Dongwoo

I Wish that I can See the World through Your Eyes

Even before the problem could get any worse, Jinyoung occupied the chair beside Gongchan and Sunwoo didn’t really mind the sloth-like latch, their doctor best friend is making. However, Gongchan is busy jotting down all of Sunwoo’s instructions and every once in a while, Gongchan would peel off the arm covering his face and write down the scholium. 

It was difficult to contain, this little crush going on inside his head and it’s not helping, most especially, when Junghwan’s sitting across him, messily putting pieces of strawberry slices in his mouth. He find it seductive and embarrassing but he’s certain Junghwan had no intentions of flirting with him. He knew who the problem is, he’s all aware who needs to get some yapping at and it’s definitely not Junghwan.

“So, how should we settle this?” Sunwoo asked as he sipped through his coffee and stared at Junghwan who’s busy stuffing food in his mouth.

He leaned to his side and whispered softly in Junghwan’s ears, “Seems like I tire you out last night.”

Junghwan’s eyes widened and he faced Sunwoo only to cringe his face with a taint blush. The two best friends were busy eating and exchanging schedules for today that they didn’t see the flirting that’s happening before them. Sunwoo was glad that they’re too occupied because he just can’t stop thinking about ravisihing Junghwan’s lips…any minute now.

“Will you come with them for the medical, Jinyoung?” Gongchan asked and Jinyoung blinked a couple of times before gazing at Sunwoo and to Junghwan who’s also looking at him. He gulped and arched his back.

“No, no. I won’t. I mean, I can’t.” He replied earning a shriek from Sunwoo.

“But who else will guide us in the hospital?”

"I set your appointments already. One of my colleagues will accompany you there. I had some important things to attend to." Jinyoung replied swayingly.

“Excuse me, but why are we talking about hospitals?” Junghwan asked cutely, his cheeks puffing out beautifully, Sunwoo fell for them. Jinyoung gulped at the sweet voice and he wanted his brain to die right then because thoughts rummaging in his head is undeniably irresistible.

“You need to go under tests so you can travel because you’re a PWD,” Jinyoung explained sternly as he pushed the cup to Gongchan asking for another pour. “We just need to see, uh, if you’re capable and, uh, if you can stay in Dubai for sometime.”

“How are the papers, Gongchan? Have you settled Junghwan's visa and passport?” Sunwoo asked as he wiped his lips with the table napkin and wiped Junghwan’s lips next. Jinyoung stared dumbly and gulped a good amount of coffee making him cough in the hotness and drown. He rasped helplessly and Gongchan latched an arm around him.

Ah, the clingy best friend. He looked at Gongchan and screamed at his mind to at least divert him to focus on the skinny lad pressing his body against his. He wondered why it never happened. He always wondered why he’d never fall for Gongchan. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Gongchan.

“Jinyounggiiiee~ Easy with the coffee~” Gongchan trailed and Sunwoo laughed at them. He was used to hearing Sunwoo’s laugh whenever they act lovey-dovey together but Jinyoung tensed when he heard Junghwan’s laugh and god did he felt his cheeks starting to heat?

He cleared his throat and peeled off the arm hanging on his shoulder. Gongchan laughed and focused back to his papers and folders as Sunwoo discussed meetings and contracts to deal with for the day. He, however, missed the taunt gaze Gongchan is throwing at him and Gongchan didn't like the idea of having a love triangle.

“Can Sunwoo come with us?” Junghwan asked and Sunwoo blinked at the sudden squeak he heard from his side. Oh right, he did promise about coming with them. He promised that he’d try.

"I'll see about that," Gongchan replied happily and he smiled seeing Junghwan's beamed delightfully. Who can say no to that?

Gongchan let out a sneeze when they got in the car and Jinyoung looked at his side to face the younger man. He looked tired and sick.

“You’re overdoing it,” Jinyoung told him as he grabbed a tissue from the glovebox right in front of Gongchan. He wiped the man’s nose and Gongchan slumped on the seat, buckling his seatbelt.

“I need to help Sunwoo and you, of course,” Gongchan beamed and Jinyoung ruffled his hair.

“You Crong,” Jinyoung replied as he started the engine.

“Jinyoung?”

Jinyoung looked at him, concerned with how Gongchan's voice turned raspy.

“You like Junghwan, don’t you?”

