Battle of the Genders

[DISCONTINUED] Boyfriend Coffee House

‘Friends… huh?’ thought Junmei to herself. That night she was caught by Hyunseong’s words. Out of all things to happen in her dream land, she was alone with the person she dislikes the most among Boyfriend, to be lectured what she can do, what she can’t.

“Then stop pretending being someone you aren’t. It’s better that way…”

Those words were still fresh in her mind. She wondered what he meant by them. Then she caught Hyunseong from the tail of her eye coming out from the kitchen. She had to ask, “Hyunseong ah…”

Hyunseong paused by her side, “What?”

“About the other day, what did you mean by ‘that’?”

“’That?’” he repeated.

She dialogued his words again; one by one exactly like him that night, “Stop pretending being someone you aren’t. That, ‘that’.”

“Oh…” replied Hyunseong. He eyed Junmei who was very curious; determined to know. Hyunseong thought for a while. What if I said, stop being a guy and admit you’re a girl. That settles it. He thought, that wasn’t it. It doesn’t seem right. He looked at her again. “It means…”

“Well…?”

“Stop being a jerk and admit you’re a K-pop lover. It’s too obvious,” he said ruffling her hair roughly.

“OUCH!” she exclaimed. She wasn’t satisfied with the answer and totally disagrees to his point. “I’m not going to admit that. I’m not like any kind of gi-gir….!” Oh damn. I almost slipped.

“Like any kind of what…?” asked Minwoo and the Jo twins in synchronization. They have been listening to the conversation from the start and wondered just as much the end of Junmei’s frustration. They smiled teasingly at her.

Junmei grumbled to notice now there were three little mice ears dropping on her conversation. As they came closer, she exclaimed, “Come closer or I’ll chop your ears off!” with a knife in her hand.

The three maknaes rushed backwards up the wall; in fear of Junmei’s short temper. Shivering, Minwoo, “Noonim is scary,” he said under his breath.

Kwangmin eyeballs rounded at Minwoo, “You called her noonim?”

Minwoo sweat drops; nervously. “Oh… Well…”

“Where did she get that knife?” asked Youngmin.

That was logic: ‘Where did she get that knife?’ Wondered the three of them together.

Jeongmin just came from the kitchen saw his three dongsaes was acting weird, he had to ask, “What are you three doing? Why aren’t you working?”

“It’s Junmei hyung…” Youngmin pointing out to Junmei; wobbling in fear.

“Ohh! Hyung!” he called Junmei. The three maknaes startled by Jeongmin’s confrontation as he approached Junmei. “Junmei, shouldn’t the results of your Finals’ be out by now?”

The maknaes stared at each other in unison. “Finals?”

Junmei thought for a while, “Yes they have.”

Jeongmin clapped happily. “So how did you do?”

“Well –I…” when Junmei was about to reveal her results of her high school education examinations then suddenly a loud argument interrupted Jeongmin’s and Junmei’s conversation from the café’s entrance. The both of them quickly hurried to front to find Hyunseong and an unknown female customer arguing.

“What’s going here Hyunseong hyung?” asked Jeongmin.

Hyunseong didn’t turn to Jeongmin as he questioned but eyed seriously; madly at the girl who was looking very cross. The girl was in a red long coat, red fluffy hat. Her dark black hair seen long along her back was smooth. She was pretty, no doubt. But her age…

“I’m here to see Donghyun oppa! Let me in!” she ordered roughly trying to push herself in through Hyunseong’s tough protection of the entrance.

“I told you already, you aren’t allowed in here if you aren’t with a partner,” said Hyunseong.

“I’m here to see my Oppa! Donghyun oppa! He’s working here.” She carefully eyed Junmei and Jeongmin who were too shocked to say anything. She was acting to persistent. “You two work here, don’t you? As waiters here, you can’t have a customer standing out here right?”

“But, you aren’t a customer here if you are alone. You heard Hyunseong hyung, you can’t enter without your Boyfriend,” said Jeongmin. Sweat drops.

“DONGHYUN OPPA!!!” she screamed. “Are you just stupid? I am Donghyun’s girlfriend, so that makes me eligible to enter this place!” she pointed at them.

“WHAAAAATTT?!!!” the Boyfriend members wailed in shock.

