Stars

I Wish that I can See the World through Your Eyes

 

“He what?” Dongwoo asked, obviously flabbergasted behind the bar while wiping the beer mugs clean. Junghwan was sitting on one of the stools and arching towards the counter. His cane is folded and placed on the counter before him. He fixed his hear with his hand, feeling the strands against him and nodded at the man near him.

 

“He asked me out,” Junghwan replied and scanned for his glass of water when Dongwoo pushed it near him.

 

“And what did you say?” 

 

“I said no,” Junghwan answered and Dongwoo felt relieved. Not that he’s against Junghwan and dating, or worried because people might take advantage of his innocence, but then again maybe those are some of the reasons he’s all mother hen when it comes to Junghwan.

 

He met Junghwan a few years back in a school for the blind. He toured around the place because his mom was a teacher there. He was wandering along the corridor when he heard a beautiful voice in one of the classrooms. He peeked at the room and found Junghwan sitting still in one of the chairs and singing a wonderful medly of Kim Yoon-ah’s Nocturne. The voice literally brought shivers and Dongwoo found himself tearing up when he heard his voice. That’s when he asked Junghwan to work as a singer in his pub. Junghwan agreed and Dongwoo had vowed to his mom that he’ll take care of Junghwan because he lives on his own after losing his parents in an accident. That’s why he’s all protective and caring when it comes to Junghwan. 

 

“I wonder though,” Junghwan muttered mindlessly, “What does he look like?”

 

Dongwoo looked at him and his lips formed a small smile. “You only met him once and you’re starting to grow feelings on him?” 

 

Junghwan smiled and shook his head, “I met him last night.”

 

“You what? Now, now, Junghwan,” Dongwoo began in a motherly tone and Junghwan laughed angelically before grabbing the cane from the counter and stretching it out. “You met him last night? What happened last night?”

 

Junghwan only shrugged and started walking away with a smile plastered on his face. He headed carefully for the staffroom gaining a decent hi’s and hello’s from other staff members.

 

“Yah! Junghwan! Yah! Aish, for someone who’s blind, you walk too fast,” Dongwoo shook his head and continued wiping the shot glasses. 

 

 

 

Sunwoo sat on his chair and read through files and agreements to check. Every page accomplished, he snatched a marshmallow and nibbled on it annoyingly. He can clearly understand Junghwan, for turning him down. But his pride was just crushed into ground and he doesn’t like it when that happens. However, he’s eating his candies with such haste not because he’s mad at Junghwan for rejecting him, but because Gongchan had called him for an emergency meeting.

 

Gongchan entered the room and Sunwoo looked at him behind files. “We lost how many deals today?” His secretary approached him and scanned through his clipboard.

 

“Exactly 32 deals,” Gongchan replied and Sunwoo stretched his jaws. 

 

“That many? In just one day? How can that be possible?”

 

“Yes that many, in just 2 hours.” Gongchan huffed and looked at his boss glaring at him.

 

“In just two hours?!” Sunwoo cracked his fist and winced. He had totally forgotten his bruised hand. 

 

“If you haven’t ditched the lunch-date this wouldn’t be happening,” Gongchan answered and Sunwoo sulked.

 

“Don’t start with me Crong,” and his secretary glared back. No one uses that Crong nickname but JinYoung and him and it annoys him. “Are you sure they’re not behind this? Any member of the board?”

 

Gongchan sighed and approached the table, reaching a piece of paper to Sunwoo. “Oh I know this is one of their doing. I met the port’s daughter during lunch time and she handed me this. She was in tears, apologizing for this to happen.”

 

Sunwoo scanned the page and bolted upon seeing the note. It was a threat written in red ink. “He wants you down,” Gongchan exclaimed sadly and Sunwoo just ignored the concern and the thoughts.

 

“Find whoever wrote this and fire him,” Sunwoo instructed, anger boiling in his veins. “For now, make sure all contracts signed and agreed on must be protected. We must make sure that the rest of our tied companies will keep on to their words. I don’t want to lose another great number of deals.”

 

Sunwoo instructed as he rubbed his temples and arched on the chair. “It’s happening all over again,” he muttered breathlessly and Gongchan asked for tea over the phone. In a matter of seconds, a lady with a tray of pot and cups entered the room. Gongchan smiled and the woman bowed down before closing the door with a soft thud.

 

He prepared him tea and offer the cup to Sunwoo. “I’ll handle with this one. Don’t worry, we’ll get by.”

 

Sunwoo reached for the cup and sipped to his Jasmine tea slowly. “This happened too before dad died. One moment he lost some of his deals then an accident made his death all perfectly too well.”

 

Gongchan just stared at him and tried to push away the saddening thoughts, “And we’ll do anything just to prevent the death part. Or anything from loosing more deals,” Gongchan replied flashing his warmest smile. 

