Award and Punishment

[DISCONTINUED] Boyfriend Coffee House

Headlines about the recent activity in Boyfriend’s Coffee Shop spread like wild fire.

ATTACK ON BOYFRIEND’S MEMBER: SHOCKING CONFESSION!

ARE BOYFRIEND TAKING IT SERIOUSLY?

DUMFOUNDED, BOYFRIEND’S WAKE-UP CALL

Plus, many other headlines and tags all over the internet and blog-sites posting about Boyfriend’s incident with Junmei went overboard with pictures and videos with her “attacking” Hyunseong the other day. This in return troubled Starship Ent. With many reporters and calls made from Ent. Companies everywhere just to get a story or two about it. Boyfriend’s Manager; Jung Gu Won, had a headache all day long called Boyfriend to his office.

“Hyung hyung hyung! The manager isn’t really that angry with us, is he?” asked Jeongmin worryingly to Donghyun as they made their way to the manager’s office.

“I hope not,” he plied shortly.

“Ottoke ~” Jeongmin the joker who always smile, didn’t smile this time.

“I read a lot of articles on the fan-sites about us that day,” said Youngmin.

“You mean about Hyunseong hyung,” said Kwangmin.

Hyunseong shot the Jo twins a fierce look. Shut up.

“Now, now there. There’s no need to fight here,” said Minwoo trying to preserve the calamity. “We’ve just need to wait for what Manager Jung says.”

A very matured advice coming from Minwoo.

“Hyunseong ah… Relax alright?” said Donghyun with one hand on his shoulder.

“You know that it’s my fault. Why bother consulting me to rethink otherwise?” said Hyunseong coldly. Donghyun sighed; speechless towards his dongseang’s cold reaction. “Let’s get this over with…”

The six members of Boyfriend entered the manager’s office together…

X3

[[Chapter 2 – Award & Punishment.]]

X3

Junmei was at her normal course. Attending school normally, taking notes in class. Nothing in the world seemed to bother her outmost free mind at all. Even after the incident at Boyfriend Coffee House; girls and even boys seem to be talking; gossiping about it, nothing about it seems to penetrate Junmei’s carefree world as a girl. Who would mistaken her as the boy in the news?

Slowly, Kanna crept up to her and took a seat in front of Junmei who was busily reading her book. She didn’t even seem to take interest to look up to Kanna anymore.

“Junmei ah~ Miane…” said Kanna in a soft voice.

Junmei still ignore her best friend.

“About yesterday…” looking for any reaction from Junmei, “I shouldn’t made you apart from what I did. I’m really sorry.”

But that didn’t seem to peek Junmei’s interest either. Kanna was frustrated for having to say sorry multiple times and decided to ignore Junmei’s ignorance. “Fine Kim Jun Mei! I’m tired of being your best friend anymore. If you are still like this, I –“

Kanna paused when she saw Junmei stood up abruptly with her book close. She decided to take her book and exit the classroom to a quitter place for her to read her book; or to escape from the bad-mouthing people who knew half of the story she was involved in.

Irritated, Kanna called her. “YAH! Junmei ah~ !”

Junmei sopped just before leaving the classroom. Half of the class was surprised by Kanna’s voice. They all turned to Junmei like she had committed a crime.

“I don’t know why you are doing this to me. But I thought we are friends. We can share anything; everything.”

Junmei looked at Kanna with a cold look. “Yah ~ Chingu ah… If you want to break out the silence and remind me about our precious friendship, you might want to remind yourself not to consult me with Boyfriend again. That was the deal.”

Dumbfound, Kanna was speechless. The classroom was filled with confusion and Kanna sank into her seat. Friends hurdled around her asking a lot of questions after Junmei left the classroom.

Walking a few meters away from disaster, Junmei stopped. Her head hung low in depression. She muffled her hair hoped it would relieve the pressure she was having. It wasn’t about Kanna at all but rather to be worrying about was her status as a student. Yes, she was worried about the articles, the news, and the headlines; all about her creating the uproar at Boyfriend Café – what’s more; what has been amusing, she was totally fooling everyone for a guy. “Are you kidding me?” she mumbled under her breath.

A few moments later, a timid girl in glasses tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around to see a female freshman. “Are you Kim Jun Mei-shii?”

“That’s me… Wae yo?” asked Junmei.

“The principle has summoned you,” she said.

