” he furrowed his eyebrows and clearly it’s a different voice. And before everything can sink in, the hand in his neck loosened and he heard curses and punches. He closed his eyes and pinned himself against the wall, trying his best to appear invisible because he doesn’t know if he can join the rampage.

Sunwoo hit the man holding the singer with a strong punch across his face and he smiled because the man was too drunk to even fight. He fell on the ground with a loud thud.

“Why you punk!” the other man shouted and ready to hit him with his bottle when Sunwoo kicked him on the sheen and he descend on the ground hitting his head on the cement. He’s happy that there had been no harm done on his face because that would’ve been difficult to explain to his secretary slash mother hen. Though, he must admit his knuckles bled a little and bruised.

He scanned the men and made sure they’re unconscious before approaching the singer planted against the wall.

“Are you all right?” Sunwoo asked and the singer opened his eyes. Sunwoo smiled and leaned closer to check for any scratches or injuries. The singer nodded and smiled at him shyly.

“Thank you,” the singer replied and shifted the bag in his shoulder. “I should get going. Thank you again.” He mumbled and bowed. He stayed still for a moment and waited for his savior's footsteps trail away.

Sunwoo swooned at the soft voice and he seriously hadn’t known what had gotten into him but he definitely would want to hear that angelic voice again. He’s just a normal human in need and if he hadn’t helped him, he must’ve been beaten to death. So why? Why is it almost confusing and troubling to feel weird sensations towards him? True, the singer is charming but then again, who would've thought that two-legged man version of mermaids do exist! Sunwoo recalled that mermaids lure their victims with their beautiful voices and he bit his bottom lip for such thoughts.

Sunwoo turned around and walked back to his car. “Okay, you’ve helped him. Now go home Sunwoo.” He convinced himself frustratingly. He got in and started the engine. He looked back to the singer who was now walking slowly under the lamppost and he cursed at himself. The man was holding a cane and striding little steps. He bit his lips and out of circumvent, he dashed off the car and hurried to the man.

“Hey,” the singer heard the voice yet again and Sunwoo paused for awhile, cursing and beating himself inside for not realising that the man was blind all along.

“Yes?” the man faced him, worry and anxious plastered on his face and Sunwoo fought the urge to smile because definitely, the man is good-looking.

“I was wondering if I could take you home?” Sunwoo asked and he dodged all the bullets he imagined Gongchan throwing at him right now. So much for acting nice today, he thought.

The man smiled and shook his head, “I live too far from here.”

Sunwoo grabbed the soft hands and pulled the singer with him, “It’s all right. I insist.”