“Are you sure?” asked Junmei; the only one trying to be as composed as possible. The girl turned her fiery eyes to Junmei who didn’t react any different than before. When Junmei saw her eyes, she scoffed and looked away.

The footsteps were heard from the top staircase, it was Donghyun.

“What’s going on down here? I heard someone called me,” he said. Then he noticed his Boyfriend members standing in shock. A mysterious customer in front of the café he tried to make out tried to push herself in.

The girl was excited and with all her might finally made her way in. Maybe Hyunseong got distracted he lost all means to block her. “Oppa! Donghyun oppa!” she called. She ran to Donghyun oppa and hugged him. Again the Boyfriend members were surprised.

Donghyun didn’t flinched from her made Junmei curious. Donghyun looked at his dongsaes and back to the girl. She said, “Oppa, I miss you…”

He smiled, “Long time no see Haeun-shii.” He caressed her head.

Sweat drops, the Boyfriend members are yet to figure out who was this girl name Haeun, claimed to be Donghyun’s girlfriend.

X3

[[Chapter 6 – Battle of the Genders]]

X3

 

The girl named Haeun treated herself some special Chocolate fudge cake on the rooftop, the special Boyfriend hang out space where she won’t be bothered by the other customers. The customers who witnessed the commotion she made earlier were already curious when she exclaimed she was Donghyun’s girlfriend but that was settled immediately when Donghyun said she was a childhood friend. Donghyun being courteous of her, brought her upstairs in the café himself. She was very delighted.

The Boyfriend members were discouraged. Not only they thought they had disrespected a friend of their leader but things got out of hand; things got worse than that. She was ordering the Boyfriend members everywhere, except Donghyun of cause.

“Why is she even here?” asked Jeongmin in depression.

“Did you see what she did to me?” asked Minwoo, his hands on knees; tired. “She tried to make me change all her knives and forks every time she wants to eat a new dish and desert. Why can’t she use the same knife and fork she used earlier?!” grumbled Minwoo.

“This is rare of Minwoo to rumble,” said Kwangmin. “You actually like entertaining the customers. Why is it different with Haeun-shii?”

“Aren’t you relaxed Kwangmin ah?” said Minwoo sarcastically.

“Isn’t it because she is Donghyun hyung’s girlfriend, you feel troubled?” teased Youngmin sarcastically.

“Shut up Youngmin,” said Minwoo slapping him with a towel.

They then saw, Hyunseong helping Junmei carrying a wooden table up to the second floor which obviously Hyunseong and Junmei was having trouble with. Jeongmin and Kwangmin quickly came to their assistance while Youngmin opened the sliding door opening their way to the open roof space where Haeun was having her rest time. Lastly, Minwoo helped by wiping the table.

“Omo! Kamsamnida everyone. It’s good to know Oppa has such useful workers at his cafes. Then I don’t have to worry,” commented Haeun. This triggered Boyfriend’s irritation.

“We’re not Donghyun hyung’s workers,” said Youngmin.

“He works here as well,” continued Minwoo. Both maknaes shot their irritation.

“That’s enough Minwoo, Youngmin, let’s get back to work,” said Junmei turning her back around going back down to continue her work.

“You better do, pauper.”

What did she call me? Pauper? Who’s the pauper??? Thought Junmei slightly irritated. Haeun caught her annoyed and continued.

“That’s right. Work your back off if you want to pay off your debt. You must like work here, don’t you?” she said sarcastically. “Surrounded by Boyfriend, any girl’s dream come true.” She mumbled under her breath turning the fruit cocktail between her fingers.

“Huh?” Junmei scoffed. “What are you trying to imply?”

“Don’t feel so cocky being accepted here Junmei-shii. It’s only temporary.”

“Who says I’m working here forever? I’ll quit one day.”

“He-hey!” The Boyfriend members except Hyunseong fumbled over Junmei’s content.

“Oh, sweet music to my ears. I’d like to see the day you do but I can’t. I have other things to do, I’m a busy person.”

“I know Haeun-shii. You ARE Donghyun’s girlfriend after all,” Junmei said finally in her sarcastic tone. She can’t handle the irritation anymore.

“Oh you bet I am,” she said stepping a little more closely to Junmei glaring her fierce eyes to her. “And don’t ever mention my oppa’s name so casually like that in front of me, again!”