Jinyoung fell silent but started the engine still. He the a/c and looked at Gongchan who’s staring at him with wide ogle eyes.

“You can’t lie to me. I’ve seen you. And why did you even bring him out for breakfast, without Sunwoo’s consent?” Jinyoung felt his heart skip a beat in a very wrong way, “I know Sunwoo’s naïve about this. He might not even recognize this until he caught you in the act but…”

“I know. Just let me clear my mind.”

Gongchan nodded and fixed his necktie. He cracked his fingers and wiped the drip coming from his nose.

“I hate colds. When you guys leave for Dubai, I’ll ask for a break—a month long one!”

Jinyoung smiled at the whiny best friend but he agreed that having a break seemed the best thing he's needed. Especially when he’s been working nonstop so they can all bond and help Sunwoo with the increasing pressure in the ports and harbours. He stepped on the gas and drove to Gongchan’s office. They were silent on the trip but they both knew that Jinyoung had to think carefully and must start doing things that will save Sunwoo’s relationship, and his relationship with his best friend. He’s not supposed to play the bad guy here. If any, he should be the one supportive friend, Sunwoo can trust to.

He didn’t know what came into him but he had nowhere to run to, and going to the hospital would just ruin his lie. He rather not accompany Sunwoo than to feel anguished and lost with his little, not so little, crush towards Junghwan. Jinyoung turned right and parked at the empty lot after passing a couple of blocks.

He glanced at his watch and wondered if the pub’s open already. He scanned around the area before getting off the car. He’s uncertain but he willed himself to take a step and walk towards the front when the door banged open and he found two buff men walkout the building. He planted himself and stared unappealingly at the mug-looking guys wearing black suites and snickering off-putting grins.

“What are you looking at?” One of them said and Jinyoung moved to his side unwillingly, curios with the rude manner.

He turned to face the two who are now crossing the street and entered another restaurant he figured they’ll bully too next. He sighed as he entered the room and found the place all torn apart and wrecked. He blinked his eyes and found the tables and chairs turned upside down, there were broken plates on the floor, cutleries scattered on the ground, curtains ripped and couches almost blown.

At the stage he found the instruments and some of the staff gathered, and completely unharmed. His mind panicked a bit and searched for the manager.

He walked further and motioned towards the bar when a waiter approached him. “You’re friends with boss, aren’t you?”

“Y-yeah,” he replied quickly and noticed the shiver in the man’s voice. “Where’ is Dongwoo?”

“He’s at the back, one of the staff is attending to his wounds.”

Wounds? Those two men then..? He quickly dashed to the backroom and found Dongwoo’s lying motionless on the couch; the left corner of his lips and right eye bruised and swollen. The waitress attending to his wounds was shaking he shook his head and knelt beside her.

“Why don’t I do that,” he said nicely and the woman looked up at him with tears on her face. She nodded and stepped away. “Get me a basin of warm water, a wash cloth and a glass of water for him to drink.”

She nodded willingly and disappeared hastily. Jinyoung folded his sleeves and positioned himself so he’s comfortable attenuating to Dongwoo. He scanned for any wounds and bruises when the waitress appeared back carrying a tray of what he asked to. He thanked her and told her to get some air outside. She nodded and left to leave her boss under the care of Jinyoung.

He dampened the soaked cloth on Dongwoo’s face and wiped the blood stains clean his face. He quivered in the contact of something warm and cool air on his face. Jinyoung applied ointment on Dongwoo’s lips and eyelids before applying the small band aid.

He watched as the man breathed peacefully, his bangs moving in unison as he puff in for air. He set aside the first aid kit and the basin on the table and removed his gray suit jacket. He wrapped it around Dongwoo and tucked it behind the shoulders. He figured Dongwoo won’t wake till after an hour or so after the impact from beating. Jinyoung stood up and went to the pub to help Dongwoo’s staff to clean.

 

After an hour, Dongwoo stirred and felt his face pang at the wounds from his lips and eyelids. He touched it gingerly and fondled his fingertips on the band ad covering his wounds. He sat up slowly and the jacket rolled down his lap. He looked at it quizzically and tried his best to recall if any of his staff owned a very expensive suit jacket. He got up and went to the pub. Dongwoo took a slow step at first and furrowed his eyebrows seeing a well-dressed man, in his crisp white undershirt and grey neatly ironed dress pants lifting table and turning chairs properly. He recognised that the color of the dress pants and the jacket he’s holding are matching.