 

Sunwoo smiled back half-heartedly and heaved out a sigh.

 

“So anyway, how’s your date?” Gongchan asked and Sunwoo almost spilled hot tea on his shirt.

 

“There was no date!” Gongchan only replied with a sly smile.

 

 

 

 

It was rather too cold and Junghwan had dressed perfectly for this night’s singing occurrence. Nothing grand or branded but just a simple white buttoned down shirt with a black tie and salmon pink vest to match the dimming lights. The jazz band had done performing a few songs and it’s his turn to effectuate.

 

He can hear applauses from the small audience and he wondered if Sunwoo was there again, watching him. Maybe he’d been a little too hopeful, maybe he’d been too hopeful because there’s no way Sunwoo would be there again after he had rejected him this afternoon. Besides, it seems that Sunwoo is a pretty busy man because one phone call made him roll on his heels and leave him. He actually felt bad for being left behind because he seriously thought Sunwoo would fought for a date and yet he decided to dash off.

 

Junghwan must’ve been gone mad for thinking things about a person he can’t even see. He must’ve gone crazy for thinking that Sunwoo’s a wonderful, beautiful and charming guy. But what if Sunwoo is? Then he must’ve lost all opportunities on getting to know him because certainly, there’s no way he’d be here listening to him sing. 

 

He held the microphone and started singing Kim Yoona’s Nocturne with his heart out. 

 

Sunwoo was staring at him with enticed and enchanted eyes. 

 

“So that’s the person you like?” Gongchan whispered and Sunwoo nodded as he drank on to his wine. 

 

“And here you are again,” Dongwoo startled the two men in corporate attires and Sunwoo looked at him behind the wineglass. Of all people to be serving them, this waiter again. Seriously, this pub needs more staff and bigger, bigger area so Dongwoo would just have trouble finding him when he’s around.

 

“We’re here to eat,” Sunwoo defended and Gongchan nodded in agreement. 

 

“I can see that,” Dongwoo chirped back while sitting down across the two men. “He got famous because of that song.”

 

Sunwoo looked at him piercingly and Gongchan slurped on his pasta while staring astonishingly at the man in glasses. “That’s his first debut song as a singer in my pub.”

 

“You’re the manager?” Gongchan asked between forkfuls. 

 

Dongwoo glared back at him and he averted the gaze by just focusing on his food. “I help with work.”

 

Sunwoo just gazed at him and let him continue talking.

 

“He’s been blind ever since we’re friends and ever since he started working here,” Dongwoo uttered and Sunwoo fell silent while Gongchan tried to munch on his food quietly. “He sings very well but he can’t go anywhere or work anywhere because he’s blind. I'm taking care of him because I promised my mom, his teacher, in a school for the blind.”

 

Dongwoo stood up and fixed his glasses while staring down at Sunwoo who’s looking up at him, “What I’m saying is, I don’t want him getting hurt. Don’t take advantage of the blind,” he finished and turned to his heels assisting a group of ladies with their orders.

 

“Did he just threatened you?” Gongchan asked while sipping his wine and wiping his lips.

 

“Crong really suits you as a nickname,” Sunwoo avowed back. “You keep on butting in.”

 

Gongchan waved it off and instead tried the garlic shrimps next while Sunwoo continued listening and staring at the singer who’s singing his heart out. It’s a beautiful mix of words, melody, and emotions fixed to embody a strong feeling of warmth and passion. Sunwoo smiled and decided that he wouldn’t let this person go. 

 

 

 

He waited by the back door and he smiled to himself when Junghwan strode as he clutched tightly on the cane and sauntered careful not to bump on to someone or something by that matter. Sunwoo pretended he’d been poked at and let out a low groan.

 

“I’m sorry!” Junghwan stammered before bowing deeply and Sunwoo kicked himself mentally for that silly trick.

 

“It’s okay,” Sunwoo replied and Junghwan widened his eyes before the man. He flashed a small smile and Sunwoo didn’t fail to notice that.

 

“Sunwoo-ssi,” Junghwan muttered and Sunwoo leaned closer while helping him with his bag that he’d dropped.

 

“Hey,” Sunwoo offered and latched the bag heedfully on Junghwan’s shoulder. “I was wondering if I can take you home?”

 

Junghwan tried his best to fight the silly smile and just shook his head. “I told you even if you insist—“

 

“Even if it rained?” Sun asked leaning closer and wrapping an arm around Junghwan’s waist, bringing him closer under the umbrella he’d opened for the two of them. 

 

“Even if—what?” Junghwan asked, searching for Sunwoo’s face and feeling all tingly under the embrace.

 

“Rain, even if it rains?” Sunwoo repeated as he slowly motion Junghwan into walking, guiding him attentively on the street. Slowly, he held Junghwan’s free hand and stretched out his arm outside the umbrella. Junghwan felt droplets on his palm and smiled but then frowned.