“Ha?!”

X3

 

X3

Junmei was finally in front of the Starship Entertainment building. Sighing deeply, she was unbelievably awed. WHY ON EARTH? As informed earlier by the principle, she has been given an important notice from the Starship Ent. Company she was summoned to attend a conference with the management group. The principle herself took a wild guess that it doesn’t concern anything about the recent news but rather, she saw Junmei’s potential in music.

“Even the principle was fooled?” said Junmei to herself. “THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!” she screamed.

People around her, ignored her and quickly avoided any kind of contact with her. Junmei confidently went into the building and met first with the receptionist.

“Hello, I have an appointment with the manager.”

“May I know which appointment?”

“The 4.30 p.m.”

“Kim Jun Mei-shii?” the receptionist asked.

“Yes,” Junmei replied casually.

“You must be mistaken. I thought Kim Jun Mei-shii is a male. The news about him is all over the place.”

“What?! I am Kim Jun Mei. You must freaking know that I AM HER!”

The receptionist backed away from the reception and two guards grabbed Junmei and escorted her roughly out of the building away from the company. Junmei roughly attempt to break loose but nothing works against two real men.

“DAARRNN! Stupid receptionist.” Junmei was furious. Even Starship thinks I’m a guy? So how come their letter even successfully reached me at my school? Where’s the catch dude?

“Junmei…” a soft voice calls her from her behind. When she turned around…

“Kanna…” she answered.

“Having difficulties getting in?”

“You know it’s your fault,” said Junmei standing upright. “Being mistaken as a guy. Do you know how that feels? –Awful.”

“You can’t get any more straightforward than that, can you?” said Kanna with a bitter smile.

Junmei smiled. Kanna was still Kanna to her; the person close to knowing everything about her.

Kanna gave her a plactic bag which contained some unusual clothes which wasn’t hers. “You’ll need this if you plan on attending that conference.”

Junmei looked at the content. “These are guy’s clothes. How did you know?”

“You dropped this silly,” Kanna handed over the Starship letter she received earlier at school. “What will happen if somebody else found this? People will absolutely going to bother you more than it is now.”

Junmei looked at Kanna’s apologic expression. She knew Kanna was sincerely sorry for sure. She couldn’t ask for more and hugged her best friend tightly. “Gomawo Kanna.”

Kanna felt happy because Junmei finally forgave her. “There –go in there and set things right. I’m sorry for causing a lot problems for you. I’m really sorry and I will be very sorry.”

“Oh c’mon. Let this be the end of it, OK? Trust me, when I come out of there, everything will be alright.”

Junmei confidently gave Kanna the ‘V’ sign as she walked away; running to the nearest public restroom to change her clothes; her image into the guy she surpassingly be. Difficult, but there was no other way she will be able to set things right if she didn’t show up at the conference. She will have this long talk with the manager of Starship Entertainment.

 

Junmei was already in the Starship building, as a guy, waiting for the manager who called her in today. Awkward. If it’s not like the first time dressing up like she is right now but to really convince everyone she is the guy from the Coffee House, the guy everyone’s been talking about in the Internet was a big responsibility she had to clear for herself. No, Kanna was there to support her. She wasn’t alone in this. Someone was waiting for her to clear things up.

“Kim Jun Mei-shii!” called a secretary.

“Ah ~” Junmei was finally called and followed the secretary into the room where she was lead to meet the manager at last. After waiting for almost an hour; she hoped the wait was worth to negotiate. When she gets into the private office, she saw a man in his late 30’s was attentively waiting for her. Beside him, was the same person who waited her and Kanna at the Coffee House; ‘Donghyun.’

“Ah ~ You must be the famous Kim Jun Mei. Welcome,” said manager Jung Gu Won.

Junmei bowed to Manager Jung and Donghyun in return, Donghyun bowed to her.

“You must know why you are called here, don’t you?” asked Guwon.

“Unless you tell me, I can never be too sure of myself,” said Junmei.

The manager laughed. Junmei was surprised. Why was reaction turned out to be so?

“You’re right Donghyun, he’s a very interesting character. Very honest; a natural.”

“I don’t understand,” said Junmei.

“Take a seat Junmei. There’s lots to discuss about your matter,” said the manager. The three of them took their seats. Junmei took a seat in front of Guwon’s desk and Donghyun beside the manager. The atmosphere turned serious by the moment.