Half-screamed, Junmei’s eyes automatically shut but Hyunseong’s hand covered her weaken expression. “That’s enough,” he said.

Irritated; furious, Haeun knocked his hand away soon as Junmei’s face already was no longer clear to read. She quickly walked away to the glass door to find Donghyun standing strictly there watching his crew. Junmei was still in a state of no explaination and the rest stood completely clueless.

“Junmei-shii…” said Donghyun trying to call her but she continued walking even passing him to the ground floor expecting customers waiting for somebody to serve them. Donghyun looked back at his awful expressions of s and then to Haeun who wasn’t looking any better.

“Do I need to ask?” asked Donghyun. The members shook their heads and one by one came closer to him. “Then I have nothing to say either to you. Get back to work.” They abide; leaving Donghyun alone with Haeun.

“Haeun…” “Oppa…”

“Haeun, do have a problem with me working here?” he asked.

“No, oppa…”

“Then, do you have a problem with any of my members?”

“No…”

“Then why?” he asked as they both settled on the bench.

Haeun sat that silently in her position. Not answering.

“Do you hate me?” he asked Haeun.

“Of cause NOT oppa!” she shook her head furiously.

“Then don’t treat them so badly. Boyfriend is important to me, you know that,” he said and Haeun nodded understandingly. “And to Junmei, be nice to him as well, especially to Junmei.”

“Junmei?! But why? Didn’t he cause the ruckus in this café? And brought shame upon Boyfriend? I don’t like him!” she said hatefully.

Donghyun patted Haeun’s head carefully. Shhs her down… “It’s not entirely his fault. Bear in mind, we are all in this together. That’s why he’s here, we all are here,” he said bringing Haeun closer to him. Haeun carefully placed her head on Donghyun’s shoulder giving up to Donghyun’s comforting words and embrace even though she was still being hateful towards Junmei.

Hyunseong, heard everything.

 

Back downstairs, Hyunseong noticed someone familiar talking to Junmei in the café. “Isn’t that…?”

Junmei was either surprise or happy when Kanna suddenly showed up at the Boyfriend café. Kanna had great news for her but… Junmei wasn’t expecting that Kanna would find her here in the café to tell her the news.

“You should have just waited for me at home,” said Junmei holding the piece of brown envelope that had all her school certificates and final exam results.

“But you are even hardly at home anymore,” said Kanna.

Kanna had a point, thought Junmei. She almost forgot that she has been busy working at the Boyfriend café almost 24 hours after school. “But how did you find me here?”

Kanna knew Junmei was hiding from her something but she was surprised enough that her bestfriend was working at the famous Boyfriend coffee house. “You don’t think, this isn’t a big enough proof you are working here?” she said showing Junmei the cover page of Teen Iva’s New Year’s magazine.

Of cause! How could Junmei forget? The Boyfriend photo shoot she had with Boyfriend previously. She can’t run from lying about that. But she was told by a lot of people that she wouldn’t look recognizable after all those hours of dressing up and wearing make-up.

“You can’t fool your bestfriend, you know,” said Kanna.

“Are you sure, you’re the only one know who knows I’m working here?” asked Junmei hiding behind her hand over her face.

Kanna just nodded and smile. Junmei smiled and let out a big breath of relief. Kanna eyed behind Junmei, Hyunseong watching over them. “So the big guy giving you any trouble?” she asked curiously.

Junmei turned around to see Hyunseong was the person Kanna meant. “A LOT of trouble.”

She said that indeed for Hyunseong to hear. He turned around irritated. “Bwoh? Am I then?”

“You are, aren’t you? I’m not referring to no one else.”

“Say that again!”

“As many times I like…”

And the argument went on again until Kanna realized that argument they have was really…

Jeongmin snatched the brown envelope that Junmei was holding and opened it excitingly. “So in here is all Junmei hyung’s school achievements. So happy ~ !”

Junmei and Hyunseong immediately stopped arguing and raised their awareness to Jeongmin. “Stop looking into that Jeongmin!” said Junmei.

The maknaes rushed to cover Jeongmin hoping Junmei won’t interfere their exploration of their new findings. “Aigoo yah!” Junmei exclaimed.

“Ooooohhh…” exclaimed the maknaes and Jeongmin together.