The man turned around and Dongwoo felt a tint of heat crept on his cheeks. The man let out a fox-like smile and walked towards him. Dongwoo cleared his throat and blinked at Jinyoung who’s face is just a few inches away from him.

“Do you feel better now?” Jinyoung asked and Dongwoo looked at the toned muscles traced obviously, and perfectly under the sleeves. His black hair’s pointing at all directions Dongwoo smiled more at Jinyoung’s face than to answer his questions.

“What are you doing here?” Dongwoo asked as he held tightly on the jacket and Jinyoung noticed the hands filled with scars. He grabbed Dongwoo’s right hand and scanned it throughly. Why didn’t he see those scars awhile ago? Dongwoo looked up at him, flabbergasted and Jinyoung looked at him narrowly. Dongwoo pulled back his hand and gulped at taunting stare casted upon him.

Jinyoung’s eyes softened and instead, he beamed at him. “Can I take you out for lunch?”

Dongwoo’s eyes widen and then he looked at the playful grin on his face. He shook his head but found himself agreeing and Jinyoung smiled at him. “You’re really friends with Sunwoo. You prat.”

Jinyoung only laughed and grabbed his hand. Dongwoo looked for his assistant and told them to clean and close down the store. He gave them quick instructions and notified them about coming back to work tomorrow. They all agreed and felt relieved because the traumatic scene surely made a fuss with the neighbouring stores and working today will just put everything to distress. He turned around to face Jinyoung staring at him intently he had to ask.

“What?”

“Nothing. Let’s eat, it’s almost noon already.” He replied and Dongwoo nodded as he followed Jinyoung out the pub. His eyes faltered for a moment with the sudden brightness and he blinked his eyes before placing his glasses back. He perched it up nicely and trailed touches on his wounds. He dreaded the idea of getting into trouble but he couldn’t help it. He hadn’t seen this coming.

Jinyoung stuffed food in his mouth like a mad machine. Dongwoo watched him like he’s some poor boy beaten down with hunger.

“As far as I can remember, I was the one who’s all beaten down and not you,” Dongwoo exclaimed as he fixed his chopsticks aside and sipped from his glass.

Jinyoung nodded. Of course, he’s tired too. He wasn’t expecting all of these things to flash right in front of him. He had been in a dilemma early in the morning because he’s crush on Junghwan just worsens. Added to that, Gongchan sees through him and all he wanted was to seek companion from Dongwoo but Dongwoo’s all beaten up and he needed to do something to help. But he felt bad for acting like this, stuffing food in moouth like he's the one hi and bruised badly.

He drowned himself with water and Dongwoo looked at him with worry. He almost bloated out the contents in his mouth when he coughed and Dongwoo stood up to rub a hand at his back.

“Careful!” Dongwoo exclaimed and he nodded before gulping everything in one go and Dongwoo wiped his mouth with a table napkin. “I really do wonder where it all go.”

And they both knew he was referring to the food.

Dongwoo sat back to his seat and stared at Jinyoung who’s also staring back at him. He slouched on his seat and looked at the frame glasses and bangs covering Dongwoo’s face.

Dongwoo was also looking at him behind glasses, face a bit numb from the wounds but still warm and sensing. He watched as Jinyoung looked away and drank onto his glass awkwardly. He definitely had to laugh to that. Jinyoung looked at him with wide, confused eyes.

“What are you doing in the pub anyway?” Dongwoo asked and Jinyoung felt a bit more awkward to tell the truth and his complicated feelings. He couldn’t just blurt, ‘Hey, I have a crush on your best friend, who happens to be the boyfriend of my best friend. Touché, isn’t it? Hooray!’ but instead he just smiled at him and waved it off.

“So I guess you’re free for the rest of the day?” Jinyoung asked as he called for the waiter’s attention for the bill.

Dongwoo nodded and looked at him skeptical. “You can say that. I’ll return to the pub and check on things in the evening, why’d you ask?”

“Let’s go buy things, I’ll be leaving in two days.” He said and Dongwoo recalled that he’ll be leaving for Dubai with Junghwan. And he wondered why, but he felt a slight, tiny, little pang in his heart. Is it even normal? He doubted that.