“I’ll be frank with you. I don’t like controversies, do you?” Junmei quickly shook her head. She totally agrees with the manager about that. “So, why don’t we make a deal. Nothing much. If you work with me, be Boyfriend’s next big thing, clear up the whole catastrophe and we all are happy. How about it?”

“Wh –what?” Junmei was caught to be so dumb.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be paid for your daily service. As long you make the fans happy and me happy.”

“NO NO NO! I don’t understand. You want me as a part of Boyfriend? There’s no way. I’m in much trouble as it is,” said Junmei resfusingly.

Manager Jung and Donghyun laughed their hearts out.

“You really think we’re taking you as a new member of Boyfriend that easy? Who do you think you are? Suju?!” asked Manager Jung sarcastically.

Junmei was ultimately pissed off. Pfft. What kind of negotiation is this? Is he serious?

A piece of document was placed forward for Junmei to read. Donghyun explained. “We want you to work as a part of the Boyfriend Coffee Shop crew. Not as Boyfriend but a waiter.”

This wasn’t making any sense at all. She humiliated Hyunseong at the coffee shop and caused damage to Boyfriend’s image but now she had to work as a waiter at the same place. From her point of view, the vision of her working for them as their waiter at Boyfriend Coffee House was all unlikely.

“We will be working alongside you neither less. To rebuild our image as a band giving positive views to the public as all we ask for from you. We will handle and take care of you so that the fans see us are really considerate K-pop band members. You will be the voice of the public. So, we plead for your help Kim Jun Mei. Save our music career; save Boyfriend,” begged Donghyun on his knees.

The manager was on his knees too.

“Waeyo? Wae…?” Junmei was trembling. What was at stake right now that they had to beg this hard for her help when she had created the destruction? “There’s two thing you must be clear: I’m no K-pop fanatic. Two, I don’t even know what your industry or even Boyfriend band even do? How can I be accomplices?”

The manager got up, “Donghyun, that’s all right. You may take your leave. Let me talk to Junmei-shii alone for a while…”

“Arasso,” without another word, Donghyun obeyed and left Junmei with the manager.

An awkward silence was created when Junmei had to make her comfortable with the manager who just pleaded for her help. The manager took a very long time observing her.

“I know what you’re hiding Kim Jun Mei. So you don’t need to be alarmed around me.”

“HUH?” Junmei was even more alarmed when he said so.

“About you hiding your true identity. You are obviously a girl, aren’t you? I know.”

Junmei bit her lip. “Really? Then why…?”

“I want you to understand, as much this is hard for you… It is also hard for us; for all the members of Boyfriend. You saw how Donghyun had to beg for your assistance,” said Manager Jung.

“I didn’t expect him to… But does he –,” Junmei wondered if the others Boyfriend members knew her true gender. It’s a huge humiliation.

“No. For now, I’m the only one who knows. I don’t want any of my boys to worry about your gender concealment and it’s easier you can work for us this way. Boyfriend is a group; who has a majority of fans among the females than the males. We don’t need another girl involved in our account. It’s troublesome.”

“Another girl…? You mean Kanna?” asked Junmei.

The manager giggled. “Kan Na-shii is it? The one confessed to Hyunseong? Did you know that Hyunseong is the least most biased member among all the members in Boyfriend?”

“That didn’t stop my best friend confessing to him, did it?”

“You’re right. He’s in a lot of problems as if you didn’t notice.”

No I don’t. I’m not a fan…monologue Junmei.

“I want you to save his image because of a few mistakes and rumours in the past, things happen…” the manager paused and took in a deep breath as if the world was on his shoulders. “Things got out of hand and Boyfriend was disbanded of making an appearance until things resurface to a better condition for them.”

Junmei gave a long thought about what the manager said about Hyunseong and Boyfriend. What if what the manager said was true? She had this power to help them? But she already made up her mind she didn’t want to involve herself more than she was in the trend as she was now. Can there be any way out for her?

The manager took his seat at his desk observing Junmei. Practical about every detail. Junmei wasn’t half bad; he could understand how the public easily took her as a guy and she got personality but he wasn’t looking for a new talent but just to make amends with a person who can save Boyfriend’s image. If Junmei can work together with them in a certain amount of time, time will heal all connections Boyfriend has with the fans and they can finally make a comeback.