 

“I don’t see you with any umbrella,” Sunwoo muttered and Junghwan tried reasoning out of going back to borrow one but as they walk together away the building he just agreed and pushed himself closer Sunwoo so they won’t get wet and they’d both feel warm in the embrace.

 

Sunwoo smiled and brought him near. He glanced at Gongchan and flashed a wide grin. His secretary was holding a water hose, hoisted upwards and stopping the hole to make a relatively strong pressure to make rain. Dongwoo was standing beside him shaking his head.

 

“I thought I told you not to take advantage of him?” Dongwoo snickered and Gongchan glanced at him behind dope eyes.

 

“Sunwoo said he won’t agree on anything,” Gongchan replied. 

 

Dongwoo rolled his eyes and huffed, “I never thought your boss could be so cheesy.”

 

Gongchan frowned, “Hey, this is my idea!”

 

The pub manager fought the urge to laugh so hard. “Your idea? Crong really suits you! You cheesy Crong!”

 

Gongchan cringed his face and flashed the water hose towards Dongwoo and the two fought over the hose like a child. 

 

 

 

 

“You really shouldn’t have,” Junghwan tried reasoning out but Sunwoo had already locked the doors and helped him with his seatbelt. They’ve already managed out the street and Sunwoo stopped himself from pinching the cute cheeks because terribly, he’s just too cute and undeniably tempting.

 

“Just. You really would still opt to fight, seriously Junghwan.” Sunwoo replied instead, sounding so joyous and Junghwan moved his head to avert facing it on Sunwoo. 

 

“So after turning to this corner where should I head next?”

 

“Just follow this road until the last bus stop,” Junghwan replied. 

 

“The last bus stop? That’s almost 15 km.” Sunwoo chirped sounding worried this time and Junghwan smiled while leaning against the seat and placed his hands atop his lap and rubbing it lightly. Sunwoo noticed it and turned off the air conditioner and glanced at him while driving carefully.

 

“Sorry,” Junghwan mumbled closing his eyes and smiling to himself, “It’s just too cold recently.” 

 

 

 

After a few more turns and few stops, they arrived at Junghwan’s apartment and Sunwoo can’t help but feel so terrified for a blind living this far from his workplace. He parked and turned off the car engine. He got off the car and opened Junghwan’s door. 

 

Junghwan fell asleep and he smiled at those plump cheeks and half opened lips. He leaned down and tapped Junghwan’s shoulders. Junghwan stirred for a moment. He rubbed his eyes and let out a yawn. 

 

“I’m sorry,” Junghwan tried to get up and Sunwoo was quick enough to hold him by the hand and wrap another around his waist. “Oh, I can—“

 

Sunwoo cringed his face funnily and just pulled Junghwan to get off the car. He brought the bag and slung it on his arm. Junghwan felt Sunwoo’s warm hand and a bandage cloth?

 

“You’re hurt?” Junghwan asked, worry in his voice. Sunwoo pulled him closer as he shut the door close and guided the singer towards the door.

 

“It’s nothing,” Sunwoo waved off and they attentively strode off.

 

“Is it from last night?”

 

“It’s nothing.” But it was nothing most especially when Junghwan brought the hand near him when they stopped right in front of the doorstep. It was nothing when Junghwan held on his hand tightly and kissed the bruised knuckle. Sunwoo looked at him stunned and blushed madly. Junghwan was blushing quite deeply as well and tried to search for his face. Sunwoo instinctively pressed his forehead against Junghwan's and the singer hiccuped while motioning his eyes up.

 

“Thank you,” Sunwoo said and Junghwan can feel his cheeks warm deeper every second.

 

“I, I sh—I should be the one…thanking you,” Junghwan stuttered and Sunwoo smiled while pulling away.

 

“Well, good night,” Sunwoo bid and Junghwan nodded after turning to his side, picking the keys in his pocket and feeling the knob in his hand. Sunwoo watched him as he turned the knob and stepped inside. He stretched his cane and closed the door after smiling and Sunwoo looked at him with a smile and surprise.

 

“What are you smiling at?” he asked himself while grinning goofily to himself as well. Now the question is being asked to himself rather than to  Junghwan. Did he seriously think Sunwoo had walked off and hadn’t seen him smiling before getting inside? Is he happy that Sunwoo drove him home? And what was the kiss for? These thoughts ran endlessly inside his head but one thing’s for sure, he can’t stop thinking about him and the pitch black sky studded with bright stars celebrates his radiant feeling.

 

A/N: Told you so about the next quick update. Gah. I suggest that you listen to Kim Yoona's Nocturne while reading this one because it just brings you all emotions and feelings. But then again, that's just a suggestion. Thank you! Comments are loved! ❤️