“Junmei hyung is amazing,” said Minwoo as he looked at her.

Kanna then said, “As expected of the school’s star student.”

Hyunseong than interrupted the group and took the examination slip, “A first grade?”

“Flawless results,” added Kanna being proud of it.

“They aren’t even your results,” said Youngmin irritatingly.

Junmei could only look back at the boys with her usual poker face and put out her hand asking back her certificate. Hyunseong being dragged into Junmei’s aura could only abide her request gave back her exam results. And even Jeongmin, gave back the envelope containing her extra-curricular certificates. Then Donghyun surprised her from behind.

“Junmei-shii, are those your results?” he asked innocently. Junmei nodded.

“How are they?”

“She’s a genius!” said The Maknae line syncronizingly.

Donghyun could only let out a small laugh. Junmei noticed another envelope in Donghyun’s hand, curious to know its content. “Hyung, what’s that?” she asked.

Donghyun finally realized why he was downstairs again lifted the envelope. “Oh this? This belongs to Hyunseong. Hyunseong! This came in for you,” he said passing the envelope to him.

All eyes turned to Hyunseong, even Junmei and Kanna as well. Hyunseong slowly opened his letter and took out the contents. It was his exam results. A dark cloud surrounded them around Hyunseong. Hyunseong slowly shuffled the papers and after scanning them through, he put them back in and sighed. Junmei couldn’t help to bother.

“Hyunseong? Are you OK?”

Hyunseong took his leave from the group into the kitchen to be undisturbed.

Donghyun could only pat Junmei’s shoulder and followed Hyunseong to the back of the café. Junmei could have figured out much and wished to do something the others would probably do – comfort him. That’s what friends do, right Hyunseong?

Not to forget, Haeun watched them observantly, quietly from the stairs. “Kim Jun Mei, you won’t get your way that easy.” 

X3

 

X3

Back to daily basis, the café went back to business and by the time it was 4.00 p.m. the Boyfriend Coffee Shop crew went back busy; returning to positions before the crowd of people fill the café back from their workplaces or schools. It was their peak time where every worker had to focus on their work. Junmei caught up in the routine had this under control for it has already been a few months she’s been working under Boyfriend’s care and the customers were well-accustomed to Junmei’s hospitality as a waiter there. Unlike the first, two weeks she started. As guessed, the bad haze she created was being slowly forgotten now.

“Umm… Kanna, why are you still around?” asked Junmei curious to why she was still having tea in the café. She thought Kanna’s purpose visiting her today was settled she would go straight back home.

“Omo! Are you sending a customer back home, oppa?” asked Kanna teasingly.

“Oppa?” Junmei’s eyebrows furrowed together as she heard the word while cleaning a table near Kanna was sitting by.

Kanna just giggled. “I’ll go if that’s what you want but let me stay just a little while…” then her attention was directed to an interesting character who was also a member of Boyfriend. I guess I can’t forget him, Junmei. Mianhe… “You know how my fandom works better than anyone.”

“Right… Hurry up; I need to clean up OK?” Junmei then walked to the kitchen to wash the dirty cloth she used to wipe the table and find Hyunseong washing the dishes. At first she paused to think what she should say to him but decided to keep quiet. Somehow, when she was there beside him, washing the cloth in another sink, Hyunseong can’t help to notice her hands fidgeting; trembling.

“Yah! What’s with you?” he asked in an oddly manner.

Junmei still kept quiet and thought in deeply and release a deep breath out. Sighing as well. “You know Hyunseong, you can tell me… What’s wrong; your troubles.”

“And you’re saying is…?”

“Like you said, we’re friends, so as a friend – let me help you lift your burden.”

Hyunseong paused, a silence was created.

“Aniya… Nothing is wrong in particular…”

“You look depressed after getting your results, so I thought.”

“YAH!” Hyunseong exclaimed. “Jinjja? Is that what you thought that’s bothering me? For your information, I may not be a smart head like you, I didn’t fail OK? I just…”

Junmei waited for him to continue.

“I just thought… I could pass the exam…” he paused and Junmei looked more interested than before. “Before the exam, we just finished a big comeback way back… and because we were very busy preparing for the performance and stuff I didn’t had enough time to study, plus I caught a cold on the day of my exam, I thought I would never pass.”