“Will you kindly accept our offer? We don’t ask much and we will pay for all your hard work.”

“Why must I? I came here to negotiate how remove my name from these rumours. I just want to live a normal life a high school student and resume what I’m already doing,” plead Junmei.

“You have absolutely no idea, do you? You naïve little brat. You are deeply involved as it is. No matter how you look at it, there’s no other way out. It’s either you take this way or the difficult way out. People will start to question if you were really a guy or not. When the public eventually finds out, you will just realize how much in a mess you are with the fans. Two girls have violated the laws of the famous Coffee Shop on Sunny Street. They won’t blame Starship or Boyfriend, but on you. Think about it. You and your best friend will be in a lot of trouble.”

“This is why I hate K-pop fanatics,” mumbled Junmei under her breath.

After a long thought, “Tell me what to do, sir,” said Junmei seriously.

Manager Jung smiled.

X3

 

X3

Three days later…

A special night party was held at Boyfriend Coffee House. A mini stage was set up and decorated with lights. Since at night, the roads of Sunny street were empty, the fans could gather in front of the shop; the stage comfortably without worry and speculate Boyfriend’s special mini performance. The occasion comes around rarely. Since, they had been banned for a period of time until the Music Industry could allow them to make a comeback.  This was all they could do in the meantime to keep their fans happy.

“Donghyun hyung ~ I’m nervous, will Junmei appear for us?” asked Minwoo.

“He has to. The manager asked so much of him already,” answered Donghyun who was also worried and nervous to the extent he’s starting to have cold hands.

“What are we supposed to tell the fans again? All this talk about ‘this guy’ is making me crazy,” said Jeongmin rubbing his hands together as if it decreases the nervousness he felt for himself.

Donghyun looked at all of his dongseangs with all worried faces. He knew they were no less worried as he was. The manager had told them that even so many rumours had surfaced about Kim Jun Mei and Boyfriend; ruining Boyfriend’s image more than before, he’s the only one who could repair it. The one who started it, must finishes it as they believed.

“What are we waiting for? The fans are waiting,” said Youngmin taking a peek through the curtains.

“I’d rather hide than go out there. The fans became quite scary than before,” said Kwangmin. “Each and everyone of us knows very well, the fans critiques and comments about has changed since then. No offence Donghyun hyung, Hyunseong hyung… But, they may hate us for what has happened.”

A silence was created. The past really haunted them. The tragedy of 3 months ago.

“Don’t worry! The fans don’t hate us. They don’t hate us guys,” said Donghyun convincingly giving a little courage to his group members. Breaking the silence.

Hyunseong who have been quiet in the corner hid his face of guilt. “It’s my fault,” he said very slowly. No one could hear him with that slow voice far away from the others.

“Hyunseong hyung! Hwaiting!” cheer the other Boyfriend members.

Hyunseong got up from his seat and joining the other. Although he felt very disappointed with himself, he won’t disappoint his group members.

“Hyunseong hyung, we all have your back. Let’s face our fans together,” said Jeongmin.

“They are all waiting for us,” said Minwoo.

“Let us give them our best… Boyfriend, hwaiting!” roared the Boyfriend members. It was time for them to make an appearance on stage.

All of them appeared very charismatic, cheerful and very energic but after a while, the members noticed that there were only five of them on stage. Hyunseong was nowhere to be found. Donghyun and the others were worried, was Hyunseong attempting to run away from the fans again. DAMMIT Hyunseong, Donghyun thought. They cannot perform well without their main vocal in the group. The fans all murmured in tension when a surprising appearance suddenly takes the spotlight.

It was the same boy Boyfriend encountered the other day who humiliated Hyunseong, Kim Jun Mei. Donghyun was in relief. So relieved he hugged Junmei on the stage. The other Boyfriend members and the crowd was so surprised to extent no one said a word.

“Thanks for showing up Junmei-shii,” said Donghyun.

“I’m glad to make it here,” said Junmei.

The crowd started to murmured again. This time, they were confused why Donghyun was treating Junmei very nicely. Junmei knew she was already recognizable by everyone; as the guy who created chaos in Boyfriend Coffee House; as a guy. Slowly taking the microphone, Junmei was ready for the biggest confession of her life.

Nervous. “Anneyong haseyo, I’m Kim Jun Mei. Yes, I am the one who came to the café 3 days ago; the same person who humiliated Hyunseong; not only him but all the Boyfriend members. I’m very, very sorry. I’ve seen it all, the photos, the videos and the blog posts you posted on the internet about me, about my friend the other day. I was really sad but I deserved it.”

“Junmei hyung ~” Minwoo placing a gentle hand on her shoulder trying to tell her, they forgave her.

Junmei curved a smile. “To be honest, I’m a jerk. I’m too honest in fact I wish I could do more to protect my friend even if it meant the whole world had to hate me because I said some rude stuff to a Kpop idol. I don’t care what you post about me. I really don’t.”

The crowd murmured. “What is he trying to say?” “Get out of here!” “We all hate you, don’t you get it?”

Hyunseong in the shop listened attentively, was still scared to show his face. The face who scarred the image of Boyfriend but was now hearing to one person who didn’t care if he was hurt; paining all alone confessed to many how right he was to just be himself. Hyunseong wasn’t alone but has s to support him. He changed a lot since that day… But that didn’t change how Donghyun, Jeongmin, Youngmin, Kwangmin, Minwoo; not even his fans supported him. What was left for him to be afraid of?

“Please don’t tell something I already know. Keke ~ OK, that’s not funny but I want you know one thing, all those things you posted about me, forget it –you all are so crazily in love with Boyfriend and supported them all the way through that make everyone sub-consciously flames me. Indirectly, Boyfriend is a group many of you present here today will never give up supporting. You don’t need me to tell it to them; all of these cool guys know it and return it to you. Boyfriend is very thankful for your unconditional support. Kamsahamnida!” That ends Junmei’s speech and she was overflowed with tears. She was half conscious from where she found the words to express but that was she can do to patch up the damage she has created.

A few moments later, Hyunseong appeared. That explained the increasing silence.

“Hyunseong ah~” “Hyung!” the members called Hyunseong, surprised he was on the same stage as them.

Hyunseong and Junmei exchanged eye contact. He saw the tears in her eyes; Junmei’s sincerity which he already heard earlier though her words. Then he faced the crowd he left so long. A lump of overwhelming feelings flooded his mind and body. Stunned to see so many fans waiting for them to perform.

“Hyunseong oppa! Gwenchana?” “Oppa! We really missed you!” “We miss you oppa~” “We love you oppa!” the crowd screamed all together conveying their own message for Hyunseong. Hyunseong was evenly touched by their words and was almost crying. He never knew his absence left a big hole in Boyfriend.

“It’s alright Hyunseong. We’re a team remember?” said Donghyun from his behind.

Hyunseong nodded, still feeling overwhelmed by the fans support. Looking at each and everyone’s happy expression made him stronger. And last but not least Junmei.

“Kim Jun Mei!” he called through the microphone.

Junmei was shocked when Hyunseong called her name.

“From the first time I met you, you’re really an eyesore. And even now, you’re absolutely so uncool. How can you cry like that?” Hyunseong’s word stung her like a bee. She quickly rubbed her teary eyes. “Eventhough you’re going to be a pain in the , you will be bound to this café until I say so!” announced Hyunseong give a serious, sharp stare.

Junmei frighten by his serious words was driven back. What’s up with him all of a sudden? Until he says so? When did he become the boss of me?!  “Wae?! You’re not the boss of me!”

“I’m sorry Junmei-shii, Hyunseong gets the call here. You are bound under our contact but Hyunseong gets the call until when you’re done with us,” said Donghyun with a cheeky smile.

“Donghyun hyung! You never told me anything,” said Junmei.

“We’ll be working together soon Junmei hyung!” said Minwoo; excited. “Work hard, OK?”

Jo Youngmin and Jo Kwangmin high fived each other as a sign of victory. “A win! Welcome to Boyfriend Junmei hyung!”

“Hyunseong is really eying on you, be careful Junmei hyung,” said Jeongmin.

TELL ME THIS IS LIE. THIS MUST A BE A DREAM. I’M NOT ACTUALLY HERE.  Kim Jun Mei was on the verge of insanity. From hate, everyone starts to show some friendly relationship towards her. This wasn’t the life she wanted to get involved in. She kept telling herself, K-pop is only a trend not the contributor of the new millennium. Not in every possible way… There was no way that not even Boyfriend can convince her. Not in her world, it’s possible.

 

To be continued… Ppyong!