“Oh…” Junmei finalized in return understanding how he would feel.

Hyunseong smiled at Junmei’s reaction and ruffled her hair. “So don’t worry about me anymore. You just take care of yourself from now on. You have a long road ahead of you to determine your future.”

Junmei being annoyed by people touching her hair often today tidied her hair. “You betcha’!” She smiled.

Afterwards, Hyunseong pulled his face away to hide his embarrassing expression; I can’t help it that you’re too smart to be a girl! I’m supposed to be the macho one here, not you! Aiishhh!

“Ne, Junmei hyung!” Youngmin came out from nowhere interrupted the pair. “It’s your turn to take out the trash.”

“OK Youngmin ah!” she replied getting back to work. She collected all the trash from the second floor and the first floor and tied the big black plastic trash bag and made her way out the back door to the main trash compound box.

As she finished throwing it away, she quickly made her way back to the café when suddenly… SPLASH!!! Junmei was drenched with water came from somewhere above. By the time she looked up, nothing; absolutely nothing was a sign that something or someone was playing tricks on her. She was confused how to react but she wanted to change into dry clothes quickly as it was still cold season and she wouldn’t want to catch a cold. She ran into the café and bumped into someone unconscious.

“Junmei ah, gwenchana?!” asked Donghyun looking quite shocked seeing Junmei in such a condition.

“Ani… Just let me change my clothes,” she replied pushing Donghyun carefully aside and continued walking up the stairs to the changing room.

Kwangmin and Youngmin who were busy serving the customers on the second floor noticed Junmei hurried in the changing room turned very curious to what’s up with their hyung. They approached the changing room and Youngmin casually turned the door knob. Kwangmin hit his twin’s hand in a snap.

“Yah! Junmei hyung is in there,” he said. Youngmin turned to his younger twin looked oblivious.

Then it hit him. “Oh! Aigoo… Then, he must be… but then why?”

Kwangmin knocked the door, “Hyung, are you alright in there?” he asked through the door.

“I’m OK.”

“Are you sure? You went inside very abruptly,” said Youngmin.

“I’m fine! Don’t worry about me… I’ll be out in a few minutes…” replied Junmei in a weak voice.

Youngmin and Kwangmin could only exchange glances and believe Junmei’s is fine. So they left Junmei alone and continued their work. Little that they know, somebody was being very sneaky trying infiltrate the changing room to get a peek at Junmei.

“With this, I can’t show to Donghyun oppa, who’s the big liar now,” said Haeun ready with her camera. She snapped a photo and Junmei quietly changing her clothes and closed the door after successfully executing her master plan. After that, when she turned around, her face turned pale when she saw Donghyun with arms cross looked seriously into her eyes. “Oppa… This is not what you think. I would never…!”

Donghyun pulled Haeun away to a much quieter place to discuss.

“Haeun-shii! Delete that!” he asked strictly.

“Delete what! I don’t have anything on me!” she said being protective.

“Haeun! I mean it, I trust you… We have been best friends since forever.”

“Be-best friends? Is that you have been seeing me as all this time oppa?” asked Haeun almost into tears. “After all this time, after I showered you with my affection, why can’t you see how much I love you oppa?”

Donghyun came closer to Haeun looking down to the girl who he once knew to be his best friend since childhood. He was in the position to be called a man and he knew that girl in front of him wasn’t a girl anymore – but a fine a young lady. He was at fault for not realizing and hurting her feelings. “Mianhe Haeun.”

“Oppa…” she mumbled between her tears. She saw Donghyun putting out his hand.

“But I need the camera. Delete that photo of Junmei.”

Haeun couldn’t… “Why Junmei? Why not me? I can’t work here with you. Take care of you, always.”

“Do you think you being here is going to solve what we are having trouble with now? Junmei is not an exception, no one is,” said Donghyun. Haeun was puzzled. “Junmei is under a very strict contract with Starship. Listen here, I would love anybody to work with us, even you, but not under the state Junmei is right now. It’s no fun like that.”

Haeun bit her lip. Not giving up… “But, she’s lucky…”

Donghyun tilted his head. “She?”

“Oppa knows right? Junmei-shii, is a girl. I mean, how you look at her, I know she’s special to you because you used to smile like that around me too. I saw you oppa and I got jealous.” With that last confession she gave Donghyun the camera.

Donghyun fidgeted the camera. “Mianhe. But I really need your trust right now Haeun. Can you keep Junmei’s identity a secret?” –photo deleted.

“Before that, can you tell me why?”

Donghyun nodded. And the two friends walked back together to the café, hand by hand… Slowly.

 

The Boyfriend members gathered after all the customers cleared the coffee house and they were ready to clean up the place when Donghyun called for a meeting saying that Haeun had something important to announce.

“What does that witch have to say now?” asked Minwoo.

“Minwoo! Quiet…” said Jeongmin pinched his arm. Minwoo just flinched in pain.

Junmei just looked down weakly not ready to face the tainted princess Donghyun’s treasured. She saw how Donghyun and Haeun walked hand in hand into the café from the back door through the kitchen but couldn’t bother to say much. She tried to ignore them but she coulnd’t help when her heart was saying something else.

Aigoo! Junmei, why are you thinking so strangely? She quickly shook her head. Then Donghyun and Haeun entered the room where the members gathered.

“Sorry guys for holding you all back but Haeun have something important to say. I hope you can hear her out,” said Donghyun taking his place next to Haeun.

Haeun weakly smiled to the 5 boys and 1 unsure gender still. She was nervous but she had to do this. First she bowed to them, very long. The boys surprised and all stammered in position. Haeun then said, “Sorry everyone for causing so much trouble today. I know I done so many bad things and demand of you so selfishly. Cheomal mianhe! All this time, I was away from Donghyun oppa and miss him a lot, I got jealous how happy he is with all of you, so I am sorry to mess all that up for all of you.”

“Haeun-shii…”

“We accept your apology, but why?”

“It’sall my fault; my fault alone. I realized it, with Donghyun’s advice.”

“You are really annoying you know what?” said Jeogmin. “But… I guess Hyunseong can be the judge of annoyance since he had to put up with Junmei hyung everyday.”

“Yah! What’s that supposed to mean?” said Hyunseong and Junmei together.

The other members laughed including Haeun. “Junmei-shii, mian… I misjudged you. You are a great person. Please take care of my oppa while I’m away.”

“Your oppa?” asked Minwoo raising an eyebrow.

“He’s still my oppa! Even though were only friends,” said Haeun hugging onto Donghyun’s arm.

Donghyun and Haeun exchanged glances as if they could read each other’s’ minds. Best friends indeed. That signalled that Haeun had finished talking to them and Donghyun accompanied her to the front as Haeun’s driver was already waiting for her. Boyfriend waved goodbye to Haeun and Haeun returned them with the brightest smile of sincerity.

Donghyun turned to Junmei who was recently clueless when suddenly Haeun on her way out whispered something in her ear. I guess that’s only Junmei’s and Haeun’s little secret.

Don’t fall in love with Donghyun oppa, or I will kill you. That thought played in Junmei’s mind over and over again until she could understand what Haeun meant. Guys don’t fall in love with each other. Junmei was straight! Wait a minute, she is straight!

“Alright! We’ll be going back first,” said Donghyun waving back to Minwoo and Junmei who had to stay back as it was their turn to clean up the place at night before completely closing the place.

“Minwoo, will you be OK?” asked Youngmin.

“Of cause! I’m a big boy too, you know!” he smirked back at the yellowed-hair twin.

“Take care of Junmei hyung, got it?” said Kwangmin finally as the twin makes their leave.

Minwoo just signalled a peace sign at them as the rest of Boyfriend left the place completely only to him and Junmei. It meant lots of work to be done. An awkward silence between them.

“Ah… I’ll get the water and mops ready,” said Minwoo going back to the kitchen.

Junmei nodded and went to the fruit bar. Then she walked to the serving bar, and grabbed the nearest cloth and started wiping the bar clean but she can’t help to think something weird was going on with her head. “Ouch! My head,” she exclaimed.

Why? I can’t feel my hands anymore. Even my legs are fe-feeling numb… I… I feel… So… Hot… Junmei suddenly collapse to the ground very abruptly. Before she passed out, she could hear footsteps. Was it Minwoo, he’s the only one with her. He was calling her name… He’s very worried.

“Hyung! Hyung! Junmei!!!”

 

To be continued… Ppyong!